• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transgender golfer challenging LPGA "female at birth rule"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanadeus

Banned
longdrive_pa_bodaholm_4_3b90ea44-0ad3-4aca-ab2e-c131f1da9746.jpg

shidoshi said:
They don't. Once you're on hormones to transition from female to male, one of the things that changes is that you lose your "male" muscle mass.
That's what I thought, and if you lose the "genetic male advantage" because of the transition then what reason would one have for not letting her play?

The rule is also stupid because it'd let a FtM person, with male muscles, compete.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Zoe said:
Yes, but those people probably wouldn't qualify for (or bother with) these events which is why I looked up the other group that she's suing :p
Right, but the other group's just matching whatever the LPGA is doing. If the LPGA revises their rules, it shouldn't be hard to get the other group to follow suit. All that needs to be proven is that she doesn't have any sort of competitive advantage and convince others to just allow that exception. Looking at her winning drive numbers, I can't say she would have any real advantage over other pro women's golfers.

J-Rod said:
I thought women used different clubs that flex more. I have a coworker that uses his wife's driver because he can hit farther with it.
Flex is about swing speed and acceleration - depending on how fast you swing the club and at what points in your swing you accelerate the most determine the kind of flex you get. Ladies flex is something you may see the average amateur woman golfer use, but if someone swings fast enough they'll want to change to a stiffer flex regardless of gender.

Xeke

Banned
Shanadeus said:
longdrive_pa_bodaholm_4_3b90ea44-0ad3-4aca-ab2e-c131f1da9746.jpg

That's what I thought, and if you lose the "genetic male advantage" because of the transition then what reason would one have for not letting her play?

The rule is also stupid because it'd let a FtM person, with male muscles, compete.

Because hormone change doesn't totally eliminate the advantage.

Platy

muscles change after long time on hormone therapy (5 years is more than enogh ...specialy after surgery/other anti-testosterone ways) ... what don't change a lot is the center of gravity because of bones and stuffs like that ... and i think that it has a little to do with how golf is made.

but i agree that the rule is idiot, because it would allow an insanely strong ftm compete on the female tourney (not that he would WANT that ...but to a girl use testoesterone as a doping way and call herlsef a ftm ...)

XiaNaphryz

Jerk 2.0 said:
I cannot argue with them here; she should be playing with the men.
She'd only be around #37 or 38 on the LPGA leaderboard for average drive distance assuming she can average her winning drive length consistently.

lightless_shado said:
dis gon' be good.

personally I think we shouldn't even have gender divided sections for golf.
you don't watch golf, do you? the women can't compete with the men. that's just fucking retarded.

Ripclawe

Banned
http://www.thegolfchannel.com/tour-...0412/?sms_ss=twitter&at_xt=4ce4bdf7d869a051,0

ORLANDO, Fla. – Future LPGA pros may no longer be required to be female at birth.

A monumental change in the association’s constitutional bylaws is imminent with the LPGA facing a federal lawsuit filed last month by a transgender woman in a California district court.

The LPGA is preparing to propose in a player meeting Nov. 30 at the LPGA Tour Championship in Orlando that its “female at birth” requirement for membership be changed to allow transgender membership.

The constitutional change requires approval of two-thirds of the LPGA’s membership.

In a special “one-agenda item” meeting at the Hana Bank Championship in South Korea at the end of October, LPGA players were briefed on the upcoming vote and the vital nature of it. According to sources familiar with the meeting, LPGA players were told the “female at birth” provision was created “in a different time” and would be a significant challenge to defend legally today. Players were also informed that the International Olympic Committee, the U.S. Golf Association, the Ladies European Tour and the British Ladies Golf Union are among sports organizations that have already amended their bylaws to allow transgender participation.

LPGA commissioner Mike Whan and the LPGA’s executive committee are expected to recommend the change to the association’s bylaws.

While Whan wouldn’t confirm that a proposed change is ready for a vote when GolfChannel.com spoke with him Wednesday, he acknowledged the issue will be addressed with the full membership during the LPGA Tour Championship.

“We’re having our end-of-the-year players meeting, and this will be a topic,” Whan said. “We’ll explain the lawsuit, our options, and we’ll discuss my perspective and the LPGA staff’s perspective.”

The proposed change to the LPGA constitution is a direct response to a lawsuit filed on Oct. 12 in U.S. District Court in San Francisco.

Lana Lawless, a 57-year-old retired police officer who had gender-reassignment surgery five years ago, filed the suit, alleging her civil rights were violated when the LPGA “rejected” her application for tour membership. Lawless also filed suit against the Long Drivers of America, alleging that organization adopted the LPGA’s “female at birth” rule to exclude her participation. Lawless won the women’s world long drive championship in 2008 but was ruled ineligible to participate this year. She once played to a 1-handicap as an amateur.

Christopher Dolan, Lawless’ attorney, said Wednesday that the LPGA has 15 days left to answer the lawsuit, which requires the LPGA admit or deny the suit’s allegations. The suit claims the LPGA and its sponsors have engaged in discrimination based on sex/transgender status in violation of California's anti-discrimination laws.

Dolan said LPGA attorneys notified him of the imminent players’ vote on the bylaws.

“When they told me they were going to put this up to a vote of their members, I said that’s insane,” Dolan said. “To put whether you want to continue to discriminate to a vote, that’s insane. It would be similar, in another time, to voting on whether you want to let black people into your organization. From my perspective, the law’s perfectly clear.”

Dolan said if the LPGA denies the allegations in its answer to the lawsuit, he will seek an injunction to prevent the LPGA from staging events in California, including next spring’s Kraft Nabisco Championship, the LPGA’s first major of the year. The LPGA staged three tournaments in California this year.

“If the members vote to continue to act unlawfully, we will seek to stop them from doing business in California,” Dolan said.

Even if the LPGA changes its bylaws, Dolan said the lawsuit will continue to be pursued as Lawless seeks damages for interference with her ability to earn a living as a professional golfer. Lawless is also prohibited by LPGA rules from becoming a teaching member of the association.

Are people just retarded in thinking that because he has breasts now his musculature and spatial relation skills have suddenly been morphed into a womans?

note: women possess spatial relations skills but men typically have higher instincts for it.

Dali

Teh Hamburglar said:
Are people just retarded in thinking that because he has breasts now his musculature and spatial relation skills have suddenly been morphed into a womans?

note: women possess spatial relations skills but men typically have higher instincts for it.
A lifetime of being a man wiped away in five years! Stature will diminish, foot and hand size will shrink, any muscular advantage gone just like that! The transformation into a woman is so complete it's silly to even consider being against this.

tiff

Banned
Teh Hamburglar said:

You mean she?

antonz

Legendary Warrior said:
You mean she?
Thats in the eye of the beholder. In many areas they are viewed and accepted as a 3rd gender all togeather.

As for this story it really is a crock. The person in question without a doubt has unfair advantages over from birth females.

smurfx

get some go again
Meus Renaissance said:
Reminds me of the debate regarding Wimbledon. Women play less matches to get the final and less sets but wanted equal pay as the men. I have to admit, I was unsure as to what position to side with on that. I remember reading that both the Williams sister once challenged a male tennis player, convinced they could beat one of them - although he was ranked somewhere in 200's. They got mulled. Both of them on the same day.

Now the sisters don't contest that they can beat a male opponent in the top ranks, they readily say otherwise, but it does highlight one of the points in this debate. At the same time there is a debate of equal pay here in the UK and the fundamental hypothesis is that if a woman can do the job just as well as a male peer, then she deserves equal pay and perks. But in a question of physical sports, where gender is a factor for ability (e.g. sheer power and stamina), you would have to discriminate (which is why we divide the two genders) on that. So why not on pay.

Having said that, they try and train just as hard as any male athlete so maybe the equal pay can be justified on that.
when it comes to tennis i believe whoever brings in the most fans to the games and gets the better ratings on tv should get the most money. i don't care if women play less games if they get better ratings and more stadium money then they should get the most. isn't womens tennis more popular?

antonz said:
Thats in the eye of the beholder. In many areas they are viewed and accepted as a 3rd gender all togeather.

As for this story it really is a crock. The person in question without a doubt has unfair advantages over from birth females.

Actually, call a drag queen a he while she is in character and you will get an earful. I don't get it but whatever.

antonz

Teh Hamburglar said:
Actually, call a drag queen a he while she is in character and you will get an earful. I don't get it but whatever.
Oh for sure. I dont mean any offense when I say eye of the beholder.

SonnyBoy

HE shouldn't be allowed to play in the LPGA because HE is a MAN and will have a competitive advantage because of his MASCULINE attributes. I understand that he may feel that he is a woman but the fact of the matter is that he has MALE attributes that don't belong in a FEMALE SPORT.

tiff

Banned
antonz said:
I thought the general practice was just to go along with whatever the person in question wanted.

Dead Man

Shanadeus said:
http://www.marsta.nu/multimedia/articleImages/2008/December/longdrive_pa_bodaholm_4_3b90ea44-0ad3-4aca-ab2e-c131f1da9746.jpg

Yeah, sums up my feelings.

antonz

NewGamePlus said:
Transgender people do not have an advantage in sports.

Also, there's no medical consensus on how to precisely define sex.

I'm not even going to try to address the rest of the ignorance in this thread. It's just depressing.

That link you provided does not back up your arguement at all. It specifically says Youths who decide to make the transition pre-puberty do not face the advantages gained from post puberty testosterone growth.

It also specifically mentions scrawny males who transition obviously wont have the advnatages that more muscular men would. In the end it backs up everything being said. Consider the person in question in this article was a Swat Officer etc for most of his life he can hardly be considered a pre puberty scrawny male in transition.

water_wendi

Water is not wet!
antonz said:
That link you provided does not back up your arguement at all. It specifically says Youths who decide to make the transition pre-puberty do not face the advantages gained from post puberty testosterone growth.

It also specifically mentions scrawny males who transition obviously wont have the advnatages that more muscular men would. In the end it backs up everything being said. Consider the person in question in this article was a Swat Officer etc for most of his life he can hardly be considered a pre puberty scrawny male in transition.
Hormone therapy changes muscle mass and fat distribution. The only thing unchanged would be voice, facial hair, and bone structure.

XiaNaphryz

SonnyBoy said:
HE shouldn't be allowed to play in the LPGA because HE is a MAN and will have a competitive advantage because of his MASCULINE attributes. I understand that he may feel that he is a woman but the fact of the matter is that he has MALE attributes that don't belong in a FEMALE SPORT.
This player wouldn't even crack the top 30 in driving average in the LPGA, assuming her winning drive length is something she can average and not just her max effort.

Dead Man

SonnyBoy said:
Bloody hell.

Slavik81

NewGamePlus said:
That report is very general, and is aimed at teachers who work with school children, not adult professional athletes. Nor is there a shred of empirical evidence in that report.

Further, if you actually take a look at what they cite for their claim:
As one survey of the existing research concludes, “the data available does not appear to suggest that transitioned athletes would compete at an advantage or disadvantage as compared with physically born men and women.” 14
it comes with this caveat:

It is important to stress that research to date on the effects of cross-sex hormone administration has not been conducted in an athlete population and no studies to date have specifically looked at performance variables in transitioned versus physically born men and women.64 Given this lack of research, inferences for transitioned athletes from the following research findings in general populations are speculative and would require further study

water_wendi said:
Hormone therapy changes muscle mass and fat distribution. The only thing unchanged would be voice, facial hair, and bone structure.

It changes them, but not completely.

I'm all for rights for Transgendered individuals, but not allowing people to have an unfair competitive advantage seems like pretty basic sense to me.

Slavik81

water_wendi said:
That's true to an extent. There's some interesting info in the review of scientific literature which NewGamePlus's link cited.

It's actually a very interesting and informative report. Though, keep in mind that this is for the general population, not for athletes.
Transitioned women receive estrogen supplementation to block or inhibit the biological effects of the hormones responsible for male sex characteristics. For transitioned women in the general population receiving this supplementation, the research found:72
Oxygen delivery:
• a possible decrease in oxygen delivery to the muscles during exercise due to decreased haemoglobin levels within one year of supplementation, and no further change after three years. These levels were comparable to physically born women.73
Muscle mass:
• decreased muscle mass within one year with only a slight further decrease after three years, but still on average greater than for physically born women. However, there is a dramatic range within both groups of women, and at the high end of the range, muscle mass is similar for both groups suggesting this may be the case in an athletic population.74
Fat content and distribution:
• an overall increase in percent body fat. However, total subcutaneous fat, the fat just under the skin, still appeared to be lower in transitioned women compared to physically born women after one year of supplementation.75
• a decrease in the body’s natural activity of breaking down fat in the abdominal and buttock areas.76
Weight:
• an increase in total body weight despite a decrease in muscle mass.77
Height:
• no study to date has recorded whether height has changed for transitioned women in response to cross-sex hormone administration.78
As noted above, in considering all of these findings, the review of the scientific literature finds that the lack of relevant research to date means ―there is no concrete evidence to support or refute the position that transitioned athletes compete at an advantage or disadvantage as compared with physically born men and women athletes.‖79
(source)

DrBo42

SonnyBoy said:
I think you're being a little obnoxious about it but in a way I kind of agree. Surgeries and hormone treatments will never change the fact that you're born what you are. You will always be either a man or woman depending on which gender you were born into. In a competitive sport, that's going to make a difference. I don't understand how that opinion is some sort of insensitive prick comment in our current world. I'm all for people being happy and doing whatever they need to, to feel comfortable in their skin or how they're perceived, but there are some things you can't change.

Gaborn

Snowman Prophet of Doom said:
It changes them, but not completely.

Can you define "completely"? In what area do you believe the golfer in question will have an unfair advantage. Based on their average drive distance they're in line with other LPGA golfers, and not the top tier of them either.

I'm all for rights for Transgendered individuals, but not allowing people to have an unfair competitive advantage seems like pretty basic sense to me.

Can you please state what that advantage is based on any information we have at present?

Slavik81

DrBo42 said:
I think you're being a little obnoxious about it but in a way I kind of agree. Surgeries and hormone treatments will never change the fact that you're born what you are. You will always be either a man or woman depending on which gender you were born into. In a competitive sport, that's going to make a difference. I don't understand how that opinion is some sort of insensitive prick comment in our current world. I'm all for people being happy and doing whatever they need to, to feel comfortable in their skin or how they're perceived, but there are some things you can't change.
Keep in mind that quite a few people who are transgendered are actually biologically transgendered. That is, that they have chromosomes that are neither normal for males, nor are normal for females.

While your rule might be simple, it's unfortunately unable to deal with cases that are actually difficult.

Gaborn said:
Can you define "completely"? In what area do you believe the golfer in question will have an unfair advantage. Based on their average drive distance they're in line with other LPGA golfers, and not the top tier of them either.
There's plenty of men whose driving range is in line with LPGA golfers. And yet, to put them on the LPGA would still be giving them an unfair advantage.

Just because her driving range is similar to that of an LPGA golfer does not necessarily mean that it would not be an unfair advantage. And it is, in fact, impossible to prove one way or another in any specific case whether it would be an unfair advantage or not, because you have no ability to test against the case in which she was born as a woman.

Since it's impossible to effectively evaluate what's an unfair advantage on a case-by-case basis, the only clear option is to choose a policy and stick with it.

I'll admit that wasn't the best report to back up my statement. In all honesty, I just felt really fucking awful getting back from a Transgender Day of Remembrance vigil and seeing a bunch of hate and ignorance in here. I don't mean from everyone saying she shouldn't compete, but just look up and you'll notice there are some really nasty things being said. I don't even actually want to talk about this right now. So the only other thing I'll say is, the Olympics do allow trans folk to compete, and there's no evidence supporting that they have an advantage.

MaximumX2

The Fool Who Follows Her
SonnyBoy said:

Your emphasis on pronouns leads me to believe that you are transphobic and therefore biased. SHE is a WOMAN and is probably more womanly than many women I know. Competitive advantage? Wouldn't you say that African Americans are typically more skilled at basketball than Caucasian players? Does this mean we segregate the teams? No. How about we divide the short players from the tall players? Such logic would lead one to believe that Muggsy Bogues was at a competitive disadvantage and should not have played for the NBA because he was inadequate. Each player has their own set of attributes regardless of what their gender or sex is. She is a woman, therefore she should be able to play for the LPGA. How would you feel if someone questioned your gender identity and said you were inadequate and could not do something other members of your sex were allowed to do?

Gaborn

Slavik81 said:
There's plenty of men whose driving range is in line with LPGA golfers. And yet, to put them on the LPGA would still be giving them an unfair advantage.

Just because her driving range is similar to that of an LPGA golfer does not necessarily mean that it would not be an unfair advantage. And it is, in fact, impossible to prove one way or another in any specific case whether it would be an unfair advantage or not, because you have no ability to test against the case in which she was born as a woman.

Since it's impossible to effectively evaluate what's an unfair advantage on a case-by-case basis, the only clear option is to choose a policy and stick with it.

But that's a totally different discussion than the one I thought we were having. I thought this was about an unfair advnatage and I'm still wondering what it is in regards to this case.

lexi

Banned
SonnyBoy said:

There are a few transgender people on GAF; while I appreciate there is a reasonable debate on whether this particular trans woman may have an unfair advantage, diatribe like that is just pure bigotry.

Dead Man

Gaborn said:
But that's a totally different discussion than the one I thought we were having. I thought this was about an unfair advnatage and I'm still wondering what it is in regards to this case.
Obviously her unfair advantage was to ever have had a penis. I thought it was obvious that this was the preferable state of affairs, and the only one that can be seen to give you an advantage in all areas of golf.

/homosuperior smugness

Replicant

lightless_shado said:
WELL OKAY I ADMIT I DON'T KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT GOLF.

damn gaf you can be such a harsh bitches.

Fixed. And I don't know anything about this game either. Do golfers need upper body strength? Most of them look kind of skinny.

DrBo42

Slavik81 said:
Keep in mind that quite a few people who are transgendered are actually biologically transgendered. That is, that they have chromosomes that are neither normal for males, nor are normal for females.

While your rule might be simple, it's unfortunately unable to deal with cases that are actually difficult.

Yeah, in those cases there's no simple answer. I'm only referring to biological males/biological females or whichever the proper nomenclature is. I never really want to say anything in threads like this because I don't want to hurt anyone's feelings or cause any bullshit. Anyway I apologize if anything I've said has been offensive to anyone, there are just certain things I don't agree with on the topic, but there's no animosity towards anyone.

loosus

Banned
You know, I'm 100% for respecting someone's right to "pick their gender" or whatever, and no government should discriminate any way, shape, or fashion against anyone.

But when it comes to a private organization, please leave them the fuck alone. This isn't the mid-20th century fight for civil rights or even the modern fight for homosexual rights. This person just sounds like he/she wants to ruin a good thing that -- for the most part -- actually fucking works just fine as-is. Not to mention the fact that, like I said, it's a private organization, anyway.

As I said, government should tolerate and respect beliefs and activities. On the other hand, don't throw a hissy when someone not in government chooses to ignore you, which is their right.

Dead Man

loosus said:
You know, I'm 100% for respecting someone's right to "pick their gender" or whatever, and no government should discriminate any way, shape, or fashion against anyone.

But when it comes to a private organization, please leave them the fuck alone. This isn't the mid-20th century fight for civil rights or even the modern fight for homosexual rights. This person just sounds like he/she wants to ruin a good thing that -- for the most part -- actually fucking works just fine as-is. Not to mention the fact that, like I said, it's a private organization, anyway.

As I said, government should tolerate and respect beliefs and activities. On the other hand, don't throw a hissy when someone not in government chooses to ignore you, which is their right.
It is an private organisation, but one with an effective monopoly on the sport. That makes it a bit easier to hold them publicly accountable for internal policies.

Gaborn

loosus said:

I would never argue for government intervention in something like this, but I think it's perfectly legitimate to question the purpose and logic behind rules like this. I mean, they can have any rule they want, just like, say, the boy scouts are free to discriminate against gay members, or the KKK is free to spew their bullshit. But just because a group is free to do something by law does not mean that other people cannot or should not question WHY they have the policies they do and if they serve the best interests of the sport.

Ultimately if there's a "remedy" to this I would agree it should come from the LPGA and nowhere else though.

Slavik81

Gaborn said:
As I mentioned, that's impossible to say for sure when you're considering only a single individual. The only way to make a reasonable guess is to take a statistical sampling of the performance of the performance of transgendered golfers and to compare it against a similar sampling of female golfers.

Similarly, it's impossible to say if any given man would be a better or worse golfer if they were born a woman. However, statistically, it's pretty well proven that men do better, so the LPGA assume that's true for him. From this, they separate leagues to account for the average differences between groups. Hence, they should probably put M-F transgendered individuals into whatever league M->F golfers statistically tend to be closest to.

That said, I'm not so sure that the distinctions that the leagues draw are meaningful. The best players in the world will nearly always have a genetic advantage. To distinguish categories on gender is a somewhat arbitrary choice if the sole justification is 'unfair advantage' because the winner in every category will have an 'unfair advantage' anyways.

That's really where the trouble stems from. Determining which league a person goes in should be based upon the principles as to why there exist multiple leagues. But the reason why there's multiple leagues is a bit fuzzy and self-conflicted, and so when some edge case comes along, you end up right in the middle of the fuzzyness without any clear answer.

Dead Man said:
Obviously her unfair advantage was to ever have had a penis. I thought it was obvious that this was the preferable state of affairs, and the only one that can be seen to give you an advantage in all areas of golf.

/homosuperior smugness
You're not a moron, but mocking your opponents like that makes it sound like you don't even understand the issues that they raise.

You're not going to convince anyone of anything like that.

Dead Man

Slavik81 said:
You're not a moron, but mocking your opponents like that makes it sound like you don't even understand the issues that they raise.

You're not going to convince anyone of anything like that.
Thanks for saying I'm not a moron, it means a lot. But I don't think anyone will be convinced of anything in this thread. People will make their arguments, some will make more sense than others, some will be more popular than others, and in the end people will for the most part believe what they believed before entering the thread. I am sick of bigots refusing to even change the damn pronoun they use, so I got a bit snarky.

I like what you say about categories being a bit abitrary, and what you say about genetic advantage. These are very true, and it is somewhat of a historical accident that we have men's and women's leagues, but not ones for colour of skin.

lexi said:
There are a few transgender people on GAF; while I appreciate there is a reasonable debate on whether this particular trans woman may have an unfair advantage, diatribe like that is just pure bigotry.
To suggest that an adult male who chops off their penis, takes synthetic hormones, and puts on some lipstick is the equivalent of a natural woman is an affront to the female gender. Indulging surgical transgenders is support for misogyny, misandry, and homophobia. You are accusing others of bigotry when infact you are a bigot, and consequently, a hypocrite.

lexi

Banned
Triplicate said:
To suggest that an adult male who chops off their penis, takes synthetic hormones, and puts on some lipstick is the equivalent of a natural woman is an affront to the female gender. Indulging surgical transgenders is support for misogyny, misandry, and homophobia. You are accusing others of bigotry when infact you are a bigot, and consequently, a hypocrite.

I can't tell if this is trolling, but it's pretty good if it is. 8/10

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom