• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Walking Dead - Season 2 - Sundays on AMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
My friend started watching this show and has caught up to the last episodes and he says it's like the worst show ever, the writing is horrible and the characters are all unlikeable. So why do you guys watch it?

Anyone with good taste knows the show has horrible writing. People keep watching because the show has a few amazing scenes that give us hope as we wade through the melodramatic soap opera with brain-dead zombies (and the walkers eating them).

Raoh

My friend started watching this show and has caught up to the last episodes and he says it's like the worst show ever, the writing is horrible and the characters are all unlikeable. So why do you guys watch it?

What is your opinion of the show? Do you think your friend is right?

The main problem with this is that its your friends opinion and your asking us why we would watch a show your friend hates and you yourself have not watched.

Everyone has different opinions. LOST was successful but not everyone watched it, I hated Friends, I hate reality tv but its still popular.

Mind you, if I truly hate a show, I would have gave up after a few episodes not after the most current episode.

Vagabundo

I'm sad to see Dale go. I liked the way he pissed off Shane and, while I didn't agree with him on the boy, I think he is right and the group needs to have a process. They need to be making more level headed decisions on stuff and not just one or two taking the lead and doing what they please. For good or ill they are a group now and they need to all pull together and stop with the stupid shit.

The level of complacency about the zombie threat does bother me sometimes. I wish they would show more of the precautions they take. Letting the kid wander around in zombie swamp is just stupid.

Anyway I'm sure this is all academic now. The shit is going to hit the fan in the next two episodes to get them on the move again I'm sure.

Volimar

Lauren Cohan and Zachary Levi will be on Talking Dead this Sunday.

I'm horrible with actor names so I had to imdb that, but damn if Lauren Cohan looks completely different than she does on TWD.

En5oB.jpg

Edit - HOLY SHIT SHE WAS BELA!?!?!?!

zMWOX.jpg

Mindblown.jpg

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
I re-watched the scene where Dale gets attacked. I think the zombie was hiding in the pile of burned zombies that Dale walked by just moments before he was attacked. This would fit right in with theory that the ninja zombie was a lurker like they have in the comic as they like to play dead. They even zoomed into the zombie pile and everything when Dale went by.

andycapps

I'm horrible with actor names so I had to imdb that, but damn if Lauren Cohan looks completely different than she does on TWD.

En5oB.jpg

Wow, and I thought she was cute on the show.

Korey said:

Your friend must not have watched much TV if this is the worst show he has ever seen. Watch any procedural detective type show and they're all significantly played out and piss poor. TWD has it's issues, for sure, but a lot of us are invested in the characters as we know them from the comics. Plus, it being a zombie show is pretty rare. And there have been some good episodes, though there is still a lot of room for improvement.

Your friend must not have watched much TV if this is the worst show he has ever seen. Watch any procedural detective type show and they're all significantly played out and piss poor. TWD has it's issues, for sure, but a lot of us are invested in the characters as we know them from the comics. Plus, it being a zombie show is pretty rare. And there have been some good episodes, though there is still a lot of room for improvement.

It's sad to say, because I really wanted to like this show, but there are plenty of procedurals that are better than The Walking Dead.

bengraven

I had no idea that was Bella from Supernatural. She was classy sexy in that show but this one I'd never have recognized her. Never in a million years would I make that connection.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
A lot of motherfuckers in this thread are straight up lying. LYING.
Zombies in the comics do stealth mode all the fucking time. Almost every single time they are shown.
Recent example: Look at their arrival in issue #94... those things are like, 10 feet away before anyone notices them?
Seriously, they discuss different "types" of zombies and how they behave in the comics, there isn't any real reason to complain about this sorta' shit, when you could be complaining about something that matters to the quality of the show.

The TV show's zombies, behave the way the TV show's zombies behave. Any inconsistency you detect, is just another wrinkle in the details.

Now lets get back to talking about the bad writing and stop pretending it matters if the show's zombies are incongruous with some other fictional monsters you've seen...

It's sad to say, because I really wanted to like this show, but there are plenty of procedurals that are better than The Walking Dead.

