• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Rufus

What will happen to my Steam games when Steam no longer provides its services?
Gabe Newell said they'll offer a way to unhook them from the client, which you can essentially already do if you get cracked .exe' files from somewhere. I assume their agreements with publishers contain some clause to that effect. Now, that's only useful if they announce their demise long before, but you know, details.

mclem

Gabe Newell said they'll offer a way to unhook them from the client, which you can essentially already do if you get cracked .exe' files from somewhere. I assume their agreements with publishers contain some clause to that effect. Now, that's only useful if they announce their demise long before, but you know, details.

I believe that statement only applied to Valve's own games at the time. Now, they may well have expanded the agreement further, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's not that all-encompassing.

Ashtar

For the PS3 what is good couch local CoOp? Is Diablo 3 the best dungeon loot heck and slash?
How many players you talking?
Diablo 3 is great, castle crashers is another option, Lara croft guardian of the light is classic, I really enjoyed rayman origins and legends as well.

Rufus

What do people mean when they say IQ, relative to graphics?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JBN5MNpYWlY

OK, not the best video, but he mentions the most important things. Resolution differences like aliased edges, aka "jaggies", "stairs", etc. should be self-explanatory. All sorts of anti-aliasing solutions clean those up.

Anisotropic filtering helps with muddy textures on angled, far away surfaces:
Anisotropic_compare.png

Then there's level of detail, aka LOD:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Level_of_detail

And of course a multitude of special effects like smoke, clouds, light beams, shadows, ambient-occlusion, etc. that contribute to IQ, but the above have the biggest immediate impact if you fiddle with the settings.

Sarcasm

PS3 question, say if I but a game for it and later upgrade to a PS4...I lose the game correct? This is if I bought digitally.

Tenrius

PS3 question, say if I but a game for it and later upgrade to a PS4...I lose the game correct? This is if I bought digitally.

What do you mean by this? The game will still be in your library and you will be able to download it to any PS3 system associated with it. Whether you have a PS4 or not does not matter. If you're asking if PS4 is backwards compatible with the PS3, not it is not.

Sarcasm

What do you mean by this? The game will still be in your library and you will be able to download it to any PS3 system associated with it. Whether you have a PS4 or not does not matter. If you're asking if PS4 is backwards compatible with the PS3, not it is not.

Hum choices man guess I will just get the Ps3 version.

I've got a question about PSnow.

Since you'll be able to play on certain televisions. I'm assuming that you can play classics, as well as vita games and newer console titles.

Will you be able to play Vita games on either PS3 or 4? There have been a few Vita games I've wanted to play, but not enough to justify a purchase of the handheld.

I've been thinking of deleting my save in The World Ends With You. With the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service gone, can I still get mingle pp for the pins that level up and evolve using it? Or am I out of luck?

Tenrius

Do you reckon SMT IV is going to get a lower price in Europe since it's a digital-only release? AA5, for the example, is indeed cheaper than digital versions of retail games.

ultron87

I've been thinking of deleting my save in The World Ends With You. With the Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection service gone, can I still get mingle pp for the pins that level up and evolve using it? Or am I out of luck?

Wasn't the Mingle stuff only using the local Wireless connectivity stuff? I think it would still work assuming you can find people running around with DSes.

Robso

Played a few 360 titles at a friend's house and am considering getting a 360 for some of the cheap older games.
Question is, I played some of the games on a different account to his not connected to Live... am I able to go to his and transfer the saves onto a USB to then continue on from on the the 360 I may buy, and connect to Live and sync the achievements with my XBL account?

Hope that makes sense.

Ultimadrago

Okay, so Batman Origins.

I see statements that make it seem it's made from a completely different group than Asylum and City...then I see statements where they sound or are very closely compared to Rocksteady.

What is the actual deal here? (Who developed Origins and if a different studio, why?)

Mendax

Okay, so Batman Origins.

I see statements that make it seem it's made from a completely different group than Asylum and City...then I see statements where they sound or are very closely compared to Rocksteady.

What is the actual deal here? (Who developed Origins and if a different studio, why?)

warner brothers games developed arkham origins, both because rocksteady was busy (and still is) with arkham knight and because someone somewhere wanted to release more arkham games.

The game is quite good though even though it has a fair amount of nasty bugs.

Ultimadrago

warner brothers games developed arkham origins, both because rocksteady was busy (and still is) with arkham knight and because someone somewhere wanted to release more arkham games.

The game is quite good though even though it has a fair amount of nasty bugs.

Okay, just started the game now and was really curious. Thanks!

How cheap did the ps2 end up before it was discontinued (UK preferably) and is there any idea of when the xbox 360 may end up that price? Want to get viva piñata but think it won't happen on Xbox one

Can you not download Nintendoland anymore? Had some eShop points burning a hole in my pocket last night, but it said to "check your local retailer."

Is there a reason you can't download it other than poor sales performance?

Joe

can i play all WII-U games on just the gamepad? i'm thinking about getting one just to lay on the couch and play with, don't really want to play it hooked up to a tv.

if so, will i lose any functionality in the games?

Jucksalbe

Banned
can i play all WII-U games on just the gamepad? i'm thinking about getting one just to lay on the couch and play with, don't really want to play it hooked up to a tv.

Most, but not all. Especially games that rely on the GamePad might not support it (like ZombiU). Look for support of "Off-TV play".

Usually you lose comfort, but not functionality. Some games have maps or inventory screens on the GamePad when you play normally, so you'll lose that when you play without your TV (you'll probably just have to use submenus instead).

Fliesen

there's some games that require both screens, but most games allow for off-TV-play.
ZombiU does require the TV, can't think of any other game that does, right now.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Off-TV_Play#List_of_Off-TV_Play_compatible_software

also, all virtual console games are playable off-tv afaik

gorfyako

Banned
I'm trying to sync a 360 controller to a different 360 than the one it was previously synced to, only problem is that I don't have a battery pack, just the play and charge. When I attach the play and charge, the sync button is covered up, meaning I can't sync it whilst the controller is on.

Is there anyway to get around this and sync the controller whilst the play and charge attachment is attached?
EDIT: A 12-year-old on YouTube taught me this. Good thing I have some AA batteries.

gorfyako

Banned
Is it a good idea to have a backlog or do you just play whatever comes across like fun at the moment?
A backlog only comes about when you buy games that seem like a good deal and you don't have the time to play all of them at the moment. Backlogs aren't entirely neat -- I mean, they are because then you can access games whenever, but they're also not because you spent a lot of money on games you may never play.

I'd say that it's up to you. If you don't care about paying full price for games, don't get a backlog, just pick the game up when you're interested in it.

octopiggy

Sure I've seen this question asked before but can't remember whereor what the answer was:

At what point do developers/publishers stop making money from their retail games?

For example: If I where to buy Wind Waker HD from Amazon now, would I still be supporting Nintendo, or have they already made their money from that game by selling the stock to Amazon?
I guess that is assuming that Nintendo aren't printing any more copies. I don't know if that's the case.

Sure I've seen this question asked before but can't remember whereor what the answer was:

At what point do developers/publishers stop making money from their retail games?

For example: If I where to buy Wind Waker HD from Amazon now, would I still be supporting Nintendo, or have they already made their money from that game by selling the stock to Amazon?
I guess that is assuming that Nintendo aren't printing any more copies. I don't know if that's the case.

I would assume that if you purchase a new copy of said game from an authorized retailer it will still indicate a sale of the game towards the developer. I.E. technically every copy you can buy has already at one point been "sold" by Nintendo but this is to retailers and is referred to as "shipped". Sell-through to consumer is recorded once final sale has been made. Then NPD tracks that sale and Nintendo can show it's shareholders that it sold another 5k of WWHD in the month of June or whatever small amount gets sold new

Did any of that make sense? I'm not so good at explaining things

RiggyRob

As long as they're still being sold directly from the retailer, the developer/publisher will still make money from it.

For example, if you buy Wind Waker HD directly from Amazon that counts as a copy that was shipped to Amazon and sold to a customer, but if you buy it from a third-party seller on Amazon, then that's the same as buying a used/preowned copy, which won't get recorded in any form of sales data.

Will a copy of the Knights of the Old Republic for Xbox still function normally if it has the perfect ring scratch caused by moving 360's? If not can these scratches be repaired? Goodwill had a copy that I snatched up and if it's not going to work I need to return it by tomorrow. Thanks.

mclem

Are VC games on the Wii U actually outputting in high definition or are they outputting in the original resolution and just being upscaled to HD?

What would the difference be to the end user?

Fairly sure the emulator is upscaling it to an HD resolution, I've seen no indication that the TV is getting in a different resolution signal at any point in the process.

Bishop89

think I may have changed my mind and might b getting the wii u. Just a couple questions.

1. No account system correct, so if my wii u dies, I will have to contact nintendo to get all my games back?

2. Has there been any mention of an account system coming?

3. whats a Good hdd for it, wd elements 1tb or seagate expansion 1tb or another brand?

Thanks in advance

think I may have changed my mind and might b getting the wii u. Just a couple questions.

1. No account system correct, so if my wii u dies, I will have to contact nintendo to get all my games back?

2. Has there been any mention of an account system coming?

3. whats a Good hdd for it, wd elements 1tb or seagate expansion 1tb or another brand?

Thanks in advance
1. Yes. It might be easier if you are a registered Club Nintendo member. Write down the serial number of the system in a safe place (or register it with Nintendo).
2. Yes. It was promised before the 3DS launched. Nintendo is late to the party as usual. Now we have a half-assed hybrid between friend codes and a proper account system. It's easier to add new friends but purchases are not tied to your account. They will get it right in a generation or two.
3. Why do you need a HDD for it? Get the premium edition and that's all the disk space you will need for a long while. I got the system at launch and I never had to worry about running out of storage space.

Bishop89

1. Yes. It might be easier if you are a registered Club Nintendo member. Write down the serial number of the system in a safe place (or register it with Nintendo).
2. Yes. It was promised before the 3DS launched. Nintendo is late to the party as usual. Now we have a half-assed hybrid between friend codes and a proper account system. It's easier to add new friends but purchases are not tied to your account. They will get it right in a generation or two.
3. Why do you need a HDD for it? Get the premium edition and that's all the disk space you will need for a long while. I got the system at launch and I never had to worry about running out of storage space.
I want the premium one however only the basic edition is on sale ($ 179) whereas the premium ones are still $ 400 +. Only reason im contemplating a purchase atm

MattyG

Banned
Ah, this is the thread I should have posted my Gamepad question in, not the WiiU refurb one. Basically what I want to know is what to do about my gamepad. There is somehow a piece of dirt under the screen and it has deformed the plastic above it. It's quite annoying, so I figured out the 4 options I have

What do you guys think would be the best option for me?
1) Repair (I've heard that the repairs aren't always great)
2) Replace ($140, probably a refurbished pad)
3) Deal with it, wait it out, hope individual Gamepads eventually come to retail.
4) Fix it myself (I'm a bit nervous about screwing it up and having to go with option 2 no matter what).

I want the premium one however only the basic edition is on sale ($ 179) whereas the premium ones are still $ 400 +. Only reason im contemplating a purchase atm
Then you might need additional storage space. The basic unit only comes with 8 GB and IIRC a large part of that is needed for the operating system.

Waiting is also an option. Since launch I've gotten 6 retail games, 2 downloads, and 5 Virtual Console games. I wouldn't be surprised if it was possible to store those on a basic system.

Ah, this is the thread I should have posted my Gamepad question in, not the WiiU refurb one. Basically what I want to know is what to do about my gamepad. There is somehow a piece of dirt under the screen and it has deformed the plastic above it. It's quite annoying, so I figured out the 4 options I have

What do you guys think would be the best option for me?
1) Repair (I've heard that the repairs aren't always great)
2) Replace ($140, probably a refurbished pad)
3) Deal with it, wait it out, hope individual Gamepads eventually come to retail.
4) Fix it myself (I'm a bit nervous about screwing it up and having to go with option 2 no matter what).
Deal with it. I believe the pads are tied to your system and if you replace/repair it you have to send away the entire system. Transferring or re-downloading games is also a hassle.

If you still have warranty you can simply return the system to the store you purchased it from and let them deal with the headache.

MattyG

Banned
Deal with it. I believe the pads are tied to your system and if you replace/repair it you have to send away the entire system. Transferring or re-downloading games is also a hassle.

If you still have warranty you can simply return the system to the store you purchased it from and let them deal with the headache.
I bought it at launch, so the warranty is definitely expired. I still have the box, maybe I could trick Walmart into a reciept-less return. It's probably not worth the hassle though.

I guess I'll just deal with it and hope Zelda U comes out with a sweet bundle that I can replace this one with. God help me if there's a Zelda U custom console bundle AND a special edition though. RIP wallet.

as you ageing, do you feel you lost interest to play games ?
No, I've played games my entire life and yesterday I played three different games since I had some extra free time. I also bought five new ones.

There are periods when I play less but I still find it as fun as ever. I'm certain I will play games as long as I'm able to. The same goes for reading, watching movies, and listening to music.

Top Bottom