• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Kjellson

What kind of game is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? I tried to watch some videos (it's hard to find some with just gameplay without a bunch of people talking over them) and it kind of looks like Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma, medieval-fantasy-open-world-ish. Is that so?

I'm interested if that's the case.

What kind of game is Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning? I tried to watch some videos (it's hard to find some with just gameplay without a bunch of people talking over them) and it kind of looks like Skyrim and Dragon's Dogma, Medieval-fantasy-open-world-ish. Is that so?

I'm interested if that's the case.

It's pretty much similar to those two that you mentioned, but the battle system is more similar to something like God of War or Darksiders as opposed to Skyrim or Dragon's Dogma.
It's an open world title with quests and whatnot, so if you like that format but want something a bit more colourful and I guess arcade-y then you'll like KoA:R.

uberluigi

Banned
It's pretty much similar to those two that you mentioned, but the battle system is more similar to something like God of War or Darksiders as opposed to Skyrim or Dragon's Dogma.
It's an open world title with quests and whatnot, so if you like that format but want something a bit more colourful and I guess arcade-y then you'll like KoA:R.

Pretty much what he said, the game is really fun and the gameplay is really good but it does kinda get repetitive and boring half way through, though it does get better and I recommend it. Too bad we won't see a sequel anytime soon.

Chinbo37

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right thread.

About 1.5 years ago I got a free FAT PS3 from my friends brother cause he moved to Korea and wasnt using it at all. I did use it but I was afraid to put lots of saves on it and stuff in case he ever asked for it back but he just confirmed he doesnt want it anymore.

Anyways last week I had a chance to buy a fat PS3 from another friend. I know its not advisable to buy fat PS3s due to YLOD but it was 75 bucks for the system, 2 controllers, God of War Saga and a Rachet and CLank game so I couldnt really pass it up.

Now I have two PS3s and I really want to make one "mine". The other I will sell on ebay or something. I plan to install a 500 gb hard drive in the one I choose, and to reapply the thermal paste. I also read about the different fans and power supplies that the FATs came with to try to keep it running as cool possible.

So here is where I need help:

One is supposedly a launch model (its the one I just got). It has the 4 USB ports in the front with the "chrome" plastic around the disc insert slot. It also has a flip up panel revealing some IO ports to the left of the disc slot. It is a 60 gb model. I played Demons Souls for a bit and after 5 minutes the fan spins up pretty loud, but it is exhausting hot air from the case (both the back and the side/top depending on how it is oriented). I stopped playing about 15 minutes ago and ejected the disc but the fan is still spinning pretty loudly.

The other one I am not sure which model it is. it is a 40 gb version with 2 USB ports on the front. It doesnt have chome plastic but grey plastic around the disc drive. There is no flip up part with teh IO ports (or I cant figure out how to flip it up and i dont want to break it) When playing Demons Souls for 10 minutes or so the fan never really spins up loud and it is much quieter than the other one. There is hot air ejecting from the back of the case but from the side/top there is no hot air at all really. The problem with this one is that while discs play and read perfectly, they dont like to eject from the drive. You have to tilt the system down and use gravity to get the disc to come out (lol), and even then it takes a couple of tries.

What I would like to do is combine the best parts of each system and keep the best one. I am leaning toward keeping the 40 gig grey one but taking the blu ray drive from the 60 gig one and just swap them. Besides the termal paste mod has anyone had any luck with changing the fan or PSU? I read a bit about that online but not exactly sure if it is worth it.

Any help is appreciated.

Epcott

Two things I would love to see on the modern consoles:

Censored Audio Track for games: for when playing a game with intense dialogue around children (or in front of a language sensitive audience). For instance, my nephew loves inFamous SS, but Hank drops f-bombs near the beginning. Rather than constantly muting the game, there could be an option to choose an audio track with G to PG language if needed. Even better would be for the game to automatically detect parental settings and automatically enable it. Will probably never happen as multiple audio tracks are expensive to development.

The second thing would be for a Kickstarter App on PSN. After installing it, gamers can choose to browse projects or contribute money to gain access to extended alphas, music, artwork, whatever or have the game preordered and ready to download in the store when funding is complete. Basically, it would be the same as it is now, but more regulated and accessible on console. They could include voting like Greenlight. Perhaps Sony could help with licenses and so on.

What is the likelihood either of these two may happen this gen?

Vita question: Upgrading to a 32gb card from an 8gb card - is there a quick/easy way to get the stuff I currently have on one card to the other or do I basically just have to re-download all the games from download history to the 32gb card?

Chinbo37

Hi guys, not sure if this is the right thread.

About 1.5 years ago I got a free FAT PS3 from my friends brother cause he moved to Korea and wasnt using it at all. I did use it but I was afraid to put lots of saves on it and stuff in case he ever asked for it back but he just confirmed he doesnt want it anymore.

Anyways last week I had a chance to buy a fat PS3 from another friend. I know its not advisable to buy fat PS3s due to YLOD but it was 75 bucks for the system, 2 controllers, God of War Saga and a Rachet and CLank game so I couldnt really pass it up.

Now I have two PS3s and I really want to make one "mine". The other I will sell on ebay or something. I plan to install a 500 gb hard drive in the one I choose, and to reapply the thermal paste. I also read about the different fans and power supplies that the FATs came with to try to keep it running as cool possible.

So here is where I need help:

One is supposedly a launch model (its the one I just got). It has the 4 USB ports in the front with the "chrome" plastic around the disc insert slot. It also has a flip up panel revealing some IO ports to the left of the disc slot. It is a 60 gb model. I played Demons Souls for a bit and after 5 minutes the fan spins up pretty loud, but it is exhausting hot air from the case (both the back and the side/top depending on how it is oriented). I stopped playing about 15 minutes ago and ejected the disc but the fan is still spinning pretty loudly.

The other one I am not sure which model it is. it is a 40 gb version with 2 USB ports on the front. It doesnt have chome plastic but grey plastic around the disc drive. There is no flip up part with teh IO ports (or I cant figure out how to flip it up and i dont want to break it) When playing Demons Souls for 10 minutes or so the fan never really spins up loud and it is much quieter than the other one. There is hot air ejecting from the back of the case but from the side/top there is no hot air at all really. The problem with this one is that while discs play and read perfectly, they dont like to eject from the drive. You have to tilt the system down and use gravity to get the disc to come out (lol), and even then it takes a couple of tries.

What I would like to do is combine the best parts of each system and keep the best one. I am leaning toward keeping the 40 gig grey one but taking the blu ray drive from the 60 gig one and just swap them. Besides the termal paste mod has anyone had any luck with changing the fan or PSU? I read a bit about that online but not exactly sure if it is worth it.

Any help is appreciated.

sorry one thing I forgot - I dont care about backwards compatibility

Corpekata

Banned
Vita question: Upgrading to a 32gb card from an 8gb card - is there a quick/easy way to get the stuff I currently have on one card to the other or do I basically just have to re-download all the games from download history to the 32gb card?

Back it up to a PC or PS3 using the Content Manager application. Then restore it with the same thing. Can be quite slow though so depending on how fast your internet is you might have an easier time redownloading. Just make sure to back up save files first.

Zoe

Any help is appreciated.

Are you sure swapping the drives is possible? Look up the spare parts and make sure it's compatible with both models.

MikeDip

God bless all my old friends/And god bless me too, why pretend?
I never played minecraft....but i have played don't starve

are they essentially the same thing, but minecraft has more building like terraria?

"More building" is an understatement. Minecraft is like virtual Lego with some fighting thrown in.

That said, you can play it however you want to, and mod it like crazy, so even if building isn't your thing you can still have fun.

Mozz-eyes

Banned
So I'll be getting a fairly high end Android soon as I've got sick of my terrible model crashing all the time.

What games would you chaps recommend?

Also, apps generally?

Threes! and Super Hexagon are my favorite mobile games available on Android. If the screen is large enough I also recommend The Room and its sequel.

Pikma

Banned
So today I saw Trauma Center UTK and Trace Memory (Another Code in EU), And having never played them I got super interested for both. They're at $20 each or $30 for both (used but in perfect condition as far as I could see). And.. I was wondering... are they worth it?

I know they're kinda expensive but knowing myself, if I opened Amazon on the tab right next to this one I'd end up buying a shitload of games, all except for those two.

I played through Another Code a few weeks ago. It's a fun, but very short, adventure game. The puzzles are clever although not particularly challenging. In total the game lasted me about 3 hours.

The Trauma Center games are enjoyable as well.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I just bought zoo tycoon on Xbox one and want to delete the demo. But when I go to games and apps, both have identical icons and names, and are practically the same size (2.5GB and 2.6GB). How do I know which one I can delete?

BibiMaghoo

sorry one thing I forgot - I dont care about backwards compatibility

Well, the newer model will certainly last you longer, but...

I would keep the older model, simply because they are getting rarer as time goes on, if you have one you may regret not keeping it in the future.

Anyone know if Staples or any other place that recycles old computer cases ? I recently bought a new one and would like to get rid of the old one once I've finished taking everything out of it.

Tenrius

Why is there a Health & Safety booklet included with every game for Nintendo platforms, but it's not the case with PS family games, for example?

I just bought zoo tycoon on Xbox one and want to delete the demo. But when I go to games and apps, both have identical icons and names, and are practically the same size (2.5GB and 2.6GB). How do I know which one I can delete?

Check the dates on them, you can work out which one you played last.

On 360, I share downloaded games and DLC between my two 360 consoles, so my wife and I can play together. As long as my profile, the one that is purchasing the content, is stored locally on both, it'll allow access to that stuff. Does it work the same way for Xbone? How about PS4?

sugarless

Two things I would love to see on the modern consoles:

Censored Audio Track for games: for when playing a game with intense dialogue around children (or in front of a language sensitive audience). For instance, my nephew loves inFamous SS, but Hank drops f-bombs near the beginning. Rather than constantly muting the game, there could be an option to choose an audio track with G to PG language if needed. Even better would be for the game to automatically detect parental settings and automatically enable it. Will probably never happen as multiple audio tracks are expensive to development.

Expense, time, resources and lack of apparent strong demand for this make it very unlikely to happen unless some country gets as paranoid about swearing as Germany does about violence, and developers are forced to make 'mild' and 'uncut' versions in order to sell their games there.

RiggyRob

Expense, time, resources and lack of apparent strong demand for this make it very unlikely to happen unless some country or gets as paranoid about swearing as Germany does about violence, and developers are forced to make 'mild' and 'uncut' versions in order to sell their games there.

Depends on the game - I know Gears of War had a censor option for the gore and strong language.

maxcriden

So today I saw Trauma Center UTK and Trace Memory (Another Code in EU), And having never played them I got super interested for both. They're at $20 each or $30 for both (used but in perfect condition as far as I could see). And.. I was wondering... are they worth it?

I know they're kinda expensive but knowing myself, if I opened Amazon on the tab right next to this one I'd end up buying a shitload of games, all except for those two.

Did you buy TC? I think it's much cheaper on eBay, at least the Wii version. FWIW GS has the Wii version for like $2.99 used.

Does the gamespy server shutdown affect Borderlands 1 on 360? I could only find specification for PC and PS3. If so, will I still be able to do LAN system link play?

3bdelilah

Banned
I've got a question somewhat similar to Dezzy's. I'm thinking of buying the original Deus Ex on PSN (which, for the record, seems to be the PS2 port), but how does it look on an HD television? How responsive are the controls, what's the frame-rate, etc? I unfortunately don't have a pc here at home, and I can't play on the pc at my parents' place (little sisters are way too loud). The price is 9,99 Euro now, but I'll probably wait for a sale then.

