• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Witness price revealed ($39.99 / €36.99)

I'm a little surprised that people thought this was going to be "indie priced" given the long development, huge amount of content, and general high profile of the developer & game.

Reg

Banned
Holy shit!!!

Last gen, XBLA/PSN games were normally $10 or $15. This gen, they went up to $15 or $20 and now $40??? Are you fucking kidding me???

No thanks.

Why are you assuming this game isn't a bigger/meatier experience to justify the price?

entremet

The only comparable game is Talos Principle, another expansive indie first-person puzzler, priced at $40

Why were people expecting this to be any different?

Price expectations are a bitch.

With XBLA and later PSN, we were trained for 10 to 15 dollar games.

Now, we're getting the same types of games in terms of indie development but more ambitious, but we expect last gen prices.

Nope no thanks. Little too steep and not really my kind of game to begin with.

So you were never buying it in the first place?

Ludens

Banned
Umh, dunno if my memory is bad again, but wasn't this suppose to launch for free on Plus?
Also guys yeah, Talos launched on PS4 for 40€, but it's the base game+ all DLCs.

Anyway I was really waiting for this, I loved Braid, I was thinking to get it on D1 if the discount was good enough...but I expected 20€ maximum.

dugdug

Banned
That's a lot for a bunch of line puzzles

You joke (I think?) but, that's literally all I've seen of this game, besides pretty colors. I know the game will be more than that, but, $40 is a bit too much for something we've barely seen, IMO.

Skelter

Banned
Holy shit!!!

Last gen, XBLA/PSN games were normally $10 or $15. This gen, they went up to $15 or $20 and now $40??? Are you fucking kidding me???

No thanks.

Are you fucking kidding? The Witness looks like a high quality title that's been in production for a long time now. Wait for reviewed if you have to but this kind of thinking is very stupid.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
Some comments are weird... Game development is expensive and this game looks polished as fuck. Price seems justified.

Hope it gets positive reviews.

rje

I don't get the need for pre-ordering digital games (moreover without any goodies). It's not like the game could be sold-out.

It's nice for folks with slower internet if they can preload in advance, but that's really the only reason I can think of

injurai

Banned
Seeing as Blow basically took development back to the times where developers rolled their own engine and technologies, instead of just using off the shelf technologies.

I think the price is pretty fair.

Bsigg12

I was expecting $30, similar to The Talos Principle.

Talos Principle was $49.99 when it came out. Currently $36.94 on Amazon.

Price is fine, though I suspect the lack of a physical version will deter some people at that price.

Are you fucking kidding? The Witness looks like a high quality title that's been in production for a long time now. Wait for reviewed if you have to but this kind of thinking is very stupid.

This kind of thinking (by the poster you were responding to) is the reason people flip out every time indie games are announced as PS+ freebies. There is a large segment of the gaming populace that does not value indie titles.

gdt

That's right what I was expecting. This game is huge apparently. It's also been in dev for like 4/5 years.

Can't wait.

slash000

Zeboyd Games
This is about right given the quality, content, production value involved.

Why do people expect this to cost as much as a much smaller (content and production value-wise) game like Braid or something?

The Witness is a pretty huge, high quality open world. Sure, you're not shooting people and watching setpiece cutscenes. But the game is large and extremely well made.

It doesn't command a $60 price but some were expecting a $15 or $20? really?

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
I see Blow setting a new standard for indie prices, just like he did in 2008. :p

JP

I was actually expecting it to be a full price game now that there's over forty plus hours of gameplay. I'm pretty sure that it was meant to be cheaper when it was first announced but as they're said, it's several times the size it was originally.

EDIT:
Really surprised by some comments.Obviously we don't know the quality of the game yet but if it's forty plus hours of close to Braid quality gaming, then it;s an absolute bargain for me.

I think people really need to get out of the mindset that a game's like this should "cheap." I fear the No Man's Sky price reveal will be a trainwreck

- J - D -

I don't know much about this game, can someone explain to me why $40 seems to steep for it? Some here are saying it's like 50+ hours of content.

Gurthang

Banned
Not going to complain about the price
The Talos Principle was the same price and I enjoyed it greatly
Hopefully this is just as good

Venom Fox

Banned
Talos had a much bigger budget and more people working on it.
What does that matter? The talos Principle was shit compared to a similar game like Portal.

The Witness looks to wipe the floor with TTP. Especially in sheer numbers of puzzles.

Edit: For clarity, I really didn't enjoy TTP, just couldn't get into it properly. I may revisit one day though.

cyba89

That's the price I expected. Day 1 for me.

Holy shit!!!

No thanks.

So if the game would come in a plastic box you would be willing to pay $70?

What does that matter? The talos Principle was shit compared to a similar game like Portal.

What? Thalos Principle is at least on par with Portal. I personally like Thalos more when you go strictly by puzzle design.

Ashler

To the people saying its twice what you expected, have you been followIng the development? Its over 100hours to complete (100%), in line with a full fledged game. Myst games had less puzzles!

I would pay AAA full retail price for this game without blinking.

Top Bottom