• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Jaffaboy

This isn't entirely a gaming question, but it is related as it's about the 3DS. Bit of a rant too, sorry.

So I live in Japan and recently took a trip to Korea. I'm an idiot and left my 3DS on a bus. Fortunately my Korean friend called the bus company and they found it and posted it back to her address. Unfortunately by the time it arrived I was already back in Japan. No biggie, she'll just mail it over when she gets the chance. Or not.

She went to the post office who won't send it because it contains a lithium battery. She then tried DHL who needed more information about the battery before they can do anything. I've been googling but I can't seem to find any real information on posting devices to Japan, only out of Japan.

I understand that restrictions are needed, but this seems a little silly. I obviously flew with the thing to Korea no problem, and to Japan from England originally, but somehow it's different by post/courier.

I know this might be a long shot, but does anyone know anything about this, or why these restrictions exist? Also, can anyone tell me any info about the battery in the original 3DS like the wattage and voltage and stuff? Can't seem to find that info, only the size of it and the battery life.

PtM

Banned
This isn't entirely a gaming question, but it is related as it's about the 3DS. Bit of a rant too, sorry.

So I live in Japan and recently took a trip to Korea. I'm an idiot and left my 3DS on a bus. Fortunately my Korean friend called the bus company and they found it and posted it back to her address. Unfortunately by the time it arrived I was already back in Japan. No biggie, she'll just mail it over when she gets the chance. Or not.

She went to the post office who won't send it because it contains a lithium battery. She then tried DHL who needed more information about the battery before they can do anything. I've been googling but I can't seem to find any real information on posting devices to Japan, only out of Japan.

I understand that restrictions are needed, but this seems a little silly. I obviously flew with the thing to Korea no problem, and to Japan from England originally, but somehow it's different by post/courier.

I know this might be a long shot, but does anyone know anything about this, or why these restrictions exist? Also, can anyone tell me any info about the battery in the original 3DS like the wattage and voltage and stuff? Can't seem to find that info, only the size of it and the battery life.
3.6V, 1300mAh, iirc. Should be LI-ION. 5Wh.
http://www.batteriesinaflash.com/images/gaming/CTR-003.jpg

mclem

I've updated my amp. Gone from one I've had for years based around optical SPDIF connections to one - a Pioneer VSX-524-K - that uses HDMI.

Trouble is, of the range of things that I'm putting into it, not many are working straight away.

Set-top DVR appears to be absolutely fine. Full audio, full video.

Xbox One, I've seen no video at all. Haven't heard audio either, but thinking about it, I may not have explicitly tested that.

PS3 gave me no video either - but when I forced it into the 'safe mode' for video (defaulting to 576p), it worked. However, I can't seem to re-set the higher resolutions. Occasionally, when performing a test, I get high-resolution 'snow' onscreen, but that's the best I've got out of it.

Laptop works fine for audio (a little stuttery for full 5.1, but adequate). Video is variable. I've occasionally got an image up but haven't been able to interact with it much. Again, pushing a lower resolution appears to help, but I'm not sure that's concrete.

My best guess - and I stress it's just a guess - is that this is all something relating to HDCP handshaking. Certainly on the ones that do work I occasionally see a frame of pink when reconnecting.

At the moment that was late last night, so I had to give up on further experimentation to go to sleep. There's a Wii U, Xbox 360 and PS4 that are untested here, too. It should go without saying but of those I've tested, all are fine when hooked directly up to the TV, only going unreliable when being fed through the amp and switched to that feed.

Anyone know enough about amps to give me somewhere to get started on figuring this out?

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
I've updated my amp. Gone from one I've had for years based around optical SPDIF connections to one - a Pioneer VSX-524-K - that uses HDMI.

Trouble is, of the range of things that I'm putting into it, not many are working straight away.

Set-top DVR appears to be absolutely fine. Full audio, full video.

Xbox One, I've seen no video at all. Haven't heard audio either, but thinking about it, I may not have explicitly tested that.

PS3 gave me no video either - but when I forced it into the 'safe mode' for video (defaulting to 576p), it worked. However, I can't seem to re-set the higher resolutions. Occasionally, when performing a test, I get high-resolution 'snow' onscreen, but that's the best I've got out of it.

Laptop works fine for audio (a little stuttery for full 5.1, but adequate). Video is variable. I've occasionally got an image up but haven't been able to interact with it much. Again, pushing a lower resolution appears to help, but I'm not sure that's concrete.

My best guess - and I stress it's just a guess - is that this is all something relating to HDCP handshaking. Certainly on the ones that do work I occasionally see a frame of pink when reconnecting.

At the moment that was late last night, so I had to give up on further experimentation to go to sleep. There's a Wii U, Xbox 360 and PS4 that are untested here, too. It should go without saying but of those I've tested, all are fine when hooked directly up to the TV, only going unreliable when being fed through the amp and switched to that feed.

Anyone know enough about amps to give me somewhere to get started on figuring this out?

are the basics ok? i made you a picture so we can sort the most basic stuff out

ed4b.png

mclem

are the basics ok? i made you a picture so we can sort the most basic stuff out

ed4b.png

Yep, that's pretty much how everything's hooked up. I don't actually have ARC on currently - I have stereo cables going from the TV into the AMP - but that's because I hadn't found out about it when I was first refitting all the cables! That may, perhaps, be something worth prodding. I haven't confirmed if my TV does have ARC, but I get the impression it's fairly well-established.

PC's hooked through the front socket ("HDMI" on the source list). PS3 is "BD", Xbox One is "GAME", DVR is "SAT/CBL". There's also a DVD socket which is unused and an MHL socket.

There's also an ethernet socket which I believe is largely for internet radio, I've seen no mention of any firmware updating.

I've done the basic speaker self-test; when driven solely by the amp, that's working fine. It's possible the audio is working fine throughout, the video was the more pressing issue. The amp can drive the OSD just fine.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Yep, that's pretty much how everything's hooked up. I don't actually have ARC on currently - I have stereo cables going from the TV into the AMP - but that's because I hadn't found out about it when I was first refitting all the cables! That may, perhaps, be something worth prodding. I haven't confirmed if my TV does have ARC, but I get the impression it's fairly well-established.

PC's hooked through the front socket ("HDMI" on the source list). PS3 is "BD", Xbox One is "GAME", DVR is "SAT/CBL". There's also a DVD socket which is unused and an MHL socket.

There's also an ethernet socket which I believe is largely for internet radio, I've seen no mention of any firmware updating.

I've done the basic speaker self-test; when driven solely by the amp, that's working fine. It's possible the audio is working fine throughout, the video was the more pressing issue. The amp can drive the OSD just fine.

if you connected your amp and all your stuff like i said. that audio cable has NO use from your tv.

Also having an analogue AUDIO OUT (red white) is extremely rare with modern tv's
red and white is almost ALWAYS INPUT.

ill put my money in that you forget something extremely simple like a setting

anyway. the fault is in your amp.
you are missing something i suggest you calling someone from pioneer.

What PS4 games make best use of the touch pad? I love how it's used in GTAV. Why don't more games do this? Or maybe they do and I don't know? Any suggestions?

cruisx

Neo Member
Hey guys, wondering if you guys can answer this for me. Does anyone know what material the PS4 HDD cover plate is made out of?

Is it plastic? If so is it a specific kind?

ShpNN1Je64kC1LWr.medium

mclem

if you connected your amp and all your stuff like i said. that audio cable has NO use from your tv.

Also having an analogue AUDIO OUT (red white) is extremely rare with modern tv's
red and white is almost ALWAYS INPUT.

I think your problem there is 'modern TVs'. This one's from '08 or so; a Samsung LE40A656. The HDMI ports are V1.3 - ARC is a V1.4 thing. And it absolutely does have audio out sockets.

ill put my money in that you forget something extremely simple like a setting

Entirely possible. The problem is figuring out what!

mclem

Okay, a bit more poking has turned up something interesting: swapping the HDMI cable from the DVR to the laptop... works. It looks like it's something about that HDMI cable that makes it work where others don't.

The obvious followup query, therefore, is: what? What's the key trait? If anything, I thought the cable in question was the most basic, which is really throwing me, and I expected the default xbox cable to be fine in any context.

Edit: Any context except the one where it had simply fallen out while shifting everything else around. Xbox okay, set-top box okay, just need to figure our the key trait of those cables.

mclem

Just to finally cap my previous question, just in case anyone stumbles on it when searching for a similar problem: It was indeed all down to the cables. Once I'd bought some Category 2 ("High speed") HDMI cables, they worked perfectly.

Hello!

I don't like most JRPGs at all, but I find the PSVITA system very elegant, and I'm thinking in buying one.
So, besides JRPGs and bizarre japanese games, what else is there on this system?

Can I emulate other consoles?

Tenebrous

Hello!

I don't like most JRPGs at all, but I find the PSVITA system very elegant, and I'm thinking in buying one.
So, besides JRPGs and bizarre japanese games, what else is there on this system?

Everybody's Golf is awesome.

It has a plethora of PS1 classics and quite a few PSP games available for purchase on the PSN store.

Hello!

There's a large number of quality indie titles on it as well

• Minecraft
  • Spelunky
  • Rogue Legacy
  • olliolli & olliolli 2
  • Limbo
  • Resogun (2nd party game but indie dev)
  • Shovel Knight
  • Axiom Verge
  • Guacamelee!
  • Nidhogg
  • Hotline Miami
  • Geometry Wars
  • Superstar Dust
  • Terraria
  • luftrausers

Tenebrous

Is it unrealistic to want Obsidian to just make CRPGs from now on?

There's a large number of quality indie titles on it as well

*Snip*

Yeah, the Vita's soul purpose other than JRPGs is to play 4 year old games that are better played on other platforms - On the go!

While having to lump around a case because it's not a clamshell design, and a trigger grip if, like me, you have big hands.

Yeah, the Vita's soul purpose other than JRPGs is to play 4 year old games that are better played on other platforms - On the go!

While having to lump around a case because it's not a clamshell design, and a trigger grip if, like me, you have big hands.

Hmm I've always found certain games fantastic to play on the Vita versus other platforms

I mean with the PC you can have any control input I suppose but I loved playing Guacamelee, Rogue Legacy, Shovel knight etc. on it even though I own the games on PC and PS4 as well

shaowebb

So does Gamestop track their used sales per title? If so it'd be interesting to see how many people have actually purchased certain games outside of the new sales numbers. Also, if they did this I'd like to see how often certain titles are traded in. Knowing this might let folks know a thing or two about their target price points for their audiences.

Is there a way to fully install a game off disc on Ps4? I understand the partial install to quickly get in, but I'm having issues playing tlou from a mid point. Is there a way to know when it is fully installed?

Thanks!!

wolfmat

Confirmed Asshole
So does Gamestop track their used sales per title? If so it'd be interesting to see how many people have actually purchased certain games outside of the new sales numbers. Also, if they did this I'd like to see how often certain titles are traded in. Knowing this might let folks know a thing or two about their target price points for their audiences.

I don't know for sure, but it's extremely likely. However, they probably would never open that data up for outsiders, but just use it as a data reference in statistical / economical analysis in their microverse of the market.

Solaire of Astora

Death by black JPN
Quick question. I preordered mgs5 on psn, but I've managed to borrow a physical copy from a friend who is too busy to play it right now.

I plan on playing the physical copy as soon as I get home. I assume that when the timer unlocks on my digital preorder, I'll be able to remove the disc and play without any problems?

bobawesome

I asked this in the MGS HD Collection OT but I didn't notice how little activity it had until now.

My question is for Snake Eater: If I miss a Kerotan, is my Kerotan run shot or can I still go about shooting any I find and will the game save this progress for my next playthrough?

