• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Tribes Ascend Beta Thread: Shazbot!

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Since no character wipes are planned this might as well be a (limited) release.

RE: Dueling
Is there any etiquette with regards to duels? As in, if you see two people duking it out, is it considered bad form to rush in and help your teammate?

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Lead Based Paint said:
haha yea me too. VIP status get.
i'm embracing the terrifying future. like when your dad bought a studded belt and x-ed up his fists for a foo fighters gig.

ghst said:
i'm embracing the terrifying future. like when your dad bought a studded belt and x-d up his fists for a foo fighters gig.

Just like all the laser discs I bought in preparation for the future! lol

The only real downside is how shitty the client is they're are using. All of my friends I got to get this game had trouble just getting the game installed. That right there makes it really hard to good hype rolling. Once they got in though they really loved it though.

Halycon said:
Since no character wipes are planned this might as well be a (limited) release.

Is there any etiquette with regards to duels? As in, if you see two people duking it out, is it considered bad form to rush in and help your teammate?

Drive by that shit and help or take the kill.

ghst

thanks for the laugh
fizzelopeguss said:
You were just in a game right? think i saw your name.
yeah, i was just toying around with a couple of new classes SINCE I FUCKING PAID FOR THEM.

no. i'm alright with this.

i'm al-right with...this.

Jak140

Does this game crash a few minutes later almost every time you try to access the in-game menu between rounds for anyone else? So annoying.

jambo

Halycon said:

It's a team game, so unless your chasing a flag carrier, get in there and fight!

Jak140 said:
Does this game crash a few minutes later almost every time you try to access the in-game menu between rounds for anyone else? So annoying.

Yeah my a couple of my friends have been having that issue.

Grayman

ghst said:
i'm embracing the terrifying future. like when your dad bought a studded belt and x-ed up his fists for a foo fighters gig.
It sounds so dirty but I will probably join this week. If there are no perfect games to buy I must go to the least terrible and most fun.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I might give this a look since BF3 doesn't feel as fresh as a new MP game used to feel. Run/hide/look into ironsights - I've been doing this since 2007. It's time for something different.

Elixist

anybody kno if i could get it to run decent on my laptop i7 2630, 540m? you guys are making me fiend lol might hafta grab that 30 dollar pack if i can get 30 frames at least.

Elixist said:
anybody kno if i could get it to run decent on my laptop i7 2630, 540m? you guys are making me fiend lol might hafta grab that 30 dollar pack if i can get 30 frames at least.

It should run great as far as I know (Friends computers are much worse than yours)

Liberty4all

Banned
subversus said:
I might give this a look since BF3 doesn't feel as fresh as a new MP game used to feel. Run/hide/look into ironsights - I've been doing this since 2007. It's time for something different.

Yeah it's nice not having ironsights as weird as that sounds.

This game is all about mind blazing speed and reflexes.

GcRayden

If anyone has a free key, I could really use one. I really really really want to play this and I've been a tribes fan forever, I just want to try it before I seal the deal. Just send me a PM if you come across one! :)

Elixist

thx again for key Rexor :) . Game is pretty fun need some more practice im rusty hehe, runs decent on my laptop too.

Haly

Reading the official forums makes me want to stop playing Tribes.

KiKaL

subversus said:

I caved in and picked this up. I didn't want to because I had just gotten BF3...I haven't gone back to BF3 since getting this. Even though this is a game a played years ago, it does feel like something fresh and new.

Liberty4all

Banned
KiKaL said:
I caved in and picked this up. I didn't want to because I had just gotten BF3...I haven't gone back to BF3 since getting this. Even though this is a game a played years ago, it does feel like something fresh and new.

Same. I get hOme every night ready to split between tribes and bf3 but somehow it ends up just being tribes all night long. I feel like I timewarped back to me circa pc gaming 1999.

This is a good thing.

KiKaL

Bamelin said:
Same. I get hOme every night ready to split between tribes and bf3 but somehow it ends up just being tribes all night long. I feel like I timewarped back to me circa pc gaming 1999.

This is a good thing.

Hah Im guessing you have tried to jetpack and ski when you actually do play BF3 like me. Very weird games to jump between.

Liberty4all

Banned
KiKaL said:
Hah Im guessing you have tried to jetpack and ski when you actually do play BF3 like me. Very weird games to jump between.

No, you don't understand ... I literally haven't played a game of BF3 from the day I downloaded Tribes Ascend.

I keep meaning to play BF3 but 20 min of Tribes turns into 5 hours every night ... soon it's going to be like the good ol days of Friday nights playing Tribes complete with pizza box by PC and cola.

Tribes was the PC game (actually it was my first multiplayer PC game ever) that made me realize I didn't have to go out on the weekends to have a good time .... I never looked back. I owe the franchise a big debt of gratitude for making life a fantastic thing to live in the late 90's and early 2000's

Haly

I kind of regret buying Infiltrator, not sure what I'm supposed to do with him other than sneaking around their base and blowing up their generator. Or taking out their snipers. The irony, of course, is that since I spend most of my time being invisible, I can't tell where the snipers are because they can't see me.

Also lol get one shotted by heavies.

ultron87

mkenyon said:
First person to finish this line gets a free beta key.

"All my life hauling turrets around"

"god damn base***** and the gens are down" ?

I totally didn't just Google that. *shifty eyes*

mkenyon

Banned
Also, wanted to make a post on my thoughts about this game.

For background, I was a top 10 OGL triber, played for ASK, DPG (which became 5150), and SiR. For whatever miracle reason, the group of best buds of mine in Jr. High and High School were all in the same category, some playing for S3, Fairy Princess of Nala Nala, and Vanguard. These are the folks I still play with to this day. Stopped playing after T2 came out because of a combination of being 17 and getting tail, as well as not enjoying it as much as T1.

I LOVE THIS GAME. It captures the essence so well. I actually like the class system. It forces more strict roles which allows for a greater depth of tactics, IMO. Much better than the requisite chain + disc + nade for EVERY light player in T1.

Just hit level 12 last night, most of my play has been LD/Chaser as Ranger and Jumper. Just finished maxing out both of their trees as well. Think I will try Raider next. Loving both of those classes quite a bit, finally got the bolt launcher down. Great chasing weapon, it feels like a mix of the disc launcher and nade from T1.

Been mostly playing with a group of 6+ buddies semi-organized, and there's a lot of depth here that's going to be fun to explore competitively. Granted, that meta game will be changing a lot with various balance changes and inventive strategies. Mine-disc wasn't day one.

I told my wife last weekend to consider me on vacation, and act like I wasn't even there. I played SO much, and I can't stop thinking about it at work. Must go play more!

GWX

mkenyon said:
Sent. Still have two more. Next one:

What weapon was frowned upon in T1 duels?

I wish I was a Tribes veteran to answer that =(
Any love for a gamer that wants to get to know this franchise by testing this new title?

mkenyon

Banned
GWX said:
I wish I was a Tribes veteran to answer that =(
Any love for a gamer that wants to get to know this franchise by testing this new title?
This won me over. PM sent. One left, goes to the person that answers the question above.

Metalic Sand

who is Emo-Beas?
mkenyon said:
This won me over. PM sent. One left, goes to the person that answers the question above.

Wouldn't it be the plasma launcher? the green grenade thing. Those were quiet annoying back then.

I personally used the shotgun mostly with a chameleon pack though ;)

Edit: It was called the fusion mortar :/

mkenyon said:

Whats your advice on getting good with the Ranger primary weap? I consider myself pretty good at the game but I can not get the hang of it. Tbh the same with the jumper's crossbow.

I mostly stick to soldier, pathfinder, raider myself so it feels like I am only using easier weapons :(

Liberty4all

Banned
mkenyon said:
Sent. Still have two more. Next one:

What weapon was frowned upon in T1 duels?

The sniper rifle obviously.

People hated it with a passion. Truth is though it took real mad skillz to get off a sniper shot while dueling at 200 + km per hour while skiing up and down hills.

I'm a sad panda they have greatly toned down the damage it does in Tribes Ascend. In T1 it was a 2 shot kill ... 1 shot kill if you got a headshot.

mkenyon

Banned
Lead Based Paint said:
Whats your advice on getting good with the Ranger primary weap? I consider myself pretty good at the game but I can not get the hang of it. Tbh the same with the jumper's crossbow.

I mostly stick to soldier, pathfinder, raider myself so it feels like I am only using easier weapons :(
Do you mean the Assault Rifle or the Thumper? The thumper is a close range destroy everything weapon, probably the easiest to use. Assault Rifle is strictly for chasing or finishing off someone after a thumper shot or two. Definitely not to be used as an initiating weap.

The key is to keep movement erratic, and always position yourself just on the other crest of a hill. Keeps you safe from discs unless they play the MA game well.

With both the thumper and crossbow, you just need to feel that arc intrinsically. Just continue to use them until you're not guessing, you know right where to put the cursor. Basically, lots and lots of practice.

Bamelin said:
The sniper rifle obviously.

People hated it with a passion. Truth is though it took real mad skillz to get off a sniper shot while dueling at 200 + km per hour while skiing up and down hills.

I'm a sad panda they have greatly toned down the damage it does in Tribes Ascend. In T1 it was a 2 shot kill ... 1 shot kill if you got a headshot.
Sniper rifle was 2 shots no matter what, head shot would just take them down into the red. Though in our circles, it wasn't frowned upon in duels as it used up most of your energy.

Wasn't the mortar either, as duels were a strictly light affair.

*hint* People were referred to as (blank)whores.

Keasar

I feel envy. :(
I wanna play this too, I miss the old days of Tribes, skiing and blasting peoples face in a drive-by with the disc launcher.

mkenyon

Banned
You know, you can still pre-purchase the game, which is a way of essentially getting access to gold used to buy classes, and VIP status. It's worth every penny.

Keasar

mkenyon said:
You know, you can still pre-purchase the game, which is a way of essentially getting access to gold used to buy classes, and VIP status. It's worth every penny.
Problem being only that I am short on cash for this month and I got Saints Row The Third and Zelda planned down the pipe, not to mention I am attending this years Dreamhack so I need to have my wallet ready for that too. Will look into it if I can make it perhaps go round.

Keasar

Quick question, since this beta seem to involve XP boosters and apparently gold, does everything I unlock/earn in it transfer when the game is officially released?

Top Bottom