• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

frontovik

Banned
Excellent, thank you for the information Tenebrous! I'll dedicate some time this evening into DOTA 2 then :)

Out of curiosity, what are your thoughts on Heroes of Newerth? I understand it was one of the first DOTA clones.

No, not at all. They share a universe, but that's about it. I don't recall any references to the 2D games. Easter eggs, maybe, but nothing overt.
The stories are completely separate, but share a theme of invading industrial entities destroying nature and subjugating the natives. Stranger's Wrath is the only one where you actually see the society those might serve, though there remains a sense that the actual benefactors of all of this are very far away on another continent or even planet, given how many sentient species populate the Oddworld universe. It's also the only one that's referencing a place in time in the real world, namely the frontier days in North America, particularly the US' expansion west.

I don't know why I'm rambling on about this. Just play the game, you'll be fine (until the very last level, which might make you want to throw your controller).

Thanks a lot. I do have the two Abe games, but I've never gotten round to beat them. Exoddus is amazing though.

I'll make sure I take deep breaths before the last level, too.

webkatt

I'm interested in buying digitally Toy Soldiers: War Chest for PS4. The game is $14.99 (No Tax)

Can I buy a $10 PSN card and pay the remaining $4.99 on a credit card or does it have to be a particular amount?

Who

Banned
What's the name of that Prototype-inspired indie game that had a thread here a couple days ago? Takes place in a vast green field.

AdanVC

I always found funny that when PlayStation's twitter account post something, practically all replies are positive things and excitement, but when Nintendo's twitter account post something, all replies are complaints, bad memes and sarcastic comments...

Has anyone else noticed input lag when using a third party wired controller with the PS3? I've tried at least 3 different third party wired controllers, all from different manufacturers, and they all had a slight input delay compared to the Dualshock. Not much, but enough to be bothersome in timing based games like baseball.

I wanted to get one with a good d-pad that doesn't have a gap in the middle like the dualshocks have. Does anyone know of any controllers like this without input lag?

RedSwirl

There's this indie game someone's making but I can't remember the name of it. It's a horror adventure game with fixed camera angles (like old school resident evil) but the graphics are real time. You play as multiple characters and based on choices you make they can die permanently. The only footage I've seen takes place in some kind of darn mansion environment.

RoadDogg

Corpekata

Banned
There's this indie game someone's making but I can't remember the name of it. It's a horror adventure game with fixed camera angles (like old school resident evil) but the graphics are real time. You play as multiple characters and based on choices you make they can die permanently. The only footage I've seen takes place in some kind of darn mansion environment.

Might be Song of Horror

cacildo

Is it possible for the WiiU to run a n64 emulator that up-res games like dolphin does with wii games?

I mean, would it be possible, if the wiiu had a honebrew channel and homebrew emulators and stuff?

(Im asking because ive played the last Wii n64 emulator and was impressed by the fact that games are actually playable now)

mclem

In September I'm going to be visiting my parents at the same time my sister is doing so, and she'll be bringing her children; my nieces. I've been pondering what gaming things they might like, and one thing struck me that I'd not considered in years: DDR.

I still have Jungle Book Groove and Dancing Stage: Disney Mix knocking around, which is certainly content suitable for them, but what I don't have... is a mat.

The problem's twofold: One, I'm not sure what size of mat would suit them (they are, IIRC, 8 and 5), but I suspect a full-size adult mat would be a little too big to reach the stomping spots. The other issue is one of connectivity; most likely I'd be using the PS1 titles on the PS3 that's at my parents, and I'm not sure what dance mats are on the market that would happily connect to one but still work okay with the PS1 games.

Anyone got any knowledge on the subject they could share?

How do older games run on modern pc/laptops? I don't game at all on computers, but I want to play the original typing of the dead. I just don't want to buy it and realize it won't run. My laptop has windows 8.

How do older games run on modern pc/laptops? I don't game at all on computers, but I want to play the original typing of the dead. I just don't want to buy it and realize it won't run. My laptop has windows 8.
Most older games run fine, but some won't run at all (particularly 16-bit games). In general I recommend you to buy older games from GOG since they are preconfigured to run on modern computers. You might still run into occassional issues, but overall they are way more reliable than e.g. Steam. Unfortunately, they do not sell Typing of the Dead.

Some of the ones that aren't on GOG require fan patches/DLLs to work properly.

So with the Xbox One streaming to Windows 10, does the data transfer use up my ISP data allowance, or is it just a normal service without my ISP being involved? The feature is fantastic but I can't see me using it much if I'm using up my limited data tarrif from my ISP.

Rufus

So with the Xbox One streaming to Windows 10, does the data transfer use up my ISP data allowance, or is it just a normal service without my ISP being involved? The feature is fantastic but I can't see me using it much if I'm using up my limited data tarrif from my ISP.
It's using your home network. The bare essentials being a router that both devices are connected to.

It's using your home network. The bare essentials being a router that both devices are connected to.

Thanks for your answer. But I'm a doofus when it comes to routers. I guess what I could do is just unplug the broadband wire from the router and see if it still streams.

If your ISP is Rogers in Canada they do (or at least have) count[ed] LAN bandwidth towards your quota which is fucking insane in which case unplugging the DSL cable wouldn't help as it was the router itself logging the data.

I imagine most other ISPs are sane though.

Rufus

If your ISP is Rogers in Canada they do (or at least have) count[ed] LAN bandwidth towards your quota which is fucking insane in which case unplugging the DSL cable wouldn't help as it was the router itself logging the data.
That is absolute madness. WTF.

Tenebrous

This really is a stupid question.

Is there any reason why not, with some really deep level hacking/modifying, that the Xbox One & PC can be turned into fully operable PCs in the future? Completely overwrite the current OS, and just have an inexpensive machine running Linux/Windows 10 with HDMI out and a bluray drive for movies?

This really is a stupid question.

Is there any reason why not, with some really deep level hacking/modifying, that the Xbox One & PC can be turned into fully operable PCs in the future? Completely overwrite the current OS, and just have an inexpensive machine running Linux/Windows 10 with HDMI out and a bluray drive for movies?

Not got a technical response to this (my guess is, it's probably potentially possible, in years to come) but I will answer your question with a question.

Why bother?

It seems from the things that i've read that you could buy an equally (if not more) powerful PC for the same price or less, so using a console in that way is more of a "because I can" situation. It's nice for enthusiasts, but it fails to be effective in basically any other way as far as I can see.

uberluigi

Banned
I'm trying to use custom backgrounds on Xbox One dashboard through dlna on my Laptop (Windows 10) I added the device but it won't show my Laptop in the media player app, anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? I'm an idiot when it comes to computers.

Asked in shaggs Metal Gear Solid V Cover Thread but asking here as well:

If I wanted to print my own covers (mainly because I threw the Bloodborne case across the room in anger at Father G and ripped the cover) what's the best type of paper to print on? Bearing in mind I'm in the UK in case its name differs.

If anyone can link me some that'd be great.

Asked in shaggs Metal Gear Solid V Cover Thread but asking here as well:

If I wanted to print my own covers (mainly because I threw the Bloodborne case across the room in anger at Father G and ripped the cover) what's the best type of paper to print on? Bearing in mind I'm in the UK in case its name differs.

If anyone can link me some that'd be great.

You might find the answers you're looking for in the OP of this thread

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442713

Or I'm sure if you post your question in that thread, I'm sure someone can help you out

jesu

I'm trying to use custom backgrounds on Xbox One dashboard through dlna on my Laptop (Windows 10) I added the device but it won't show my Laptop in the media player app, anyone know what I'm doing wrong here? I'm an idiot when it comes to computers.

I'm not great with PC's either but look at homegroup in control panel and make sure your X1 is in the sharing settings there maybe.

Tenebrous

Not got a technical response to this (my guess is, it's probably potentially possible, in years to come) but I will answer your question with a question.

Why bother?

It seems from the things that i've read that you could buy an equally (if not more) powerful PC for the same price or less, so using a console in that way is more of a "because I can" situation. It's nice for enthusiasts, but it fails to be effective in basically any other way as far as I can see.

Wouldn't be that much money difference in it either way. It would be a pretty cool little toy.

Firebrand

Is there any major reason not to get a Basic Wii U over a Premium? The Basic one is a lot cheaper and I don't really care about the stand (unless it's useful for some particular game).

Tenebrous

Is there any major reason not to get a Basic Wii U over a Premium? The Basic one is a lot cheaper and I don't really care about the stand (unless it's useful for some particular game).

None at all. There was a promotion for Wii U premium buyers (something like digital game purchases and getting a percentage of the money back or), but that ended last year. The only differences now are the HDD capacity (and you want to be using an external harddrive if buying digital games anyway) and the colour.

Puweyxil

Banned
Is it frowned upon here to ask someone with thread posting privileges to start a new thread? I'm brand new and would love to see a "What was your first FPS?" thread. I don't care about starting it, I just want it to exist.

If this isn't done here, I understand and won't ask again.

Volotaire

Is it frowned upon here to ask someone with thread posting privileges to start a new thread? I'm brand new and would love to see a "What was your first FPS?" thread. I don't care about starting it, I just want it to exist.

If this isn't done here, I understand and won't ask again.

Not really. It's usually done if a junior member has found breaking or important news and cannot post. I can't see why someone could not create one with your subject.

thenameDS

So I just got myself a Vita and was wondering if anybody knows what the difference between the Vita PCH-2003 and PCH-2016 model is/if any?

Tenebrous

Is there going to be an OT for the Mega Man Legacy Collection? Is so damn excited for that game I wish I could just sleep for the next 42 hours straight.

Richie

To anyone in NA who downloaded OoT on the Wii U VC; did they improve the framerate, even slightly? I've heard conflicting notions on this. Digital Trends says "The Wii U version of Ocarina of Time improves on the previously released Wii Virtual Console version of Ocarina of Time with sharper visuals, an improved framerate, and a reconfigurable control scheme". Now, the visuals I know are darker than ever before, and the reconfigurable control scheme is true of every N64 VC release, but that part on the improved framerate, is it true? Would make me buy the game on the spot. Thanks a lot in advance!

Top Bottom