• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR(SPOILERS): 'Power Rangers' Cast Lobbying for a Female Green Ranger in Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouta

I think a "Tommie Oliver" could work well. Haven't seen the new movie yet but Tommy was a super integral character in the show and a sequel would do right to capatalize on that.

Just make JDF her Dad or a teacher or something for the nostalgia factor.

That'd be an amazing way to involve JDF in the movie. He could teach his daughter martial arts as well to keep with the original character. I'm all for this. Someone get on it!

Jason and Tommy are like two sides of a coin, they're both alpha male leaders in the same team. It isn't anything sexist like you're implying, Tommy is Rita's Jason, her dark knight. Ken is Ryu's rival, not Chun-Li.
But you can easily rewrote her to be Ken in personality and drive. Women can be alphas and desire to lead just as men can because, gasp, we're basically the same when afforded the opportunity to be.

Snaku

Banned
Came to post this. I would be amazing to see JDF at 43 years old come in and play it straight as a high schooler

idpydKw.png

Just have him play Lord Drakkon, would make perfect sense.

img_5229u7u0n.jpg

I'd be down for it, but I'd be terrified of the hate that the actress and the people making the movie would get from assholes on the internet.

I think a "Tommie Oliver" could work well. Haven't seen the new movie yet but Tommy was a super integral character in the show and a sequel would do right to capatalize on that.

Just make JDF her Dad or a teacher or something for the nostalgia factor.

That would be amazing, there could even be an in joke were JDF is like "If you're having problems you can always talk to me" and she could reply "I don't think you'd understand" and he replies with something like "I don't know, I had some pretty crazy things happen to me when I was your age."
Or something along those lines, something that just seems like normal parent and child talk, but is also a wink and a nod to the fans.

Erv

This stupid rumor needs to die. It's been debunked so many times. JDF never bullied David Yost over his sexuality and the two have been friends and supporting each other for decades now.

It all apparently stemmed from some behind the scenes video of a hyperactive JDF clearly annoying David Yost during Season 1 with his "green is best" antics... And that's it.
I mean how do we know he didn't bully him? Its possible they're just cool with each other now

BossRush

I'd be alright with this. Change up the formula, go nuts, do things different! That's often been when Power Rangers is at its best. That and just having good writing.

Joni

I mean how do we know he didn't bully him? Its possible they're just cool with each other now

Because he said he was bullied by the directors, the creators, the producers and the writers. The only thing he said about the cast was that they were questioned about his sexuality. He has only called out one actor from the original show, Bryan Cranston.

and that rival can't be female because...?

Question: Why would being female preclude this storyline?

This is another of those situations where I don't really care which direction they go in, but the arguments against always sound odd.

And they can't be a woman because...

The "two faces to the same coin" metaphor is probably an apt description of their dynamic. It's never been a question of gender for me, but rather duality that was easily discernible.

Had Red been cast a woman, I'd be making the same argument in advocating for the Green Ranger to be a woman.

The "two faces to the same coin" metaphor is probably an apt description of their dynamic. It's never been a question of gender for me, but rather duality that was easily discernible.

Had Red been cast a woman, I'd be making the same argument in advocating for the Green Ranger to be a woman.

But that doesn't really tackle the original question. A challenge to the leadership and sharing a similar strong personality has little to do with a male-male dynamic. The duality was between two different types of leadership - one that played out in the production of the show itself - between a stoic current leader and the more dynamic and flashy upstart.

Like I don't really get "Red is male, so Green has to be male". In fact, the rivalry could be played in a more unique manner with a female Green. As a preference sure, but it's not a great reason. The closest I can come to this is I prefer Barry Allen to have blonde hair, despite the fact they keep avoiding it. It's not a great reason, just personal preference.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Cool

OG can't be topped though, shoulda gender swapped someone else instead because their thunder won't reach Tommy's

Oh boy is this what the next fiasco going to be about? The problem with overhauling the green ranger is that Tommy Oliver is the quintessential power ranger for a lot of folks. JDF is power rangers for some people.

Oh boy is this what the next fiasco going to be about? The problem with overhauling the green ranger is that Tommy Oliver the quintessential power ranger for a lot of folks.
This is a young adult movie franchise though. An excuse to get more young attractive women on board for marketing purposes is huge.

Nostalgia won't push the sequel like it did this one. If it helped this one at all in the first place.

This is a young adult movie franchise though. An excuse to get more young attractive women on board for marketing purposes is huge.

Nostalgia won't push the sequel like it did this one. If it helped this one at all in the first place.
While I don't know if nostalgia would help a second one there's no doubt in my mind that it helped the first one. The movie wouldn't get nearly as much coverage especially early on if it were a fresh new ip.

Zolo

It doesn't bother me since I watched around 5 seasons of power rangers, and they changed colors all the time, though I get this movie's supposed to reflect the first season.

Quick

Banned
I'm all for it. Gives the team an even male/female split. But also because I put some thought into how the Green Ranger could join up in the sequel:

Speculation, with some stuff from the movie:

I can see them tie up the Green Ranger with Rita in the sequel. I'm probably overthinking it, but Zordon was able to command the five power coins to find "worthy" people before the meteor hit. Rita could command her coin similarly, and put her essence into it (like Zordon in the ship, but more evil or something), and the person who finds her coin (a "lady" because she likes the word lol) starts to slowly inherit characteristics of Rita, until *insert plot stuff* and Tommi/Tommie/Tomi/Tommy ends up being part of the team and fucks up Lord Zedd or whoever comes up next.

SaviourMK2

Tommy as a girl? Interesting.... make her kind of an uber tomboy?
Maybe a potential interest for Trini in the sequel?

Zen Aku

They should throw Jason David Frank in the role.
that would be hilarious, but i wouldn't want that.
I'll be honest I'd prefer it as a guy. I know at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, but I always saw Tommy as another Jason, that's why there was friction. They were two alpha males, two leaders, in one squad. I basically want him to be a mirror version of Jason. All of this could be done with a female Tommy of course, but I guess I can't shake a preference.

by mirror you mean opposite then yes Tommy is a mirror version of Jason. Tommy is a leader but he came off as cold and a loner at first. He only warm up to the team after spending more time with them. Even then you can still see traces of his lone wolf mentality. Which is fine, that what make the friendship between Tommy and Jason so great.

Quick

Banned
by mirror you mean opposite then yes Tommy is a mirror version of Jason. Tommy is a leader but he came off as cold and a loner at first. He only warm up to the team after spending more time with them. Even then you can still see traces of his lone wolf mentality. Which is fine, that what make the friendship between Tommy and Jason so great.

You get a real sense of Jason and Tommy's friendship when Tommy went AFK to grab their belts for the martial arts competition at the Youth Center, too bad he was intercepted by the Putties and had to inconveniently be tied up and not be able to help until the last minute.

Pachimari

I just want the Green Ranger to have a vest or fancier armor, and not just look like a recolor. I want the Green to be legendary.

I'd be so up for this. I'm okay with people preferring male Tommy, but I know I'll have to listen to BS about why Tommy can't be female...

It's cool the cast is pushing for this.

Toa TAK

Banned
Whatever they do I'm down. It's not a bad idea so long as they do a good job of developing the character, which I thought this movie did well with the Rangers. Keep it up and they can do whatever. I don't need a 1:1 adaptation of a show that's barely mindless entertainment at best.

TraBuch

Banned
I'd rather they didn't. He's an established character, iconic even. If you're gonna make the green ranger a woman, sure, go for it, but don't call her Tommy. And if they were gonna go in that direction, I'd've preferred it if they just went with an entirely new cast of characters.

Is it unreasonable to think that? Maybe. But nostalgia's a powerful thing.

LionPride

Banned
JDF needs to get his head outta his ass. He don't matter that much shit.

A female Tommy could be a love interest for Trini and be seen as a rival for Jason or some shit.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I'd rather they didn't. He's an established character, iconic even. If you're gonna make the green ranger a woman, sure, go for it, but don't call her Tommy. And if they were gonna go in that direction, I'd've preferred it if they just went with an entirely new cast of characters.

Is it unreasonable to think that? Maybe. But nostalgia's a powerful thing.
What was your opinion of switching up Zack, Trini and Billy's ethnicities for the movie? Those characters are equally as established and iconic as Tommy, but the changes still worked out pretty well.

JDF needs to get his head outta his ass. He don't matter that much shit.

A female Tommy could be a love interest for Trini and be seen as a rival for Jason or some shit.
Clever way to give Trini more spotlight in the sequel. I'd be down.

Toa TAK

Banned

Zen Aku

You get a real sense of Jason and Tommy's friendship when Tommy went AFK to grab their belts for the martial arts competition at the Youth Center, too bad he was intercepted by the Putties and had to inconveniently be tied up and not be able to help until the last minute.

Yes, that was a great moment. Or when Tommy entrust Jason with the power armor and dagger.

What was your opinion of switching up Zack, Trini and Billy's ethnicities for the movie? Those characters are equally as established and iconic as Tommy, but the changes still worked out pretty well.
Let's be real, as iconic as the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is, if we are talking about individual fame. No one is more well known and famous than Tommy Oliver. You can make a damn good case for Jason Scott. But I'm sorry the other four aren't nearly as well known as those two outside of the fandom. JDF made Tommy Oliver into the face of Power Rangers, I'm saying that as a bigger Red Ranger fan.

Personally I prefer Tommy to stay as a male, because I'm just used to it being that way. But if they make a damn good female Tommy, I wouldn't be opposed to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom