• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

This week's Japan mag news (Ninja Gaiden PS3, White Knight Level5 PS3!) Scans!

duckroll

Kal said:
Not really. Now post the Ninja Gaiden Sigma scans and then we'll consider.
Yes, you're forgiven... we love u so much :p

I don't see those on any thread in 2ch yet. But I did see these.....

I expected Level 5's game to look much better technically, but it still looks OMG awesome artistically. Looks epic and huge, though.

Zaptruder

Banned
Pureauthor said:
The 3 companies are making it really hard to be a single-console owner this gen.

The worst part is that it's like, 5 games I want total from each system, but I know those games are going to be phenonmenal. It's at the exact level where you're just barely, just barely shy of dropping the cash you'd need to grab the console and the games.

Argh.

Yeah... there's definetly no weaker competitor in the console race this time.

Even the X360, which will very likely do worse sales wise with marginally worse hardware and features will still pump out some fantastic games, thanks to XNA and the backing of MS.

Which is alright for me, because I want all 3 consoles! So a little variety doesn't hurt at all!

duckroll

jj984jj said:
Can somebody translate what they say about the battle system in WK? :D

Seems like it's based on Rogue Galaxy's battle engine. You control the main character and your allies are AI. When certain situations are met, you can pull off co-op attacks.

Yoboman said:
Man, the character designs and art aren't too crash hot IMO. Maybe I'm feeling spoiled by LO and BD though

I like the art a lot more than LO's, and I think it's almost as nice as BD's. I love it, basically.

Yoboman

jj984jj said:
Can somebody translate what they say about the battle system in WK? :D
The latest RPG from the experts at Level 5 has been revealed in Famitsu. The developer of Dragon Quest VIII and Rogue Galaxy is working on Shirokishi Monogatari for the PlayStation 3. The title translates roughly to White Knight Story. Level 5 president Akihiro Hino is serving as producer on the title.

In this fantasy RPG, you take control of a boy who comes into the possession of an ancient artifact. The artifact gives him the ability to transform into the White Knight of the title, a 7-meter warrior from a time when such creatures nearly destroyed all of civilization.

White Knight Story places an emphasis on scale. In addition to the giant White Knight himself, and a similarly sized rival Black Knight, you'll encounter large-scale cities and enemies that extend over 2000 meters in size. One turtle-like enemy carries a full town on its back!

Speaking with Famitsu, Hino revealed that making a game with such a large scale is not an easy task. Texture limitations on previous machines meant that showing small details on large objects was not possible.

Hino also shared some insight into the original plans for the game. Rather than having the main character transform into the White Knight, Level 5 had originally considered having him ride on top of it. However, it was determined that this would require a giant of over 20 meters in size. Such a size discrepancy would have made it difficult to have the knight fight against human characters.

The main character isn't the only standard sized character in the game. Famitsu also introduces a short-haired heroine who appears to wield a knife, and an elderly knight who knows how to use magic. You'll also encounter a small species that uses small-sized aircraft for quick transportation and makes its living by selling the energy that the giant enemy creatures emit.

White Knight Story has all the elements of a Japanese RPG, from giant, freely navigated fields of play to battles. The fields of play let you see far into the distance so that you can identify enemies from afar. Enemies will also spot you, and will combine forces to attack.

Hino revealed to Famitsu that one of the big goals of the battle system in White Knight Story was realism both on the visual and gameplay levels. The game uses some sort of complex animation blending system, which Hino feels could not be achieved on previous systems. Level 5 made its own capture studio in order to create the game.

The developer also shied away from some of the paradigms of RPGs, like turn-based battles and standard "attack/magic/item/flee" menus. Prior to battle, you go into a "Battle Preparation" menu to set up your party of up to three characters. Each character can be equipped with a "function palette," consisting of a string of skills and moves -- everything from kicks to sword slashes. Skills can be added to the palette freely as long as you follow simple rules about what can follow what.

During battle, you can freely switch between the characters in your party, but you only control one character at a time. In addition to moving your character around on the battle field, all you have to do is press circle to execute the currently equipped function palette. The character then executes the moves, which are blended together realistically using the slick animation system mentioned above.

A palette can store up to 7 skills. You can save palettes and switch between them, suggesting that preparing different palettes ahead of time will be a strategic part of the game.

So where does the White Knight fit into the gameplay? You can transform into the White Knight during battle once you've filled up a meter by attacking enemies while in human form. When transformed, you make use of a special function palette which offers up powerful attacks. When facing off against a giant enemy, you'll want to full up your transformation meter and transform as soon as possible.

The Tokyo Game Show will offer our first look at White Knight Story, which despite its recent unveiling, seems to be far along in development. Stay tuned for more details later in the week.

Yoboman said:
Man, the character designs and art aren't too crash hot IMO. Maybe I'm feeling spoiled by LO and BD though

I think the problem is people kept comparing it to SotC. The concept still sounds ace though.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
duckroll said:
Seems like it's based on Rogue Galaxy's battle engine. You control the main character and your allies are AI. When certain situations are met, you can pull off co-op attacks.
:D :D :D :D :D

I can't wait for the trailers for WK. Hino seems be really focusing on animation which should make it stand out from alot of other next gen games.

Insertia

With the way L5 pushed visuals for PS2, I expected WK to be more visually impressive. Looks like it's using PS2's engine.

Pimpwerx

I don't love you, duckroll, but I have a heterosexual appreciation for your efforts. ;) I kid. Thanks for the scans. 'specially the GTHD ones. :) PEACE.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
http://frontmissionproject.cocolog-nifty.com/fmpb/

ds03_1.jpg

klee123

Like Rogue Galaxy, I actually really like the art style of WK. Technically it could be better tho. Hopefully it'll improve on release.

ant1532

Banned
Chris Michael said:
Wow, has TGS really started now? Front Mission DS is at the show...?
No it starts Friday(some more hours in Japan) for the hudreth time loL!! Geez lol, you can even see in that link that there is no one at the boths besides the set up people!

ram

Insertia said:
With the way L5 pushed visuals for PS2, I expected WK to be more visually impressive. Looks like it's using PS2's engine.

what? ps2 engine? you should use some glasses, because it looks clearly way above anything on ps2.

Yoboman

I wasn't expecting something soo... anime when they said they were going for a realistic approach. Bad anime too.

Insertia

Yoboman said:
:lol Why do you have an SDF avatar?

Cause it's funny.

I'm very much a part of the SDF, I just don't think WK holds up well technically after seeing LO and Blue Dragon.

Maybe it'll be a different story when seen in motion.

Yoboman

Insertia said:
Cause it's funny.

I'm very much a part of the SDF, I just don't think WK holds up well technically after seeing LO and Blue Dragon.

Maybe it'll be a different story when seen in motion.
I have to agree the more I look at it.

35206_erv_jp0629_122_443lo.jpg

This old dude looks like he should be made up of a tonne of polys in the clothes, yet it just looks like textures. The flat, rounded, expresionless faces makes it look PS2-esque aswell. They seem to lose alot of spark from their anime concept drawings there.

Elios83

MGS4 is amazing but I agree with Insertia, WKS looks like a PS2 game in those scans which is obviously a weird if not impossible thing from Level5.I guess the game must be seen in motion to appreciate it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Chris Michael said:
I'm not liking the Xenosaga look of WK... Xenosaga characters have always reminded me of dummies and I have a dummy phobia.

I was thinking the same thing. I love Level 5 to death, but these characters have a Xenosaga / Star Ocean: Till the End of Time vibe about them.

Pureauthor said:
You guys are hating on a Level 5 game.

A Level 5 game.

I know, its crazy. But this style just doesn't do anything for me. Of course we've only seen a few pictures, and my mild dislike of it wouldn't be enough for me to not buy it...I just don't like the direction they are going with it though.

Trust me, I'm no Level 5 hater. I'd shove my copies of Dragon Quest VIII and Dark Cloud 2 up my bum if L5 asked me to. Umm yeah, I think you get the point...

Yoboman

Pureauthor said:
You guys are hating on a Level 5 game.

A Level 5 game.
Clearly they don't have as tight a grasp on a "realistic" graphics style compared to their cel-shaded efforts.

Insertia said:

Thankfully, I'm not the only one that thinks so. I really expected something more amazing, like DQVIII amazing but tailored for the PS3!

duckroll

The PS3 is new technology for Level 5. They're not exactly the fastest to catch on to new technology but they're good at REALLY refining their technology. Look at Dark Cloud versus all their other games as time went on.

And once again: ULTRAMAN IN FANTASY WORLD!!!!!!!

Yoboman

duckroll said:
The PS3 is new technology for Level 5. They're not exactly the fastest to catch on to new technology but they're good at REALLY refining their technology. Look at Dark Cloud versus all their other games as time went on.

And once again: ULTRAMAN IN FANTASY WORLD!!!!!!!
Dark Cloud was their first game period though. Maybe you're right but they should have grips on the art department.

Any more scans BTW? Ninja Gaiden for instance?:)

duckroll

Don't see any Ninja Gaiden or Square-Enix game scans. Maybe the Japaneses guys that managed to get off their asses to buy scanners decided they hated Ninja Gaiden and Square-Enix? :lol

Vashu

duckroll said:
Don't see any Ninja Gaiden or Square-Enix game scans. Maybe the Japaneses guys that managed to get off their asses to buy scanners decided they hated Ninja Gaiden and Square-Enix? :lol

:lol

OR! They have enough now with White Knight Story! Which looks simply amazing compared to Ninja Gaiden. :D For all those saying WKS looks bad, consider the fact that you have HUGE and OPEN environments. Think DQVIII on a much much much larger scale.. Hell, it's DQVIII with ninja on fire, through a hospital and bla bla bla.

It's frackin Level 5! Now shotehfokop!

Yoboman

Vashu said:
:lol

OR! They have enough now with White Knight Story! Which looks simply amazing compared to Ninja Gaiden. :D For all those saying WKS looks bad, consider the fact that you have HUGE and OPEN environments. Think DQVIII on a much much much larger scale.. Hell, it's DQVIII with ninja on fire, through a hospital and bla bla bla.

It's frackin Level 5! Now shotehfokop!
'm only complaining about the art, not the technology :D I think that's the general consensus

Vashu

Yoboman said:
'm only complaining about the art, not the technology :D I think that's the general consensus

Well, some people did complain about the graphics, which they hardly could see anyway. And to me, there's nothing wrong with the art anyway. Now get out!

J/K :p

duckroll

Okay I'm rehosting the Ninja Gaiden scans now. :D

Edit: Here they are!

My lovely Ayane:

Zegapain NOT and Fusion Frezy 2:

Super Robot Wars XO:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma:

Top Bottom