• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

To Avoid Spoilers Get Out | Get Out Spoiler Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The best thing about this movie (at least in my experience) is how the moment the fun goes away and the audience felt the most terrified... is at the end when the cop car pulls up. You could feel the tension in the air... and then Rod comes out, and the audience just exploded into cheers. Peele basically just stating "Nope, I'm not making another horror movie where the black hero dies!" It's just a fantastic moment in so many ways too, making the scariest moment be something that's all too real.

Sad, isn't it?

Also, does anyone remember, verbatim what the "groundskeeper" says to Chris the morning after about Rose? I'm curious, in the context of it being Grandpa talking to Chris.

GhaleonEB

The hell was with the helmet on the passenger seat?

The beginning, did you miss it? The son would go out and kidnap black people.
I missed it. I figured it was the brother, but I did not notice he had a helmet on in the opening scene. I saw it on the seat and wondered what the hell it was.

The two black servants were brain transplants of the Grandmother and Grandfather, why did they want to live their lives as servants of the family?
I think they were just playing servants while Chris was there, for an effective if awkward way to explain their presence.

Seriously. I was internally screaming that the movie better not pull a Night of the Living Dead ending
That's what I thought was going to happen. Hands raised, cop car door opens....blam. I haven't felt such a wave of relief at a film in a long time.

so this whole taking over the bodies of black people thing started because the grandpa lost a race to that black guy in germany right

like some sick twisted version of if you cant beat em join em
I loved that detail. "He never quite got over it."

That was the whole point of their auction.

Each person asked if he was good at something. The woman that felt his muscles was there for her dying husband, the golfer wanted to golf again as he was too old to do so and the blind guy had a passion for art/photography and wanted to see through Chris' eyes. The only way he would be able to do so would be through the brain stuff via Rose's dad, a neurosurgeon.
I picked up on the blind photographer wanting to see through a fellow photographer's eyes, but I didn't catch the rest. But it all fits. Goddamn. That whole party they were just sizing him up for the auction. Even Rose's seemingly impromptu "let's go for a walk" was scripted, keyed on her fathers mention of time to play bingo. They had their system of code words down. The Asian wondering if "African-American" was an advantage or disadvantage was so odd, but made perfect sense once the context was provided.

Chris was not fucking around getting out of there. Smack the brother, then hit him again while he's down. Goring the father with the deer he said he hated was some therapeutic shit. The them of leaving people (or deer) to die payed off, as he rescues the maid (whoops) then leaves Rose to croak on the road (woo!).

All the fights felt realistic. The way Chris used the door to bait the brother into kicking his leg out one last time was so, so well done.

Hs friend the perfect audience surrogate, saying everything we were thinking at every turn. They kept him in the film just enough that the sudden swing to his vantage point after Chris had been captured felt seamless.

Last year around this time, I saw The Witch, which went on to be one of my favorite films of the year. This was just as well crafted, ridiculously brilliant from end to end.

Still...one of the creepiest scenes was at the end, when Rose was nibbling on fruit loops and then sipping milk, separate, rather than just eating a bowl of cereal. People do this? Is this a white thing? I was like, okay, she's even more of a fucking nutcase than I thought.

While walking to my car, I heard an older (white) woman complaining to her daughter that Rotten Tomatoes is so often "inaccurate". This move was "too black" to be enjoyable. I wanted to scream.

Great movie, and I normally hate horror/thrillers. I loved how passive/aggressive the racial commentary was. Acting and writing was on point. Had a few jump scares or scenes that didn't make sense, like when grandpa first ran towards Chris and then darted away. Minor gripes though.
l.
i just assumed the guy was trying to run away while having temporary control. now i'm trying to figure out if grandpa was in control when he was talking to Chris and acting all creepy towards Rose in speech

this film shows the length people will go for a interracial family

i just assumed the guy was trying to run away while having temporary control. now i'm trying to figure out if grandpa was in control when he was talking to Chris and acting all creepy towards Rose in speech

this film shows the length people will go for a interracial family
The grandfather was a former Olympic sprinter. I guess that after the hypnotism/brain procedure is done, they probably don't sleep in order to stay in control. The grandma was up late that night as well. So I think he was running since there's nothing else to do at night and it would be out of character for the grounds keeper to run during the day.

Great movie man theater experience was great a lot of black folks were cheering, laughing and gasping throughout the movie. I got to say the scene where Chris goes into hypnosis for the first time was some of the most visceral imagery I've seen in a film in a long time.

The helmet kidnapper in the intro that got Andre, he stranglehold him. Jeremy wanted to stranglehold Chris at the dinner table to see if he can resist it, not to mention being curious overall about Chris's strength. More proof that Jeremy is the helmet kidnapper. He also had his car parked out at front just in case Chris tried to make a run for it during the first confrontation.

Also, the maid admiring her reflection in the window and mirror was really grandma admiring her new, beautiful face.

And her tic of constantly fidgeting with/arranging her hair was to make sure the scar was covered. (Same reason the groundskeeper was always wearing a cap).

To be honest, when Chris asked Rod how he found the location, my eyes immediately jumped to Rod's hairline...

The helmet kidnapper in the intro that got Andre, he stranglehold him. Jeremy wanted to stranglehold Chris at the dinner table to see if he can resist it, not to mention being curious overall about Chris's strength. More proof that Jeremy is the helmet kidnapper. He also had his car parked out at front just in case Chris tried to make a run for it during the first confrontation.

The gallery owner refers to this in his conversation with the tied up Chris too. Something along the lines of "You are one of the lucky ones because Rose brought you in. The people Jeremey wrangled were not so fortunate".

HeySeuss

The grandfather was a former Olympic sprinter. I guess that after the hypnotism/brain procedure is done, they probably don't sleep in order to stay in control. The grandma was up late that night as well. So I think he was running since there's nothing else to do at night and it would be out of character for the grounds keeper to run during the day.

I think it was more to the point that grandpa enjoyed test driving his superhero body. He loved to run and now he can run even faster.

You're probably right about the sleep though, didn't consider that.

HeySeuss

My theatre for the last 20 minutes were just saying "Let that bitch burn! Fuck Georgina, leave!

This was my only nitpick. He had to kill them all otherwise nobody would ever believe him and he would be arrested for multiple murders. He tried leaving before they were all dead. Leaving Rose alive just puts him in jail or worse for the rest of his life.

Why was the Asian guy at the party? They explained everybody's motive but his.

His question about if it's advantageous or a burden being a black man that was thrown to Andrew, a white man in his new black body, and also how he answered it is hilarious to me looking back knowing everything.

y2dvd

My theatre for the last 20 minutes were just saying "Let that bitch burn! Fuck Georgina, leave!

Man they did a great job even setting up why Chris can't just leave her on the floor. Normally a character would just go back with no good reason. Wasn't the case on this movie.

His question about if it's advantageous or a burden being a black man that was thrown to Andrew, a white man in his new black body, and also how he answered it is hilarious to me looking back knowing everything.

Asian dude wanted in just like every other white person.

Felt like the required minority in the community because they want someone to ask about race without coming off as racist. But shows that it's still weird as fuck when coming from one minority to another. Guy was asian because they are the accepted model minority among white people. And I think, as an Asian person, old Asian people tend to think white acceptance means they "made it."

Kusagari

I figured the Asian guy and his question was commentary on Asians being perceived as the "model minority" and whether that's something they actually perceive as a good thing or not.

KalBalboa

Banned
Loved the film. Forgive me if this was somehow explained and I missed it on my first viewing:

Are the "body snatched" caretakers at the home (grandma and grandpa) sharing brains with the original people they've taken over? Are we to believe there's a certain percentage of both people physically in there?

jvalioli

Loved the film. Forgive me if this was somehow explained and I missed it on my first viewing:

Are the "body snatched" caretakers at the home (grandma and grandpa) sharing brains with the original people they've taken over? Are we to believe there's a certain percentage of both people physically in there?
Yes. The grandparents are in control of the bodies but the others can hear and see everything.

Stephen Root's character explained it. The original occupants are merely passengers, watching everything from the "low place", helpless to intervene. There are points where the power struggle appears within though. Georgina's body was being fought over in the "nononononono" scene, with Grandma winning.

And of course the flash from the camera causes a switch of who is driving.

KalBalboa

Banned
Stephen Root's character explained it. The original occupants are merely passengers, watching everything from the "low place", helpless to intervene. There are points where the power struggle appears within though. Georgina's body was being fought over in the "nononononono" scene, with Grandma winning.

And of course the flash from the camera causes a switch of who is driving.

Yeah, I definitely understood the angle of the original people in each body witnessing everything from afar, but my question is just how both people are occupying each body simultaneously.

I filled in a small gap on my own and assumed something like 25-33% of the original person was physically there in terms of the brain and that a surgery would put the elder white person there too. The original person's percentage was left in to assist with motor functions, akin to what Root mentioned about it making the surgeries more successful if the host knew it was coming etc.

Yeah, I definitely understood the angle of the original people in each body witnessing everything from afar, but my question is just how both people are occupying each body simultaneously.

I filled in a small gap on my own and assumed something like 25-33% of the original person was physically there in terms of the brain and that a surgery would put the elder white person there too. The original person's percentage was left in to assist with motor functions, akin to what Root mentioned about it making the surgeries more successful if the host knew it was coming etc.

Yeah, to your point, they didn't explain the greater details of the neurological work the dad was performing. That was ok for me though. I just assumed there was some degree of brain combining going on.

KalBalboa

Banned
Yeah, to your point, they didn't explain the greater details of the neurological work the dad was performing. That was ok for me though. I just assumed there was some degree of brain combining going on.

Yeah, I liked being able to slowly put it together with the broader pieces of the puzzle intact. I enjoy that kind of "in between the panels" method of story telling sometimes.

golem

I think he wanted a body too and was wondering how different/worse the American experience would be as a black man instead of an Asian.

So many layers to this film, love it. Wonder if there will be an extended edition with the cut scenes.

KalBalboa

Banned
Thinking each scene through again after a first viewing is such a treat.

Rose telling the cop to leave Chris alone was never about being a protective girlfriend...

It was about keeping Chris's whereabouts harder to trace.

LionPride

Banned
I think he wanted a body too and was wondering how different/worse the American experience would be as a black man instead of an Asian.

So many layers to this film, love it. Wonder if there will be an extended edition with the cut scenes.

Yep

Mariolee

Thinking each scene through again after a first viewing is such a treat.

Rose telling the cop to leave Chris alone was never about being a protective girlfriend...

It was about keeping Chris's whereabouts harder to trace.

Holy crap I didn't even think about that.

Was the Asian guy the only single guy at the party? While the Asian stereotype is that they are naturally intelligent and hard working, guys aren't perceived as being attractive or sexually desirable. So I think it was definitely him gauging whether the intellectual stereotypes and the social acceptance that brings are worth trading off for what is the opposite, physically attractive but not accepted socially and not seen as an intellectual.

Was the Asian guy the only single guy at the party? While the Asian stereotype is that they are naturally intelligent and hard working, guys aren't perceived as being attractive or sexually desirable. So I think it was definitely him gauging whether the intellectual stereotypes and the social acceptance that brings are worth trading off for what is the opposite, physically attractive but not accepted socially and not seen as an intellectual.

The gallery manager was single too I think.

HiiiLife

The scariest part of this movie was by far the old white dude in the audience who was wearing a Make America Great Again hat.

No but really. The hypnosis scene had me feeling uncomfortable. Glad they all died.

This man picked cotton to save his life
DBxEOYl.gif

And her tic of constantly fidgeting with/arranging her hair was to make sure the scar was covered. (Same reason the groundskeeper was always wearing a cap).

To be honest, when Chris asked Rod how he found the location, my eyes immediately jumped to Rod's hairline...

The gallery owner refers to this in his conversation with the tied up Chris too. Something along the lines of "You are one of the lucky ones because Rose brought you in. The people Jeremey wrangled were not so fortunate".

it seems Jeremey just finds random black guys to bring in while Rose picks the fit/orphan/skilled ones i.e. she google's how to search bing to find NCAA prospects

also did anyone catch how much did Chris go for?

How cold was Rose? Chris pours his heart to her on his walk, confesses she is all he has and she still plays her part.

Even elicits faux sympathy.

Man...

robotrock

Banned
How cold was Rose? Chris pours his heart to her on his walk, confesses she is all he has and she still plays her part.

Man...

she is incredible dude. her conversation with the cop was hilarious initially and especially so hindsight

she is an amazing character

she is incredible dude. her conversation with the cop was hilarious initially and especially so hindsight

she is an amazing character

Yeah I mentioned earlier that Allison Williams acted her ass off in this. She had me fooled up until the key reveal. At worst, I thought she was hypnotized.

Great performance.

akira28

Is there symbolism with the fruit loops

milk and fruit loops, two things made to go together, and her mental machinery is so twisted and fucked up that she can't enjoy them both that way? She even has a bowl. The milk must stay pure and bland as shit. And that cereal is going to make her mouth dry as fuck. She's only hurting herself. Preventing herself from perfection because she's fucking wrong.

Is there symbolism with the fruit loops

I read it as her upbringing was so fucked up that average things like consuming cereal was creepy as fuck and unnatural.

It showed a lot about Rose (and how unhinged she was) in her natural state without a single word of dialogue.

Man...
She was basically a serial killer; kept and framed those pictures of all her past partners.

This was such a great movie. Who would have thought Peele had such a great eye for tension and foreshadowing? "Logan" twirling around and shaking the fist bump were some brilliant hints at the body transplant plot.

She was basically a serial killer; kept and framed those pictures of all her past partners.

This was such a great movie. Who would have thought Peele had such a great eye for tension and foreshadowing? "Logan" twirling around and shaking the fist bump were some brilliant hints at the body transplant plot.

She dressed like some classic big game hunter when she went after Chris with the rifle. To her black people were trophies to earn.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom