• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Titanfall 2 - SP Campaign Gameplay

i think you could in Titanfall actually by mitigating any skill gaps with proper matchmaking. Right now the top xbone titanfall players would probably beat the best remaining PC players to be honest.

I'm not sure how a controller player could beat something like these

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PgEw386nH0

Yes I know TF1 is very controller friendly, I personally had 300 hours in TF1 on PC with a controller and maintained a 60% winrate and a 2.8K/D, but I still won't consider controller players being any competitive in high level games. TF1 PC controller players were lucky enough to not had a uproar from KB/M players on how aggressive the aim assist is, like what happened in the PC Black Ops 3 community.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PgEw386nH0

Yes I know TF1 is very controller friendly, I personally had 300 hours in TF1 on PC with a controller and maintained a 60% winrate and a 2.8K/D, but I still won't consider controller players being any competitive in high level games. TF1 PC controller players were lucky enough to not had a uproar from KB/M players on how aggressive the aim assist is, like what happened in the PC Black Ops 3 community.

I feel like you answered your own question here, the top 2 clips in that top 5 are Xbox controllers, and controllers have massive aim assist. Though actually the top clip he turns off aim assist by going to 'insane' sensitivity when hopping into his titan. Which is smart, because aim assist hurts more than it helps with a 40mm. For anything that isn't hitscan, or for the smart pistol where you don't have to stay on target, m+k is unambiguously better. For other stuff controllers are more than competitive because the aim assist is insanely strong.

Then there was this: http://www.dailydot.com/esports/titanfall-exertus-free-refills-pc-console/ , admittedly from fairly early in the game's life but then again let's face it the eSports try hard crowd moved on from Titanfall not long after.

I feel like you answered your own question here, the top 2 clips in that top 5 are Xbox controllers, and controllers have massive aim assist. Though actually the top clip he turns off aim assist by going to 'insane' sensitivity when hopping into his titan. Which is smart, because aim assist hurts more than it helps with a 40mm. For anything that isn't hitscan, or for the smart pistol where you don't have to stay on target, m+k is unambiguously better. For other stuff controllers are more than competitive because the aim assist is insanely strong.

Then there was this: http://www.dailydot.com/esports/titanfall-exertus-free-refills-pc-console/ , admittedly from fairly early in the game's life but then again let's face it the eSports try hard crowd moved on from Titanfall not long after.

Yeah sure, but Titan combat is only part of the game and in pilot engagements KB/M smoke controllers no matter what.

jesu

I always said Titanfall 2 didn't need a SP campaign but I have to admit, I'm looking forward to it now!

Yeah sure, but Titan combat is only part of the game and in pilot engagements KB/M smoke controllers no matter what.
Not really, because of how the aim assist glues you to a target if you snap onto someone, even if they're moving pretty well, and if even if they're popping stim, with a controller you have a pretty good chance to kill them. On m+k it's pretty hard to track moving targets because of how fast the game is. Even at the top end I think controller players probably have faster effective TTK because of that. The stickiness of the aim assist is hard to overstate. It's kind of a pointless debate. Sure, we know m+k is fundamentally faster and more accurate and of course will win with no aim assist across both. At some point if you give a controller enough aim assist vs no aim assist m+k, the controller will win.

Not really, because of how the aim assist glues you to a target if you snap onto someone, even if they're moving pretty well, and if even if they're popping stim, with a controller you have a pretty good chance to kill them. On m+k it's pretty hard to track moving targets because of how fast the game is. Even at the top end I think controller players probably have faster effective TTK because of that. The stickiness of the aim assist is hard to overstate. It's kind of a pointless debate. Sure, we know m+k is fundamentally faster and more accurate and of course will win with no aim assist across both. At some point if you give a controller enough aim assist vs no aim assist m+k, the controller will win.

Aim assist works best vs stationary or relatively slow moving targets (for example Titans) but will struggle to track fast moving ones, which is exactly what Titanfall's high level pilots do. Roughly a year after release on PC I start to lose significantly more pilot engagements with a controller, solely because everyone starts to use advanced movement techniques at Plat rank or above, plus the weapon meta moving to G2A4 further titled the favor towards KB/M as they have massive precision advantage in long range engagements. And in close quarters combat Smart Pistol and the SMGs are plain broken with a mouse.

Also, what we are talking about is based on high level play, the skill/precision gap will be significantly larger in lower skill ranges, especially on consoles. High level controller players could hold their own against good KB/M players with the help of aim assist but good/average KB/M users will absolutely smoke every console player below that, and that could destroy the grass root player base on consoles. And we are not even accounting for the advantages of high refresh rate monitors, higher resolution and draw distance, etc.

Aim assist works best vs stationary or relatively slow moving targets (for example Titans) but will struggle to track fast moving ones, which is exactly what Titanfall's high level pilots do.
I don't see the reasoning behind this. Aim assist is great at helping you track moving targets. Stationary targets are easy, especially in a game with virtually no recoil.
Roughly a year after release on PC I start to lose significantly more pilot engagements with a controller, solely because everyone starts to use advanced movement techniques at Plat rank or above, plus the weapon meta moving to G2A4 further titled the favor towards KB/M as they have massive precision advantage in long range engagements. And in close quarters combat Smart Pistol and the SMGs are plain broken with a mouse.
So aim assist doesn't even the playing field in this game... but it took m+k players a full *year* to catch up with you. Right.
Also, what we are talking about is based on high level play, the skill/precision gap will be significantly larger in lower skill ranges, especially on consoles. High level controller players could hold their own against good KB/M players with the help of aim assist but good/average KB/M users will absolutely smoke every console player below that, and that could destroy the grass root player base on consoles. And we are not even accounting for the advantages of high refresh rate monitors, higher resolution and draw distance, etc.
Well, the controller issue isn't inexorably tied to the platform. But yes, a good PC build gives an advantage over an Xbox One or over a bad PC build. That much is true. As for mid-low tier players... c'mon now. Bad PC players are trash. Bad PC players are often times getting worse performance than Xbox One players because their PCs are fucked. Bad mouse + keyboard players can't aim and don't even have the hope of aim assist stringing together a couple of shots in a row for a kill.

RedRum

Banned

Controller all day Pegassus. All. Day.

bj00rn_

Banned
Surprisingly refreshing. Wasn't interested in the first because of lack of sp campaign, but this one looks awesome.

SwolBro

Banned
Not a chance.
dude, i've seen players like Nykeo play in your pugs recently and end up being at the top of the kill count. Though a decent player he's not in the top tier on console.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6PgEw386nH0 Not sure what you're linking at? there's controller players in that list, and everything there can be done by console players.

Not sure you realize that you linked to something that has controller players in it. Plus, everything in that vid can be done with a controller. I've seen plenty of Pug vids from the PC players. i'm not saying PC players wouldn't eventually win out given a bigger talent pool dedicated to try hard status but i think in general the populations could coexist in a cross play environment given proper matchmaking implementation.

dude, i've seen players like Nykeo play in your pugs recently and end up being at the top of the kill count. Though a decent player he's not in the top tier on console.

Not sure you realize that you linked to something that has controller players in it. Plus, everything in that vid can be done with a controller. I've seen plenty of Pug vids from the PC players. i'm not saying PC players wouldn't eventually win out given a bigger talent pool dedicated to try hard status but i think in general the populations could coexist in a cross play environment given proper matchmaking implementation.

I don't know, it is a very complicated topic that's probably beyond discussion without a lot of trial and error, I just don't see it being very viable in the long term.

Applesauce

Boom! Bitch-slapped!
Those wall running gifts look amazing.. I wonder if it'll be possible to wallrun entire levels in sp or mp.. Take sp speed runs to a new level!

