• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers 5 being scripted by Fringe writers

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

DeKnight is part of the writer’s room along with Pinkner, Zak Penn, Robert Kirkman, Art Marcum, Matt Holloway, Andrew Barrer, Gabrial Ferrari, Christina Hodson, Lindsey Beer, Ken Nolan, and Geneva Robertson-Dworet.

That “brain trust” reports to Goldsman, and producers Michael Bay, Steven Spielberg, and Lorezo di Bonaventura.

Lol. Paramount pls.

Jimothy

I have a strange fascination with these movies. They have been seriously getting worse and worse and stupider and stupider. I have a tradition with my friend that we go see them in the theater.

After the end of the 4th one, I imagine the next one will be in deep space and robotic monstrosity(optimous prime) vs some organic lovecraftian monstrosity. That would be kind of cool.

But I am sure it will be on earth so the army can get involved....

I remember reading a really longwinded essay about the Transformers movies that says the Decepiticons are actually the good guys while the Autobots are a bunch of hypocritical fascists. Also that Megatron is apparently transgender. Interesting stuff

Toa TAK

Banned
I remember reading a really longwinded essay about the Transformers movies that says the Decepiticons are actually the good guys while the Autobots are a bunch of hypocritical fascists. Also that Megatron is apparently transgender. Interesting stuff

It's here and it's easily the best thing to come out of these movies (beside's the score).

I couldn't tell exactly whether or not it was supposed to be serious with all of that reaching, but it was a hell of a read.

I wonder if the tie-in novel will have a completely different ending from the movie again.

Dark of the Moon novel ending > Movie ending

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
It's here and it's easily the best thing to come out of these movies (beside's the score).

I couldn't tell exactly whether or not it was supposed to be serious with all of that reaching, but it was a hell of a read.

Yeeaaaaah, I don't can bring myself to read that.

Edit:
Can anyone tell me what Prime was talking about at the end of extinction when he stabs the guy in the back then turns to the sun and says "Honor to the end..."
He can't be talking about himself, he just stabbed someone in the back.
He can't be talking about the bounty hunter, he was in no way honorable.
He can't have been talking to the human, he wasn't even looking at him.

What the hell was that about?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Just for context, this movie is being written by the guy who wrote Batman & Robin and the guy who wrote the screen story for Amazing Spider-Man 2 (the script for ASM2 was written by the guys who wrote Transformers 1-3). I would not have believed it possible for them to make a lateral move in the screenwriter department on this franchise, but by god if they haven't done exactly that.

Go ahead and have Bay come back and direct. What does it even matter anymore?

I've always thought it odd that people ever wanted a good story out of a Transformers movie.

It's Transformers.

Anything can be a good story in the right hands. The current ongoing IDW Transformers comic More Than Meets The Eye is legitimately one of the best comics of the century so far.

Whether it was intended seriously or not, the SA movie forum takes it deadly seriously, and seems to legitimately believe Bay is some kind of secret genius.

yami4ct

I've always thought it odd that people ever wanted a good story out of a Transformers movie.

It's Transformers.

Sure, G1 is just a glorified toy commercial with very little story value (it has its moments), but the franchise does have a rich history of actually good fiction written for it. Beast Wars is legit amazing. IDW has had some flawed runs, but Last Stand of the Wreckers is an amazing story and More than Meets the Eye is legitimately one of the best sci-fi action comics of all time.

You can tell good stories with these characters as long as you remember they are actually characters. They aren't just giant scary monsters that exist to fight and cause explosions while the human heroes run around in terror.

Toa TAK

Banned
I wonder if the tie-in novel will have a completely different ending from the movie again.

Dark of the Moon novel ending > Movie ending
What happened in the novel?
Yeeaaaaah, I don't can bring myself to read that.

Edit:
Can anyone tell me what Prime was talking about at the end of extinction when he stabs the guy in the back then turns to the sun and says "Honor to the end..."
He can't be talking about himself, he just stabbed someone in the back.
He can't be talking about the bounty hunter, he was in no way honorable.
He can't have been talking to the human, he wasn't even looking at him.

What the hell was that about?
Didn't you JUST see what I linked?!

You can't just try to make sense of these movies!
Whether it was intended seriously or not, the SA movie forum takes it deadly seriously, and seems to legitimately believe Bay is some kind of secret genius.

That's insane.

What happened in the novel?

Megatron and Optimus tag team Sentinel until Optimus finishes him. Megatron then reveals he's grown weary of fighting and sues for peace. And no Optimus doesn't kill him. He and the Decepticons go to rebuild Cybertron, intending to call back the Autobots once done so their races can join together once again.

It reads better than my short synopsis. Optimus even calls him out on if it's another lie but gets told that if he doesn't believe him, shoot him with Sentinel's gun.

"You are wrong. I'm not like you, because if I were, I would destroy you for showing what any Decepticon would define as weakness. Your own people may very well tear you apart for this change in your attitude. For your sake as well as theirs, control them."

Dead

well not really...yet
Megatron and Optimus tag team Sentinel until Optimus finishes him. Megatron then reveals he's grown weary of fighting and sues for peace. And no Optimus doesn't kill him. He and the Decepticons go to rebuild Cybertron, intending to call back the Autobots once done so their races can join together once again.

It reads better than my short synopsis. Optimus even calls him out on if it's another lie but gets told that if he doesn't believe him, shoot him with Sentinel's gun.

"You are wrong. I'm not like you, because if I were, I would destroy you for showing what any Decepticon would define as weakness. Your own people may very well tear you apart for this change in your attitude. For your sake as well as theirs, control them."
I believe that was actually the original script ending, because IIRC the comic book had that ending too.

Then Bay probably saw it and wondered what is this weak shit and had Optimus rip Megatron's spine out of his body with a fucking Axe because holy shit

Toa TAK

Banned

Even for Transformers, the book is the better than the film.
I believe that was actually the original script ending, because IIRC the comic book had that ending too.

Then Bay probably saw it and wondered what is this weak shit and had Optimus rip Megatron's spine out of his body with a fucking Axe because holy shit

Yeah, I remember watching that thinking that was some serious character assassination on the part of Bay. That goes against every iteration of Optimus Prime that's come before. I held off when he ripped faces in Revenge of the Fallen, but Megatron opened his hand to peace and he fucked him up. That's not heroic, even if he did have enough of his shit. =\

You're telling me that there's a version of DoTM with a decent ending? Now I know I'm in the twilight zone...

Stanng243

Watching the last Transformers movie was one of the most painful things I've ever done. And I Like Mark Wahlberg as an actor.

Timu

It's Transformers.
It doesn't need a story like that, it just needs to be entertaining and well done in many areas, which is what the Bay Transformers lack.

VariantX

I watched that shitheap AoE on Netflix earlier this month. I am SO glad I didn't go see that in theaters. Should've stopped watching after the Twins in RotF, but I fell for the hype and watched Optimus beg for his life like a bitch in DotM.

Something's gonna have to change in a big way to get me back in theaters for any more of these.

That is literally the moment where I parted ways with this franchise.

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
That is literally the moment where I parted ways with this franchise.

I envy you. I wish I wasn't such a huge 3D fan.
If someone shot hours of footage of turds dropping from cyst-covered elephant anuses in 3D I'd watch it, and probably enjoy it more than AoE.

20158716791_78aa9855c9_o.gif

TAJ

Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.
The rule of odds is strong with this series. 1 and 3 were amazing, 2 was garbage, 4 was decent.

Lol, I was just going to post "Some people on GAF will tell you that 3 is good. Don't listen to their lies.".

3N16MA

Banned
The first film is enjoyable and a good popcorn flick. The second film proved they could release a big steaming pile of shit and the franchise would still generate big BO numbers.

The franchise has never recovered.

It's Transformers.

The 1986 movie, which is a completely obvious shill movie for some fucking toys, managed to have a good story. Simple, effective, and glorious by decree of nostalgia.

I don't know who dictates what characters will appear in the movie, but if that isn't Hasbro's doing (meaning the movie makers have full creative license to do with the characters as they please), then there is no excuse for these... things being non-movies. If it all comes to Hasbro being a possessive prick, then I can forgive the writers for having no idea what to do with that, but I don't think that's the case. I mean: why would Hasbro want and allow "Decepticon scum" asshole murderous psychopath Optimus to be a thing on their terms? I don't think they would. It's the literal polar opposite of every Optimus ever, afaik.

I mean: forget about 'All Hail Megatron', it's All Hail Optimus in these movies, or he's going to fucking murder you WITH AN AXE IN YOUR FACE WHILE YOU'RE BEGGING FOR MERCY. Seriously, that guy is fucking evil. Megatron's got nothing on that guy.

cj_iwakura

1 and 3 are decent, 4 is okay but way too long, unfocused and the human characters weren't to appealing either.

That's how I felt. 1 and 3 had a lot of silliness, but I still cared about the people. 4's were just meat puppets.

And boy was the robot action on point. At the end of the day, if they get that right, I forgive a lot.

Snaku

Banned
I love how the quality of these films mirrors Optimus Prime's decent into madness through each movie.

i hope it gets another auralnauts video. these guys doing the lord's work

https://youtu.be/tRmRMnVULs8?t=2m08s

i promise to never watch another transformers movie and yet i somehow end up in the theaters for them lol. the new one was about as shit as the second but i really liked that bud light product placement scene. haha it was so bizarre.

Cheerilee

Kurtzman and Orci (the writers of Bayformers 1&2) were co-creators on Fringe.

And John Noble already appeared as Unicorn in the K&O-produced "Transformers Prime" (which is surprisingly one of the greatest things to ever happen to Transformers, and the complete opposite of Bayformers).

I liked how he mentions that Megatron's first words after being unfrozen are "I am Megatron!" because some puny humans have been crawling all over him for decades, and keeping him frozen and performing live-experimentation on him while he was conscious-but-immobile, but worst of all they were insulting his pride by referring to him by some experiment's serial number.

And then in Bayformers 4, humans tried to make a clone of Optimus Prime using Megatron's remains, and they called their Optimus-clone "Galvatron" (because that totally makes sense and is what they were trying to do, and would work better than calling their black truck "Nemesis Prime" or something lame like that /s), but for some reason their clone of Optimus using Megatron's cells keeps ending up looking like Megatron (wow, really?), and when Megatron finally asserts his identity, he calls out "I am Galvatron!" in an oh-so-clever callback to the first movie, even though that's completely the opposite of what Megatron should have said in that situation.

These movies are fucking shit.

sphagnum

Banned
All Hail Megatron is supposed to be pretty good.

(I read it once and I don't really remember any of it, though)

Nope, AHM is pretty much universally considered the low point of IDW. It's where they tossed out the interesting new continuity they'd been building and decided to go for G1 nostalgia. It took a few years to recover.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom