• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Factions "it's dead now"

Gudji

who is that GIF

Bartski

Gold Member
I honestly wouldn’t mind if their call to salvage it was to turn it into an MP mode for TLOU2:R, designed in a way so it doesn’t have to make all the money

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Dude... Factions was a huge favorite in the first game, and they more or less implied we were eventually getting a bigger, better version of that further down the road. Here we are years later with nothing to show. So incompetent at best or liars at worst. Either way, it's not a good look.

Having Naughty Dog try and make a GAAS game probably was a bad idea in general from management and the powers that be as their wheelhouse is strong, single-player games often with really fun MP vs. modes of some sort. I mean, I'd bet most people figured out a while ago that we weren't getting an addition to TLOU2, but the idea of a fully fledged Factions mode does sound enticing to me.

Bummer it didn't happen, but I'm not heartbroken about it.

Hey, not saying it wasn't anticipated, just that nothing was ever publicly shown.

I agree that much was implied, but in terms of something actually concrete... I didn't cite Scalebound as a sideways dig at Platinum or Xbox, but to point out that there is a whole bunch of stuff in the public domain showing that this was a game, and this is what it looked and played like at several points.

That's evidence of a whole lot of work that got flushed down the drain when the project got cancelled.

With Factions (or whatever it was going to be called, (because again it wasn't ever close enough to release to get an official name or a logo) who knows how far it ever got into production? For all we know the team may have been stuck producing prototype after prototype for years with publishing only allowing it to continue because they had an open slot for "TLOU themed multiplayer/GaaS".

Just because something is tied up in development hell for a long time, it doesn't necessarily follow that a lot of staff/resources were ever allocated to it, it could have just been a small team trying over and over to generate a satisfactory proof-of-concept.

Realistically that ND had the manpower spare to pull the TLOU part 1 dev for PC and PS5 away from VSG and back in house pretty much confirms they had idle capacity, on top of whatever continuity/new IP they were protoyping primarily.

Last edited:

wipeout364

Yep, do it like Respawn did with Apex Legends, stealth drop day one. After launch, sustain the shit out of the content.
Respawn was a studio built on multiplayer. Totally different situations. Unlike some people I actually think Jim Ryan is right to try and do some games as service stuff so my opinion is not that Sony should not develop GAAS. Just that Naughty Dog is not the studio to do it.

Respawn was a studio built on multiplayer. Totally different situations. Unlike some people I actually think Jim Ryan is right to try and do some games as service stuff so my opinion is not that Sony should not develop GAAS. Just that Naughty Dog is not the studio to do it.
Exactly. GaaS isn't in of itself bad, it's part of the system, makes sense for Sony to plant a flag and claim a space for the future. It's just a bad fit for ND to do that.

diffusionx

Gold Member
Sony is trying to get multiplayer games because their strategy of relying on 3rd party deals no longer works when you have a competitor that is willing to buy everybody. They can't rely on Microsoft's good graces for the most popular game on the service indefinitely.

It's really that simple. Valve started working on SteamOS when Microsoft released Windows 8. They did it because they saw a world where MS is releasing locked down Windows like Apple and they are just totally screwed. Win8 was an existential threat for Valve, similar to MS buying A-B/COD. Of course that didn't happen because Windows 8 was horrible and MS is incompetent, but that's what you need to do. And while SteamOS kind of sucked for a long time, the work is bearing fruit now.

No. It was never promised to TLOU 2 customers.
ND put out a statement on Twitter saying they did not include a multiplayer component in TLoU2 because the project was "too ambitious" and promised that the wait would be well worth it. Three years later, it seems we will get absolutely nothing for our wait and a standard multiplayer mode was not included in TLoU2 for no reason whatsoever. Seems like a classic bait-and-switch to me.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
ND put out a statement on Twitter saying they did not include a multiplayer component in TLoU2 because the project was "too ambitious" and promised that the wait would be well worth it. Three years later, it seems we will get absolutely nothing for our wait and a standard multiplayer mode was not included in TLoU2 for no reason whatsoever. Seems like a classic bait-and-switch to me.

Did you read that statement?

"The Last of Us Part II would not include an online mode."

This information was released 8 months before the release of TLOU 2. Where's the fake promise then?

The guy I responded to was saying that they promised TLOU 2 owners that they would get the multiplayer mode. That is not true, because they had confirmed 8 months before the release that TLOU 2 owners will only get the single-player campaign. So anyone who bought the game knew exactly what they were paying for.

Did you read that statement?

"The Last of Us Part II would not include an online mode."

This information was released 8 months before the release of TLOU 2. Where's the fake promise then?

The guy I responded to was saying that they promised TLOU 2 owners that they would get the multiplayer mode. That is not true, because they had confirmed 8 months before the release that TLOU 2 owners will only get the single-player campaign. So anyone who bought the game knew exactly what they were paying for.
They stated that the reason for the omission was because a much more ambitious multiplayer offering was in the works. Now that it seems unlikely Factions will ever see the light of day, it makes the sting of not having a "normal" multiplayer experience in TLoU2 all the worse.

"Hey buddy, we know you wanted fries with your burger, but if you wait 30 minutes we'll give you a much more delicious side of chicken nuggets"

*30 minutes later*

"Sorry pal, seems the chicken nuggets are not coming after all. Hope the burger was alright"

Me: "Can I have my fries then?"

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

I'm confused and maybe misread something but what does Bungie have to do with factions being canceled?
Sony acquired Bungie in big part because they are experts in GAAS and monetizing game experiences. It seems Sony tasked Bungie with overseeing all the first-party GAAS games in development to gauge whether they are up to task in the monetization department. According to rumors, Bungie did not like what Factions was shaping up to.

Last edited:
Sony acquired Bungie in big part because they are experts in GAAS and monetizing game experiences. It seems Sony tasked Bungie with overseeing all the first-party GAAS games in development to gauge whether they are up to task in the monetization department. According to rumors, Bungie did not like what Factions was shaping up to.
Sony send Bungie to analyze Factions for some GaaS metric because Bungie is already on this area for years now.

Bungie saw the Factions, don't approved.
Oh ok thanks

midnightAI

Sony send Bungie to analyze Factions for some GaaS metric because Bungie is already on this area for years now.

Bungie saw the Factions, don't approved.
Do we have proof of this? I keep reading it but I havent seen anyone have proof this is actually the case (not saying it isnt true it may well be, or blown totally out of proportion)

(other than Schreier/Bloomberg 'trust me bro')

Fake

Do we have proof of this?

They never give us any proof, but by all those things happing right now we can only pressume is true. Not even in the past those things that got leaked (normally by unhappy employers) and became true receive any proof or statment from Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo.

We are very close to a cancellation territory right now.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
They stated that the reason for the omission was because a much more ambitious multiplayer offering was in the works. Now that it seems unlikely Factions will ever see the light of day, it makes the sting of not having a "normal" multiplayer experience in TLoU2 all the worse.

"Hey buddy, we know you wanted fries with your burger, but if you wait 30 minutes we'll give you a much more delicious side of chicken nuggets"

*30 minutes later*

"Sorry pal, seems the chicken nuggets are not coming after all. Hope the burger was alright"

Me: "Can I have my fries then?"

Sad Cry GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants
Not the same thing at all that you're implying. They never promised the multiplayer game to TLOU 2 customers and duped their customers. Naughty Dog clearly stated what the customers would be getting and what they wouldn't be getting with the $60 they paid.

Last edited:
Not the same thing at all that you're implying. They never promised the multiplayer game to TLOU 2 customers and duped their customers. Naughty Dog clearly stated what the customers would be getting and what they wouldn't be getting with the $60 they paid.
Yeah, they clearly stated something much bigger and much more ambitious was awaiting us as a result of multiplayer not being included in the package at launch.

midnightAI

They never give us any proof, but by all those things happing right now we can only pressume is true. Not even in the past those things that got leaked (normally by unhappy employers) and became true receive any proof or statment from Sony/Microsoft/Nintendo.

We are very close to a cancellation territory right now.
Ok, but whats going on right now? (other than maybe 25 contracts not being renewed/extended)

The rest, again, is just rumour.

We had some ND developers tweet that the news on Factions wasn't a disaster situation for the studio and they had a very exciting project well in development that would be ready to be shared soon.

So....I am not going to claim that Factions was an all hands on deck project for ND like the failed project from SSM

ecentre

They took a risk and went into uncharted territories, but it looks like it did not go as well as they thought. It is a sad they for gamers:(

midnightAI

We had some ND developers tweet that the news on Factions wasn't a disaster situation for the studio and they had a very exciting project well in development that would be ready to be shared soon.

So....I am not going to claim that Factions was an all hands on deck project for ND like the failed project from SSM
I think it's the opposite, there may be some truth to the rumour that factions is on hold, but it may be on hold because currently another one of their games is taking priority so they are moved over to help out (unfortunately contractors could miss out on that depending on what they were contracted for)

This is pure guesswork on my part.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
Do we have proof of this? I keep reading it but I havent seen anyone have proof this is actually the case (not saying it isnt true it may well be, or blown totally out of proportion)

(other than Schreier/Bloomberg 'trust me bro')
I mean, they'll never talk about this stuff publicly for obvious reasons. So I don't see why believing Bloomberg, which is a reputable journalism outfit, is so crazy. Of course if you totally distrust Schreier I don't blame you but he's not on an island here, he's attaching his work to Bloomberg and Bloomberg is attaching its reputation to him.

Last edited:

Fake

Ok, but whats going on right now? (other than maybe 25 contracts not being renewed/extended)

The rest, again, is just rumour.

-Right now, the guy behind the Factions and GaaS was fired.
- More people at ND was fired and asked by Sony to remain sillent, but we all know how hidden those things get.
-Factions was not be showed at the TLOUS day.
- Tom Herdeson have a better reputation and as his source confirming eveything.

Is just a matter of time either Sony or ND confirm the rumors. Remember, some folks are not get pay in the TLOUS part 2, so some leaked parts of the game. A fired employer have nothing to lose at this point.

midnightAI

- More people at ND was fired and asked by Sony to remain sillent, but we all know how hidden those things get.
-Factions was not be showed at the TLOUS day.
- Tom Herdeson have a better reputation and as his source confirming eveything.

Is just a matter of time either Sony or ND confirm the rumors. Remember, some folks are not get pay in the TLOUS part 2, so some leaked parts of the game. A fired employer have nothing to lose at this point.
1, so he didn't do his job properly? (He was also let go a couple of weeks.ago before the Kotaku article, people are just using now as more ammo, but it was still.recent I admit)
2, not fired, contracts not renewed, there is a difference. not talking about it means don't talk about the game you was working on, standard NDA, these people also will not have severance pay, they are contractors (Kotaku sensationalism)
3, Naughty Dog don't show anything on TLOU day, they never have so expecting otherwise was silly.
4, Tom Henderson still gets things wrong

Look,.it could all be true but other than some people either let go or contracts not renewed everything else is rumour.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That's not correct. The Factions project was being spearheaded by Anthony and Vineet. Both are still with Naughty Dog.

You may be thinking of the monetization person, but that's not "the guy behind Factions." Also, if Bungie raised concerns about the game's ability to sustain long-term monetization, that just means the monetization guy didn't do his job properly, so it makes sense why he was let go.
This is also incorrect. None of the ND employees was let go. ~25 contractors (not employees, but outside contractors) who were contracted for QA'ing the game were let go.

It also makes sense because if they're not releasing the game soon and instead will rework some of the game, then they obviously don't need active contracts from the outsourced QA team.

midnightAI

So I don't see why believing Bloomberg, which is a reputable journalism outfit
The same Bloomberg who said Sony cut production numbers for the PS5 by 4 million due to production issues which actually got Sony to call out their BS? That reputable source?

diffusionx

Gold Member
The same Bloomberg who said Sony cut production numbers for the PS5 by 4 million due to production issues which actually got Sony to call out their BS? That reputable source?
like I said, your call to believe them or not, but don't expect people not to quote them.

nobody at sony is ever going to get in front of a mic and talk about the internal bungie review process. Internal reviews are standard for this stuff anyway, whether bungie did it or not.

Last edited:

midnightAI

like I said, your call to believe them or not, but don't expect people not to quote them.

nobody at sony is ever going to get in front of a mic and talk about the internal bungie review process. Internal reviews are standard for this stuff anyway, whether bungie did it or not.
Oh, yeh, I agree with that, but my point was people are taking all of this at face value when the sources of these rumours are questionable at best, they may very well be true, but until Sony comes out and says Factions is cancelled then take everything with a pinch of salt. Internal reviews are standard, they are also under NDA and, well, internal, so the likelihood of anyone outside of Sony knowing the results of that review are slim.

Cyberpunkd

Did no one consider that Bungie might not have been entirely welcoming to having another GAAS game compete with Destiny 2?

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Oh, yeh, I agree with that, but my point was people are taking all of this at face value when the sources of these rumours are questionable at best, they may very well be true, but until Sony comes out and says Factions is cancelled then take everything with a pinch of salt. Internal reviews are standard, they are also under NDA and, well, internal, so the likelihood of anyone outside of Sony knowing the results of that review are slim.
And as I said earlier in this thread, I don't think Sony will ever cancel TLOU Online. It's too important an IP to abandon, especially because out of their 10-12 GaaS projects, TLOU Online has the best chance of making it big.

As Kotaku reported last week, the project is on ice but not dead.

Because of the issues raised by Bungie, ND decided to prioritize, finish, and ship their SP game first. I believe they will work again on the MP project in light of Bungie's feedback. I also have a hunch (no evidence) that Firewalk might assist ND with TLOU Online once they ship Concord. Just a gut feeling.

midnightAI

And as I said earlier in this thread, I don't think Sony will ever cancel TLOU Online. It's too important an IP to abandon, especially because out of their 10-12 GaaS projects, TLOU Online has the best chance of making it big.

As Kotaku reported last week, the project is on ice but not dead.

Because of the issues raised by Bungie, ND decided to prioritize, finish, and ship their SP game first. I believe they will work again on the MP project in light of Bungie's feedback. I also have a hunch (no evidence) that Firewalk might assist ND with TLOU Online once they ship Concord. Just a gut feeling.
That sounds feasible, I mentioned similar above that its probably on hold due to moving resources to a different game (Druckmann's new IP)

Cashon

Banned
I still don't get all this hate for gaas games.
People have their own preferences I guess. Sometimes I don't even think you all like playing games altogether.

I enjoy many multi-player/live service games more than single player. The joy of creating your own character and playing with friends is what I enjoy about gaming.

FanmmtY.jpg

My PS3 version of GTAV is probably 2000h+ playing online after getting all single player trophies.

My time player Clash of Clans is probably measured in years and didn't spend a cent.
Bny3a66.jpg

- If they made TLOU2 multi-player open world like Rockstar does with infected roaming the map.
- Single and co-op missions
- Vs multi-player maps
- battle royal with infected as the circle
- animations and controls from story mode.
- character and possibly a mini campsite customizations

I for one, hope this game isn't cancelled.
I enjoy playing both Uncharted 3&4 and TLOU multi-player.
I'm definitely a single-player gamer that doesn't really enjoy playing games with others. I don't even like playing games while someone else is in the same room.

I've played multiplayer games, of course, but I don't play them too much and not for too long. I think the most I've ever played multiplayer games was with the first Gears of War on 360, then Rocket League, Warzone and Apex Legends on PS4/Xbox One. My friends, with whom I played, played for much longer and more frequently than I did. At the end of the day, I find the repetitive nature of it, in addition to the relative lack of exploratory autonomy, leads to a hastened disinterest. No amount of cosmetics, whether free or otherwise, will ever change that.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
That sounds feasible, I mentioned similar above that its probably on hold due to moving resources to a different game (Druckmann's new IP)
FFXVI - 'Story'

The new IP is most likely also in production and I think will be released after TLOU 3 (which will end the TLOU storyline completely, if my guess is correct).

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Did no one consider that Bungie might not have been entirely welcoming to having another GAAS game compete with Destiny 2?

The incentive structure is set up for Bungie to be honest. Now that they're part of Sony, it doesn't do them any good to hide trade secrets or derail other PlayStation studio's plans.

Last edited:
Top Bottom