• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TITANFALL 2 |G2.1| "Whatever The Fuck That Means"

Reapers.

*facepalm*

Can anybody think of a single match or individual PVP engagement that in any fucking way was positively impacted by these braindead, path-blocking bullet sponges?

Cause I sure as hell cant.

Gator86

Reapers.

*facepalm*

Can anybody think of a single match or individual PVP engagement that in any fucking way was positively impacted by these braindead, path-blocking bullet sponges?

Nope, simply a ridiculously shitty inclusion that serves basically no purpose. All they do is add frustration. They should have just increased the amount of grunts and spectres that drop toward the end of the match. For Legion and Scorch, they are a goddamn pox considering how slow you are.

grendelrt

Reapers.

*facepalm*

Nope, simply a ridiculously shitty inclusion that serves basically no purpose. All they do is add frustration. They should have just increased the amount of grunts and spectres that drop toward the end of the match. For Legion and Scorch, they are a goddamn pox considering how slow you are.

Was fighting an Ion one on one and a reaper droppe behind me. Did more dmg than the Ion i was fighting, literally had to ignore the Ion and kill the reaper then continue to fight the Ion because the reaper would have killed me faster lol.

Also fuck friendly reapers that block you or get you stuck against the environment, cant even kill it to move it.

Greddleok

Reapers are a great idea implemented badly.

Their whole point was to give you something you could farm while in a titan.

The problems are numerous though:
They do damage which you can't regenerate. It's a bad idea to engage a reaper unless you can stun it and kill it instantly. Of course all titans can do that, but the stun is often a cool down. Really that's an issue with how they changed the titan health/shield.

They do too much damage.
As you guys said, if you're facing a titan and a reaper, that reaper will shred your titan. It makes engaging enemies a bad idea when they're around. Unlike how you can practically ignore grunts when there's a pilot (except for the grunts fucking with the console auto aim).

They block movement, even when they are on your side.
This drives me crazy. I can count the number of times I've died to a nuclear eject on one hand. 4 of those were thanks to a reaper blocking my path.

Reapers are a good idea, I just don't think they were implemented correctly.

Reapers are a great idea implemented badly.

Their whole point was to give you something you could farm while in a titan.

The problems are numerous though:
They do damage which you can't regenerate. It's a bad idea to engage a reaper unless you can stun it and kill it instantly. Of course all titans can do that, but the stun is often a cool down. Really that's an issue with how they changed the titan health/shield.

They do too much damage.
As you guys said, if you're facing a titan and a reaper, that reaper will shred your titan. It makes engaging enemies a bad idea when they're around. Unlike how you can practically ignore grunts when there's a pilot (except for the grunts fucking with the console auto aim).

They block movement, even when they are on your side.
This drives me crazy. I can count the number of times I've died to a nuclear eject on one hand. 4 of those were thanks to a reaper blocking my path.

Reapers are a good idea, I just don't think they were implemented correctly.

Reapers are fun for me... for the most part

Most frustrating thing I've encountered with them is when they can titanfall crush your titan, seemingly without warning. I've since just learned to laugh this off tho, lol
Other than that, I appreciate the added variety and points they give up and I'm able to dispatch them fairly quickly, whether if it's with Ion's energy beam (takes two hits) or a gas + napalm combo from Scorch

Greddleok

Most frustrating thing I've encountered with them is when they can titanfall crush you're titan, seemingly without warning. I've since just learned to laugh this off tho, lol
Other than that, I appreciate the added variety and points they give up and I'm able to dispatch them fairly quickly, whether if it's with Ion's energy beam (takes two hits) or a gas + napalm combo from Scorch

I get crushed by them way too often. They have that mark on the ground and I think I'm safe if I'm a little away from it. Nope! Their landing explosion is huge.

I also just laugh that off. Only myself to blame after it happened the first time.

Rayme, when's the next double XP weekend? I need to farm some credits.

Most frustrating thing I've encountered with them is when they can titanfall crush your titan, seemingly without warning. I've since just learned to laugh this off tho, lol

But this is ridiculous. It essentially guarentees you're without energy should an enemy Titan round the corner. It's idiocy for cannon fodder to leave you essentially defenseless, because it discourages you from engaging, or hell even flanking, if you see any.

Rayme, when's the next double XP weekend? I need to farm some credits.

But this is ridiculous. It essentially guarentees you're without energy should an enemy Titan round the corner. It's idiocy for cannon fodder to leave you essentially defenseless, because it discourages you from engaging, or hell even flanking, if you see any.

I can see that argument, but it's a risk/reward scenario right? If you're doing Bounty Hunt/Attrition, do you go for the score or do you play it safe an leave your options open, just in case?
I personally love having to make those split-second decisions and it helps the game, IMHO

I can see that argument, but it's a risk/reward scenario right? If you're doing Bounty Hunt/Attrition, do you go for the score or do you play it safe an leave your options open, just in case?
I personally love having to make those split-second decisions and it helps the game, IMHO

That would be fine if you weren't also taking pretty significant damage from them.

The decision isn't 'do I engage this Reaper or not', the decision is generally 'I could do this thing...ah there are Reaper's there, I don't want the hassle'. Whether that's opting not to take a flanking route when you see it's lined with Reapers, or not pushing on a vulnerable Titan cause there happened to be a Reaper or two around, or trying to escape an engagement, only to turn around into a Reaper blasting you.

In all these cases, it's interfering with the gameplay loop, not adding to it. It's encouraging players NOT to engage, NOT to experiment or use all the options as far as pathways or flank routes, simply by being such a fucking annoyance.

It would be one thing if you could hack Reapers to follow you or something, so that the player actually has an active part in their positioning, but generally it's dumb luck as to whether you happen to cross them at a good time or not.

And for the love of god, the collision is terrible. Friendly Reapers come in behind you and then get you killed in the middle of a circle strafe or retreat. They're a third of the size of a Titan at best, if I back into one it should back up I shouldn't stop dead. Running into one while sprinting should knock them over, as should meleeing them. Just to stun them and give you time to move past.

Alx

I like fighting reapers myself. They're a good source of attrition points, and deal enough damage to be more than cannon fodder. They're a good natural counter against campers and turrets, too.
At first I thought they were dealing too much damage to titans, but once you figure out their pattern it's quite easy to dance around them or stagger them.

Donos

I also like the Reapers. It's always a good scare when you are on top of a building and one of them jumps right in front you.

So is the 2xp reward in advocat gifts broken? I managed to get exactly one so far in all my playtime. They don't need to hand them out like candy but this seems super rare.

bigJP

agree on reapers. scorch is my titan and having to use my firewall, flame shield or main gun is a waste on them. they can easily evade my launcher and because i need to reload my gun after every shot, it leaves me vulnerable to on coming titans.

on a side note, whats the best way to rank up titans? starting to feel like a grind

jm89

Fuck the reapers, my legion power shot blows those fuckers away easy. I think reapers should be limited to attacking titans and do reduced damage, fighting a reaper as a pilot is unfair and not worth the 5 points that you could get killing another pilot.

Greddleok

agree on reapers. scorch is my titan and having to use my firewall, flame shield or main gun is a waste on them. they can easily evade my launcher and because i need to reload my gun after every shot, it leaves me vulnerable to on coming titans.

on a side note, whats the best way to rank up titans? starting to feel like a grind

For me, it's just get a shit ton of kills, preferably titan kills. I think it's quite hard with Scorch because you don't get so many killing blows. Ronin (especially nuclear eject Ronin) on the other hand gets a ton of killing blows through executions (and explosions).

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think pilot kills as a titan net much XP for the titan.

Fuck the reapers, my legion power shot blows those fuckers away easy. I think reapers should be limited to attacking titans and do reduced damage, fighting a reaper as a pilot is unfair and not worth the 5 points that you could get killing another pilot.

I so rarely engage reapers as a pilot I don't think it matters. The only time I do is when I see one at low health, and just throw a few MGL shots its way as I pass by. They're super easy to avoid as a pilot, and don't really attack you all that much. Definitely wouldn't waste time shooting one if it was full health, it'd take forever to die.

bigJP

For me, it's just get a shit ton of kills, preferably titan kills. I think it's quite hard with Scorch because you don't get so many killing blows. Ronin (especially nuclear eject Ronin) on the other hand gets a ton of killing blows through executions (and explosions).

Don't quote me on this, but I don't think pilot kills as a titan net much XP for the titan.

I so rarely engage reapers as a pilot I don't think it matters. The only time I do is when I see one at low health, and just throw a few MGL shots its way as I pass by. They're super easy to avoid as a pilot, and don't really attack you all that much. Definitely wouldn't waste time shooting one if it was full health, it'd take forever to die.

i usually do quite well with scorch. usually get 2-3 titan kills a game (in attrition).

Gator86

That would be fine if you weren't also taking pretty significant damage from them.

The decision isn't 'do I engage this Reaper or not', the decision is generally 'I could do this thing...ah there are Reaper's there, I don't want the hassle'. Whether that's opting not to take a flanking route when you see it's lined with Reapers, or not pushing on a vulnerable Titan cause there happened to be a Reaper or two around, or trying to escape an engagement, only to turn around into a Reaper blasting you.

In all these cases, it's interfering with the gameplay loop, not adding to it. It's encouraging players NOT to engage, NOT to experiment or use all the options as far as pathways or flank routes, simply by being such a fucking annoyance.

It would be one thing if you could hack Reapers to follow you or something, so that the player actually has an active part in their positioning, but generally it's dumb luck as to whether you happen to cross them at a good time or not.

And for the love of god, the collision is terrible. Friendly Reapers come in behind you and then get you killed in the middle of a circle strafe or retreat. They're a third of the size of a Titan at best, if I back into one it should back up I shouldn't stop dead. Running into one while sprinting should knock them over, as should meleeing them. Just to stun them and give you time to move past.

I posted about that in OT1 all the time. It's simply mind-boggling anyone at Respawn thought this is okay. Getting penned in by friendly reapers, completely out of your control, is one of the most frustrating things I've encountered in any game. The ogre class Titans are already damn near immobile, then you add reapers and garbage maps, like trash site, and it's just a recipe for irritation.

tsundoku

Reapers.

*facepalm*

They're trivial for anyone but Tone to kill and I think that's pretty much explicitly the point.

e: also Tone is still bad, Crash Site is perfectly fine and the stupid office is the only really really bad map.

If you're getting penned in by Reapers you must be playing in lobbies full of idiots who hate trivial easy points from reapers, I've won tons of matches by sealing in a solid 30-40 points in the last few min from reapers

Greddleok

i usually do quite well with scorch. usually get 2-3 titan kills a game (in attrition).

That's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but not your fault, it's just the nature of Scorch. It's much, much harder to get killing blows compared to Tone and Ronin. Scorch can do a ton of damage though.

I actually love doing a Scorch/Ronin buddy team. Working together those guys annihilate anything. Ronin can jump in and distract the other titans while the Scorch just starts laying down fire. Then Ronin can stay alive by phasing/executing. Works really nicely. Poor Scorch player gets no killing blows though!

All opinion though! Some pro Scorch player could come and tell me I'm completely wrong. Especially if you were to play really aggressively and just flame shield everyone.

That's not a lot in the grand scheme of things, but not your fault, it's just the nature of Scorch. It's much, much harder to get killing blows compared to Tone and Ronin. Scorch can do a ton of damage though.

I actually love doing a Scorch/Ronin buddy team. Working together those guys annihilate anything. Ronin can jump in and distract the other titans while the Scorch just starts laying down fire. Then Ronin can stay alive by phasing/executing. Works really nicely. Poor Scorch player gets no killing blows though!

All opinion though! Some pro Scorch player could come and tell me I'm completely wrong. Especially if you were to play really aggressively and just flame shield everyone.

Yes, flank and get into everyone's face.

bigJP

i agree. 2-3 is my average with a shit ton of assists. flame shield is the way to go with extra dash. in last titan standing, i usually have the highest damage output
im a G6 scorch but hell is it slow to level up

psyfi

Banned
Any PS4 players have thoughts on the field of view slider? Should I bump it up a bit? How bad is the performance hit? I'm on PS4 Pro if that makes a difference.

And any advice on which titan to use if I plan on ignoring it and letting it follow me around in auto-pilot? I really hate piloting titans, and while I'm usually in the top three on my team, I'd like to know how to make my titan as deadly as possibly to be even more useful to my team.

Gator86

Any PS4 players have thoughts on the field of view slider? Should I bump it up a bit? How bad is the performance hit? I'm on PS4 Pro if that makes a difference.

And any advice on which titan to use if I plan on ignoring it and letting it follow me around in auto-pilot? I really hate piloting titans, and while I'm usually in the top three on my team, I'd like to know how to make my titan as deadly as possibly to be even more useful to my team.

I'd definitely bump it up. I think I'm at 100 now, but I'm out and can't check. Higher than that and I've found the game takes this weird fish eye perspective and it becomes unplayable for me.

Greddleok

I don't think TF2 has any viable options for titan autopilot. The autotitans are such easy kills that you'll lose it pretty much as soon as it drops.

Go 110, turn it down if you start to have motion sickness, performance hit is neligible on PS4.

Don't leave your Titan on auto, it is free kill for anyone. For guides watch FrothyOmen's Titan master guide.

psyfi

Banned
Yeah, for a while I wasn't dropping my titan at all because I was worried it was easy points for the enemy team. Should I stick with that plan? I'll try titans again eventually, but running around as pilot is so fun, and I'm still consistently outscoring my team, so I don't worry about it too much.

Eurgh.

For the past couple of days whenever I have jumped on, the number of people online has been tiny (sub 8k) and it's taken forever to find a game. When I've found a game, as before, I've been thrown into games that are half over. To whoever said it doesn't count as a loss, it might be that way in certain game modes, but not Bounty Hunt.

My most recent game - was thrown into a game where the score was 3000-400, with the other team having another 1k or so ready to be banked on top of their 3k. Game was over shortly after and it counted as a loss.

What with this happening all the time for me, the lack of updates (when are the remaining Prime skins and 10+ gens coming?) it's really trying my patience to stick with it. :(

grendelrt

Eurgh.

For the past couple of days whenever I have jumped on, the number of people online has been tiny (sub 8k) and it's taken forever to find a game. When I've found a game, as before, I've been thrown into games that are half over. To whoever said it doesn't count as a loss, it might be that way in certain game modes, but not Bounty Hunt.

My most recent game - was thrown into a game where the score was 3000-400, with the other team having another 1k or so ready to be banked on top of their 3k. Game was over shortly after and it counted as a loss.

What with this happening all the time for me, the lack of updates (when are the remaining Prime skins and 10+ gens coming?) it's really trying my patience to stick with it. :(
I've had Attrition games where I got the message saying it wouldnt be a loss but it still showed as a game played and not a win so in essence a loss. Don't know if it only takes it into account when building the % win or not.

Arrrammis

As much as I love this game and Respawn, I've pretty much stopped playing unless I have a friend or two online. The random teams I get matched with and the joining in progress is just not so fun after a point. I get why that kind of thing happens (you want teams to be balanced so you have to outweigh new players with experienced ones, and you want teams to have a chance even if someone leaves), but it still kinda puts a damper on everything.

I've found that queueing with 1-2 other players helps a lot. I have never joined a match in progress when duo or trio queueing, and having someone on your team who you can rely on is really nice. I can't speak for Xbox or PC, but there's almost always 1 or 2 people online in the Gaf network on PS4, and people will usually be willing to group up if you invite them.

As much as I love this game and Respawn, I've pretty much stopped playing unless I have a friend or two online. The random teams I get matched with and the joining in progress is just not so fun after a point. I get why that kind of thing happens (you want teams to be balanced so you have to outweigh new players with experienced ones, and you want teams to have a chance even if someone leaves), but it still kinda puts a damper on everything.

I've found that queueing with 1-2 other players helps a lot. I have never joined a match in progress when duo or trio queueing, and having someone on your team who you can rely on is really nice. I can't speak for Xbox or PC, but there's almost always 1 or 2 people online in the Gaf network on PS4, and people will usually be willing to group up if you invite them.

I still don't know if it's shit luck or just awful matchmaking, but I only encounter full parties when I'm playing with 1 or 2 other friends... and most often, the randoms that fill in on my team are absolute shit.

As soon as i get a full team of friends we just run over everyone else, because now we're the full party only getting randoms. It's just ridiculously bad and annoying. I want good matches damn it.

Arrrammis

I still don't know if it's shit luck or just awful matchmaking, but I only encounter full parties when I'm playing with 1 or 2 other friends... and most often, the randoms that fill in on my team are absolute shit.

As soon as i get a full team of friends we just run over everyone else, because now we're the full party only getting randoms. It's just ridiculously bad and annoying. I want good matches damn it.

I've found that groups of 2 or 3 are the sweet spot. We typically run into groups of 2-4 players, and I don't think we run into many full teams. The matchmaker at least seems like it prioritizes putting groups against groups, which is really nice (I don't know if I've ever faced a full team when solo'ing, just the occasional 2-4 person group). I agree on the full group stuff, I have had full Gaf groups and we spent more time fighting eachother over kills then we did facing enemies, it's kinda funny at first, but after 5 straight games of that same thing, it gets old, and we kinda just split up into smaller groups.

psyfi, I was player like you for the first month I played this game. Whenever I played Attrition I wouldn't call my Titan or called it and didn't ride it half the time. I played PvP 70% of the time so I didn't care. But eventually I wanted to become a more complete player plus I found PvP to be kind of stressful. I started grinding Attrition and focused on getting better in Titan combat and it's been a very helpful. I've had plenty of bad starts as a pilot but was able to make up for it when I got my Titan and finish as the MVP or in the overall top 3.

As for FOV, I bumped mine to 90 at first but now I have it at 100. I tried 110 but it made the screen look too distorted and I found it to be too distracting. But increasing the FOV helps since it allows you to see more of your surrounding. It also makes you look like you're moving faster even though you're not actually moving any faster. That alone makes the game more fun for me.

I had a string of matches the other night, like 6 or 7, where the match began 5 on 6 or 4 on 6. And there was no 'connecting' message in the final spot. The game was just like '*shrugs* this is fine'.

It wasnt a big deal. We won some of them. But it feels like whatever half-finished skeleton of a matchmaking system is in this game is struggling with the shrinking population or something.

Is there a way to tell if you're up against a team in the UI or something? I honestly haven't paid attention.

No fool-proof method but if they all have the same Network tag and all have the chat symbol beside their name its a good bet.

Its possible if you see a full team of chat symbols in different Networks but less likely.

Also, if you face off against a 6-stack of people from the Network DADS, then get ready to boost your K/D. Ive never encountered anybody from that network would wasnt hilariously terrible.

Arrrammis

Is there a way to tell if you're up against a team in the UI or something? I honestly haven't paid attention.

Usually I just assume that if there is more than one player on a team from the same network network besides [ADV], then they're grouped up.

psyfi

Banned
psyfi, I was player like you for the first month I played this game. Whenever I played Attrition I wouldn't call my Titan or called it and didn't ride it half the time. I played PvP 70% of the time so I didn't care. But eventually I wanted to become a more complete player plus I found PvP to be kind of stressful. I started grinding Attrition and focused on getting better in Titan combat and it's been a very helpful. I've had plenty of bad starts as a pilot but was able to make up for it when I got my Titan.

As for FOV, I bumped mine to 90 at first but now I have it at 100. I tried 110 but it made the screen look too distorted and I found it to be too distracting. But increasing the FOV helps since it allows you to see more of your surrounding. It also makes you look like you're moving faster even though you're not actually moving any faster. That alone makes the game more fun for me.
Cool, thanks for the response. I found the game overwhelming and overly hectic at first, but I'm pretty much totally confident now. I'm constantly out maneuvering / evading / flanking other players, I feel like the god damn Predator, haha.

I'll try titans out again next time I get a decent chunk of time to play. I really need to learn them,I just don't want to, haha. I've always hated mechs in games, but I thought TF might be different. Hopefully it is.

I still enjoy playing as a Pilot to be a lot more fun but I've learned to enjoy playing as a Titan. It will be very beneficial to improve your Titan gameplay if you mainly play Titan modes and want to be near the top of the scoreboard. And to be honest, wanting to be at or near the top is what finally forced me to get better with Titans. It will be hard to earn those MVP's without multiple Titan kills which are more likely to be had playing as a Titan. Plus pilots are at your mercy if they're grounded against you.

I wouldn't consider myself a good player but I'm constantly in the overall top 3 in public matches in Attrition. And I think it's mainly due to putting in the time and effort towards improving my Titan combat. And only playing as Tone didn't hurt lol.

Rayme, anybody, I need help.

What constitutes a 'Killing Spree', specifically as a Titan?

Now that I've been forced to restart from scratch, I've been keeping an eye on my BAE Ion skin, the Desert Storm military skin for 100 killing sprees. I actually unlocked this one without even noticing on my first go round, as I was fixated on ReGen skins and decals. But by 10.50, it was go to.

Problem is, I can't tell what the hell a killing spree is. because there have been matches where I barely remember going on any Titan runs where I see the number tick up, and matches where I spend 75% of the match in the same Titan wrecking pilots on the ground, and Titans (and both at the same time... thank you Ion Laser :D).

It just seems random. Came out of a match where I spent the whole match in my first Titan, got 17 pilot kills, at least 10 of which were in the Titan, but that doesn't count as a spree?

Is there a timing element? How close together do the kills have to be? Do Titan kills count? Do pilot kills INSIDE their Titan count? How many is a spree?

Thanks

Rayme, anybody, I need help.

What constitutes a 'Killing Spree', specifically as a Titan?

Now that I've been forced to restart from scratch, I've been keeping an eye on my BAE Ion skin, the Desert Storm military skin for 100 killing sprees. I actually unlocked this one without even noticing on my first go round, as I was fixated on ReGen skins and decals. But by 10.50, it was go to.

Problem is, I can't tell what the hell a killing spree is. because there have been matches where I barely remember going on any Titan runs where I see the number tick up, and matches where I spend 75% of the match in the same Titan wrecking pilots on the ground, and Titans (and both at the same time... thank you Ion Laser :D).

It just seems random. Came out of a match where I spent the whole match in my first Titan, got 17 pilot kills, at least 10 of which were in the Titan, but that doesn't count as a spree?

Is there a timing element? How close together do the kills have to be? Do Titan kills count? Do pilot kills INSIDE their Titan count? How many is a spree?

Thanks
Killing 3 player controlled enemies, both pilots and titans in one life counts as a killing spree, but one streak only counts as one spree. So if you want to level up spree challenges you need to die more lol.

Killing 3 player controlled enemies, both pilots and titans in one life counts as a killing spree, but one streak only counts as one spree. So if you want to level up spree challenges you need to die more lol.

Ok, thanks. Just to be clear, if I have an active killspree as a pilot and then jump into a Titan, I can still get the Titan killspree right? I dont have to die and end the pilot kill spree to start the Titan kill spree?

Ok, thanks. Just to be clear, if I have an active killspree as a pilot and then jump into a Titan, I can still get the Titan killspree right? I dont have to die and end the pilot kill spree to start the Titan kill spree?

No, killing either pilot or a titan counts into a spree, you can kill 2 pilots then a titan, and it will count as a killing spree, there are no "pilot spree" or "titan spree". The killing spree challenge will count when you get the spree medal when in a titan.

No, killing either pilot or a titan counts into a spree, you can kill 2 pilots then a titan, and it will count as a killing spree, there are no "pilot spree" or "titan spree". The killing spree challenge will count when you get the spree medal when in a titan.

Oh jeez. That is really irritating. So I basically gotta die before calling a Titan, or make sure I'm not on a spree...which I'm gonna be honest, probably not going to command my attention in the middle of firefights. Thanks for the info

Top Bottom