• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Those awful right-wing Facebook pics your friends/family share

Status
Not open for further replies.

PillarEN

13423808_483784938485420_2507410436235045332_n.jpg
-
I love how illogical the formatting is on this picture. Like what was the person thinking about when they were creating it?

I wish I could contribute but it seems like I don't have enough nutters on my friends list :(

Even those who lean conservative are too chill and not filled with enough hate. What a problem for me.

Retro

This so hard. Making the democratic system into a team-based feces throwing contest is dumb and awful. I live in Texas and honestly my feed is mostly the liberal equivalent of a lot of this stuff. Everyone should be ashamed of themselves.

1. People have posted left-leaning pictures in this thread before, and just like the right-leaning ones, people fact check and poke holes in their messages when needed. You just don't see it much because...

2. The Democratic Party has a large centrist faction (Hillary, Bill Clinton's "Third Way"), a conservative wing (Blue Dogs), a good-sized liberal faction (the Warren / Sanders group) and then a far-left extremist camp that we almost never hear a peep from. The Republican Party, on the other hand, is composed of moderates (who have largely been dragged into the streets and executed by the Tea Party... figuratively, of course), Libertarians (who, let's be honest, are going to be pissed that I lumped them in with Republicans) and an extreme right faction that's basically taken over and now drowns everything else out.

The point is, the Democrats have their nutters just as much as the Republicans, but the Republicans have basically gotten themselves in a position where the inmates are running the asylum, and thus the level of discourse coming from the right-wing is much more disconnected from reality and in need to fact checking, hole-poking and (let's be honest) mockery. Generally all it takes is a visit to Wikipedia (see below) or, for the older / trickier chain-mails, Snopes.

Feel free to post as much liberal stuff from your facebook feed as you want, and we'll be happy to pick them apart as well. Just be aware of point 2; there's a huge disconnect between fact and fiction on the right side that just isn't happening on the left outside of, I dunno, Anti-vaxers (who are morons) and the more ridiculous versions of the college kids demanding safe spaces.

I love how illogical the formatting is on this picture. Like what was the person thinking about when they were creating it?

I have to believe that whoever made it was completely ignorant of the Pan Arab colors (red, green, white and black) or that it's taking kind of a vaguely crescent moon shape.

Also, guns are not illegal in France;

In France, to buy a firearm, a hunting licence or a shooting sport license is necessary. All semi-automatic rifles with a capacity greater than 3 rounds, all handguns and all rifles chambered in 'military' calibres, including bolt action, require permits. These are known as B1, B2 and B4 type permits. Firearms are divided into eight categories that determine the regulations that apply to their possession and use. France also sets limits on the number of cartridges that can be kept at home (1000 rounds per gun).

The total number of firearms owned by an individual is also subject to limits (not possible to have more than 12 authorizations/permits on B1, B2 and B4 type firearms). As of September, 2013, France has a capacity limit of 20 rounds for handguns; one needs a permit for category one semi-automatics that have a capacity greater than 3 rounds. Fully automatic firearms are illegal for civilian ownership.

I wish I could contribute but it seems like I don't have enough nutters on my friends list :(

Even those who lean conservative are too chill and not filled with enough hate. What a problem for me.

I nuked my Facebook account years ago when it became blatantly obvious how shady the whole thing is, and even if I hadn't I would have stopped following anyone who posted this kind of garbage consistently. But you can do what I do; when people post stuff, take the time to really dig into what's wrong with it rather than just chuckle at the absurdity. I mean, the image above makes a plead towards intelligence while building their point around completely false information that's easily disproven. It's also fun because you usually find all sorts of crazy stuff once you go down the rabbit hole.

berzeli

Banned
Not only is this utterly revolting, it is inaccurate. We voted against the euro, Sweden still uses the krona.
Fuck whomever created that image.

You know what, even if it was an ironically created image supposed to highlight how the murder of Anna Lindh did not swing the polls the person who created it can still get fucked.

zbarron

I really hate this because people who post this don't understand that Switzerland has very strict gun laws that would make gun loving american shit themselves

http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/hondswitz.asp
All in all, this meme compares two countries that aren't the least bit similar, then gets wrong nearly all the aspects of those countries it references. As such, it isn't the least bit useful or instructive as a discussion point for debates over gun ownership laws.
Fact checking isn't a big thing for a lot of people it seems.

Speaking of which can I just say how much I love when I click comment on this trash on Facebook it often shows a link to Snopes disproving it.

Ohhhh I see it now. When I first saw this I thought "Oh something against Drunk Driving? I can support that" But then, looking at it, it came across as "lol women can't drive, get back to the kitchen"

But yeah, like you said, it's not really any better or smarter.

Retro

No, I think this is a gun control analogy. Not that it makes it any smarter.

Yep. The image is the ol' "But but but cars can kill people, why don't we ban those?! Checkmake, libtards!" while quietly overlooking the laws, rules, restrictions, mandatory testing, registration and penalties attached to driving that would make any second amendment advocate lose their shit. An anecdotal example of this was just posted in PoliGAF yesterday (and you can backtrack the conversation from the quotes if you care, not very long).

The "Women Conservatives" thing is just going to boil down to single-issue voters building up a tolerance to the other shit they have to swallow with a light glaze of "voting against your own best interest." There's people on the left who do the same things, but it always seems so much more hypocritical when it comes from the right, largely because the left rarely tries to outright ban / restrict things other than guns, while the right wants to stop / stall / destroy... well, it's a long ass list, but just stuff that affects women and mothers off the top of my head... abortion / birth control (and they're willing to throw places like PP under the bus to get them, even if it includes cancer screenings, pre-natal care, etc.), equal pay, affordable healthcare, child care, WIC, domestic violence (VAWA), women in combat, rape legislation, etc.

The "Women Conservatives" thing is just going to boil down to single-issue voters building up a tolerance to the other shit they have to swallow with a light glaze of "voting against your own best interest." There's people on the left who do the same things, but it always seems so much more hypocritical when it comes from the right, largely because the left rarely tries to outright ban / restrict things other than guns, while the right wants to stop / stall / destroy... well, it's a long ass list, but just stuff that affects women and mothers off the top of my head... abortion / birth control (and they're willing to throw places like PP under the bus to get them, even if it includes cancer screenings, pre-natal care, etc.), equal pay, affordable healthcare, child care, WIC, domestic violence (VAWA), women in combat, rape legislation, etc.

It's funny you mention this because I noticed the same hypocrisy with the whole bathroom debacle.

With guns, the big conservative defense for tighter gun control is "But bad guys aren't going to listen to LAWS, they're going to do it anyway!" and yet they seem to forget this, assuming a LAW will magically prevent a sick perverted man from entering the women's bathroom and raping your daughter

And while I'm at it, have another half-baked false equivalency.

FoFUgN5.png

Retro

With guns, the big conservative defense for tighter gun control is "But bad guys aren't going to listen to LAWS, they're going to do it anyway!" and yet they seem to forget this, assuming a LAW will magically prevent a sick perverted man from entering the women's bathroom and raping your daughter

Which is just another new layer in the old "The Party of Small Government" shitcake anyways. As a bonus, this layer also has the "We get to call transgender individuals sick, perverted pedophiles while we're at it, just like we used to do with the gays!" frosting.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
You can't fool me, Voldemort! I'm onto your game.

I got this one recently...

No, I'm pretty sure your racist.

Actually I have one friend who is just going nuts over Hillary. I feel I'm going to have to cull my FaceBook friends list when the election comes.

I wonder how many of these dipshits joined Trump in celebrating Brexit's GIT OUR COUNTRY BACK... from Europe

Not

Banned
Do these these people think they can drive their guns to work?

The point of a car is not to kill things. The inventor of the assault rifle wasn't like "oh man, this will be GREAT for skeet shooting"

Retro

I'd hoped to never get sent anything bad enough for this thread, but my father sent this along today...

zV66XST.jpg

Worst part: He lives in Florida, and refuses to vote for either. I guess it's better than a Trump vote.

j7fwAy.jpg

It's funny, because of lot of the "conspiracy" shit you see online nowadays just stems from people lacking a basic understanding of how politics works.

So, this one appeared on my feed.

lTP2kVz.jpg

Specific person, specific quote, specific source material. But apparently nobody has time to google it to see if it's actually true (spoiler alert: it isn't).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom