• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TLOU Factions "it's dead now"

Holammer

This rumour can be correct
Some rando anon having a laugh
It could also be a deliberate plant, so they can show all those haters when they roll out the game. Boom, your media narrative is ready!

Flutta

Banned
The timing of all of this along with the announcement of Jim Ryan's exit can't be a coincidence.

This is all a royal fuck up and like I said before he even announced he was stepping down, it's a stackable offense.

If Hulst is also culpable in all of this then he needs to be next and kept away from any critical decision making going forwards.

Tbh i had a bad feeling when they chose him as the HEAD OF PLAYSTATION STUDIOS. Always tweeting those fake "I'm excited" type tweets, never appears on any of the shows they make, always hiding his weird smirky looking face. He's probably one of those soft mofos who can't say no to people.
Yeah i agree, i hope they sack his weird ass, dude ain't a good fit to lead multiple studios.

Loxus

I still don't get all this hate for gaas games.
People have their own preferences I guess. Sometimes I don't even think you all like playing games altogether.

I enjoy many multi-player/live service games more than single player. The joy of creating your own character and playing with friends is what I enjoy about gaming.

FanmmtY.jpg

My PS3 version of GTAV is probably 2000h+ playing online after getting all single player trophies.

My time player Clash of Clans is probably measured in years and didn't spend a cent.
Bny3a66.jpg

- If they made TLOU2 multi-player open world like Rockstar does with infected roaming the map.
- Single and co-op missions
- Vs multi-player maps
- battle royal with infected as the circle
- animations and controls from story mode.
- character and possibly a mini campsite customizations

I for one, hope this game isn't cancelled.
I enjoy playing both Uncharted 3&4 and TLOU multi-player.

Jimbo knew that project was going to go in flames so he decided to take off and make the last fart at all the naughty Dog fans. What a way to leave a mark.

mortal

Gold Member
If true, maybe it's best we never had an official look, thinking of what could have been.

Sucks to pour literally years of your life into something only for it to crash and burn. Hopefully, it wasn't a complete loss and the best ideas find their second life in another future project.

Alex Scott

I still don't get all this hate for gaas games.
People have their own preferences I guess. Sometimes I don't even think you all like playing games altogether.

I enjoy many multi-player/live service games more than single player. The joy of creating your own character and playing with friends is what I enjoy about gaming.

FanmmtY.jpg

My PS3 version of GTAV is probably 2000h+ playing online after getting all single player trophies.

My time player Clash of Clans is probably measured in years and didn't spend a cent.
Bny3a66.jpg

- If they made TLOU2 multi-player open world like Rockstar does with infected roaming the map.
- Single and co-op missions
- Vs multi-player maps
- battle royal with infected as the circle
- animations and controls from story mode.
- character and possibly a mini campsite customizations

I for one, hope this game isn't cancelled.
I enjoy playing both Uncharted 3&4 and TLOU multi-player.
The problem is NaughtyDog doesn't have enough staff the to do live service games and work on multiple projects.

Aenima

TLOU MP was probably the most promissing of all the anounced GAAS they have. Maybe they went too ambitious as they was adding story and stuff to the game. Guess they should have kept it simple, just and improved version of the TLOU multiplayer would have worked.
Lets see if its really dead or not.

Last edited:

xBlueStonex

I remembering reading articles about Naughty Dog losing 70% of their non-lead devs towards the end of production on TLOU2. We're now starting to see the aftereffects of that.

Edit: “One major consequence of this culture has been attrition. Of the 20 non-lead designers in the credits of 2016’s Uncharted 4, a whopping 14—70 percent—are no longer at the studio, which has had wide-ranging effects on the development of The Last of Us II and led to questions about the continued viability of the Naughty Dog approach.”

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
You do realize this "new" thread is based entirely off a single tweet by some Twitter rando, right?

LOL

Not to say that the project isn't dead, because it very well might be. Just that it seems to be placing a huge amount of stock in what amounts to very little whatsoever. Its not "news".

Fbh

On the one hand good, I'd rather have ND continue to focus entirely on single player games, and any news of a failed GAAS is positive.

On the other hand this was the only remotely interesting Sony GAAS.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Same lesson over and over again, predominantly sp devs cannot and should not be making a gaas game. Bioware learn it with Anthem; Crystal Dynamics with Avengers; Arkane with Redfall and now Naughty Dog.

The best gaas were always from studios that already were good at mp. Bungie, epic, Respawn, once upon a time Blizzard.

Every successful GAAS studio started their foray in the industry by making single player games.

See: Bungie, Epic, Respawn, Blizzard...

Last edited:
Every successful GAAS studio started their foray in the industry by making single player games.

See: Bungie, Epic, Respawn, Blizzard...
To then refined with mp. And even then it was small potatoes in the beginning (halo 2 mp, gears mp, unreal tournament) compared to what happens now (Destiny, Fortnite).
Besides ND already had that mp transition with Uncharted 2. The leap to an ongoing service churning out revenue month in and out means that they probably need to stop making sp games alltogether.

[Sigma]

On the surface just going off the rumors, this is an absolute shit show and the timeline for projects has been seemingly been set back for a while. They came into this generation doing a remake no one fucking asked for. Not only did they work on the PS5 version, but then they worked on the PC version as well. All while this mp which has been in development for years gets seemingly canned in part because Bungie didn't think it would last long. So now you have nothing and theirs no telling when we will even see the first trailer for a new game.

EDIT: I didn't even account for the thought that they may be working on a The Last of Us 2 PS5/PC port. This shit will make you want to blow a gasket just thinking about it.

Sanepar

Besides Insomniac I would say ps studios are on hell development with everyone trying to creating gaas they have no idea or pedigree for.

The lack of direction and poor communication is setting the road for a new ps3 with ps6.

Aenima

I remembering reading articles about Naughty Dog losing 70% of their non-lead devs towards the end of production on TLOU2. We're now starting to see the aftereffects of that.

Edit: “One major consequence of this culture has been attrition. Of the 20 non-lead designers in the credits of 2016’s Uncharted 4, a whopping 14—70 percent—are no longer at the studio, which has had wide-ranging effects on the development of The Last of Us II and led to questions about the continued viability of the Naughty Dog approach.”

70% of 20 non lead designers. Not 70% of the devs. NaughtyDog has now much more devs than it had when making TLOU2. They have been working in multiple projects. TLOU Part1, Port of same game for PC, TLOU Online, and Neil Druckmann new game. With rummors of other projects being worked on the side.

diffusionx

Gold Member
70% of 20 non lead designers. Not 70% of the devs. NaughtyDog has now much more devs than it had when making TLOU2. They have been working in multiple projects. TLOU Part1, Port of same game for PC, TLOU Online, and Neil Druckmann new game. With rummors of other projects being worked on the side.
If anything, the last few years have proven the warnings in that article right. Sure ND can hire someone and they are now a "naughty dog designer" but what are they bringing to the table? TLOU P1 was pedestrian, the PC port was a mess, TLOU Online is apparently dead, so that leaves one project run by a guy who is increasingly showing himself to be an egomaniac and narcissist.

TLOU2 came out at the same time as Ghost of Tsushima - see how the devs there seemingly effortlessly integrated and built up a very solid online mode for their game, and compare it to how Factions was all hype and bluster and is now dead. Surely the fact that the people involved in making games like U4 and TLOU2 hit the road ASAP had something to do with it, and the people they brought in to make up for it are not as good. This is how studios die, that simple.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Is it true Bungie told Naughty Dog that Factions wasn't good enough?

If true, that strikes me as odd. Destiny 2 has had it's share of fumbles for sure, so what exactly are they advising on?

I hope to God it's not something like "you're not gonna make enough money from MTX with this kinda game". That would be a terrible omen.

Draugoth

Gold Member
This is the same dude that said Red dDead Redemption 3 was coming out? lol

He should stay with movie leaks only.

Last edited:
Good riddance! Jimbo being pushed out and this happening arent a coincidence. Sony is cleaning up the GAAS shitshow and now will hopefully focus once again on what they do best….SP offline games.

Roni

Gold Member
NGL, unless this project was supremely mismanaged, they should have something worth showing/releasing. If it is indeed dead, they might be shelving a game which is very, very close to ready.

Puscifer

HHoHow hard could it have been to just redo the best MP from the PS3 with more content and graphics?!
Feature creep. I said it many times over the months the tweet "it grew larger than we expected" was the sign this shit was never going to happen.

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
The Last of Us, Part II remains the best incomplete game ever. Right beside The Phantom Pain. Parts of this post are serious. I'll let you decide, dear reader.

Lupin25

They should just drop whatever they have as a DLC for TLOU II. What a waste if it never releases.

At least ND can have all hands available for their next project. A Director’s Cut is probably coming to pair with the HBO show, then hopefully 2025 we can see something new from them.

Cut your losses, lick your wounds, and whatever game you already have, tweak it a bit and keep it as an add-on to Part III, or burry it; and concentrate on what you do best, single player games...Get bigger and try to handle two projects at once. Let Sony set up, or buy other multiplayer focused studios to contribute to their GaaS efforts...
It was a waste of time and efforts, apparently, but it could be a blessing in disguise...

Majormaxxx

Just go do zoomer Uncharted with Cassie. She is now 19 years old. In universe she is now in college and can go steal relics and kill people during summer break. Or, she can go do mini heists in Cancun during spring break.

Perfect opportunity to go for the zoomer audience.

I’m still pissed that tlou remake didn’t include factions. They shoulda just ran with that, gaas can fuck off already.

ProtoByte

The timing of all of this along with the announcement of Jim Ryan's exit can't be a coincidence.

This is all a royal fuck up and like I said before he even announced he was stepping down, it's a stackable offense.

If Hulst is also culpable in all of this then he needs to be next and kept away from any critical decision making going forwards.
Respectfully, I think that's a little bit of confirmation bias.

We'd already heard about staff for the game being reduced and production going back to the drawing board months back. All this was pretty easy to see coming.

The real disaster would've been to have gone forward with the game, show it off and give a possibly disappointing first visual to the first game of the "Sony's abandoned single player!!" narrative, have it come out and not perform how it needs to, actually tarnishing ND's reputation with a tangible product.

Good management is not "always making the right choices out the gate and never hitting major bumps in the road". It's making a reasonable venture, and backing off if it's clear it's not going to work out.

Top Bottom