Yay or nay?

theRizzle

I want to finally play Fallout: New Vegas but I only have the original release (360) without the DLC. The DLC packs are about $10 each. However, the GOTY Edition is on sale right now for $10.

Would I be able to start the game using my original disc, then install the DLC from the disc of the GOTY edition and play it? I'd rather pay $10 than $40 for the DLC packs.

I want to finally play Fallout: New Vegas but I only have the original release (360) without the DLC. The DLC packs are about $10 each. However, the GOTY Edition is on sale right now for $10.

Would I be able to start the game using my original disc, then install the DLC from the disc of the GOTY edition and play it? I'd rather pay $10 than $40 for the DLC packs.

Almost assuredly a no but I suppose I don't know for certain

Would be a really really strange use case for developers/publishers to have planned for

Ermac

Proudly debt free. If you need a couple bucks, just ask.
What's the name of that Mother/Earthbound (I think) enemy who looks like a yellow gumby? He's on the floor lookin weak.

Marvel

could never
Anyone know why on PS4 I can no longer view my own videos I upload in what's new? I see the play button, click it and it brings up the video but it's just an image of the film reel with an arrow curving up. Blank.

It's the same with all my friends videos to, can't watch them. Though I can see screenshots.

All privacy settings are open so I don't know hwy it's suddenly stopped working.

yatesl

Fun fact: if you want to be less than morale, you can borrow the DLC disc from someone, install it, and carry on with your copy. Whether that classes as piracy, though, I don't know.

But yes, saves work. Same with any Bethesda GotY

theRizzle

Almost assuredly a no but I suppose I don't know for certain

Would be a really really strange use case for developers/publishers to have planned for

Fun fact: if you want to be less than morale, you can borrow the DLC disc from someone, install it, and carry on with your copy. Whether that classes as piracy, though, I don't know.

But yes, saves work. Same with any Bethesda GotY

Thanks for the responses guys.

Turns out I have my original disc in storage so I had to go and buy a new copy anyways.

Chinbo37

I have had my gaming PC now for a little over 1 year. I dont play a ton of games but I always like to check Steam for sales and stuff.

The problem I have is that it seems hard to get a "list" of games and prices next to them. I need to search by title or by genre and its generally not very user friendly. Is there anywhere else online I can just see a list of every game being sold on steam with a current price next to it? A simple text list would be perfect.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
Is there any specific reason that Rise of the Triad runs like absolute shit?

If I use the "High-Preset" I get between 12-30 frames per sec.

If I turn every effect off and set everything to low? Want to guess? 12-30 frames per second.

I mean fuck, it doesn't even look that good to begin with.

Valanarro

I'm looking to get a PS3, but im not sure which one to get. Gamestop is selling refurbished 60gb fat PS3s with the ps2 backwards compatibility for $210, and there's the super slim 12GB for $200, plus the possibility of a new revision coming out soon. Backwards compatibility is pretty nice, but i don't want to have this thing break in a month or two. I'm torn, what do?

Chinbo37

I'm looking to get a PS3, but im not sure which one to get. Gamestop is selling refurbished 60gb fat PS3s with the ps2 backwards compatibility for $210, and there's the super slim 12GB for $200, plus the possibility of a new revision coming out soon. Backwards compatibility is pretty nice, but i don't want to have this thing break in a month or two. I'm torn, what do?

Unless you absolutely need the backwards compatibility, get the super slim.

Sure teh slim looks nice but i dont trust having a drive slot. I have had a drive break on my PS3 before and a quick google search will show you that its pretty common. the super slim has the flip up drive loading so you drop the disc in. No chance the disc can ever get stuck.

Some people dont like the look of the super slim but looks fine to me.

Which version of Disgaea 2 was better: The PS2 version or the PSP? I've heard it was one of the weakest entries in the series, so please don't give me "neither" and just humour me, okay?

Top Bottom