• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This thread is for stupid GAMING questions that don't deserve their own thread

Thinking of getting a Pro in the next few months, but i'm wondering how easy it is to transfer accounts over to it. I've got my main UK acount, but also a US, Hong Kong and Japanese accounts that i don't wanna lose.

How easy is it to transfer them all across?

Actually, just on this subject again. If i do a full system transfer to the Pro will I have to sign in to the individual accounts or just my main one? Thing is i don't know my sign in information for my JPN and HK accounts, they were just random emails i made and i don't have them anymore.

I won't need them for a full system transfer will I?

Sane_Man

This question is probably just for UK Gafers.

Back when GAME was called Electronics Boutique I swear to god the sign on the front of the shop had like a big 3D head coming out of it. My friend thinks I'm crazy but I vividly remember it. Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe it was even before it became Electronics Boutique. Can anyone shed any light? The specific shop I remember was in the Frenchgate in Doncaster.

Edit - just worked out that it was back when EB was Future Zone! Definitely had the head sticking out of it so I'm not crazy at least.

Carnby

Can anyone explain the cause in the difference between these two versions of Doom BFG? Is one a reprint or from a different region, or Canadian?

byBG5Avl.jpg

nMmDyhQl.jpg

Tc7J8Mal.jpg

Taffer

This question is probably just for UK Gafers.

Back when GAME was called Electronics Boutique I swear to god the sign on the front of the shop had like a big 3D head coming out of it. My friend thinks I'm crazy but I vividly remember it. Now I'm starting to wonder if maybe it was even before it became Electronics Boutique. Can anyone shed any light? The specific shop I remember was in the Frenchgate in Doncaster.

Edit - just worked out that it was back when EB was Future Zone! Definitely had the head sticking out of it so I'm not crazy at least.

There was an EB in Birmingham city centre that definitely had the head sticking out of the sign. I don't remember Future Zone at all but I can vouch for the head!

gblues

Banned
Can anyone explain the cause in the difference between these two versions of Doom BFG? Is one a reprint or from a different region, or Canadian?

byBG5Avl.jpg

nMmDyhQl.jpg

Tc7J8Mal.jpg

One appears to be all regions (see "ALL" logo on back) and the other is specifically for Region 1 (see icon on the spine). My best guess is that the poster was a US/Canada only thing.

Carnby

One appears to be all regions (see "ALL" logo on back) and the other is specifically for Region 1 (see icon on the spine). My best guess is that the poster was a US/Canada only thing.

Good eye. I didn't notice the "all" logo. Thanks!

I worked with a guy who passed away so I can't ask him, but like 6-8 years ago we were talking about video games. At the time I thought he was talking about Saints Row 1, he said "that game was pretty good until they went down into the sewers and it turned into Big Trouble in Little China. There's like a dragon and shit down there you have to fight." At the time I had not played the game and I thought to myself, "wait, you DIDN'T like the game because of that? That sounds like the best part!"

I have now played all Saints Row games and this part did not happen in any of them, particularly 1 or 2 which is when I was expecting it to show up. Does anyone know what game he was actually referring to?

Joe

Can I use an Xbox Play Anywhere code to download and play a game on Xbox One without having a Windows 10 pc?

Cdkeys has Halo Wars 2 Play Anywhere codes for $40 but I don't have a Windows 10 pc, I just want the Xbox One version anyway.

NateDog

What's the cut-off date for PS+ games? I'm in Ireland and want to grab a month of PS+ to get LBP3 but am not sure if I have enough time left before the games change.

Jucksalbe

Banned
What's the cut-off date for PS+ games? In in Ireland and want to grab a month of PS+ to get LBP3 but am not sure if I have enough time left.

New PS+ games always go up on the first Tuesday of the month (so March 7th this time). Not sure if the old games get removed on the same day or the day before.

Savantcore

Unconfirmed Member
What's the cut-off date for PS+ games? I'm in Ireland and want to grab a month of PS+ to get LBP3 but am not sure if I have enough time left before the games change.

PS+ games switch over on the first Tuesday of the month, so LBP will be free to download until the morning of the 7th.

keraj37

How Skyrim ends? I encountered bug few years ago at the end of game, when you meet with this "dragon" grey beardish-whatever, and game just didn't trigger anything and I didn't know what to do so I stopped playing.

So I still don't know what is in the final.

Katori

In XCOM2, I just started a new game and there are two boxes for "Optional Narrative Content" (DLC). One was checked and one wasn't. For various reasons I want both missions enabled. But the "check boxes" have X's in them. Does an "X" mean enabled or disabled in this case? Is there a way (through file editing maybe?) to enable these in an in-progress game? WHY would you make this box an X instead of a check?

evilsin

Any way to dicover why certain game is not available on PSN? Particularly Ys Origin is not available in Russian PSN, and it's been almost a week since the release. The EU PS Blog didn't mention in the blog post that it won't be available here though.

Theman2k

Stupid question:

Is this a good time to start playing FFXV?
I mean, i got the game today (which i am really excited to play) but things like: first time experience and performance really are important to me.

I understood that an entire chapter (13) will be patched (don't know why or to what but it will totally change it) and the new patch totally destroyed lite mode.

Should I wait? if so, how long?

T_V_H

I worked with a guy who passed away so I can't ask him, but like 6-8 years ago we were talking about video games. At the time I thought he was talking about Saints Row 1, he said "that game was pretty good until they went down into the sewers and it turned into Big Trouble in Little China. There's like a dragon and shit down there you have to fight." At the time I had not played the game and I thought to myself, "wait, you DIDN'T like the game because of that? That sounds like the best part!"

I have now played all Saints Row games and this part did not happen in any of them, particularly 1 or 2 which is when I was expecting it to show up. Does anyone know what game he was actually referring to?

True crime: Streets of LA.

I think it had a dragon in it.

Guys, question: If a graphics card has 2GB of GDDR5 RAM and another copy of the same card has 4GB, will the latter improve framerate?

Basically, what benefits does graphics RAM offer besides the ability to play at a higher resolution?

Guys, question: If a graphics card has 2GB of GDDR5 RAM and another copy of the same card has 4GB, will the latter improve framerate?

Basically, what benefits does graphics RAM offer besides the ability to play at a higher resolution?

More VRAM won't improve framerate on the same chipset, but it will help prevent stuttering that occurs if the game uses more than a certain amount of VRAM (and many modern games will push past 2 GB of VRAM usage). If a game uses more than 2 GB of VRAM, the card with 2 GB will still run it, but you'll have constant stuttering as information is swapped in and out of VRAM; those hiccups would not happen on the 4 GB card. If the VRAM is never maxed, then the two cards would perform identically; if one is maxed, the card with more VRAM will be noticeably smoother.

The benefits are not solely playing at a higher resolution, it is also features like antialiasing and anisotropic filtering, texture resolution, ambient occlusion, particle effects, shadows, reflections, draw distance... basically everything that would have any impact on how much VRAM is being used (which is basically everything in those advanced graphics options menu). Some modern games include a VRAM calculator in the advanced options menu so you can see which effects tend to be more VRAM intensive (GTA V for example); that can give you a good idea of how certain options impact VRAM usage. And just because an effect uses a lot of VRAM, doesn't make it a good effect; some proprietary soft shadow methods are incredibly VRAM heavy and frankly don't look so hot in motion.

When in doubt, err on the side of getting too much rather than too little. No one has ever complained that their VRAM is going unused, but play one game with stuttering because your VRAM is maxed and you'll regret not getting more.

More VRAM won't improve framerate on the same chipset, but it will help prevent stuttering that occurs if the game uses more than a certain amount of VRAM (and many modern games will push past 2 GB of VRAM usage). If a game uses more than 2 GB of VRAM, the card with 2 GB will still run it, but you'll have constant stuttering as information is swapped in and out of VRAM; those hiccups would not happen on the 4 GB card. If the VRAM is never maxed, then the two cards would perform identically; if one is maxed, the card with more VRAM will be noticeably smoother.

The benefits are not solely playing at a higher resolution, it is also features like antialiasing and anisotropic filtering, texture resolution, ambient occlusion, particle effects, shadows, reflections, draw distance... basically everything that would have any impact on how much VRAM is being used (which is basically everything in those advanced graphics options menu). Some modern games include a VRAM calculator in the advanced options menu so you can see which effects tend to be more VRAM intensive (GTA V for example); that can give you a good idea of how certain options impact VRAM usage. And just because an effect uses a lot of VRAM, doesn't make it a good effect; some proprietary soft shadow methods are incredibly VRAM heavy and frankly don't look so hot in motion.

When in doubt, err on the side of getting too much rather than too little. No one has ever complained that their VRAM is going unused, but play one game with stuttering because your VRAM is maxed and you'll regret not getting more.
Informative and detailed. Thank you! That makes perfect sense.

Kssio_Aug

My Pokemon Bank pass is almost expiring. How can I buy a new pass? Can't find the option and neither remember what I did last year to buy it.

dr_mario

I wish I could create threads, but my question is stupid anyway.

So. Playing Zelda Wii U, it being lenten season, I ate bellpepper with dips. Of course I'm stupid and my right stick is now red. How can I clean carotene from my gamepads white sticks?

Podge293

I wish I could create threads, but my question is stupid anyway.

So. Playing Zelda Wii U, it being lenten season, I ate bellpepper with dips. Of course I'm stupid and my right stick is now red. How can I clean carotene from my gamepads white sticks?

You need like 300 posts and 3 months to create threads I believe.

As for fixing it, if the usual suspects of alcohol wipes, magic eraser and other don't work, you can try replacing the stick itself. Isn't too difficult from what I recall

So I just got a refurbished Nintendo DS Lite from Gamestop. A friend of mine had lent me his fat DS a while ago and I decided to purchase my own.

It's a bit smaller, sleeker, and the screens are nicer. But I immediately noticed that the DS Lite requires a bit more pressure to effectively use the stylus. Is this normal or do you think I got a dying touch screen? The fat DS I have is very sensitive to the stylus but the DS Lite requires me to press down a bit.

I'm not experienced with Nintendo handhelds as I just started getting into them last year. If it's a defective touch screen I may even just get a replacement on eBay and fix it myself, that way I won't risk getting another damaged one.

Dvidus

I've got the first batch of 3DS when it came out, but I've never managed to look this up:

Is there a way to kill the blue pulsing led when it's charging?

It has been a major sleeping nuisance ever since I got it.

Jacobson

I've got the first batch of 3DS when it came out, but I've never managed to look this up:

uh, isn't the charging LED orange? maybe you have a spotpass notification

The_Lump

Banned
I keep seeing odd mentions of Zelda having weapon crafting. Afaik know it doesn't
(beyond folk like the Zora blacksmith re-building weapons for you)
Have followed this game very closely and read everything there is to read, but I keep seeing people mention crafting - I feel like I've somehow missed something obvious. Have I?

A blue pulsing led is a new spotpass notification. You can stop those appearing by simply turning the 3DS off. The charging light should be solid orange.

Švejk

I have a slight dilemma; I'm a few hours in Rise of the TR (and enjoying it), but now got NieR:A ready to play... Do I finish RotTR first, or put it to the side and jump on NieR:A? I spent munz to get the Day 1 Edition of Nier, but I have this unwritten rule in my conscience that I finish a (select) game I start before moving to another. Any suggestions on which to prioritize?

I have a slight dilemma; I'm a few hours in Rise of the TR (and enjoying it), but now got NieR:A ready to play... Do I finish RotTR first, or put it to the side and jump on NieR:A? I spent munz to get the Day 1 Edition of Nier, but I have this unwritten rule in my conscience that I finish a (select) game I start before moving to another. Any suggestions on which to prioritize?

You've got to do things properly so finish what you started and then move on.

calavera_jo

Neo Member

Try Nier and decide which you'd like to prioritize afterwards

Švejk

I'm sure once Nier is started, I'm not gonna want to put it down.. I can't say how many times I've played the demo. I guess my indecision also comes from that I'm playing BotW too (with the cheelrin), and it's filling the open-world void at the moment... damn first world problems and my indecisiveness. Thanks for the replies, guys. =)

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Can Xbox Live points cards still be redeemed somewhere?
I found two 1600 point cards in a drawer.

Found my answer on their site:

What happens to my Microsoft Points cards?

If you still have Microsoft Points cards or codes, you may redeem them on your console or Xbox.com, and we'll add to your Microsoft account an amount of currency equal to or greater than the Xbox stores' value of your Microsoft Points card or code (Xbox stores include the Xbox Games Store, Movies & TV Store, and Xbox Music Store). Microsoft has no plans to discontinue acceptance of previously purchased Microsoft Points cards and codes, until further notice.

Yay!

Top Bottom