• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trevor Noah to replace John Stewart on The Daily Show

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBY

Banned
While certainly questionable, jokes about race/ethnicity are part of his routine. And his mom is half-Jewish.

I'm sure Comedy Central knew about this when they made the decision.

Those are past questionable imo- but really, they just suck.

Either way, interested to see how the show goes.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
This is going to end badly. It's sad to watch a show I religiously watched for over a decade go up in flames. Comedy Central's management of Jon and Stephen leaving has proven to be completely incompetent I doubt they were blindsided by the decisions of both of their top talents leaving and should have been planning something instead of throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks.

The network deserves to die the fiery death that is surely headed their way. Maybe Broad City can get picked up by HBO.
Comedy Central should just be a network that constantly airs new comers stand up and big name specials. They surely can't fuck that up.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
If I dismissed every comedian who's ever made a lazy, offensive joke on Twitter...

I think it's just kinda asinine to go on a treasure hunt for bad tweets by comedians in order to craft some clickbait articles and manufacture a controversy.

If I dismissed every comedian who's ever made a lazy, offensive joke on Twitter...

I think it's just kinda asinine to go on a treasure hunt for bad tweets by comedians in order to craft some clickbait articles and manufacture a controversy.

it was started last night by rightwing outlets. Its transparent what they're doing.

So he's not a fan of jews?

mh21X1O.jpg

None of those jokes are antisemetic in the slightest IMO, as a jew. They are lazy as all heck but half of stewart's shtick is old yiddish jokes is this something new?

edit: when the ADL goes to bat for you...

http://www.mediaite.com/online/head...e-gives-trevor-noah-the-benefit-of-the-doubt/

DOWN

Banned
Ugh, the "Jewish chicks" and "#BeatsByDreidel" ones are pretty fucking gross, actually. Especially when you consider his current boss and the man he's replacing is possibly the most respected Jewish comedian working today. I can only hope he's reconsidered his stance in the past few years.

he's right about Israel though
I too hope he can do better than those tweets, but as for how long he has had to reconsider, it's not years. Some of the tweets getting attention are only from 2014.

Back in the day comics used to try out new material at dive bars and when it bombed nobody would know about it. Now they try out their material on twitter and it lives on forever.

BigDug13

Was Jon Stewart a brilliant stand-up comedian? Was Craig Kilborn? Was Colbert?

I think he can do fine as long as he keeps most of what's been working and as long as he has a sharp mind for American politics. Stewart knows quite a bit about whatever topic that is being discussed with each guest, and he seems to take the time to at least become intimately familiar with the book, movie, documentary, whatever is being plugged.

Trevor has a lot to prove, but it's not like Stewart was the paragon of hilarious stand-up before getting the gig.

Fusebox

Banned
I don't mind the unfunny attempts at self-deprecating Jewish humor, it was the uppercutting women who don't say yes to marriage proposals gag that really stuck in my craw.

Vice

This is going to end badly. It's sad to watch a show I religiously watched for over a decade go up in flames. Comedy Central's management of Jon and Stephen leaving has proven to be completely incompetent I doubt they were blindsided by the decisions of both of their top talents leaving and should have been planning something instead of throwing shit at the wall and hoping it sticks.

The network deserves to die the fiery death that is surely headed their way. Maybe Broad City can get picked up by HBO.
Comedy Central should just be a network that constantly airs new comers stand up and big name specials. They surely can't fuck that up.

You can't keep talent locked down. Colbert got a great offer and Stewart wants to make films. Once their contracts are up there's not much they can do. Realistically, The Daily Show will he fine since it has a great staff of writers.

ninanuam

Banned
I dunno about this guy, I've seen some of his stuff and its ok but the guy comes off as insincere, obviously ambitious and off puttingly smug and worst of all it all shows.

I understand you need some or all of these qualities to succeed in a major way but please try to hide it just a little better.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I haven't watched the show in years, but is he a regular? I'm surprised it wasn't Jason Jones or whoever else was left in the earlier era.

Dan

No longer boycotting the Wolfenstein franchise
I haven't watched the show in years, but is he a regular? I'm surprised it wasn't Jason Jones or whoever else was left in the earlier era.

No. Trevor Noah has done three bits on TDS, between December and now.

Jason Jones is leaving to do a sitcom for TBS alongside Samantha Bee. They're also working on some kind of newsy program for Bee to host at TBS, too. They've long been selling shows to other networks trying to get something off the ground. A few pilots and development deals, now something has stuck.

Apt101

I only know him from his few segments on the show, and with those I wasn't terribly impressed. If he's getting the nod then I am sure he has Stewart's support. I'm guessing he has a gift for political satire that we haven't seen yet but that Stewart and CC are well aware of having worked with him. I'll be optimistic, but first impressions of genuinely good comedians are usually very strong, and if he hadn't popped back up in the news I wouldn't have even remembered his name.

I personally think Jason Jones was really the only one who had the chops or experience to take over.

But beyond that maybe somebody new. Somebody out of left field not associated with the daily show.

siddx

Magnificent Eager Mighty Brilliantly Erect Registereduser
Nothing he said was offensive to anyone who isn't running around the internet looking for things to offend them. They weren't funny either though. Not a fan of his humor, very basic and unoriginal.
But he deserves a chance to prove me wrong, I hope he succeeds and rocks the daily show.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
No. Trevor Noah has done three bits on TDS, between December and now.

Jason Jones is leaving to do a sitcom for TBS alongside Samantha Bee. They're also working on some kind of newsy program for Bee to host at TBS, too. They've long been selling shows to other networks trying to get something off the ground. A few pilots and development deals, now something has stuck.
Wow, so none of the originals are left anymore? Man, time passes.

Necrovex

I am excited to see Trevor take over. I've seen some of his standups and skits and loved it. But I am also an American living in South Africa, so I can relate to a lot of his jokes between the US and SA.

So he's not a fan of jews?

mh21X1O.jpg
Wow, people are really reaching to hate this dude, none of those are antisemetic in the slightest.

The problem here is that South Africa is a very open place. I have watched almost everything Noah has done and the difference in how American audiences react to race paints a very interesting place of your country. For example, Noah does a joke where he says 'I come from a mixed family, well by that I mean I was the mixed one' and this joke kills it in South Africa, the UK and everywhere else I have seen however when he did the joke in America there was just silence. I think the problem is just that you guys a very, very uncomfortable with being open about race or making jokes without prejudice. So when he makes a joke about 'white women' or 'Jewish women' you guys get all anxious.

-edit- I just saw that people are running around about him doing a Hitler joke as well. He has a friend called Hitler. In South Africa people name their children after famous leaders and he was joking about how it's normal to him but Americans freak out.

I thought his mum was a black South African ?
Black South Africans can't be Jewish?

Apt101

Wow, people are really reaching to hate this dude, none of those are antisemetic in the slightest.

The problem here is that South Africa is a very open place. I have watched almost everything Noah has done and the difference in how American audiences react to race paints a very interesting place of your country.

For example, Noah does a joke where he says 'I come from a mixed family, well by that I mean I was the mixed one' and this joke kills it in South Africa, the UK and everywhere else I have seen however when he did the joke in America there was just silence.

I think the problem is just that you guys a very, very uncomfortable with being open about race or making jokes without prejudice. So when he makes a joke about 'white women' or 'Jewish women' you guys get all anxious.

You have the wrong impression of Americans. 99% of our comedy, particularly standup, is a million times more politically incorrect and offensive. A minute of Louie C.K.'s standup makes this (Noah's tweets) look like grade school jokes.

Just because a small collection of Americans are offended by these tweets doesn't mean many of us are, or that our comedy is somehow muted.

Funny in his own way but I am not sure how he fits in with what the Daily Show is. Sounds like it will change the show to something completely different.

Kaladin

Funny in his own way but I am not sure how he fits in with what the Daily Show is. Sounds like it will change the show to something completely different.

Sounds like the exact reason I don't like Larry Willmore. Completely changed that show and not for the better.

ninanuam

Banned
Sounds like the exact reason I don't like Larry Willmore. Completely changed that show and not for the better.

This I don't understand, Larry Wilmore's show isn't "the Colbert Report with Larry Wilmore" its a different show. It's not as good as The Colbert Report but its good in its own way.

The Colbert report didn't change, it no longer exists and a NEW show is in the same timeslot.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Be nice if the dude was funny but everything I've seen so far says otherwise. Seems like a hack. I'm not against him hosting the show though but I seriously doubt I'll be watching.

Kaladin

This I don't understand, Larry Wilmore's show isn't "the Colbert Report with Larry Wilmore" its a different show. It's not as good as The Colbert Report but its good in its own way.

The Colbert report didn't change, it no longer exists and a NEW show is in the same timeslot.

