• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transformers 5 Greenlit; Michael Bay Assumed to Return; Animated Spin-Off in Dev

Status
Not open for further replies.

emrober5

Even for a Transformers movie, the last one was absolute shit.

I somewhat enjoy the first and third one for the effects, but Transformers is so much better than what Michael Bay has turned it into.

I hope someday we get the reboot we deserve.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Age Of Extinction was probably the only good movie in the franchise.

It's the worst of the four by a light year. The murderous behavior of the Autobots, the repeated showing of the graphic killing of Ratchet, and the extended statutory rape humor really took the bad taste to a new level. After watching AoE I felt like I needed to take a shower.

I very seriously question the taste and sanity of anyone who likes these movies. The first one is an edit session away from being a decent summer flick, but the sequels are repulsive and cynical disasters from start to finish.

massoluk

Banned
Will someone throw money at some Japanese producer and save us by releasing a good big budget live action giant robot films already, please.

It's the worst of the four by a light year. The murderous behavior of the Autobots, the repeated showing of the graphic killing of Ratchet, and the extended statutory rape humor really took the bad taste to a new level. After watching AoE I felt like I needed to take a shower.

I very seriously question the taste and sanity of anyone who likes these movies. The first one is an edit session away from being a decent summer flick, but the sequels are repulsive and cynical disasters from start to finish.

Honestly while I was watching the movie the things you mentioned above just seemed par for the course with these movies, which should say something in its own right.

The reason Age of Extinction is considered the best because there are actual story arcs and character development in it (shitty character development and story arcs mind you but they are there).

jett

D-Member
tumblr_inline_nuk3zrSGLq1tqpcl2_500.gif

mfmowpy9.gif

I could argue that Transformers 1 was a good movie and not feel bad about it
2 and 3, though...well, when things went to shit in 3, they REALLY went to shit, so I was on board for that.

4 was just...odd. It had a lot of nice shots that I liked (falling star in the Texas skyline, for example), but good grief, too many people. And Wahlberg as a nerd felt weird.

Optimus just being done with everyone's shit was just fine for me, though

Mariolee

This animated spin off trend is interesting to me. I suppose TMNT started it with the animated movie that takes place loosely within the OG film's canon, then the MCU will be getting an animated Spidey film within the canon, and now Transformers.

Scrooged

Totally wronger about Nintendo's business decisions.

The action scenes can be enjoyable to watch. That's it. The dialog and human characters are shit. But seriously...2 and 3 are utter trash. At least Extinction tried to restrain itself when it came to the 'funny' bits.

Razorback

How can he not get tired of making these. I don't care how much money they pay me, Life's too short to be making five transformer movies. Let someone else do it.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm sorta surprised that Bay doesn't get burnt out. He's directed the other 4 movies, usually a director would have bailed after 3. Maybe because they're so CG heavy it doesn't really wear him out on it as much?

The first movie was a decent but not particularly memorable experience. I haven't enjoyed anything in this series since. I wanted to walk out of the second movie, so I learned to never see them in theaters. Tries watching the third and fourth when they were on Netflix, turned them both off before the halfway point. These movies just aren't for me.

How can he not get tired of making these. I don't care how much money they pay me, Life's too short to be making five transformer movies. Let someone else do it.

I'm sorta surprised that Bay doesn't get burnt out. He's directed the other 4 movies, usually a director would have bailed after 3. Maybe because they're so CG heavy it doesn't really wear him out on it as much?

I remember hearing that he reaaaallly didn't want to do 4, but did it to set up the next trilogy for whoever would take over.

iBeleaf

Whats up with the hate of Transformer movies?

There not much different from the MCU movies and you people drool over those

I have zero interest in the movie but that animated feature seems interesting just to see what their take of Cybertron would look like.

Kitoro

It's sad that 3 shitty sequels in, it's still making enough money that they haven't felt the need to oust Bay out in efforts to make a better movie.

Busty

Banned
So all they got for their much talked about writers room was a numbered sequel and an animated spin off that I suspect will never see the light of day?

Good job Paramount.

Good job.

Akahige

Age of Extinction was the most joyless and depressing movie-experience I've had since Garfield.

No other movie has felt like such a big fuck you to the audience. TF1-3 felt at least made by a Bay that was enjoying himself, but TF4 was him throwing in the towel and just getting that money.
Pretty much my exact feelings, unlike most people I found the first three movies equally terribly written but equally entertaining. T4 was terribly written and Bay's worst directorial job with no entertainment value, poor filmmaking all around.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I remember hearing that he reaaaallly didn't want to do 4, but did it to set up the next trilogy for whoever would take over.

See, that makes more sense to me, especially since that would have been around the time he did Pain & Gain, his first non Transformers film since 2005.

I really wonder if he'll come back for the 5th. Even just promoting these movies would be tiring by the 5th entry.

They should get the guy who did Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles last year. People already think that's a Bay film, just swap the guy in and nobody will notice.

Fine, whatever. Rotf is the only abomination imo. Aoe had tucci and grammer chewing the scenery like no other so it had that going for it.

the Bud Light ad in the last film was one of the best scenes of the summer. Hopefully more of that. If Bay's gonna continue to be asinine might as well go all the way.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
just greenlit? I assumed it was already in prodution lol. Those things make stupid amount of money, quality is irrelevant
and it kills me a little inside

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
Honestly, if this picks up where 4 left off, with Optimus Prime leaving Earth, and follows him confronting his makers, then I am all for this.

No more human drama bullshit.

Honestly while I was watching the movie the things you mentioned above just seemed par for the course with these movies, which should say something in its own right.

The reason Age of Extinction is considered the best because there are actual story arcs and character development in it (shitty character development and story arcs mind you but they are there).

Not to mention the human characters weren't dealing with their first world problems. Marky Mark's problems were a little more genuine. He's also a more believable action hero. Blackout was decent for a villain. Hell, he actually put up a fight in the end with Optimus.

Oh and Optimus hating humans was the perfect story. I actually wanted a story like that since the first movie because I hated the human characters so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom