• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Theatrhythm Final Fantasy: Curtain Call |OT| Once more, with feeling!

MrDaravon

Try hybrid on the beginning part of FYW (use the circle pad for the arrows)

I actually already use button controls for BMS tracks. The very beginning is fine, I start to lose it at the section after that where it starts throwing short hold arrows at you, those are pain on pad. I'm too hardwired after hundreds of hours of this to use stylus for BMS, I've tried :(

Also the Weekly Challenge is dead Jim. I don't have my 3DS handy at the moment, but true to history this week Waluigilicious got 1st on all tracks, I got second and Jotamide got 3rd. If there's some sort of renewed interest in the game for some reason (aka new DLC gets announced) I'll see about starting it up again, or if Adam wants to take back over by all means.

Aw, the weekly challenge is dead already? I hoped to participate in one of them during a week where my workload was a little lighter! Oh well. At least I got this yesterday:

IMG_1043.jpg

The Ultimate Full Criticals continue!

MrDaravon

FUCK YES

oDvhiC5.jpg

It actually wasn't too bad once I got the muscle memory down. I had no problems with the speed of the song so that wasn't the problem, it was the four short arrow holds after all the single notes. Then once I got that down the really quick two diagonal arrows sets right after the second set of 4 arrow holds were my roadblock, but then the first time I cleared that the rest of the song was easy. I needed a confidence booster in this game haha. Still have some doubts if I'll be able to get the trophy for filling all Critical Charts, but I'm confident now I can get the one for getting all Perfect Chains, and the couple I have left besides that aren't hard, just grindy.

Having only 24/321 songs left to perfect, it's quite interesting I haven't got the perfect chain trophy yet. Especially considering the remaining songs are grouped as:

Non-DLC: 3 EMS: 7 DLC: 14

I must have not gotten around to giving one or two of the EMS a proper go yet. Might go for that soon.

MrDaravon

Having only 24/321 songs left to perfect, it's quite interesting I haven't got the perfect chain trophy yet. Especially considering the remaining songs are grouped as:

I must have not gotten around to giving one or two of the EMS a proper go yet. Might go for that soon.

God the EMS tracks are so painful. I will pray for you in your quest to AC those.

Adam I'll get a pic up later, you mean just of my proficard that shows my rhythmia etc?

Kirlia

Banned

If you can all critical every EMS, you won't just be a Theatrhythm god. You'll be the Theatrhythm COSMIC DEITY OF ALL UNIVERSES, ALTERNATE OR OTHERWISE.

By the way, Moonless Starry Night (FFCC) is the worst (as in GOD FUCKING DAMN IT I HATE THIS PIECE OF SHIT STAGE) EMS, if you ask me. However, it feels like Button mode works better for most EMSes than Stylus mode. Let me know how things go!

Well today has been a great day! Not only have I done an EMS (Curtain Call Medley) but I've also done the last three non DLC non EMS songs I had left!!

MrDaravon

Well today has been a great day! Not only have I done an EMS (Curtain Call Medley) but I've also done the last three non DLC non EMS songs I had left!!

Congrats! I will pray for you on the EMS tracks. It's been a while, but I vaugely remember the most troublesome ones being Crystal Chronicles, Crisis Core, and FF14.

Also was a good day for me as well, I finally hit 100 Short Quests completed, so I now have the big shiny star for all Quest related things in records. So now I never have to do a Quest again unless I want to to make an Inherited quest sharable or something.

Kirlia

Banned
Congrats! I will pray for you on the EMS tracks. It's been a while, but I vaugely remember the most troublesome ones being Crystal Chronicles, Crisis Core, and FF14.

I will say it once more: Moonless Starry Night is bullshit garbage. Especially on Basic mode. The pauses are SO long between notes; even by EMS standards, you have to be exact as hell. And again, for all of you who have yet to discover the joys of EMS, I'd start with button mode. I can usually at least Perfect Chain any EMS with Greats (mostly Greats) and Criticals as long as I use button mode, but I'm more prone to Goods and Bads on stylus mode for EMS. And stylus mode is usually the mode I'm best at for BMS and FMS.

I've done every EMS on basic and expert!! My god. Also finally got the perfect chain all ultimate songs trophy.

These are the songs I have left to perfect on ultimate, but I've taken a well deserved break from this game now.

-DLC-
Assault
Beat Them Up!
Boss Battle 2
Crazy Chocobo
He of the Name
Leviathan Battle
Pop-Up Duel
Primal Judgment
Sacrifice Part Three
Shadowlord
Song of the Ancients / Devola
World Revolution

-EMS-
1000 Words
Advent: One-Winged Angel
CRISES CORE - Dreams and Honor
Moonless Starry Night
Warrior Goddess

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Christ you people are inhuman. I am still playing it regularly and just having a solid time doing dailies on Basic or Expert(moving up when I all crit). Can't fathom how some of you all crit ultimates.

