• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witcher 3 next patch first details - 1.05 (PC), 1.04 (console)

*trying to descend 1 foot to loot a chest*

Hippo.gif

OH GOD HAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHHAHAHA

Looking forward to the UI changes. Will finally be able to read the character, beastiary, and quest info without squinting and getting bloodshot eyes.

Still dunno why they never included a button to enlarge/fullscreen or popout the text in those menu areas.

epmode

Comparatively, I actually would argue it's way below par. The crashing alone is as bad as any other buggy release I've seen in the last 20 years. Obviously YMMV when it comes to stability issues, especially on different platforms, but the crashes are well documented on pretty much every page of the PC performance thread.

MMDV! I haven't had a single crash, and I've been playing on PC since launch.

You'll find people complaining about crashes and performance issues in every PC thread around launch, especially for popular games, so I'm not sure it's the best evidence that TW3 is in bad shape. I'm sorry that you've had so much trouble though, it sucks being the one affected by inexplicable glitches.

frezaina

Neo Member
Apparently the game switches to a diferent lighting system when in conversations. Found that on CDPR forums, and i've checked it myself. Which means that the game still has the very nice lighting we all saw on the 2013 trailers!

image.jpg

TheRed

I kinda don't understand the swimming complaints, whenever I go in the water I just hold the dive button till I'm clearly under water then from then on I just point the camera wherever I want to go and hold A to go faster. Haven't really had too many problems myself.

epmode

Apparently the game switches to a diferent lighting system when in conversations. Found that on CDPR forums, and i've checked it myself. Which means that the game still has the very nice lighting we all saw on the 2013 trailers!

Weird. Is there a way to force cutscene lighting at all times?

nib95

Banned

image.jpg

That's really interesting. I have actually seen it glitch out and suddenly change lighting systems mid way before in rare instances. For example, it does this in a particular cut scene on the PS4 version. I wonder if it's a switch between these two lighting systems?

i'm sure we will find out soon! here's more:

image.jpg

image.jpg

My discerning eye is having trouble seeing how the apparent difference here is "global illumination."

The two different images just look darker. I am not seeing evidence of a different level of bounced light. Perhaps, just that shadowed areas are darker.

Do you have better images which would show off this apparent GI?
I always thought the lighting was different in cutscenes. So what's the explanation for this?

It is definitely different. I am not sure if the difference is "GI" though.

why they don't enable that nice lighting all time, at leat on PC? i would love to know...

I prefer the GI lighting off.. they turn off the environment lighting which is bad. I bet that GI lighting only does local bounces. You can see in the 2nd picture where the lighting on the ground looks correct.. but the GI lighting doesn't capture the sky. Also the only difference I can see in the GI lighting is adding a bloom filter on the scene to capture HDR.

tuxfool

Banned
My discerning eye is having trouble seeing how the apparent difference here is "global illumination."

The two different images just look darker. I am not seeing evidence of a different level of bounced light. Perhaps, just that shadowed areas are darker.

All I see is one has much greater bloom levels.

It has been known that in cutscenes they insert more lights to make scenes more dramatic but not on a wide scale as suggested by these images.

image.jpg

Regarding that "subtle transition," Whenever I first boot up the game, I notice the lighting change drastically with no transition... like it'll flicker 2 or 3 times. I thought it was just a bug with the weather or something since similar things happen in Skyrim, but maybe I'm seeing the game flicker between global illumination on/off? I don't recall if I've seen it happen beyond that initial game boot up, but I'll keep an eye out for it now.

frezaina

Neo Member
Regarding that "subtle transition," Whenever I first boot up the game, I notice the lighting change drastically with no transition... like it'll flicker 2 or 3 times. I thought it was just a bug with the weather or something since similar things happen in Skyrim, but maybe I'm seeing the game flicker between global illumination on/off? I don't recall if I've seen it happen beyond that initial game boot up, but I'll keep an eye out for it now.

You can test this transition by entering a conversation and then recording a video with fraps. Then play the video frame by frame (ctrl + arrow right in media player classic) because the change happens really quickly.

I think you are seeing the dynamic environment lighting. It's happening every sec or so.. you can stand there and watch a shadow update in real time. That means all the lighting on every shader has to evaluate that procedural sky (and every other light source) every second getting a different albedo and changing it's color.

I'd much prefer the current lighting implementation if they have to turn off evaluating the procedural sun/sky environment to get it working.

You can test this transition by entering a conversation and then recording a video with fraps. Then play the video frame by frame (ctrl + arrow right in media player classic) because the change happens really quickly.

That transition could be due to HDR eye adaption changing rapidly.

Xiraiya

image.jpg
To be fair that mostly just looks like a filter, a very very nice one though. it's not like Watch Dogs tier entire generational differences in a graphical setting or anything.

So it being patched in as a permanent option or modded in doesn't seem like it would be particularly hard, I'm surprised it's not just an .ini 0-1 setting or something.

I think you are seeing the dynamic environment lighting. It's happening every sec or so.. you can stand there and watch a shadow update in real time. That means all the lighting on every shader has to evaluate that procedural sky (and every other light source) every second getting a different albedo and changing it's color.

I'd much prefer the current lighting implementation if they have to turn off evaluating the procedural sun/sky environment to get it working.

Yeah I don't know. Tried to get a good screenshot of what I'm talking about...

Starts like this:

Take a few steps forward, all the shadows suddenly get darker. No transition:

It seems to not happen unless I walk around a little bit.

There's something clearly weird going on. Look at the grass for example
Cutscene:
17705507854_e517df830d_k_d.jpg

Gameplay:
17707470783_34a25b2b69_k_d.jpg

Cutscene:
18141909049_7d28e2a4ab_k_d.jpg

Gameplay:
18301671146_10ac8e1976_k_d.jpg

Cutscene:
18329554061_626cbca6dd_k_d.jpg

Gameplay:
18324164402_7fbe5c9f28_k_d.jpg

Cutscene:
17705522334_5dceb8af30_k_d.jpg

Gameplay:
18328127835_06d7794c34_k_d.jpg

tuxfool

Banned
There's something clearly weird going on. Look at the grass for example
Cutscene:
17705507854_e517df830d_k_d.jpg

Gameplay:
17707470783_34a25b2b69_k_d.jpg

Cutscene:
18141909049_7d28e2a4ab_k_d.jpg

Gameplay:
18301671146_10ac8e1976_k_d.jpg

Cutscene:
18329554061_626cbca6dd_k_d.jpg

Gameplay:
18324164402_7fbe5c9f28_k_d.jpg

Cutscene:
17705522334_5dceb8af30_k_d.jpg

Gameplay:
18328127835_06d7794c34_k_d.jpg

There is a difference, but beyond a higher dynamic range in the cutscene lighting, the gameplay lighting isn't "worse".

jett

D-Member
It's very simple, the lighting is slightly tweaked during cut-scenes/conversations so that it favors the characters' faces more under the camera angles they're being shown. It's nothing out of the ordinary. It's obvious when you look at how Geralt's face is lit in an indoor environment right after a conversation.

And it's certainly not global illumination.

Yup, I don't understand why I'm still stuck with 1.01 with my Asian version. When will they get the latest patch up here in Asia.

What I'm worried is that when we get 1.03, the rest of the world will be on 1.04 or even 1.05. It's riddiculous that this patch has released all over the world like in Africa and YUGOSLAVIA lol, meanwhile one the biggest markets in the world still dont have it.

I should have bought the US version, very disappointed.

On top of that we still havnt got that free DLC either .... wtf is going on CD Projekt red

Markew001

I kinda don't understand the swimming complaints, whenever I go in the water I just hold the dive button till I'm clearly under water then from then on I just point the camera wherever I want to go and hold A to go faster. Haven't really had too many problems myself.

This. It's incredibly straightforward and it works well. Not sure where the problem lies.

This. It's incredibly straightforward and it works well. Not sure where the problem lies.

I didn't get the complaints either until I started swimming in more confined areas. It gets really confusing when there's a barrier above or below Geralt; he will often refuse commands when this is the case, leading to bizarre situations where he literally flips out in the water. With the timer looming overhead, this sort of responsesiveness is not ideal.

CHC

Can't wait for this camera fix thing. It has felt too wrong for too long, glad it won't be a problem future buyers have to deal with.

viveks86

It is definitely different. I am not sure if the difference is "GI" though.

All I see is one has much greater bloom levels.

It has been known that in cutscenes they insert more lights to make scenes more dramatic but not on a wide scale as suggested by these images.

Yup. The game has no GI. They are just hand placed light sources in cut scenes that don't exist in gameplay. Use the free cam mode during a cutscene and you'll see it in action. People's faces will get lit up by lights that don't exist in the environment. It's just fake lighting like most game cutscenes because characters are in predetermined positions. Looks pretty funky if you move the camera around."GI on" and "GI off"? Lol

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
I always thought the lighting was different in cutscenes. So what's the explanation for this?

It was really weird in the swamp areas.
You could tell they were still using the old brownish look in cutscenes. As soon as the cutscenes ended, a green hue faded in.

Top Bottom