• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Factions "it's dead now"

Fake

Dark Souls Rip GIF by BANDAI NAMCO Entertainment

MiguelItUp

I mean, considering the news that's come to surface over the last week and some change, I think it's fair to assume it's probably dead. Only time well tell until we get an actual word.

Same lesson over and over again, predominantly sp devs cannot and should not be making a gaas game. Bioware learn it with Anthem; Crystal Dynamics with Avengers; Arkane with Redfall and now Naughty Dog.

The best gaas were always from studios that already were good at mp. Bungie, epic, Respawn, once upon a time Blizzard.

When they announced TLOU 1 remake, some sources claimed it was because Naughty Dog just had underutilized resources/manpower between two big projects so they went ahead did the remake.
WTF is this shit now? Now all your input is squandered.
Just fucking focus on what you do best, and bring back Uncharted!

kaizenkko

The real point is: all the news around this project just a few days after Jimbo's retirement means something?

Time will tell the true, but I hope the good old Sony is back. And Naughty Dog, well, they will probably get the devs back to crunch in order to delivery at least one game this gen.

Salz01

All we wanted was Factions 2.0 Include the ability to crawl etc….. ND just isn’t the same anymore. Kind of pisses me off.

tmlDan

When they announced TLOU 1 remake, some sources claimed it was because Naughty Dog just had underutilized resources/manpower between two big projects so they went ahead did the remake.
WTF is this shit now? Now all your input is squandered.
Just fucking focus on what you do best, and bring back Uncharted!
They are, that's likely why the mp game is dying. They are working on too many projects at once, if rumors are true the new IP will be announced this year (prob not true)

Last edited:

GHG

The timing of all of this along with the announcement of Jim Ryan's exit can't be a coincidence.

This is all a royal fuck up and like I said before he even announced he was stepping down, it's a stackable offense.

If Hulst is also culpable in all of this then he needs to be next and kept away from any critical decision making going forwards.

simpatico

Damn. Bungie swaggered in an shitcanned Druck's game. Fucking power move. New kids at school just walk in and blast the coolest kid in class. How do you guys this Druck is dealing with it? I mean, no one walks into Rockstar and shitcans a Houser game.

Last edited:
Does anybody really think Naughty Dog could support a games as service product? It would have been a disaster and content starved, similar to what happened with Halo. This isn't the PS3 era; you can't just drop a multiplayer game and then not be aggressive in supporting it.

Yep, do it like Respawn did with Apex Legends, stealth drop day one. After launch, sustain the shit out of the content.

GHG

Does anybody really think Naughty Dog could support a games as service product? It would have been a disaster and content starved, similar to what happened with Halo. This isn't the PS3 era; you can't just drop a multiplayer game and then not be aggressive in supporting it.

Yep, it takes a sizable team being on it full time in order to keep the hamster wheel going.

I say fuck the hamster wheels, burn them down before they get built.

Kerotan

Probably for the best. Get them on TLOU 3, Uncharted 5 and a new sci fi IP. If they want to add a small multiplayer or co op mode to them go for it but that should be their next 10 years making single player games.

Respawn had years of experience with this stuff doing Call of Duty long before Apex Legends.
True. I was more at the aspect of how they announced the game. No one even knew it was in production and then bam released to the public as F2P. It created a viral download frenzy and userbase beyond just "ex COD devs" make a new F2P FPS. I'd say these sorts of releases are far better in the gamers' mindshare than TLOU factions bouncing around the rumour mill and then allegedly cancelled.

EDIT: At least with a stealth production cancellations would be moot in the public eye.

Last edited:

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force

Fractions are enjoyed by many, but maybe they got a bit too ambiguous and now they're suffering the consequences. The thing I was worried about is that they would deviate too far from the original formula.

I believe the multiplayer has enough potential not to be completely abandoned. The game was probably due out in 2024 until the Bungie thing hit.

If Last of Us Part III is in development, then they'll probably just package it with that and try to recover the cost.

Hugare

Same lesson over and over again, predominantly sp devs cannot and should not be making a gaas game. Bioware learn it with Anthem; Crystal Dynamics with Avengers; Arkane with Redfall and now Naughty Dog.

The best gaas were always from studios that already were good at mp. Bungie, epic, Respawn, once upon a time Blizzard.
Nailed it

Also Rocksteady with Suicide Squad (we dont even need to wait unil launch)

Thats why the whole Sony pushing for GAAS thing is a disaster.

Flutta

Banned
It's The Last Gardian all over again.

6 years of working on Faction a stand alone MP game. Really want to know what went wrong here? Their plan to nickel and dime failed? But how... makes little sense to cancel 6 years work just because some MTX issues? They can always add that shit later. Makes me think they've tried different concept and always falling short in the end... systems not working as expected, gameplay loop not fun enough, too many cooks fighting over ideas to implement etc etc. Looks like they've over complicated things for themselves.

What a mess lol.

Don't think w'll see anything from ND this gen. Maybe w'll get something at the end before PS6 but i doubt it. They've wasted too much time working on this MP shite.

Top Bottom