PtM

Banned
I asked this in the MGS HD Collection OT but I didn't notice how little activity it had until now.

My question is for Snake Eater: If I miss a Kerotan, is my Kerotan run shot or can I still go about shooting any I find and will the game save this progress for my next playthrough?
Will save.

Costia

Does super mario maker come with a set of pre-made levels? How many?
Basically, if i am only interested in playing mario and not creating levels, is there enough content in the game to play?

Volotaire

Does super mario maker come with a set of pre-made levels? How many?
Basically, if i am only interested in playing mario and not creating levels, is there enough content in the game to play?

There are 60 pre-made levels on the disc. However, I would not equate the size of each level to a normal Super Mario Bros. game. Some are very short, while others have 'gimmicks'.

Given there is an internet community creating levels, you will have almost limitless options. There is a mode called 100 Mario challenge in which levels are randomly picked from the user generated levels and you must complete them with 100 lives.

PtM

Banned
I don't get it.
What is rogue-like? What game is rogue-like? What gaming qualities make that game rogue-like?
I think it's like a Zelda dungeon with randomized structure, rooms, enemies, everything?

Roguelike is a subgenre of role-playing video games, characterized by procedural generation of game levels, turn-based gameplay, tile-based graphics, permanent death of the player-character, and typically based on a high fantasy narrative setting.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roguelike

Does anyone know what the best trailer for Red Dead Redemption would be to bring into a film class discussing The Western? Like a trailer more interested with themes and imagery than just violence. Any great fan trailers out there?

Ixion090

I want to play a fighting game. So I have available to play Super Street Fighter Arcade Edition, Skullgirls 2nd Encore, The King of Fighters XIII, all for PS3. Which one should I play?

PtM

Banned
I want to play a fighting game. So I have available to play Super Street Fighter Arcade Edition, Skullgirls 2nd Encore, The King of Fighters XIII, all for PS3. Which one should I play?
SSFAE rides on nostalgia, so choose another one. KoF is very Anime, fwiw.

Corpekata

Banned
Roguelike at this point tends to mean a few of those qualities, it's been diluted, like most genre terms.

Permadeath and procedural generation seem to be the most popular elements.

Some people have taken to using the term rogue-lite in place.

Yeah I read that yet none of the games people keep saying are rogue-like are like rogue-like...like.

Most of them are roguelites. They have big chunks of roguelike games, but not all, and add some degree of persistence to the gameplay. Spelunky is a roguelite, Rogue Legacy is a roguelite, and so on.

tariniel

If I liked Halo 2 multi-player and Borderlands 2, would I like Destiny? Based on what I've seen it seems like a mashup of those two games. I'm very tempted to buy the special edition PS4 coming out next week for Destiny.

How do I do a giveaway such that I minimize the chance of people who don't care about the game, or can easily afford the game for themselves, do not end up winning? I've been considering doing a giveaway but the chance of someone that doesn't really want it, or who can afford it easily/wants to pocket it for trading, kind of puts me off.

Big Nikus

I don't have an Xbox One yet but I wonder, can you see the achievements people have unlocked on 360 ?
Because if you're playing on 360 you can't see the achievements of your friends playing on Xbox One, so, is it the same the other way around ?

Roguelike at this point tends to mean a few of those qualities, it's been diluted, like most genre terms.

Permadeath and procedural generation seem to be the most popular elements.

Some people have taken to using the term rogue-lite in place.

Most of them are roguelites. They have big chunks of roguelike games, but not all, and add some degree of persistence to the gameplay. Spelunky is a roguelite, Rogue Legacy is a roguelite, and so on.
Cool cool thanks :)

I don't have an Xbox One yet but I wonder, can you see the achievements people have unlocked on 360 ?
Because if you're playing on 360 you can't see the achievements of your friends playing on Xbox One, so, is it the same the other way around ?

You can view 360 achievements on Xbox One.

Top Bottom