While this is true, the main reason they didn't call it The Colbert Report is because it was called The Colbert Report. Aside from the panel thing (which I haven't liked in any episode I have sampled) it's still the same show. Larry Willmore just has a different sense of humor and it's not as appealing as Colbert.

justjohn

The problem here is that South Africa is a very open place. I have watched almost everything Noah has done and the difference in how American audiences react to race paints a very interesting place of your country. For example, Noah does a joke where he says 'I come from a mixed family, well by that I mean I was the mixed one' and this joke kills it in South Africa, the UK and everywhere else I have seen however when he did the joke in America there was just silence. I think the problem is just that you guys a very, very uncomfortable with being open about race or making jokes without prejudice. So when he makes a joke about 'white women' or 'Jewish women' you guys get all anxious.

-edit- I just saw that people are running around about him doing a Hitler joke as well. He has a friend called Hitler. In South Africa people name their children after famous leaders and he was joking about how it's normal to him but Americans freak out.

His mum is a Xhosa black South African.

YoungHav

Banned
I thought his mum was a black South African ?
LOL a black South African can be Jewish. Anyway wiki says she is half Jewish. The "outrage" is the equivalent of the Al Sharpton boycotting Tiger Woods for making black jokes.

Anyway I've met full black Jews living in the U.S., who were Jewish for generations.

While this is true, the main reason they didn't call it The Colbert Report is because it was called The Colbert Report. Aside from the panel thing (which I haven't liked in any episode I have sampled) it's still the same show. Larry Willmore just has a different sense of humor and it's not as appealing as Colbert.

Colbert's writers left with him. It's a new show.

That does explain things.

Hope the same doesn't happen to The Daily Show, as it does seem that it will still be The Daily Show.

The difference this time is that Stewart is not going to another comedy show so I can't anybody who would choose to leave, especially since comedy writing isn't the easiest profession to get into and there isn't usually much job security.

Slayven

Hopeifully with new blood the Daily Show can go back to being funny and right, over the years they just settled for being right.

DietRob

You can't keep talent locked down. Colbert got a great offer and Stewart wants to make films. Once their contracts are up there's not much they can do. Realistically, The Daily Show will he fine since it has a great staff of writers.

I guess my post came off the wrong way. I never expected CC to lock down Colbert, he 'won television'. I also fully expected Jon to retire at some point. My disappointment in CC is how unprepared they were for these two inevitable events.

Ultima_5

Ugh, the "Jewish chicks" and "#BeatsByDreidel" ones are pretty fucking gross, actually. Especially when you consider his current boss and the man he's replacing is possibly the most respected Jewish comedian working today. I can only hope he's reconsidered his stance in the past few years.

he's right about Israel though

and he's part jewish.

as someone who's jewish and easily offended I don't think that any of those are that bad. I feel like youre trying to hard with the bolded

he's not wrong. I don't know how people on the internet do it. they're constantly outraged by every thing, yet I assume live some semblance of normal lives.

riotous

Banned
I don't mind the unfunny attempts at self-deprecating Jewish humor, it was the uppercutting women who don't say yes to marriage proposals gag that really stuck in my craw.

Why?

He's satiring archaic views of acceltable violence towards women.

Really seems like truly an Internet faux outrage campaign.

Fox Mulder

There are countless edgy and offensive comedians that connect with the American audience. The Chappelle Show was huge for comedy central and wasn't shy about race comedy.

This guy's jokes just look lazy as shit.

DietRob

I'm only offended with how awful Noah's 'jokes' are. Not the content.

Like I keep saying though I'll give TDS a shot with him. I hope that changes my mind about him. TDS has the best writing staff in the biz so the opportunity is there just don't let Noah write ANYTHING.

There are countless edgy and offensive comedians that connect with the American audience. The Chappelle Show was huge for comedy central and wasn't shy about race comedy.

And this is the real issue. Stewart is informed and caring in regards to his satire and it shows. This guy seems lazy, and judging by his stand up, not terribly concerned with politics. It reeks of Comedy Central attempting to marry the daily show and the Colbert report and target a hip young audience.

BigDug13

And this is the real issue. Stewart is informed and caring in regards to his satire and it shows. This guy seems lazy, and judging by his stand up, not terribly concerned with politics. It reeks of Comedy Central attempting to marry the daily show and the Colbert report and target a hip young audience.

It seems like he was the only correspondent on staff that was willing to accept the job and CC just didn't cast a wider net out there for a replacement.

I watched the video of his stand-up that many people in this thread are praising and didn't laugh once. Hopefully he's funnier as host of TDS. Having writers should help a lot.

Exactly. You want to be offensive in your comedy? That's fine, but you better make damn sure you're funny.

Every single one of the Trevor Noah tweets that have been highlighted in the past few days are terrible hack shit.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom