• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Factions "it's dead now"

ProtoByte

They stated that the reason for the omission was because a much more ambitious multiplayer offering was in the works. Now that it seems unlikely Factions will ever see the light of day, it makes the sting of not having a "normal" multiplayer experience in TLoU2 all the worse.

"Hey buddy, we know you wanted fries with your burger, but if you wait 30 minutes we'll give you a much more delicious side of chicken nuggets"

*30 minutes later*

"Sorry pal, seems the chicken nuggets are not coming after all. Hope the burger was alright"

Me: "Can I have my fries then?"

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
What a stupid analogy. You didn't pay for the fries or the nuggets.

Same lesson over and over again, predominantly sp devs cannot and should not be making a gaas game. Bioware learn it with Anthem; Crystal Dynamics with Avengers; Arkane with Redfall and now Naughty Dog.

The best gaas were always from studios that already were good at mp. Bungie, epic, Respawn, once upon a time Blizzard.
This. A butcher shouldn't suddenly start selling vegetables.

Can't these clowns release any decent mp games anymore???

What is this shitshow?? Are all Sony related developers too incompetent for multiplayer games???

No wonder we can't get a Socom Remake or a new Socom game. F******* idiots.

Respawn was a studio built on multiplayer. Totally different situations. Unlike some people I actually think Jim Ryan is right to try and do some games as service stuff so my opinion is not that Sony should not develop GAAS. Just that Naughty Dog is not the studio to do it.

That makes a lot of sense to me too.

ProtoByte

This. A butcher shouldn't suddenly start selling vegetables.
When the vegetables are selling like hotcakes and making more profit than a years worth of meat, and when the cost and processing time of providing that meat is going up because the farmers want to do less work and be less stressed for the same amount of money or higher, any business savvy butcher is going to look into selling vegetables. To me, cilantro on the chili beef stew is basically a salad, and I don't need more of it, but people have rewarded vegetables too much not to have created incentives for ventures into them.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
It’s true. I hate that it’s the reality now but if your game doesn’t have a loot/xp/leveling treadmill you don’t really have a chance.

I don't think that's what they were referring to about "concerns over long term player engagement".

There are tons of failed multiplayer games with loot/xp/leveling. Healthy long term player engagement begins and ends with core game design. That's what Bungie identified as lacking.

Top Bottom