In the first game many of the maps were designed so that you could travel from one end to the other (or come pretty close) without touching the ground. Back in the original OT there were players pulling off some sick wall run chains. I don't expect that to change in the sequel.

as a guy who grew up in the 80's i'd like to roundhouse kick some guys in this thread, saying the graphics look weak/lame/generic/whatev, back to that decade for a month to teach them how ridiculously good everything looks these days.

I guess i can see an argument where my standard to measure against is unfair for all kinds of valid reasons, but i don't care. It really is a great time to be alive guys. Better appreciate.

Correction, not a chance without aim assist. I recently experimented with the controller and it's ludicrous how much it helps with the g2 or the carbine, especially in high ping matches. Running, however, cannot be matched on controller. My personal preference would be for there to be no aim assist in the PC version of the game.

Why is it every titanfall thread people think controller players could have a chance against KBM. It's not even funny anymore. What the actual is going on with this mentality.

SwolBro

Banned
Correction, not a chance without aim assist. I recently experimented with the controller and it's ludicrous how much it helps with the g2 or the carbine, especially in high ping matches. Running, however, cannot be matched on controller. My personal preference would be for there to be no aim assist in the PC version of the game.
obviously dude. no aim assist with controller is like using a mouse with your feet. come on.

Why is it every titanfall thread people think controller players could have a chance against KBM. It's not even funny anymore. What the actual is going on with this mentality.
because titanfall isn't a headshot based game and i clearly stated that with the CURRENT crop of players on each side that console would not only keep up but i think would win out against the better PC players.

But if the talent pool increased then yes there's no chance the better console players could compete with majority of good kb/m players but it doesn't mean with balanced matchmaking there couldn't be cross play.

BigEmil

This is the best COD alternative/replacement out there for me. I love twitch style shooters, COD and Titanfall are the closest in this aspect but Titanfall 2 seems so much better I cannot wait

In a game like COD or Titanfall (pilot v pilot situations), all that matters is positioning and who sees who first. Kb/m players won't have too much of an advantage against controller players.

Chittagong

Gold Member
I'm surprisingly excited for this. I bought Titanfall but never got into it as the learning curve straight to MP seemed too intimidating. SP is a great way to learn the ropes.

GametimeUK

I'm really disappointed that resources are being wasted on a single player campaign instead of being used to better the multiplayer component. I 100% would have preferred more multiplayer content instead, but it is what it is.

This is what happens when people complain about games that weren't even targeted at them in the first place. You don't see me wanting to force multiplayer to every single player game.

Newlove

I'm really disappointed that resources are being wasted on a single player campaign instead of being used to better the multiplayer component. I 100% would have preferred more multiplayer content instead, but it is what it is.

This is what happens when people complain about games that weren't even targeted at them in the first place. You don't see me wanting to force multiplayer to every single player game.

Who said there isn't more MP content than TF1? The no.1 thing they are addressing is more customisation and reward for persistence. I liked TF1 and felt a better campaign would be nice. But apparently thats invalid as one of my favourite shooters wasn't targeted at me.

Maybe, but it could also result in one of the best single players of the year. So far it's looking really good, so we'll see if it paid off.

xRaizen

You know that would be cool and all but Titanfall 1 proved to be pretty low on content even without a single player, so... it's not like they'd have to do much to have more MP content than the first game.

GametimeUK

Who said there isn't more MP content than TF1? The no.1 thing they are addressing is more customisation and reward for persistence. I liked TF1 and felt a better campaign would be nice. But apparently thats invalid as one of my favourite shooters wasn't targeted at me.

I didn't compare the amount of game content to Titanfall 1. What I'm saying is I would rather them not focus on single player and work double on multiplayer in Titanfall 2. It is (was) a multiplayer focused shooter and I'm a believer of multiplayer only games when the time is right. I'm happy for people that like campaign modes, but at the same time I'd like to see them people just accepting that multiplayer only games are okay too instead of trying to force a campaign on to every game.

Oh and @xraizen, yea TF1 was low on multiplayer content, but that's something that in an ideal world could be addressed in this sequel. It's not just map and gun count though, the resources from making a campaign could have gone in to making the maps more balanced etc and a number of other things. Obviously I'm talking about an ideal world here as far as Multiplayer is concerned.

obviously dude. no aim assist with controller is like using a mouse with your feet. come on.

because titanfall isn't a headshot based game and i clearly stated that with the CURRENT crop of players on each side that console would not only keep up but i think would win out against the better PC players.

But if the talent pool increased then yes there's no chance the better console players could compete with majority of good kb/m players but it doesn't mean with balanced matchmaking there couldn't be cross play.

What I'm trying to say is that the actual level of play remains higher on PC than on console due to the much greater mobility you see there. At least, that's been my experience after playing the Xbox version a good amount recently.

SwolBro

Banned
What I'm trying to say is that the actual level of play remains higher on PC than on console due to the much greater mobility you see there. At least, that's been my experience after playing the Xbox version a good amount recently.
Well, what are you playing? Are you playing CTF or attrition on xbox? the mobility will always be better on PC, i agree. i think everything else is pretty even though and the top players on xbox for the last year will beat the top players still remaining on PC. I'm confident on that one.
By the way what's your name on live?

I agree with you for the most part but the thing is the game needed a single player to help new people acclimate. It's infuriating watching new players, and even players with a dozens and dozens of hours still not know some of the basic mechanics and elements of the game.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

They've stated for a long time that they wanted to do a single player component for Titanfall, they just didn't have the resources to do it with the first game. I don't think this is a response to the complaints, just a result of having a base to build on for MP, an engine up and running, and a bigger budget so they can do what they were initially planning.

Well, what are you playing? Are you playing CTF or attrition on xbox? the mobility will always be better on PC, i agree. i think everything else is pretty even though and the top players on xbox for the last year will beat the top players still remaining on PC. I'm confident on that one.
By the way what's your name on live?
I agree with you for the most part but the thing is the game needed a single player to help new people acclimate. It's infuriating watching new players, and even players with a dozens and dozens of hours still not know some of the basic mechanics and elements of the game.

Been playing CTF exclusively.

because titanfall isn't a headshot based game.

I don't think you're that familiar with top level FPS play if you think that matters. Not only are mouse players going to have higher hit rates, but quicker reaction time, better situational awareness, higher precision, tighter movement....

Go watch overwatch player on PC and compare it to console. It's like a completely different game in terms of movement and aim, and that game has less technically difficult to perform maneuvers than TF and higher TTK which is more forgiving for slower aim.

Plenty of people have suggested OW be cross pc/console. And in OW threads those people are laughed away. I wish I could look up the big discrepancy between accuracy between PC and console. There is a couple sites that track that stuff but I'm not sure how to easily compare. I remember people saying there was like a 10-15% discrepancy though, and worse on some heroes like sniper heroes.

And lastly, like OW, I doubt if TF2 ever builds a strong competitive scene, they'll disable aim assist because it's possible to emulate a controller to get that aim assist while using a mouse.

I see how a controller player can compete in an environment where 99% of the population no longer plays the game. They'd get dominated hard if that changed. It wouldn't even take long for a good PC fpser from OW, dirty bomb, or a lot of skill based shooters to surpass them in TF1 or 2 even if they just started fresh.

Nice! I'm definitely getting BF1, for sure.
But I keep watching the MP trailer for this and MWR and I just can't pick. I'm sure I'll get BF1 and then MWR and get TF2 around christmas

Definitely a loaded year end. Modern Warfare R, New Call of Duty, Titanfall 2, Battlefield 1, Gears of War 4, more Overwatch stuff, etc.

Going to be interesting to see how all of this pans out. Titanfall went from a "I'll see how many players are on it" to "grab it because the SP looks great too". I know GOW4's mp is nice as well.

Good time to be interested in games.

I didn't compare the amount of game content to Titanfall 1. What I'm saying is I would rather them not focus on single player and work double on multiplayer in Titanfall 2. It is (was) a multiplayer focused shooter and I'm a believer of multiplayer only games when the time is right. I'm happy for people that like campaign modes, but at the same time I'd like to see them people just accepting that multiplayer only games are okay too instead of trying to force a campaign on to every game.

Oh and @xraizen, yea TF1 was low on multiplayer content, but that's something that in an ideal world could be addressed in this sequel. It's not just map and gun count though, the resources from making a campaign could have gone in to making the maps more balanced etc and a number of other things. Obviously I'm talking about an ideal world here as far as Multiplayer is concerned.

TF1 was never a pure MP shooter in the first place. Respawn wanted to do a SP campaign in TF1 but due to the lawsuit vs Activision, internal turmoil and change of engines they didn't have the money and time to make one. The MP campaign was a compromise to that.

Why does this have to come out so close to BF1 and IF/MW:remastered... :(
It's so hard to choose between this and MW1.
Is it though? I mean let's see, the lineage from MW1 leads to Titanfall 2 a lot more than it does to Infinite Warfare. MW1 is being remastered by people who had nothing to do with the original. It's cynically bundled with IW just to get people to buy a game they otherwise probably aren't all that interested in after not liking Ghosts. And they said "fuck it, giving you all the multiplayer maps from the original is too much fucking work".

Don't be on the wrong side of history here. Do the right thing, Titanfall 2 in 2016!

Rockondevil

I really enjoyed the first just sadly not enough people I know played it so I probably didn't play it as much as I'd've liked to.
This one is looking loads better on an already great game and even the single player looks great.

Can't wait. Damn shame it comes out so close to BF1. Going to be hard to split time between them. What were you thinking EA.

SwolBro

Banned
Been playing CTF exclusively.
what's your gamertag?

I don't think you're that familiar with top level FPS play if you think that matters. Not only are mouse players going to have higher hit rates, but quicker reaction time, better situational awareness, higher precision, tighter movement....

Go watch overwatch player on PC and compare it to console. It's like a completely different game in terms of movement and aim, and that game has less technically difficult to perform maneuvers than TF and higher TTK which is more forgiving for slower aim.

Plenty of people have suggested OW be cross pc/console. And in OW threads those people are laughed away. I wish I could look up the big discrepancy between accuracy between PC and console. There is a couple sites that track that stuff but I'm not sure how to easily compare. I remember people saying there was like a 10-15% discrepancy though, and worse on some heroes like sniper heroes.

And lastly, like OW, I doubt if TF2 ever builds a strong competitive scene, they'll disable aim assist because it's possible to emulate a controller to get that aim assist while using a mouse.

I see how a controller player can compete in an environment where 99% of the population no longer plays the game. They'd get dominated hard if that changed. It wouldn't even take long for a good PC fpser from OW, dirty bomb, or a lot of skill based shooters to surpass them in TF1 or 2 even if they just started fresh.

Apparently people choose to not read what i say. Didn't i say if the talent pool increased that things would change and that console players wouldn't keep up? Yes, i did. I know what would happen, i took part in a many ShadowRun (360) PC vs Console games.

I'm talking from the aspect of how the game is NOW. If the PC population doesn't explode for the second game cross play wouldn't be a bad idea. It would keep the PC game alive. I doubt it will reach Overwatch PC levels of popularity.

THEaaron

Gosh. Loved Titanfall so much. But this release window.. lol. No way I'll play this when the majority of my mates is playing bf1.

what's your gamertag?

Apparently people choose to not read what i say. Didn't i say if the talent pool increased that things would change and that console players wouldn't keep up? Yes, i did. I know what would happen, i took part in a many ShadowRun (360) PC vs Console games.

I'm talking from the aspect of how the game is NOW. If the PC population doesn't explode for the second game cross play wouldn't be a bad idea. It would keep the PC game alive. I doubt it will reach Overwatch PC levels of popularity.

I did read what you said... and I agreed with you in the last paragraph of what I said, "I see..."

I was mostly disagreeing with you how you said that the game is not about headshots, as if that made a difference to the balance between KBM and controller.

what's your gamertag?

In my profile.

Top Bottom