• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

THR(SPOILERS): 'Power Rangers' Cast Lobbying for a Female Green Ranger in Sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
What was your opinion of switching up Zack, Trini and Billy's ethnicities for the movie? Those characters are equally as established and iconic as Tommy, but the changes still worked out pretty well.

Clever way to give Trini more spotlight in the sequel. I'd be down.
Let's be honest. Their popularity mostly stems from being the original ranger team and two of them were replaced early on. Billy had a longer run with the show but he was still no Tommy.

Yes! This would be great. She was the weakest character in the film and this would easily help develop her and create drama.

Please God

I thought we were past this

Have her be the subject of the
'girlfriend problems' that apparently get brought up in the film. Green vs Yellow turns into the ultimate lover's spat.

Also on the costume point, have the Green Ranger wreck the others so badly that they need 'an upgrade' which conveniently removes the boob armour, heels, and streamlines the suits - whether to be more in line with the originals or for a touch of Dairanger - ala Iron Man's fixes over the course of the Marvel films.

But yeah uh, I'd be kinda down with this, and now I kinda wanna see the movie to help make it happen. This cast actually seem to be decent people.

LionPride

Banned
What was your opinion of switching up Zack, Trini and Billy's ethnicities for the movie? Those characters are equally as established and iconic as Tommy, but the changes still worked out pretty well.

Clever way to give Trini more spotlight in the sequel. I'd be down.

Yes! This would be great. She was the weakest character in the film and this would easily help develop her and create drama.

Please God

I thought we were past this
Yeah Becky G didn't have to do shit besides stand out of frame for most of the movie, reject Zack's advances, and have the cutest scene during the montage. If Tommy is a girl, love interest for her and hopefully they develop Trini more.

Speaking of Zack tho...hip hop kido anyone?

TraBuch

Banned
First of all, none of those characters are nearly as iconic as Tommy. Tommy is THE Power Ranger, with Jason and Kimberly a step behind him. Jason because he was the leader, Kimberly because she was the first crush of many a youth.

I have no problem with them changing the ethnicity of some of the characters, especially when you factor in how originally, the black ranger was black and the yellow ranger was Asian. It's one thing to do that in the 90's, but there would be some serious raised eyebrows in this day and age. It was kind of necessary. The ethnicity change also really doesn't change the dynamic of any of the relationships.

Turning Tommy into a woman fundamentally changes the entire relationship with Jason. Not that that would be a terrible thing, but that's not Jason and Tommy. If their names weren't Jason and Tommy, I'd have zero issues with making the green ranger a woman.

Once again, that's probably unreasonable, but sometimes nostalgia is unreasonable.

Zen Aku

God I want the original cast actors to have a small role in the sequels. Like Jason and Tommy could be running a martial art dojo together, Kimberly as a cheerleading coach, Billy running a business (juice bar) and Zach as the new hip teacher that just came to Angel Grove.

Garlador

First of all, none of those characters are nearly as iconic as Tommy. Tommy is THE Power Ranger, with Jason and Kimberly a step behind him. Jason because he was the leader, Kimberly because she was the first crush of many a youth.

I have no problem with them changing the ethnicity of some of the characters, especially when you factor in how originally, the black ranger was black and the yellow ranger was Asian. It's one thing to do that in the 90's, but there would be some serious raised eyebrows in this day and age. It was kind of necessary. The ethnicity change also really doesn't change the dynamic of any of the relationships.

Turning Tommy into a woman fundamentally changes the entire relationship with Jason. Not that that would be a terrible thing, but that's not Jason and Tommy. If their names weren't Jason and Tommy, I'd have zero issues with making the green ranger a woman.

Once again, that's probably unreasonable, but sometimes nostalgia is unreasonable.
I think it's also because the Tommy/Jason bromance was one of the better ones told in the original Power Rangers. There was a real rivalry between them, but also a great deal of mutual respect. They were both equals, friends, and yet also competitors. That made for a great dynamic, especially with Jason's guilt at failing to save Tommy from losing his Ranger powers. Many episodes were dedicated to just how similar, yet uniquely different, the pair were and how they had to overcome their issues and work as a unit.
green-ranger-vs-red-ranger-o.gif

tumblr_m96cgiwc9o1ro8ysbo1_400.gif

rangers7.gif

Tommy was basically a darker, more powerful version of Jason, which is why he was both so threatening as a villain and so helpful as an ally (and why Tommy ultimately slipping into the role of "leader" later on was pretty natural).

While it's not inherently better or worse, swapping the gender does change that dynamic, and I think many would read into it far more as belligerent sexual tension more than friendly competition. Of course it could go any direction possible - that's the power of fiction after all, but I'll admit I have a deep and powerful nostalgia for the original Green Ranger (hell, there's a figure of him on my shelf right next to my computer as I type this).

If they change it, eh, fine. It's not like the original dynamic from the show ceases to exist.
anigif_original-grid-image-9715-1405357462-18.gif

MartyStu

This stupid rumor needs to die. It's been debunked so many times. JDF never bullied David Yost over his sexuality and the two have been friends and supporting each other for decades now.

It all apparently stemmed from some behind the scenes video of a hyperactive JDF clearly annoying David Yost during Season 1 with his "green is best" antics... And that's it.

Wait, I can go back to liking JDF now? Fantastic.

Tommy best
green
Ranger!!!

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
Let's be real, as iconic as the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers is, if we are talking about individual fame. No one is more well known and famous than Tommy Oliver. You can make a damn good case for Jason Scott. But I'm sorry the other four aren't nearly as well known as those two outside of the fandom. JDF made Tommy Oliver into the face of Power Rangers, I'm saying that as a bigger Red Ranger fan.

Personally I prefer Tommy to stay as a male, because I'm just used to it being that way. But if they make a damn good female Tommy, I wouldn't be opposed to it.
That's... beside the point I was making. I'm not talking about popularity here. Tommy is without a doubt the most celebrated ranger of all time, deserved or otherwise. An episode of the series (Forever Red) even pokes fun of this fact.

But I was discussing how Zack, Trini and Billy are pre-established characters with a specific ethnic identity. Being among the original 5 team members automatically seals their place as nostalgic figureheads for a lot of older fans. And hell, for a lot of casuals their race was THE defining characteristic lol. So it made me wonder if the race alterations of those established characters was just as off-putting as the potential gender swap of Tommy.

That's... beside the point I was making. I'm not talking about popularity here. Tommy is without a doubt the most celebrated ranger of all time, deserved or otherwise. An episode of the series (Forever Red) even pokes fun of this fact.

But I was discussing how Zack, Trini and Billy are pre-established characters with a specific ethnic identity. Being among the original 5 team members automatically seals their place as nostalgic figureheads for a lot of older fans. And hell, for a lot of casuals their race was THE defining characteristic lol. So it made me wonder if the race alterations of those established characters was just as off-putting as the potential gender swap of Tommy.
Honestly if people are so beholden to the original then who cares what they think of a movie without the original cast. It's not the same thing.

It might have similar window dressing but this is a new story and if they want a different spin then I'm happy for them to have a chance.

JDMC13

Green Ranger being female would be great as long as they keep the rivalry/bromance (romance?) with the Red Ranger.

Garlador

I'll admit, I was surprised they didn't just go with their replacements outright and bypass the race-swapping of the originals.

Ultimately, I still found it... innocuous enough. This is not the original Power Rangers; it's its own thing and deserves to be its own thing, rather than a direct translation of the originals.

I mean, in my head, Trini is always going to be Asian, Zack will always be black, and Billy will always be the traditional nerd, but that's MY generation of Power Rangers.

Just as I accept that "my" version of many heroes is not the version a whole new generation grew up with. I grew up with Hal Stewart, but a whole new generation views Kyle Rayner or John Stewart as "their" Green Lantern. There's room for both.

I disagree. Trini didn't get much back story that I remember but for Billy his identity was basically that of a nerd and techno geek. Zack is a different story but his portrayal also wouldn't really work today.
Green Ranger being female would be great as long as they keep the rivalry/bromance (romance?) with the Red Ranger.

I'm sure some fanfics would come true.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.
I dunno, I can see the Jason-Tommy rivalry/bromance being perfectly viable if Tommy were female. Chicks can be bros too, breh. It'd be interesting to see how that dynamic could play out.

Yeah Becky G didn't have to do shit besides stand out of frame for most of the movie, reject Zack's advances, and have the cutest scene during the montage. If Tommy is a girl, love interest for her and hopefully they develop Trini more.

Speaking of Zack tho...hip hop kido anyone?
Yeess, I was thinking the same thing! I need this in my life.
Honestly if people are so beholden to the original then who cares what they think of a movie without the original cast. It's not the same thing.

It might have similar window dressing but this is a new story and if they want a different spin then I'm happy for them to have a chance.
I personally prefer when they shake up certain conventions from the source material, including things like race, gender, sexual orientation, etc. They handled the changes well enough in the movie. Kept it familiar but fresh.

asagami_

Banned
Tomi, pronounced Tammy. The teacher just mispronounced it. It'll be to get the right on board

It's not like that already happened to other character in the movie...

And now I am hyped by this.

I guess I will watch again the movie to help the sequels happen.

Hopeford

Only thing I'd miss is that I love bromances. I like when guys are given examples of close male friendship and that's treated as something acceptable, like it's healthy to have close friends and open up to them. I think a lot of people try to be overly silent and standoffish because they think that's what they need to do and yeah, I like when media shows that bromances are cool to have.

So I'd miss the Jason Tommy bromance.

But I understand that female representation is more important than my personal enjoyment, so I'm not exactly gonna complain about this.

Blueblur1

Ahhh, I hope they keep it a guy. They can create an additional female ranger later or replace one of the guys with a girl. Just don't make that particular character a girl.

Edit: The Jason-Tommy bromance is one of the main reasons I want the character to be male. It was one of my favorite aspects of MMPR.

TreIII

I dunno, I can see the Jason-Tommy rivalry/bromance being perfectly viable if Tommy were female. Chicks can be bros too, breh. It'd be interesting to see how that dynamic could play out.

I'd agree. And personally, I just think the idea of Tommie (Thomasina?) being that much of a bad bitch in direct opposition to Jason's alpha male would honestly be a cool thing to delve into. Whether they tried to play up a possible romantic/bromantic thing or not!

Besides, the original series is still there. The Boom series reinvents that dynamic in an interesting way, so why not do another different take in the movie line?

Not

Banned
Tommy is my favorite character from the franchise, so I can't condone such a change.

What if they changed his race? Like, hypothetically. Would you condone a change like that? What is it about gender that crosses the line? Consider this very carefully.

Catalix

They could do whatever they wanted with Trini since she really had no character
Yeah she really was a blank slate. Pleasant, but bland.

Anth0ny

Yeah it will. It's been doing better in the box office and word of mouth so far has been positive despite mixed reviews.

There's a real potential here.

we're not even through the first weekend yet

if it drops like crazy second weekend we ain't getting a sequel

Nelo Ice

Banned
Works for me. I'm shocked the movie was as good as it was and I'm all in for sequels. More diversity would be great and I already love how diverse the current rangers are.

Ri'Orius

I think a "Tommie Oliver" could work well. Haven't seen the new movie yet but Tommy was a super integral character in the show and a sequel would do right to capatalize on that.

Just make JDF her Dad or a teacher or something for the nostalgia factor.

Along those lines: in Dino Thunder Tommy Oliver comes back as a paleontologist. He's the one who finds the MacGuffins that give the rangers dino powers, and for the first half of the show acts as a mentor/Zordon figure to the rangers.

Then when they add in the extra ranger (who's always got the biggest zord and the fanciest costume), he grabs that for himself and becomes the field leader, upstaging the new rangers. Proving once and for all that Tommy Oliver/JDF is a spotlight-stealing bastard.

I was ready to forgive him for what he did to Jason, but after that I'm scorched-earth on the fucker.

Garlador

Along those lines: in Dino Thunder Tommy Oliver comes back as a paleontologist. He's the one who finds the MacGuffins that give the rangers dino powers, and for the first half of the show acts as a mentor/Zordon figure to the rangers.

Then when they add in the extra ranger (who's always got the biggest zord and the fanciest costume), he grabs that for himself and becomes the field leader, upstaging the new rangers. Proving once and for all that Tommy Oliver/JDF is a spotlight-stealing bastard.

I was ready to forgive him for what he did to Jason, but after that I'm scorched-earth on the fucker.

But... he doesn't have the fanciest costume of Dino Thunder.
latest

That honor went to this guy:
latest

You know i'd be against this but all the other characters were done so well a female Tommy wouldn't hurt a balance or anything.

Not like they can top original Tommy straightforward anyway.
Though it would be controversial so it depends if they want it or not.

Smoolio

This can't have the same rivarly/bromance with a girl bs is pretty sexist.

Really hope they do it now as we need more of this dynamic, and coupled with the possible Trini romance would be super positive.

aly

Eh, that's one change I would probably not be a fan of. Ruining my Jason/Tommy rivalry and my Kim/Tommy/Kat pairings

What if they changed his race? Like, hypothetically. Would you condone a change like that? What is it about gender that crosses the line? Consider this very carefully.

White Washing is pretty terrible.

Garlador

I wouldn't be happy if they did. Tommy was actually one of the few Native American leading heroes I had growing up.
tumblr_m8i6qbb76x1qa4i6p.png

We don't get that many...

wildfire

Banned
Having the same sex as a rival is different from opposite genders. Same sex characters are far more likely to understand more subtle social cues that opposite genders don't.

It would be cool to have a green ranger as a woman but I agree with those it would feel off and not for nostalgia reasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom