• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Jucksalbe

Banned
Which version of Disgaea 2 was better: The PS2 version or the PSP? I've heard it was one of the weakest entries in the series, so please don't give me "neither" and just humour me, okay?

The PSP version has a lot of added stuff and has no downside I can think of, so it's easily the better version. Plus the series works better on a handheld, at least for me. Disgaea 2 is in no way a bad game, btw., the story is the worst of all games with a main character you just want to punch in the face, but mechanics-wise it's my favorite in the series.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
A question of trope identification. I've identified but can't quite seem to put a name to a trope I've noticed, wondering if anyone knows what it's called and maybe even have an idea of origin.

You know how robots these days sound a lot like animals? Some examples.

Half Life 2 Hunter vocalizations. Pretty much all of the combine, really. Gunships and Striders too.

Metal Gear Solid 4: Gekkos. I picked the gekkos but come to think of it, the Metal Gear Rex had a whole mecha godzilla thing going for it in the first MGS, and all of the Metal Gears have had animal aspects to them.

Oblivion's drones. Fairly similar to the gekko's moos, in my opinion. Bonus comparison.

There's tropes about robot voices and evil voices, but I can't seem to find one for "Non-Anthropomorphic Robot Sounds Like An Animal To Make It More Familiar And Relatable."

A question of trope identification. I've identified but can't quite seem to put a name to a trope I've noticed, wondering if anyone knows what it's called and maybe even have an idea of origin.

You know how robots these days sound a lot like animals? Some examples.

There's tropes about robot voices and evil voices, but I can't seem to find one for "Non-Anthropomorphic Robot Sounds Like An Animal To Make It More Familiar And Relatable."

I think this is the trope you are looking for.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NoisyNature

DeviantBoi

I'm looking to get a UPS battery backup for my TV and PS4.

If I would like a 10-15 minute window when the power goes out, what type do I need?

I have a 46" Sony Bravia and a PS4. I would also have my cable box and PS3 plugged, but that could go into the non-battery plugs.

I'm looking to get a UPS battery backup for my TV and PS4.

If I would like a 10-15 minute window when the power goes out, what type do I need?

I have a 46" Sony Bravia and a PS4. I would also have my cable box and PS3 plugged, but that could go into the non-battery plugs.

What wattage is your TV? Or at least the model number so we can look it up I guess

Wynnebeck

Banned
This is going to sound dumb, but does Target honor price matching from other stores? I want to use Best Buy's Watch_Dogs deal with my Target giftcards from the trades last week.

frontovik

Banned
Hello GAF. Well, I have some stupid questions about consoles/handhelds as I used to prefer playing games only on the PC:

a) I've read that the PS2 slim will scratch the game disc while it's being played. Is this an issue with all PS2 slim models? What's the best option for reducing the chances of disc damage?

b) How durable are the DS and Gameboy Advance cartridges (assuming that I take good care of them and don't do anything stupid)

c) What is the average "shelf life" for the Nintendo Advance SP handheld, Dreamcast, PS2, and PS3? What are the chances of them breaking down, not starting up at all, crashing etc?

d) Are there any websites you'd recommend for buying games for the above mentioned consoles? (aside from GAF Sell and Thread or eBay)

LGom09

How durable are the DS and Gameboy Advance cartridges (assuming that I take good care of them and don't do anything stupid)
Basically indestructible. I've never had one stop working.

What is the average "shelf life" for the Nintendo Advance SP handheld, Dreamcast, PS2, and PS3? What are the chances of them breaking down, not starting up at all, crashing etc?
Not sure about Dreamcast, but Nintendo systems are generally extremely durable. Have had a PS3 since 2009 and a PS2 since probably 2005 and never had a problem with either.

Are there any websites you'd recommend for buying games for the above mentioned consoles? (aside from GAF Sell and Thread or eBay)
99gamers is good, but since it's a trading site, you can only buy so much before you have to sell some of your own stuff. I think you can purchase 4 games for every 1 you sell or something like that. Good prices though.

a) I've read that the PS2 slim will scratch the game disc while it's being played. Is this an issue with all PS2 slim models? What's the best option for reducing the chances of disc damage?
I haven't heard of this before and I doubt it's common. My original fat PS2, however, did scratch discs just before it stopped working completely. I suggest you buy a slim and hope for the best.

b) How durable are the DS and Gameboy Advance cartridges (assuming that I take good care of them and don't do anything stupid)
All of my carts still work. You will have to replace the batteries in GameBoy Advance cartridges eventually. Nothing lasts forever though and you might want to look up emulation if you're interested in playing your games in the future.[/quote]

c) What is the average "shelf life" for the Nintendo Advance SP handheld, Dreamcast, PS2, and PS3? What are the chances of them breaking down, not starting up at all, crashing etc?
All consumer hardware products have a non-zero failure rate. Things break and you should be prepared to replace them eventually. I still have many functional systems in my basement (Game & Watch, Commodore 64, Atari ST, Super Nintendo, etc). The only systems that are gone is a launch model PS2 and a Vita. It doesn't mean that those systems had unusually high failure rate. The statistics remain the same and even with low failure rates some customers will end up with broken systems, and with time the number of failures will accumulate.

CKy8E6M.jpg

(this is supposedly a realistic chart although I'm not sure how reliable it is)

d) Are there any websites you'd recommend for buying games for the above mentioned consoles? (aside from GAF Sell and Thread or eBay)
I would start by searching Amazon.com.

Baliis

Basically indestructible. I've never had one stop working.

As a kid, I lost my copy of metroid fusion and found it like two years later where it had fallen behind the washer/dryer that we had. Blew on it a bit, popped it in and it worked great, still had my old saves and everything. I'm still amazed when I look at how beat up that cart is that it works.

So I'm getting a 3DS next month. I want to get the XL, but I'm curious if the bigger screen and resolution make the games more 'pixely' than on a normal 3DS.

This is a question about Steve Jackson's Sorcery. There's a famous and beautiful piece of classical music that plays when the spellbook is open. It's something I've heard before, outside the game, but I don't know what it's called or who the composer is. I wonder can anyone help me with this?

Tregard

Soothsayer
Given how successful Hearthstone has been and is continuing to be, does anyone think Valve might eventually "game-ify" their trading card system somehow?

So I'm getting a 3DS next month. I want to get the XL, but I'm curious if the bigger screen and resolution make the games more 'pixely' than on a normal 3DS.

Technically yes, as the sceen size is bigger but the resolution is the same as on the original. However, I would strongly suggest to try out both handhelds and compare them, maybe at a store or from a friend. Many users don't mind the slightly bigger pixels and prefer the bigger screen.

This is a question about Steve Jackson's Sorcery. There's a famous and beautiful piece of classical music that plays when the spellbook is open. It's something I've heard before, outside the game, but I don't know what it's called or who the composer is. I wonder can anyone help me with this?

Found the answer to my own stupid question. (It's "Fantasia on a Theme by Thomas Tallis", composed by Ralph Vaughan Williams)

Why do PS2 games from PSN run like crap on my OG fat PS3 (with PS2 chip), when apparently they run fine on later PS3 models? Was the PS3's clock speed silently upgraded later on?

Is there a website where I can find out who wrote the soundtracks for games? I Googled it, but every database I've found has been incomplete. I mainly wanted to find out who did a bunch of the older Mario Kart course themes.

This is a very stupid question that my new Xbox One is making me ask: What exactly constitutes as "inactivity" for the Xbox One?

Because I've left it running on three separate occasions in hope that it would auto shutdown in an hour (as is set in the settings), only to find it still powered on... nearly 8 hours later.

NaviLink

Hello GAF. I have a simple question: which gaffers are gif makers? Can be either gaming or OT or both sides. I know there is Sunnhilegend but there must be others. Cheers!

Sarcasm

Anybody have this issue with Origin?

Basically been trying to verify email and turn on the email code, but the issue is..I don't even get the verify email address email. I even check spam and its been 12+ hours.

Don't think I will use that code thing if I ever get the emails.

JayEH

Are most e3 demos actually played live? I figure it's actually a video and there's just some dude on stage with a controller for show.

Rufus

Some are live, some aren't. Fuck-ups do happen. Even video has been botched. Like last year, when Battlefield 4 gameplay footage (?) didn't have any sound.
Can't think of any off live demo mishaps off hand, but I'm sure they're on Youtube. Search for "E3 fail" or whatever and see if you can bear watching.

Some are live, some aren't. Fuck-ups do happen. Even video has been botched. Like last year, when Battlefield 4 gameplay footage (?) didn't have any sound.
Can't think of any off live demo mishaps off hand, but I'm sure they're on Youtube. Search for "E3 fail" or whatever and see if you can bear watching.

assassin's creed 4 on ps4 live demo stuttered to a halt and had to be terminated last year

edit: just read the post you were responding to. whether that was a video with some person just pretending to play, dunno. still happened though

ultron87

I think I remember hearing that the typical practice for stuff that is live is to have a second demo being run through behind stage that they can emergency swap the video to in case of problems. So it starts off with the person on stage actually playing, but if something goes wrong or glitches they can make the quick switch and the stage person just keeps pretending to play.

My understanding is that actually in many cases, there's a backup presenter who's playing exactly at the same time as the guy in front, so if shit goes down (as it probably will), the flip the switch to show the feed of the backup guy, and the stage person just becomes an actor.

Corpekata

Banned
Is there anything different between the SNES, PS1, and DS versions of Chrono Trigger? All I know is the PS1 has longer load times.

Bonus content in the DS version, as well as a new translation, and some of the features the PS1 added like some cinematics. PS1 is widely regarded as the worst version, so I'd avoid that if you're choosing soon.

Top Bottom