• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Gaogaogao

what other pc games besides shovel knight, Transistor and retro city rampage auto detect a dual shock 4 and switch onscreen button prompts accordingly?

If I have an American 3DS and a Japanese 3DS, can I use the same credit card on two different NNIDs?

AFAIK the US eShop restricts credit cards by region, which means you can only use US cards on the US eShop but could make a Canadian NNID, which lacks this restriction.
Don't know about the Japanese eShop or any restrictions it imposes.

I have a question, too:
If I visit a friend who owns a Wii U, and I create an account and use the same NNID as on my 3DS, could I then move my Wii U account (and only my) to a different Wii U?
Essentially, is there a system transfer for Wii Us available, similar to the 3DS one?

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children
This isn't exactly a gaming question, but does anyone know what the best pixel art program is?

Are there any downsides or potential problems with changing the date and time on your computer's clock? I kinda wanted to get some game achievements for playing on certain days out of the way, but was worried I'd screw up some background programs.

Are there any downsides or potential problems with changing the date and time on your computer's clock? I kinda wanted to get some game achievements for playing on certain days out of the way, but was worried I'd screw up some background programs.

No I do it all the time to post-date documents because um well I have my reasons

No I do it all the time to post-date documents because um well I have my reasons

Well I tried it. It worked well enough for the game, but suddenly gaf wanted me to sign in again, my browser warned me that they couldn't tell whether my email was secure...

I'd call those downsides and/or potential problems. They got fixed when I changed it back, but it would have been nice to know ahead of time.

Well I tried it. It worked well enough for the game, but suddenly gaf wanted me to sign in again, my browser warned me that they couldn't tell whether my email was secure...

I'd call those downsides and/or potential problems. They got fixed when I changed it back, but it would have been nice to know ahead of time.

Sorry I've never had email or forum problems due to changing my system clock. That's interesting

Pikma

Banned
Is there any place, like YT channel or something, where I can watch people play through retro games? I feel like watching some games I've never played, like expanding my horizons, but it just seems like Let's Plays are all too focused on modern games.

mclem

Is there any place, like YT channel or something, where I can watch people play through retro games? I feel like watching some games I've never played, like expanding my horizons, but it just seems like Let's Plays are all too focused on modern games.

Full playthroughs, or just a smattering to get the feel? I rather liked the few I've seen of Ancient Dos Games, but they're sort of Quick Look scale more than anything else. The length varies depending on how much there is to talk about, though; Daggerfall nearly gets half an hour, whereas a pure shmup may be lucky to get ten minutes.

There is of course the Let's Play Archive, too, which seems a good mix of old and comparatively new. Certainly I enjoyed reading through the Might and Magic Let's Play after I'd finished it myself.

Does Elder Scrolls Online have a trials period, like 24- or 48 hours trial of some sort???

Regardless of what the press and players say about the game i want to give this game a try, but I don't want to jump the gun by plotting down that $60 before I get a chance to play it for myself.

Do people still play this game??? How is the game so far since the new content updates and patches and stuff???

openrob

What is actually involved with porting a game over to a different console. People say that Xbox/PS are similar to develop for compared to Wii U - but what extra work is needed?
And what files can be transferred over from one game to a port?

"In software engineering, porting is the process of adapting software so that an executable program can be created for a computing environment that is different from the one for which it was originally designed (e.g. different CPU, operating system, or third party library)."

The PlayStation 4 and the Xbox One have similar components and they're about as powerful. The Wii U on the other hand is completely different.

Static files, like art and sound assets, can be kept as they are if there is enough raw power to process them.

All code for the game might has to be rewritten (by man or machine) since operations might be executed in a slightly different manner. You might also run into issues with basic programming concepts, like storing values or handling exceptions.

mclem

All code for the game might have to be rewritten (by man or machine) since operations might be executed in a slightly different manner. You might also run into issues with basic programming concepts, like storing values or handling exceptions.

As an example, Endianness is an interesting factor that you need to be wary of when porting.

KarmaCow

Why do some developers make autofire when holding the button down slower than mashing the button? Same with rolling being faster than running. It's aggravating.

As an example, Endianness is an interesting factor that you need to be wary of when porting.

Especially relevant when dealing with PC to console ports and vice versa, most of which are using CPUs with Large Endianness.

I've seen it dealt with first hand by modders who're trying to backport some DLC content packs not yet released for the PC in certain games from the X360.

Volotaire

Basic PS3 User and PSN account system questions.

Ok I just got a PS3 lent to me, and there are two users on the system, mine and the other persons. If I sign up to PSN, will it be tied to a user or tied to the cloud? Can I unlink the PSN account once I give the PS3 back to my friend and keep my purchases i.e. a system similar to Steam?

Thanks.

PSN accounts are tied to the cloud (i.e. Sony's servers). You can unlink/deactivate it from the PS3 once you are done using it.

Unlike Steam, you can have your PSN account active on multiple systems at once. I have mine linked to 1 PS4, 2 PS3, 1 PSP, and 1 Vita.

Does bandai namco gamestore (the website I mean) charge for pre orders immediately or wait unti the game is shipped? They use amazon shipping now, but I don't know for sure.

exYle

Do PS4 games not get patches automatically downloaded forever? I tried to play Battlefield 4 with a buddy after a long time of not touching it but I got hit with a 1700 MB patch. I looked through the patch history and I don't see anything about a single patch being 1700 megs, so these have to be backlogged. I figured I wouldn't have to wait because I enabled automatic downloads for update files, but some of my games haven't been patched since April, which can't be right.
I haven't uninstalled any games, by the way.

Doczu

Quick question. I'm thinking about buying component cable for my Wii. Worth it? I've tried googling to see differences, but all threads are old, no pictures and stuff like that. I haven't tried to play on a HDTV yet.

Peagles

Quick question. I'm thinking about buying component cable for my Wii. Worth it? I've tried googling to see differences, but all threads are old, no pictures and stuff like that. I haven't tried to play on a HDTV yet.

SD stuff never looks fantastic on an HDTV, but component is a damn sight better than composite (which is what I assume you're using at the moment). So yeh, it's worth it, but don't expect a miracle!

Peltz

Why are videogames such a natural aphrodisiac? My girl just wants to jump my bones every time I try to get her to play.

As nice as it sounds, sometimes I really wish we could have a nice game session some day. Just once.

BigDes

PSN accounts are tied to the cloud (i.e. Sony's servers). You can unlink/deactivate it from the PS3 once you are done using it.

Unlike Steam, you can have your PSN account active on multiple systems at once. I have mine linked to 1 PS4, 2 PS3, 1 PSP, and 1 Vita.
Steam lets you log in to more than one system at a time now

Doczu

Why are videogames such a natural aphrodisiac? My girl just wants to jump my bones every time I try to get her to play.

As nice as it sounds, sometimes I really wish we could have a nice game session some day. Just once.

It's not a aphrodisiac. She just doesn't wan't you to play. Mine does it everytime. No game for me :(

SD stuff never looks fantastic on an HDTV, but component is a damn sight better than composite (which is what I assume you're using at the moment). So yeh, it's worth it, but don't expect a miracle!

Haven't played on a hdtv yet. And no miraclesd, just the best it can ;)

coopolon

Is there anyway to skip the submerged castle in pikmin 2? I really hate caves, but I do want to try to finish the game, but I'm not doing submerged castle anymore. So if there's no way to skip it I guess I'll move on to pikmin 3.

Kade

I had Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the 3DS a while ago and spent quite some time on it. I lost the cartridge somehow but remembering that it stored some data on the SD card, I went ahead and bought the Wii U version today thinking that I could use the transfer program to move my data over to the Wii U. Unfortunately, the transfer program and Wii U did not recognize my data so I borrowed a copy of the 3DS game to see if that changes anything and now that game is asking to overwrite data on the SD card on top of guild cards and other stuff. My question is which data is tied to my progress in my initial save: the cartridge (which is now lost) or the SD card (the warning text makes it seem like there's more than just guild cards on there)?

I'm okay with starting a new game but it would be nice to save 50+ hours. I don't want to overwrite the SD card data if I don't have to.

BouncyFrag

The ps3 God of War collection has some modern looking CGI cutscenes littered throughout the older games. Were these originally in those games but of a lesser quality or were they a new addition made for the HD collection?

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
I've heard that Sony now allows sub accounts to have PS+ now, as I tried my 30-day trial back in 2012 on my sub (which is my main that I used since 2008-ish) and it said I couldn't do it, but now I've heard they reversed it. Anyone able to confirm this? Would like to get PS+ content on my Vita after all this time.

The ps3 God of War collection has some modern looking CGI cutscenes littered throughout the older games. Were these originally in those games but of a lesser quality or were they a new addition made for the HD collection?

They were in the original, they just look way better than the rest of the stuff.

kubus

GAF, are PS2 memory cards region free and can they hold both a US and a EU save file at the same time?

Full story in case it matters: I still need to beat .hack//Part 4 and I found a memory card that belongs to my American-imported PS2. My .hack games are European and were played on a EU PS2. Is it possible I used that same memory card to store my European save files of the .hack games and then used it also for NTSC games when I got my American PS2?

Would that have corrupted any of EU saves? D:

I don't have the equipment right now to check the contents of the memory card. Having a slight panic attack here because I would flip my shit if I lost my .hack saves (you import your save file for each .hack installment and I just got to the last part).

edit: Found my power converter and managed to hook up the NTSC PS2. My saves are all there! :D So happy!

kubus

Yes and yes. Your saves are fine. I think the Gamecube is the only console that ever had problems with different region saves.
Haha I *just* edited my post when you posted! I managed to hook up the PS2 and you're right, they're fine :D. Thanks for answering!

This is ridiculous, so please try to help a man with a fuzzy memory.

There's a secret (that i even found fo myself back in the day) in the Wind Waker. It is located in Outset island and it involves Tetra and the Moblins. But no matter how hard i try, just can't remember.

Hopefuly someone with a fresh memory could shine some light around here.

Hey GAF, why does my PS4 only get 17.1 mbps and 4.1 mbps (up/down) but my PC gets 57 and 11?

Is there anything I can do or is the PS4 limited? I ask because I was streaming some games on twitch and the resolution was terrible even though I chose Best HD. Please help.

Is there any way for two Origin accounts to be merged into one? I have an account I recently recovered access from that was created back in 2011 and I have another account that I created last year, so I wanna know if there's any way to just merge the two accounts or something?

Hey GAF, why does my PS4 only get 17.1 mbps and 4.1 mbps (up/down) but my PC gets 57 and 11?

Is there anything I can do or is the PS4 limited? I ask because I was streaming some games on twitch and the resolution was terrible even though I chose Best HD. Please help.

Have you tried a wired connection over a wireless one?

Have you tried a wired connection over a wireless one?

I am wired. I did a speed test on speedof.me from the playstation browser and it had different up/down numbers. It was around 26 and 11. Which is definitely better.

But my main concern is streaming. I streamed some PS4 gameplay yesterday and at one point the quality was garbage. Why would this happen? Was my computer hogging up speed?

Gaf please halp.

I feel so dumb right now, but I for the life of me can't figure out how to plug in the power cable into the super slim ps4. It doesn't seem to fit...

C.Dark.DN

Banned
Gaf please halp.

I feel so dumb right now, but I for the life of me can't figure out how to plug in the power cable into the super slim ps4. It doesn't seem to fit...
Well, the problem probably is that you and the supler slim ps4 are from the future and you are trying to use a fat power cable from the present.

Top Bottom