Not really.
It's not good, but it's not the same episode week after week. Homeboy's point is accurate, there are plenty of worse shows. I'm not saying we should pretend it's good or anything, but just because csi, law and order, ncsi, cold case files and maybe bones don't incite as much nerd rage doesn't really mean they are more creative, ambitious, entertaining or whatever. It just means people who watch zombie shit dpn't get angry when they see them.

I mean, my wife watches police procedurals. I don't know when you last scoped one, but it's like literally mad libs...

derFeef

When you guys talk about bad writing, do you mean the dialogue or just errors in the episodes? That's one thing I never understand as a non-native english speaker.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
When you guys talk about bad writing, do you mean the dialogue or just errors in the episodes? That's one thing I never understand as a non-native english speaker.
All of that I assume...
For me, it's clunky dialogue (which seems a little better these days) that sounds like a writer writing or leans on cliches rather than giving the character a voice, combined with plotting that transparently exists to create drama and tension but never actually pays off for the audience.
To be honest, that is just as likely to be bad direction...

derFeef

Yeah, she's really really hot. Wearing those farm clothes and that shorter hair cut disguises how damn sexy she is.

What, she looks really better without all those makeup and fancy clothes :)

All of that I assume...
For me, it's clunky dialogue (which seems a little better these days) that sounds like a writer writing or leans on cliches rather than giving the character a voice, combined with plotting that transparently exists to create drama and tension but never actually pays off for the audience.
To be honest, that is just as likely to be bad direction...

I really enjoy it, so I always feel like I miss something bad you guys see. Hm, I guess not.

bengraven

Okay, maybe I'm misunderstood.

She's really hot and I love how natural she looks. What I just mean is that she looks more plain...

Ugh, you know, you're both right and I agree that I prefer her as a cowgirl, but I do find the seductress roles hot as well.

andycapps

She's really hot and I love how natural she looks. What I just mean is that she looks more plain...

Ugh, you know, you're both right and I agree that I prefer her as a cowgirl, but I do find the seductress roles hot as well.

She'd be hot no matter what you did to her is what you're saying. I appreciate both looks. She gets me in the same way Emma Stone does.

big ander

Both, really, but in The Walking Dead I'd say the main affliction is cliche-ridden, clumsy, and cringe-worthy dialogue that makes the plotting seem worse.

I said this before, and as someone that enjoys this show and thinks it's stupid to over-analyze. The writing is at its worst when they try to be "deep" with their discussions. Comes off as very simplistic/black and white.

But overall no complaints. The writing in the comic isn't that great either.

LakeEarth

I am happy that she can get roles where she isn't a "bombshell" like character.

andycapps

I said this before, and as someone that enjoys this show and thinks it's stupid to over-analyze. The writing is at its worst when they try to be "deep" with their discussions. Comes off as very simplistic/black and white.

But overall no complaints. The writing in the comic isn't that great either.

This a thousand times. The writing isn't great, it's the themes and conundrums (for lack of a better word) that the groups/Rick get put in. The choices that have to be made, or the crazy things that happen to them. It's certainly not the interpersonal relationships or dialogue. Most of it is cringeworthy, at best. But, it works because it's in a comic.

bengraven

So I'm reading the comic and I just got to...about episode 5 of Season 1 would be the show equivalent.

Something that bothers me:

they leave Atlanta because of the walkers, but also because it's getting cold. Um...Atlanta isn't far from the Florida border. Allen even says he's from Gainesville. And from personal experience I can tell you that during the winter Gainesville is rarely colder than "wear a hoodie" cold. Like it's only a 2-3 hour trip to somewhere warmer. Maybe half a day because of the apocalypse.

Please tell me they're going South.

I like the books look - when in town everything looks appropriately destroyed and aged. There were a few too many mowed lawns in the first season of Walking Dead and the houses still looked barely looted. I think the show added a lot of things to make it more interesting (the tank part, the confrontation with Merle and the rest of the group and not just Glenn, the gang confrontation) but really it was kind of superflious. It actually feels like the comic is an adaptation of the show just with the unneccessary parts removed.

And a new character arrived who actually seems pretty cool. I'm assuming Shane took his lines in Season 2.

andycapps

So I'm reading the comic and I just got to...about episode 5 of Season 1 would be the show equivalent.

Something that bothers me:

they leave Atlanta because of the walkers, but also because it's getting cold. Um...Atlanta isn't far from the Florida border. Allen even says he's from Gainesville. And from personal experience I can tell you that during the winter Gainesville is rarely colder than "wear a hoodie" cold. Like it's only a 2-3 hour trip to somewhere warmer. Maybe half a day because of the apocalypse.

Please tell me they're going South.

I like the books look - when in town everything looks appropriately destroyed and aged. There were a few too many mowed lawns in the first season of Walking Dead and the houses still looked barely looted. I think the show added a lot of things to make it more interesting (the tank part, the confrontation with Merle and the rest of the group and not just Glenn, the gang confrontation) but really it was kind of superflious. It actually feels like the comic is an adaptation of the show just with the unneccessary parts removed.

And a new character arrived who actually seems pretty cool. I'm assuming Shane took his lines in Season 2.

Well, Atlanta is relatively far from Florida. It gets in the 30's there during the winter and the 20's some. Gainesville would be northeast of that, so a little cooler. In the show though, I think they're located on the northeast side of Atlanta and then make their way south by the end of the season. They haven't said where they're supposed to be at in season 2, but I'm guessing somewhere around Macon area. Gainesville area is possible though, but I think there'd be more hills.

Lonestar said:
/Football GAF High Five

What can I say? Great minds think alike.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!

Your friend has obviously never watched Jericho.

nick nacc

Banned
Pahahahahahah!

That was brilliant.

This is amazing. Especially when daryl comes in.

My big gripe with the show is that I haven't had an "oh shit shit!" moment in a long time. This show just has me rolling my eyes in some of the situation these people get in. It's hard to enjoy the show when all I am thinking is how much I could do better than them

squidyj

So, since when was there a black guy in the group? All of a sudden there's this black guy and we're supposed to act like he's always been there? WTF? worst writing ever.

bjork

Most of it is typical internet grandstanding. Don't pay it much mind, you'll enjoy the show more.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
I just catched up.

WHAT THE FUCK

WHAT IN THE NAME OF FUCK

Jesus fucking Christ, taking Dale like that? The writers have balls and offing one of the most loved characters show that they are not afraid to remind viewers that nobody's life is sacred, I'll give them that, but god fucking damn it.

And meanwhile T-Dawg is going to laugh his way to the end of the show. I can't believe this shit.

bengraven

Well, Atlanta is relatively far from Florida. It gets in the 30's there during the winter and the 20's some. Gainesville would be northeast of that, so a little cooler. In the show though, I think they're located on the northeast side of Atlanta and then make their way south by the end of the season. They haven't said where they're supposed to be at in season 2, but I'm guessing somewhere around Macon area. Gainesville area is possible though, but I think there'd be more hills.

oooooh, Gainesville GA.

And it's still not that far. I did Atlanta to Gainesville, FL in like 4 or 5 hours a few years ago.

(this is not a spoiler)

derFeef

I just catched up.

WHAT THE FUCK

WHAT IN THE NAME OF FUCK

Jesus fucking Christ, taking Dale like that? The writers have balls and offing one of the most loved characters show that they are not afraid to remind viewers that nobody's life is sacred, I'll give them that, but god fucking damn it.

And meanwhile T-Dawg is going to laugh his way to the end of the show. I can't believe this shit.

I was shocked too, I just could not believe it. Those assholes (the group)....

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion
oooooh, Gainesville GA.

And it's still not that far. I did Atlanta to Gainesville, FL in like 4 or 5 hours a few years ago.

(this is not a spoiler)

I also think he's talking about Gainesville Georgia. Which is like an hour or so, northeast of Atlanta.

Arment

I just catched up.

WHAT THE FUCK

WHAT IN THE NAME OF FUCK

I freaking hated tv show Dale. So many things he did rubbed me the wrong way. He went out like a chump too.

Garryk

Once the guy that played Dale found out (comic spoiler)
he's not going to get to tap dat Andrea ass
he didn't want to live anymore.

andycapps

oooooh, Gainesville GA.

(this is not a spoiler)

Yeah, not too far at all. When they show them hopping in their cars or motorcycles and riding seemingly just down the road, it's because it's really not that far. That is assuming that it's sticking with them going to the Gainesville area. Isn't there someone here that works on the show? I'm sure he could give insight.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom