• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR(SPOILERS): 'Power Rangers' Cast Lobbying for a Female Green Ranger in Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Link1110

Wonder if Hammy's actress speaks English

Whatever. Teach her enough and make her a foreign exchange student... From space!

Zen Aku

Red's design is the only one that really stands out.
Yeah his helmet was the only distinctive one.

I'm still hoping they'll redesign it to be similar to this while still maintain an alien connection.

power_rangers_redesign_by_carlosdattoliart-da5wvxf.jpg

Considering Rita's origins in this version why would this be a surprise. Also lets be honest no matter if it was a dude you're going to complain he isn't as cool as JDF cause nostalgia is a motherfucker.

Im all for a girl as the Green Ranger.

Just ya know dont fuck up the Shield, Dragon Dagger or Dragonzord please.

EDIT: that image above is great but the shield needs to be a tad bigger.

Zen Aku

Considering Rita's origins in this version why would this be a surprise. Also lets be honest no matter if it was a dude you're going to complain he isn't as cool as JDF cause nostalgia is a motherfucker.

EDIT: that image above is great but the shield needs to be a tad bigger.

Tommy was a fly son of a bitch.

I always thought the shield was a bit too big and comical to be effective as fighting armor. Shrinking it down to be more form fitting like the image above might be better. At least reduce the shoulder part a bit.

I'll be honest I'd prefer it as a guy. I know at the end of the day it doesn't really matter, but I always saw Tommy as another Jason, that's why there was friction. They were two alpha males, two leaders, in one squad. I basically want him to be a mirror version of Jason. All of this could be done with a female Tommy of course, but I guess I can't shake a preference.
For me there's no way they could top OG Tommy so might as well go for something new so I'm all in for a female Green Ranger.

Yeah Becky G didn't have to do shit besides stand out of frame for most of the movie, reject Zack's advances, and have the cutest scene during the montage. If Tommy is a girl, love interest for her and hopefully they develop Trini more.

Speaking of Zack tho...hip hop kido anyone?
Which scene was that?

Yeah his helmet was the only distinctive one.

I'm still hoping they'll redesign it to be similar to this while still maintain an alien connection.

power_rangers_redesign_by_carlosdattoliart-da5wvxf.jpg
I'd argue that Pink's was also distinctive but I couldn't tell you what, if any, differences Blue, Yellow and Black had with each other. They were so overly designed that they became indistinguishable. Same thing with
the Megazord
. I couldn't describe it to you if you asked me.

And yes, how is it that fan recreations so often end up looking better than what professionals end up creating!?

Pluto

Why does fanart almost always look better than what we actually get?!
Because fanart doesn't have to take into account other people's opinions, other designs the suits have to fit, how things look in motion etc.

This particular fanart isn't even that great, only the helmets look good and they just took the tv show helmets and made them shinier. The suits are standard superhero suits you'd get in every other franchise, with a few tweaks the blue and red suits could be used as base suits for Superman and Flash for example. At least the movie suits we got have a distinctive look.

zeemumu

That would be fine. The original Tommy will never be topped so they may as well do something different.

I read this as "The original Tommy will never be stopped," which is true to some extent. Jason David Frank will, in fact, never be stopped.

Sephzilla

I feel like gender swapping the Green Ranger would sort of ruin the Tommy/Jason bromance the original MMPR had. Green Ranger is admittedly my favorite character from the original show and I'd like the character to be as unchanged as possible, but ultimately I guess it's not a huge deal.

They better not fuck with the DragonZord though. That beast is perfection.

It made pretty good money this weekend. If it pulls well internationally it's getting another one.

It's beating expectations at the box office so far. Really solid opening weekend. It's getting a sequel.

That international box office number does not inspire confidence, especially after opening in 60+ territories.. Unless it has serious legs, it's going to top out well below Fantastic Four (2005).

MisterHero

But they just did an evil female green ranger

I've come to terms that it's not my TV show. They can do whatever as long as it's fun and engaging.

If Saban were really bold though, he'd put a fraction of the movie budget into paying for classic characters for new TV episodes.

YES

Tammy Oliver!

edit: On the whole "Tommy needs to be male because of his broism/rivalry with Jason" thing, it wouldn't work in this new reboot because the first movie very solidly established that Jason is best bros with Billy. And that's on top of the fact that men and women can be rivals.

Bring on a female green ranger. Have her be lesbian and get in a relationship with Trini.

MrBadger

If the Green Ranger was female, the dynamic between Red and Green would likely change but I don't see why that matters so much. Reboots should be about putting a new spin on things rather than just copying the source material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom