• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

Sure, but I only did those things for my Star Rating, which is fairly prominent and is actually tracked by the game. If the game specifically tracked AC's that would be a different story.

I figure at this point the only goals I could think of would be:

1 - All Critical everything
2 - Max playtime
3 - Hit Reset 10 with all characters
4 - Teach every character every learnable skill
5 - Max all stats for all characters
6 - Get SSS rank on all songs

I'm only going for 3 and 6 which are pretty reasonable; I'd have to count but at this point I've already done max resets on probably half or so of the cast, and using items + skills + xp quest (if needed) I'd bet I could max everyone's level in pretty short order if I focused just on that. Will probably go for the SSS on everything first, then mop up levels after that.

Max playtime is kinda whatever, and honestly getting AC on everything on Ultimate is quite frankly beyond my skill level. Obviously not literally impossible in theory (since I got TC on everything), but realistically it's not happening, it would probably super stress me out and would take me years or something. Teaching every skill to every character would be a mad grind mostly for some of the random skill scrolls you don't find often; for example you can actually relatively easily grind specific quests for Ultima etc scrolls, but even with my current playtime I've only found 3 Berserk lvl 3 scrolls...so yeah. Max stats on every character would take until the heat death of the universe even doing nothing but hands-free farming. Using most of my cards accumulated over close to 500 hours of play I've managed to max all stats on one character, max the most relevant stat on maybe 4-5 of my favorite other chartacters (like Strength on TG Cid, Magic on Shanotto etc) and that's it. It would probably take thousands upon thousands of hours to do that.

One of the things I like about the game though is that it has enough of a broad level of skill that people can set their own goals. Like you getting AC on everything is completely insane and totally beyond me, but me getting TC on everything is totally beyond some people as well. I've seen people both here on and Gamefaqs and elsewhere who aren't as skilled or have the time who just have goals of even just getting to Ultimate, or get SSS on everything on Basic etc. I appreciate the fact that there's enough diversity that people can set their own specific goals and achieve them. Like for me I never care about my achievement score, trophy score or whatever; but if I really like a game I try to "100%" it which in most modern games is getting all of the achievements/trophies which is why I did the inane grinding on some of the stuff because the game specifically tracks that for the 5-star shiny rating and trophy count. That's part of why going for AC on everything doesn't really appeal to me is because the game doesn't track that in any meaningful way and it's a bit beyond my skill ceiling.

I'm going to post a few things to keep this topic going!

I completely agree and love that everyone can set their own targets when playing this game. Some simply want to only play the songs they like, some try to finish them all without dying, some try to beat their high scores, some go for perfect chains, some go for critical charts, some go for perfection, but all have fun! It really is amazing.

I still can't get my head around how someone at your skill level doesn't go for 9999999 on all expert and basic songs though! I know it's a chore but had you simply restarted whenever you didn't perfect them, you would have done most on your first, second or third try. I mean, you'd have to try at least twice anyway if you don't perfect it the first time (since you go for filling the charts) so why not just go for 9999999 from the very start? I would add though that EMS are an exception. Personally I treated basic and expert ems just like ultimate. They took just as many tries. And by treated like ultimate I meant accepted that I may actually not be able to perfect them (though now I have).

I've still got three songs left. I'm actually worried about these three... it's either fatigue or maybe being worried the game is coming to an end but these three songs have me stumped for now. My experience with Crazy Chocobo varies so much day by day that it's. .. crazy. One day I can constantly get half way whereas another day I can't even get a third way in. I've bought it down to 1 great and was only able to achieve that once.

I might post my stats later on. I just like you am also going for "everything" but I've mainly been concentrating on perfecting songs. I'll call this mine "is this really it having come so far" milestone. I really want to play other games but.. 3 songs left.. (Crazy Chocobo, Sacrifice Part Three, Shadowlord)

4jjJyjv.jpg

I wonder if I'll ever reach 999999 Rhythmia or 999:99 playtime. Which is more likely?

I'm so good that I've done 327/321 basic songs :p What's a cool number to leave this on? I was thinking 333 might look cool. 400 would look even cooler but am I that crazy? (Would need to perfect 73 more songs on basic on a different 3DS. . Hmm might do it if I'm going for rhythmia). Also, need that one rare card! Not platinum, rare!

All is good here. Got some Expert songs to do but it's only a matter of time since the EMS are done.

Need to work on this. Keys is almost done and I assume stages cleared is almost done too. Need to do 48 more short quests and 22 more inherited quests. Yawn.

Leaving this to the very end. I've got access to a second copy of the game so there's no rush. Will do the AI battles then too.

All good just parameter boosts left.

Will also leave this til the very end and make whatever isn't 30 on this page 30.

And this is the top characters used. I'm making everyone top rank as I play.

Those are my records as of today. Hopefully by the end of this year I'll past my "fully satisfied" records. . Though somehow I doubt it!!

MrDaravon

Getting All Critical on Basic/Expert just doesn't particularly interest me for whatever reason. I think if I was going for AC on Ultimate I would do it on the lower difficulties as well just for OCD purposes, but also because of that OCD it's generally an all or nothing approach for me. So getting AC on Basic/Expert would just make me want to do it on Ultimate, and that is very much not happening; I think I could do it on a good chunk of tracks, but I know there are some I am just not good enough to do it on, and it would be a ridiculous time commitment I don't want to make honestly. I might do it at some point down the line, outside of maybe a couple of specific tracks on Expert it wouldn't be very hard or anything, just very time consuming.

Right now I'm just doing the Daily Songs and then I'll sometimes keep going for longer just doing random select. My only other concrete goal that I have is to get everyone at big star Reset status (10 resets). You can actually keep going on Resets but I don't think there's any point to that really. I think I have something like 22 characters left to do it with, but almost all of those 22 characters are on their 2nd or 3rd reset already since I would rotate out characters as appropriate for the tracks I was playing for Rhythmia bonuses so that shouldn't be too bad. After that I'll maaaaaybe see about maxing out all of the stats for my "final" 4-person group or something.

Also you should definitely hit 9999999 Rhythmia long before max playtime, I was min/maxing Rm bonuses but I hit it at around 380 hours IIRC. I'm not sure exactly what you plan on doing once you get your last AC tracks done though since that's still a ton of playtime you'll need to max out Rm or playtime either way. And even once you max Rm out you still get the Rm stats screen post-song which is actually really annoying, I was looking forward to that going away lol.

Oh and that reminds me, I was gonna post this yesterday but GAF was down, I had this happen:

MlWA77wBiw8SgmBvxM

In nearly 500 hours of play I have NEVER seen all 4 characters make an expression. I see 3 pretty frequently but never ever 4 so I assumed hundreds of hours ago it wasn't possible. Really weird.

I'm not sure exactly what you plan on doing once you get your last AC tracks done though since that's still a ton of playtime you'll need to max out Rm or playtime either way. And even once you max Rm out you still get the Rm stats screen post-song which is actually really annoying, I was looking forward to that going away lol.

Well I'm going to go for the quests and then boosting my online, local and AI Battle records. Maybe that along with finishing off the expert songs would be enough for max rhythmia but we will see. I also might do more basic songs just to make that number 400 if it comes to that.

I'm not surprised the screen still displays at max rhythmia. An option to turn it off would have been nice but they probably assumed not many people would reach it this time around and hey they were probably right!

Through all my playing I've never once concentrated on the screen where their faces show so I can't help you there. Wow I've realised I've literally never paid attention to that screen before! I always just look at the song name.

I.. perfected Crazy Chocobo. I was so breathless when I done it that my ribs hurt. I can't believe I pulled that off. I tried from 9am to about 12.30 so over 3 hours straight. I feel like a god right now.

MrDaravon

I.. perfected Crazy Chocobo. I was so breathless when I done it that my ribs hurt. I can't believe I pulled that off. I tried from 9am to about 12.30 so over 3 hours straight. I feel like a god right now.

Congrats! That song is nuts, I was super happy I was able to just get a Total Critical on it.

Swamped

Banned

...i think anything i say right now will be an understatement. I don't think I'm exaggerating when i say i think yout might be one of the only people in the world to have perfected Crazy Chocobo!

MrDaravon

Yeah I don't think I ever came near spending that long in one sitting on a song, it was usually best for me to take a break and change songs after 2-3 attempts most of the time.

Also I've started going for AC's on everything on Basic and Expert, I hope you're happy now lol

Yeah I don't think I ever came near spending that long in one sitting on a song, it was usually best for me to take a break and change songs after 2-3 attempts most of the time.

Also I've started going for AC's on everything on Basic and Expert, I hope you're happy now lol

Hehe. Yes, yes I am :p

See it would have been better had you done it from the start. You were going for Crown and perfect chain anyway so might aswell have gone straight for the 999! Oh well better late than never ;)

MrDaravon

I'm mostly just working on it while I'm at work and it's slow. Don't know if I would have it in me to sit at home and play through hundreds of songs on Basic/Expert. Still concerned about the EMS tracks, other than that shouldn't be a big deal.

Yeah it's very slow. What I done was perfect one or two basic and expert every time I perfected an ultimate, on top of doing them if they are the daily songs

It's done! All 321 songs perfected on all three difficulties! I honestly thought I'd never EVER achieve this but I have and man does it feel amazing!!

Took 10 whole months and it was worth it. My proudest gaming achievement!

MrDaravon

Congratulations! Coming from someone who got all the trophies that is completely insane, and most people think I was crazy lol. Can't even imagine. What are you going to do now (other than go to disneyland)?

Congratulations! Coming from someone who got all the trophies that is completely insane, and most people think I was crazy lol. Can't even imagine. What are you going to do now (other than go to disneyland)?

Well... go for all the shiny stars of course!

I've only got one trophy left and that's to do more inherited quests so that's pretty much done too. Speaking of which.. have you been collecting the nostalgic maps?

Here's my Miiverse post if any of you would be kind enough to give it a like!

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAEVHhmtCpoAQ

MrDaravon

Well... go for all the shiny stars of course!

I've only got one trophy left and that's to do more inherited quests so that's pretty much done too. Speaking of which.. have you been collecting the nostalgic maps?

Here's my Miiverse post if any of you would be kind enough to give it a like!

https://miiverse.nintendo.net/posts/AYQHAAABAAAEVHhmtCpoAQ

No I've been meaning to get around to trying to collect all of the special maps but keep forgetting or I get sidetracked. I really need to get at least the level 75/99 Bracing Nostalgic (?) map (or whichever the XP BMS one is). The grind to max out every character Reset-wise is insane; I'm at over 500 hours and I've only got maybe just over half the cast done?

No I've been meaning to get around to trying to collect all of the special maps but keep forgetting or I get sidetracked. I really need to get at least the level 75/99 Bracing Nostalgic (?) map (or whichever the XP BMS one is). The grind to max out every character Reset-wise is insane; I'm at over 500 hours and I've only got maybe just over half the cast done?

These are the maps I have:

Aging 99
Ancient 25
Bracing 99 75 50 25
Fierce 99 75 25
Foreign 99 75
New 75
Pastoral 75
Recent 99 50

Would you like any?

MrDaravon

These are the maps I have:

Aging 99
Ancient 25
Bracing 99 75 50 25
Fierce 99 75 25
Foreign 99 75
New 75
Pastoral 75
Recent 99 50

Would you like any?

Yeah for sure, the next few days are real bad for me though; I'm sick (but still have to work), then we're fostering a new cat who is ALSO sick, and our existing cat isn't having any of this lol. Can I hit you up next week maybe?

I've only got maybe 2-3 of the unique quests, but I did keep any that had good items or Premium cards so if you need anything let me know.

Yeah for sure, the next few days are real bad for me though; I'm sick (but still have to work), then we're fostering a new cat who is ALSO sick, and our existing cat isn't having any of this lol. Can I hit you up next week maybe?

I've only got maybe 2-3 of the unique quests, but I did keep any that had good items or Premium cards so if you need anything let me know.

If you don't have any nostalgic maps I need that's fine. I'm happy to just give them to you (in return for hopefully a few online wins if I can manage that :p)

My friend code is 4511 1776 6976 just let me know whenever you want them

Hahaha what. Baffling. I've made similar posts and not had that happen.

Well according to that every single post on Theatrhythm Miiverse should be spoilers.

Someone probably reported it for whatever reason and maybe they just spoiler everything that's reported? There's no way to contest it either. Silly.

jonno394

Erm, stupid question, but what's the best way for a newcomer to play this game? Dabbled in a few of the "choose whichever songs you want" mode, then I did two quests, but I sort of expected there to be a world map like in something like Elite Beat Agents, which would direct you through the game and give you some progression, rather than just choosing songs?

Celegus

It's done! All 321 songs perfected on all three difficulties! I honestly thought I'd never EVER achieve this but I have and man does it feel amazing!!

Whooaaaaa congrats dude, I honestly didn't even think that was humanly possible.

suzu

Nice. Congrats!

Erm, stupid question, but what's the best way for a newcomer to play this game? Dabbled in a few of the "choose whichever songs you want" mode, then I did two quests, but I sort of expected there to be a world map like in something like Elite Beat Agents, which would direct you through the game and give you some progression, rather than just choosing songs?

There isn't a story mode if that's what you're looking for. Basically you should unlock all the game modes and then go for unlocking new characters, songs, etc. Progression-wise, um, your party levels up and you get to mess around with abilities and stuff if that interests you? Or just play it straight as a rhythm game. lol

Swamped

Banned
Shame on that person! It's not like they're a newbie either. This occasionally used to happen to me which sticks because I actually don't win that often online lol.

But does this mean that there are still people around online? I guess I should check myself...I have no excuse not to since I own the digital version for maximum convenience!

Shame on that person! It's not like they're a newbie either. This occasionally used to happen to me which sticks because I actually don't win that often online lol.

But does this mean that there are still people around online? I guess I should check myself...I have no excuse not to since I own the digital version for maximum convenience!

My brother and I are both searching seperately together to boost up the community a little. We did this with Perfect Dark XBLA back in the day and I also done it with Tetris DS and 42 all time classics (club house games) it upsets me when online games I love die out so sometimes I'd spend hours searching (while doing other things on the side)

Celegus

It was so good! Liberi Fatali and the FFVI Opera gave me the chills something fierce. Hitoshi Sakamoto was there as well, but they only played one song from XII which was kind of a bummer. And of course freaking One Winged Angel as the encore, I'll never understand people's obsession with it.

They also did Balamb Garden theme, which apparently the original composition was lost and they had to transcribe it just from listening to the game.

MrDaravon

It was so good! Liberi Fatali and the FFVI Opera gave me the chills something fierce. Hitoshi Sakamoto was there as well, but they only played one song from XII which was kind of a bummer. And of course freaking One Winged Angel as the encore, I'll never understand people's obsession with it.

They also did Balamb Garden theme, which apparently the original composition was lost and they had to transcribe it just from listening to the game.

Nice! Yeah, I love the FF12 soundtrack to death but it's not nearly as iconic for most folks, so not surprised it gets snubbed a bit. So you were there for the FF12 remaster leak/announcement? lol

Celegus

Nice! Yeah, I love the FF12 soundtrack to death but it's not nearly as iconic for most folks, so not surprised it gets snubbed a bit. So you were there for the FF12 remaster leak/announcement? lol

I thought it would get a little more loving since Sakimoto was there, but nope. As for the remake thing, I completely thought it was just a joke since he was just talking about the VII remake. But who knows, maybe he does know something more.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
After not buying any DLC for a while, yesterday I got He of the Name from Bravely Default. The pattern at the end is insane, so good!

MrDaravon

Still playing this every day, most days just the Daily tracks though. Still very slowly working on getting AC on everything on Basic and Expert, I think I'm going to ignore doing that on the EMS tracks though. Have been trying them off and on and not getting even close, it's ridiculous. Also still very slowly leveling everyone to max reset along the way as well.

On a related note I hit 1000 Daily songs played a few days ago, and the counter for that on Records DOES go past 999. Was almost secretly hoping it didn't so I didn't have to keep making sure I did them every day haha.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Now that smea has blessed us with region-free, I'm picking up Theatrhythm Dragon Quest when I travel to Japan later this year. Superbeat Xonic and P4DAN should quench my rhythm thirst already, but I have a soft spot for Theatrhythm. I can't pass that up.

bumpkin

I talked a friend of mine into picking this up who had never heard of it before, but now we're both bummed because we can't seem to play against each other online. We're both in each other's friends list, but it seems like no matter what we do, we can't see the other in the lobby. We were both able to search for and play against random "recruits" though.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? What's the trick to getting it to work?

suzu

I talked a friend of mine into picking this up who had never heard of it before, but now we're both bummed because we can't seem to play against each other online. We're both in each other's friends list, but it seems like no matter what we do, we can't see the other in the lobby. We were both able to search for and play against random "recruits" though.

Has anyone else encountered this issue? What's the trick to getting it to work?

One person will need to set up the match by clicking on "Recruit Opponents". While they are waiting, the other person can join by clicking on the opponent's name located on the VS Friends screen.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Finally got this and loving it but I have one (stupid?) question: the party is basically only important to try scoring 99999 killing as many monsters as possible OR to have good healers in case of some Ultimate songs where I could have troubles reaching the end cause of misses and whatnot? Am I right? Other than that you could play the whole game with a low level party and it wouldn't change a thing?

Btw, playing with buttons is a lot easier than touch. I like that I can play one-handed so I can still light up a cig while messing with a few quests :p

Ohnonono

Picked this up yesterday thanks to P4:DAN getting me into the genre. This shit is like soul food. Played for a few hours last night and it was so relaxing. Some of the ultimate stuff seems nuts but with practice maybe I will get there. Any notes on what are some of the best DLC? I got all the CT music because its great, but I have not heard the music from some of the other square games on there. Amazing game and so much friggin content.

suzu

Finally got this and loving it but I have one (stupid?) question: the party is basically only important to try scoring 99999 killing as many monsters as possible OR to have good healers in case of some Ultimate songs where I could have troubles reaching the end cause of misses and whatnot? Am I right? Other than that you could play the whole game with a low level party and it wouldn't change a thing?

Btw, playing with buttons is a lot easier than touch. I like that I can play one-handed so I can still light up a cig while messing with a few quests :p

Yep!

Picked this up yesterday thanks to P4:DAN getting me into the genre. This shit is like soul food. Played for a few hours last night and it was so relaxing. Some of the ultimate stuff seems nuts but with practice maybe I will get there. Any notes on what are some of the best DLC? I got all the CT music because its great, but I have not heard the music from some of the other square games on there. Amazing game and so much friggin content.

You can check this post for previews of the dlc songs.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important

Man this game is crack already and it's unbelievable how much content there is but a sequel (which would not get ported over lol) with a proper story mode where to put more of an emphasis on party builds and characters would be a dream!

I vastly prefer the button controls but with fast, harder songs on expert I started missing some criticals on FMS on the hold triggers+arrow simply because following the line with the circle pad screwed with my input on the arrow at the end (basically it registers early, earning me GOODs, and not always even the right one... pisses me off so much when going for All Critical and screwing the ones near the end!)... any tips? I guess I should learn to time when to release the finger and quickly put it down again to slice the arrow but it ain't easy lol

I wish I could buy at the very least the Chrono Trigger pack, damn

Lumination

'enry 'ollins
Been agonizing over whether or not to buy all the song DLC. $96 is a hard pill to swallow! Doesn't help that Nintendo Account thing in Japan is offering 10% off all purchases. Not sure if I should wait for an American equivalent.

c-murph

Been agonizing over whether or not to buy all the song DLC. $96 is a hard pill to swallow! Doesn't help that Nintendo Account thing in Japan is offering 10% off all purchases. Not sure if I should wait for an American equivalent.

New content!?....

No. Say the update and thought maybe.

Top Bottom