I normally hate music rhythm games, never could get into EBA and others, but the FF music is so good I can't help but adore this game and its all I have played on my 3DS since last Sep.

The FFXI music is even making me consider subbing for that game, some of those tracks are resplendent.

MrDaravon

I just used every single EXP card I accumulated over ~350 hours of play, and it only got one character from level 1 to level 84. The fuck.

Falk

that puzzling face
The FFXI music is even making me consider subbing for that game, some of those tracks are resplendent.

Tangential but if you want to experience MMOs, it's better to do it sooner rather than later (barring launch concurrent spike stability shenanigans), since once the plug is pulled the experience is lost to the ether.

(Not saying that's the case for FFXI but you never know)

MrDaravon

Anyone know offhand how many AI Victories you need for the big shiny star in that stat? I only just got to 4 small stars at 50 :/

Edit: Finally just re-found the JP wiki with the requirements, it's 150. FML

ONE FINAL MISSION

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
So I DLed the iOS version on a whim because it was free, and wound up really liking it but of course I'm not gonna buy the whole game through IAP there.

Am I better off getting this or this original?

So I DLed the iOS version on a whim because it was free, and wound up really liking it but of course I'm not gonna buy the whole game through IAP there.

Am I better off getting this or this original?

This one.
It has everything from the first game (barring one DLC song) plus tons more.
New characters, a multitude of new songs, all the DLC from the first game on the cart, refinements.
Almost no reason to buy the first.

Cathcart

Sorry if this has been covered, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good team to start ultimate difficulty with? Right now I S/SS everything in expert but end up failing most of the way through everything I try on ultimate. I'm sure I'll get it eventually but a little boost would be nice.

MrDaravon

Sorry if this has been covered, but I was wondering if anyone has suggestions for a good team to start ultimate difficulty with? Right now I S/SS everything in expert but end up failing most of the way through everything I try on ultimate. I'm sure I'll get it eventually but a little boost would be nice.

If you're just looking to get clear tracks just take anyone who is a healer. Offhand Cosmos is the best healer in the game with her regen and healing spells, but anyone who gets Cura/Curaga stuff is good. IIRC Garnet and Y'shtola also get Curaga and I think Full Cure as well. I'd also maybe recommend Cecil as he only gets up to Cura, but he also gets Protect and he is also a solid damage dealer with having a Limit Break and Focus abilities as well, so him plus any of the three above (or more if you need it) should work.

Mighty Guard is also a huge damage reduction, but unless you've already Reset the character a few times Mighty Guard is going to be nearly all of someone's CP at level 99 without any resets.

Cathcart

Awesome, thanks. I unlocked Garnet yesterday so I'll get to work on leveling her up and keep an eye out for the others you mentioned.

Edit: So yeah, that helped a lot. I leveled Garnet up doing quests for a while until the quests started throwing Ultimate songs at me. I didn't even realize it at first, I got about halfway through an FMS and I was like "wait a minute, this is harder than it should be", lol.

Between Garnet and Laguna I get a decent amount of health regen and was able to finish a few Ultimate songs. Now I just have to get more efficient at it so I can actually do some damage to bosses.

Thanks again!

MrDaravon

I removed this cart from my 3DS for the first time literally since October, it was physically painful :(. Will still play on a daily basis, but now that I finished P4G I want to start on Persona Q. All I have left is to get Total Criticals on everything, and I'm having some serious problems with some of the FF8/FF9 BMS tracks, so not sure if long-term I'll be able to do it, but I'll keep trying!

Awesome, thanks. I unlocked Garnet yesterday so I'll get to work on leveling her up and keep an eye out for the others you mentioned.

Edit: So yeah, that helped a lot. I leveled Garnet up doing quests for a while until the quests started throwing Ultimate songs at me. I didn't even realize it at first, I got about halfway through an FMS and I was like "wait a minute, this is harder than it should be", lol.

Between Garnet and Laguna I get a decent amount of health regen and was able to finish a few Ultimate songs. Now I just have to get more efficient at it so I can actually do some damage to bosses.

Thanks again!

No problem! The (only) FAQ for the game at Gamefaqs is HTML and is incredibly comprehensive, I'd recommend checking it out as well.

Celegus

I removed this cart from my 3DS for the first time literally since October, it was physically painful :(. Will still play on a daily basis, but now that I finished P4G I want to start on Persona Q. All I have left is to get Total Criticals on everything, and I'm having some serious problems with some of the FF8/FF9 BMS tracks, so not sure if long-term I'll be able to do it, but I'll keep trying!

Sounds like the day I finally closed Spelunky on my Vita. I hardly realized it could even play other games!

MrDaravon

Sounds like the day I finally closed Spelunky on my Vita. I hardly realized it could even play other games!

Yeah, I just had the same realization yesterday when I closed Persona 4 Golden on my PSTV (I don't have an actual Vita unit). I pretty much bought it just for P4G and PSP/PS1 stuff off of PSN lol.

Can't complain, even if I never played Theatrhythm again I got like 400 hours out of it. Good times.

MrDaravon

In the past 12 hours I finally, FINALLY after months of working on them, got Total Criticals on FF7 Bombing Mission (32 tries), FF8 Force Your Way (12 tries), and Liberi Fatali (64 tries). Fuck. Yes.

Force Your Way was actually considerably more attempts, but the two TC blocks I was missing were like the 4th and 5th blocks in the song, so I was restarting after ~30 seconds so that's why that try count is so low. For Bombing Mission and Liberai Fatali the blocks I was missing were near the end, so I pretty much had to do the whole song. On one hand I feel like a scrub it took me so long to get these, on the other hand I know a lot of people can't even do it and I'm thrilled just to finally get them done so whatever lol. Making progress!

MrDaravon

Yeah, I'm trying to play at least somewhat consistently to avoid that happening. Currently a but stuck on Battle with Seymour, specifically the very end with the very taps followed by arrows. Honestly the beat for half of that song totally eludes me, so playing the whole song every time is very annoying.

MrDaravon

Ugh, Battle with Seymour is sucking my will to live. The only Critical block I'm missing is the very very end with the very quick taps, the song is really long, I don't care for it much and the beat feels slightly off to me the whole time. So by the time I actually get to the part I need to do I'm already frustrated and annoyed. I almost never get stuck on a part at the beginning of a song, it's almost always the end :(. Making fantastic progress otherwise though, I'm at somewhere around 210-215 songs (out of 321) with Total Critical done on Ultimate. I'm ultimately going to try to get all of them, but in terms of getting the last trophy I think I have about 40-45 left for that, unfortunately Seymour is one I need.

MrDaravon

FINALLY

v0hvBY2.jpg

I am like 99% sure I totally dropped a note at the end in the last Critical block that I needed, so I don't know if this was the game throwing me a pity bone or what but I'll take it. Huge morale boost too, since while I haven't made serious attempts on all of the remaining Ultimate tracks, this was the last track I was specifically worried about being able to do for the last trophy. There are some DLC tracks I'm concerned about, but those don't count towards the trophy.

Celegus

FINALLY

v0hvBY2.jpg

I am like 99% sure I totally dropped a note at the end in the last Critical block that I needed, so I don't know if this was the game throwing me a pity bone or what but I'll take it. Huge morale boost too, since while I haven't made serious attempts on all of the remaining Ultimate tracks, this was the last track I was specifically worried about being able to do for the last trophy. There are some DLC tracks I'm concerned about, but those don't count towards the trophy.

50 times! That's some dedication and a ridiculously hard song - I'm pretty pumped if I get close to an S rank on it.

MrDaravon

50 times! That's some dedication and a ridiculously hard song - I'm pretty pumped if I get close to an S rank on it.

I refuse to give up on this! I will not let my old man hands prevent me from getting all of the trophies.

Edit: Divinity II is totally kicking my ass, specifically the section from 100 to about 150 notes. It only takes like 45 seconds to hit that part at least, but I've got to be up to over 100 attempts on it. Also currently stuck on one block in the middle of Advent OWA which isn't super hard, I just keep fucking up on (the section right before the summon part starts). That one is mostly annoying just because even though it's the halfway mark of the song that would put it at about the end of most other songs. Wound up mostly skipping these two and coming back here and there when I'm completing other songs, I'm probably only about 20 or so tracks away from the trophy (which I will need Divinity for).

MrDaravon

37 Ultimate tracks away from getting Total Critical on all tracks. 36 of those are from Square-Enix titles (which don't count towards the trophy), then the last track is a FFXII track which I'm going to try to save for last. I'm afraid if I go ahead and get the trophy it'll kill my motivation to get the Total Critical on the remaining tracks haha.

Kirlia

Banned
You are the one person keeping this thread alive. Bless your soul.

(I still need to clear all songs on all modes...curse you, event music stages!)

Top Bottom