• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Torment: Tides of Numenera Kickstarter by InXile [Complete; $4.3 million funded]

Kieli

Everyone knows it's not coming out 2015 with only 3 months left to the year. Why don't they announce a delay? Is there any benefit to pulling a Persona 5?

Purkake4

Banned
The gameplay video looks interesting, but this makes me cringe, alpha or no:

HrsVcTx.png

Purkake4

Banned
It feels very functional when you play it but it looks ugly as sin.
That's good to hear at least. I think inXile is a bit obsessed with their 90s style interfaces, that is not really the reason people liked the games. This is painfully obvious with Wasteland 2.

nonadventurer

Neo Member
I may be stuck in the 90s, but what exactly is wrong with that interface? It looks clear and functional enough to me. Is it merely about the color palette?

Purkake4

Banned
I may be stuck in the 90s, but what exactly is wrong with that interface? It looks clear and functional enough to me. Is it merely about the color palette?
It takes up a lot of space and has a lot of static elements that serve no purpose. Also for PoE and W2 the pretty 2d interface clashed with the ugly 3d item models.

Zaptruder

Banned
Damn. That's looking fugly. Well... we can hold out for hope that they'll improve it. I mean it happened with Wasteland 2 after all.

But I think I'll just lower my expectation and be pleasantly surprised if it comes to that. Or not and just grump my way through bad art D:

Lime

I think I prefer real-time rendered 3D graphics rather than 2d pre-rendered that doesn't get affected by resolution rendering

hemtae

Updated Our Journal (49): A Shifting Tide

As with any product launch, there will be the inevitable challenges to overcome, but like a finely tuned engine, things are humming along. I'm proud to have played a part in creating and tuning that engine, which is where my unique experience and skills were most beneficial to TTON. With the major creative and production decisions now resolved, and the team charging full speed toward completing the game, inXile and I have decided it is time for me to depart from the studio. I am proud of the project that I'm leaving in capable hands, and while I do not know what I'll do next, I look forward to new challenges and opportunities.

It has been a privilege and an honor to help craft this game for - and with - all of you. I thank you for having given me the opportunity to lead this truly extraordinary title. It was effectively your generous pledges that gave me the job that I have held since I led TTON's Kickstarter campaign. I also thank Brian Fargo and Matt Findley for being leaders of the RPG renaissance we now enjoy, for making TTON possible, and for trusting and empowering me to lead the project through this point.

Kevin out.

As a fresh set of eyes on the project I can tell you it's shaping up to be the awesome experience you all expect and deserve. However, to maintain the quality standard we've set for ourselves, we can't rush through these final stages to get it out the door. Instead, we're going to take the time we need on Torment: Tides of Numenera, which means we are planning a 2016 release.

Labadal

It's good to know that backer NPCs will actually be implemented in a way that is not utterly disappointing.

I am also curious how the beta will end up. Ten hours of gameplay is a nice chunk. Almost half the game, probably.

Kickstarter Update #51: De-Cyphering the Beta Release Date

I’m proud to tell you that Torment: Tides of Numenera Beta will be coming to all eligible backers during the week of January 17th and to Steam Early Access on the 26th of January.
The beta will start you right in the beginning of the game and is quite lengthy for an early beta. It covers the game's introductory sequence (some of which you may have already seen a portion of in the alpha) as well as most of the first major location of the game, Sagus Cliffs. Sagus is a very old city that was built on top of ancient structures that predate the return of humanity to the Ninth World. It's split into five main districts: Circus Minor, Cliff's Edge, Caravanserai, Government Square and the Underbelly. As you might expect from a city location, it is rich in lore to discover, characters to talk with and obviously quests to complete!

Naito

Noteworthy to mention that Torment has been postponed to Q1 2017 (late 2016 before)
because "combined iteration and localization efforts are looking to be a 6-month process."

Eusis

Noteworthy to mention that Torment has been postponed to Q1 2017 (late 2016 before)
because "combined iteration and localization efforts are looking to be a 6-month process."
Ah, yeah, kinda glossed over that. Probably knew it was going to be within a year at least but filing under "it's done when it's done." So having the beta is a nice consolation prize and maybe will lead to a more polished product than "yeah well we're delaying sorry."

Lime

I thought it was a 2D map that wasn't affected by higher rendering (like PoE). Or did the re-render the assets to 4K?

Eusis

I thought it was a 2D map that wasn't affected by higher rendering (like PoE). Or did the re-render the assets to 4K?
Could have had the assets at a higher resolution and decided to switch to those instead of the lower resolution ones. Or just allow it to zoom out further, whichever.

At any rate the game's leaving a good impression on me so far, even if tweaking is (obviously) still needed.

Top Bottom