• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 next patch first details - 1.05 (PC), 1.04 (console)

Yasae

Banned
Drowners are the hardest ground enemy in the game because they are relentless (they gang up, and they double lunge), but they can only jump forward. I recommend dodging to the left and right instead of backwards. BUt all enemies on death march are really hard in packs.
Well it's a combination of a lot of things: no animation cancelling, some animations quick while others lengthy and dangerous, occasionally poor hit detection, relentless enemy attacks in groups (they really weren't kidding with the Gothic influence), archers that can shoot through bushes and even tree trunks, automatic AI deflection of sword strikes (always with the second power attack!), input padding of parry and general unresponsiveness, inability to cast due to enemy attacks with no way to get out of the situation (hell in tight areas), etc etc etc.

It's death by a thousand cuts for the combat, which could've been great. I like it, but there's no denying the inherent cheesiness of some enemies. Whether you can overcome that makes no difference: cheese is cheese.

Boke1879

What is the XP bug exactly? I'm playing on the 3rd hardest difficulty(PS4) and while I'm getting XP I don't feel like I'm getting enough for quests and enemy kills. Is that normal?

What is the XP bug exactly? I'm playing on the 3rd hardest difficulty(PS4) and while I'm getting XP I don't feel like I'm getting enough for quests and enemy kills. Is that normal?

You mean normal?

You don't get much XP in this game. I have played for over 15 hours and am only level 7.

The most XP you get is through completed quests

erawsd

The XP bug is where you get no exp for certain main quests. A lot of the side content exp rewards are bare. Some Witcher contracts and liberating towns are the only ones Ive seen give more than 75exp. Monster nests also sometimes spawn an extra enemy that give you an additional 75exp. Most other side quests seem to give 10-25exp. Killing enemies is ~2-4exp.

It all adds up though since there is a ton of side content. I have the exp bug and Im still 3 levels higher than the main quest. Frankly, Im hoping tomorrow patch wont retroactively give any exp because I dont want to suddenly be even further ahead.

Boke1879

You mean normal?

You don't get much XP in this game. I have played for over 15 hours and am only level 7.

The most XP you get is through completed quests

LOL i meant the difficulty level before the highest difficulty. I'm only level 4 and just beat the werewolf quest. It was tough and I felt underleveled but I think it had to do with me getting used to the game. I found a strategy and beat him.

Yea enemies have been giving me 2-4 exp. That that was low but it seems normal.

LOL i meant the difficulty level before the highest difficulty. I'm only level 4 and just beat the werewolf quest. It was tough and I felt underleveled but I think it had to do with me getting used to the game. I found a strategy and beat him.

Yea enemies have been giving me 2-4 exp. That that was low but it seems normal.

Just look at your Quests and go for the secondary and Witcher contracts around your level. Hard is pretty hard in this game.

I have done a secondary quest every night,they are actually decent little stories and some take quite some time.

Apparently the game switches to a diferent lighting system when in conversations. Found that on CDPR forums, and i've checked it myself. Which means that the game still has the very nice lighting we all saw on the 2013 trailers!

image.jpg

The first screen does indeed look better to me. Whatever it is, I hope someone manages to enable that lighting for regular gameplay.

Vroadstar

What I'm worried is that when we get 1.03, the rest of the world will be on 1.04 or even 1.05. It's riddiculous that this patch has released all over the world like in Africa and YUGOSLAVIA lol, meanwhile one the biggest markets in the world still dont have it.

I should have bought the US version, very disappointed.

On top of that we still havnt got that free DLC either .... wtf is going on CD Projekt red

I agree, 1.01 patch came day and date as the other countries so I'm kinda surprised every time I hit check update it's saying I have the latest version (1.01)

No problem with the free DLC though, try downloading them thru Singapore PS Store which worked for me. I believe you can also download them thru the US PS Store because they are not region locked?

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
For my own sanity, I wanted to make a video of me playing in a situation that shows a lot of things that people are saying cause enormous framedrops. I start at the edge of the bog in a rainstorm, go into a thick wood with lots of moving foliage, fight a Wyvern, then walk through an area with a large group of NPCs around torches. There are definitely dropsbut it's nothing like what some people are describing. If anyone could comment on how this compares to their experience I would be grateful. This is on PS4, patch 1.03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9h5xqhhamA

erawsd

What I'm worried is that when we get 1.03, the rest of the world will be on 1.04 or even 1.05. It's riddiculous that this patch has released all over the world like in Africa and YUGOSLAVIA lol, meanwhile one the biggest markets in the world still dont have it.

On top of that we still havnt got that free DLC either .... wtf is going on CD Projekt red

I don't think its in CDPR's hands. I saw a reddit post complaining about the same thing and from the sound of it, the Asian PSN is notoriously bad at releasing patches and DLC in a timely manner.

And STILL no update for region 3 copies (Asia). This is getting fucking ridiculous. I'm thinking of just selling my region 3 copy and buying digital from the NA PSN store.

PreFire

Great, so many (blind) people complaining about the font size and they're going to make it even fucking bigger than last update's.. The new UI pop up takes up the whole screen already.

The font was perfect for me at launch. Sucks it isn't optional

Liking the constant updating though. Smooth gameplay and no interacting with candles near loot is great

le.phat

It's obvious the game wasn't properly user/QA tested. I wish developers would stop depending on best practices and started looking at adding an element of UX design to their team.

How can I tell if I'm not getting the proper XP? I leveled up twice today but I get around 50 xp for most quests/partial quest completions. Is that too low?

I agree about launch size font, I love minimalist design and my tv is large enough that it looked great to me. I hate the thought of it being bigger.

Why not just let us customize the UI size? I had the same problem playing witcher 2 on my TV where all the text was wayyyyy too small and I had to get a mod for it. Witcher 3 isn't as bad but it's still way too small.

Don't they realize lots of people on PC are playing on TVs? Seems crazy not to give us the option of making the text size the same as consoles.

I'm playing on a 40inch TV and haven't had a problem with it.

Vroadstar

I don't think its in CDPR's hands. I saw a reddit post complaining about the same thing and from the sound of it, the Asian PSN is notoriously bad at releasing patches and DLC in a timely manner.

I don't think it's Asian PSN, this is the only game so far where the patch took longer than usual compared to other countries.

Also, as I mentioned, I got the Witcher DLC in a timely manner.

I agree, 1.01 patch came day and date as the other countries so I'm kinda surprised every time I hit check update it's saying I have the latest version (1.01)

No problem with the free DLC though, try downloading them thru Singapore PS Store which worked for me. I believe you can also download them thru the US PS Store because they are not region locked?

I tried to download it through the US store on my account, but it still stays ''Waiting to Install'' .... I think the region free DLC was 1.02 .... So we're still shit out of luck.

Singapore Store eh? I think I made mine under the Hong Kong Store... So this means I'll have to create a whole new email account and PSN account for that singapore store? lol oh god. Convinience not even once.

Sayad

Performance and fixing gameplay bugs should be the first priorities. This playtime bug doesn't matter at all in the long run. It's so far away on the priority list that you can't even see it at that point, and I'm good with it.
There's no need to delay fixing a small script bug until they fix performance issues which could take a long time, they're probably aren't even handheld by the same group of people.

Radec

Nice.. Im probably at 50% completion and will wait for this patch first before progressing any further.

Will play WWolfenstein first!

roytheone

How can I tell if I'm not getting the proper XP? I leveled up twice today but I get around 50 xp for most quests/partial quest completions. Is that too low?

I agree about launch size font, I love minimalist design and my tv is large enough that it looked great to me. I hate the thought of it being bigger.

The bug gives you no xp at all, so as long as you got at least some XP you have gotten the correct amount of XP.

Still no fix for the egregious load times and crashing? And that ugly ass HUD is gonna get even bigger and more obnoxious? Can I just increase the microscopic text size and render the rest of the UI microscopic in its place? The options for minimizing/removing hud aspects are disappointing at least as far the console version goes.

pmx7

Neo Member

They're releasing patches in countries that don't even exist anymore haha

PreFire

Did they confirm it wasn't optional?

Good point, but it's also not mentioned either way. So many people complained about it, they must've thought this was an issue everyone was having.

It might be optional/adjustable on PC, but I doubt they'd give us that type of customization option on consoles. Such a shame

It's no where near game breaking, of course.. Just annoying they fixed something that wasn't broken for me and other players with good eyesight.

Seanspeed

Banned
Good point, but it's also not mentioned either way. So many people complained about it, they must've thought this was an issue everyone was having.

It might be optional/adjustable on PC, but I doubt they'd give us that type of customization option on consoles. Such a shame

It's no where near game breaking, of course.. Just annoying they fixed something that wasn't broken for me and other players with good eyesight.
I don't think it has much to do with your level of eyesight(though that will help), but more the relationship between distance to the screen and size.

The text is(was) undeniably small. Even for me on a 27" monitor sitting quite close. I have no trouble reading it, but I can absolutely understand how people in many living room situations would be struggling mightily.

This change is necessary but yea, being optional would be ideal cuz I was ok with it.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
UI size should really be a configuration option. I liked the size in the initial release.

This. And individual elements should be able to have different size values too. Like, I'm OK with a larger minimap, but the health bar? I'd like to make it smaller

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
I got an issue last week after a cutscene which caused this. I managed to get it twice on the same day. It would stay like it until I quit to the main menu and reloaded a save.

All I did was instantly skip conversations and back out. This only seemd to work for shop keepers. Also it was 1.01. Haven't tried 1.03.

erawsd

GHG

Gold Member
Fixed issue where Geralt was sometimes unable to mount Roach

Fuck yes! Hopefully it works and I can roam white orchid once again.

But i want the console text size option on the pc as well please.

NekoFever

I didn't have any problems with Pyres of Novigrad in the place I usually see mentioned, but later in the quest I couldn't open the door to
leave the granary after the fight with the witch hunters
. Weird.

Haunted

Geralt will not longer interact with candles near chests and other interactive elements.
How that design decision made it through all the meetings and QA in the first place, no one will ever know.

omonimo

Banned
For my own sanity, I wanted to make a video of me playing in a situation that shows a lot of things that people are saying cause enormous framedrops. I start at the edge of the bog in a rainstorm, go into a thick wood with lots of moving foliage, fight a Wyvern, then walk through an area with a large group of NPCs around torches. There are definitely dropsbut it's nothing like what some people are describing. If anyone could comment on how this compares to their experience I would be grateful. This is on PS4, patch 1.03

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9h5xqhhamA
From what I see they are not the more taxing scenes. Novigrad under the rain in the night, could be interesting.The bog in Velen seen in the gamersyde analysis it's another. The area in your video runs fine in my ps4 too.
In any case CD should try in consideration dynamic res on ps4 for the more taxing scenes. Sub 1080p could help a lot for smoother fps and people hardly will notice less difference compared a 20 fps locked, much more evident.

Brockxz

Significantly Enlarged GUI and HUD elements (including fonts) on consoles and slightly on PC.

Dear god, why? GUI and HUD elements were already too large for my 1080p on PC. I hope that is option under graphics menu because i don't like it.

Top Bottom