• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump takes shots at Kaepernick, ‘Get that son of a bitch off the field’

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fire-chief-uses-racial-slur-steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-anthem-protest/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=42754963

THERE it is! Let it out buddy, you've been so angry you had to cheer a black coach for so long. "Tomlin just added himself to the list of "no good n____s. Yes I said it."

Oh but he apologized, so it's fine. He didn't really mean it.

Ah, all is forgiven!

"I was frustrated and angry at the Steelers not standing the anthem." Oh, the Pewdiepie way.

Twist:
lBfpObE.png

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/912628271426269185

This is basically what happens hen you compromise on injustice instead of standing (or kneeling in this case) against it. All most NFL teams did yesterday was muddy the waters to the point that any meaningful message was lost and it was basically just as much of a PR stunt as playing the anthem before the games in the first place.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/fire-chief-uses-racial-slur-steelers-coach-mike-tomlin-anthem-protest/?ftag=CNM-00-10aab7e&linkId=42754963

THERE it is! Let it out buddy, you've been so angry you had to cheer a black coach for so long. "Tomlin just added himself to the list of "no good n____s. Yes I said it."

Ah this guy, congrats for pointing out exactly why these people are kneeling in the first place.

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America
A coworker posted a Facebook meme with the header "this is for all the football players who didn't respect our anthem yesterday."

It was a picture of an AR 15 that was painted with the Confederate flag and subtitled "The General Robert E Lee AR 15."

He's also absolutely not a racist and is appalled that you damn liberals always seem to go to that.

Interfectum

Idiot republicans on my Facebook feed are talking about burning their NFL season tickets. LOL

I love all these delicate snowflakes getting so mad.

Hubbl3

Unconfirmed Member

"I am embarrassed at this. I want to apologize. I was frustrated and angry at the Steelers not standing the anthem. This had nothing to do with my Fire Department. I regret what I said."

"My fire department should have never been dragged into this. It was a bad judgement by me, for which I am very embarrassed, for them and my township."

Sounds like he had a "heated gaming moment".

Weird that he would default to racism while being angry that players are protesting during the national anthem to spotlight racism in America. It's almost like he's proving their point
Twitter-Thinking-Face.png

Loudninja

A coworker posted a Facebook meme with the header "this is for all the football players who didn't respect our anthem yesterday."

It was a picture of an AR 15 that was painted with the Confederate flag and subtitled "The General Robert E Lee AR 15."

He's also absolutely not a racist and is appalled that you damn liberals always seem to go to that.
Its funny to see the "I am not a racist defense " after saying something racist.

Toddler in chief has been relegated to the role of cultist carnival barker at this point. Imagine how bad it's going to get over the next few years, with that being all he has. He speaks about love of country but he displays nothing but contempt for it and us.

Grug

The hilariously sad thing is that the Fire Chief's apology basically comes across as "Sorry, I got caught up in the heat of the moment... Mike Tomlin isn't really on my list with all those other no good n*****s."

iapetus

Scary Euro Man
The hilariously sad thing is that the Fire Chief's apology basically comes across as "Sorry, I got caught up in the heat of the moment... Mike Tomlin isn't really on my list with all those other no good n*****s."

He's a racist shit, and should now be an unemployed racist shit.

There, I said it.

As if there is any possible excuse for it, like an apology is even applicable to something like that. Forgiveness is bullshit anyways, especially in this case.

Lubricus

But Trump wouldn’t have said it if it had nothing to do with race. His policy agenda is stalled; his relationship with congressional leaders is non-existent; the Mueller investigation looms. In these moments, Trump has always retreated back to what got him here: ginning up the grievances of a disaffected white base while cloaking himself in a crude patriotism. This was the story of Trump the candidate and it’s the story of Trump the president as well.

https://newrepublic.com/minutes/144992/donald-trump-will-never-stop-racist-president

A political move on Trump's part, hopefully he gets in deeper doo-doo by starting this crap. He has lost so much power, everyone realizes this is an impotent man.

Ponn

Banned

It's one of the most infuriating thing about this presidency. We know damn well what most of this shit is about with Trump and his supporters but the media and people in general are forced to play along till one of them screwup and let it slip.

If Trump and his supporters really, truly honestly cared about unity and division then the most logical step from the very beginning would have been to simply ask "why are you kneeling?". "let's have this discussion and talk it out". Not once has that been offered or even considered though, same thing with anything having to do with BLM. Yet time and time again I hear "Don't shout down Trump supporters, or altright or freaking Nazis. Hear them out and their concerns".

JustenP88

I earned 100 Gamerscore™ for collecting 300 widgets and thereby created Trump's America

I hope someone (Mike Tomlin) confronts him and demands to see the list lol.

hbkdx12

It's one of the most infuriating thing about this presidency. We know damn well what most of this shit is about with Trump and his supporters but the media and people in general are forced to play along till one of them screwup and let it slip.

If Trump and his supporters really, truly honestly cared about unity and division then the most logical step from the very beginning would have been to simply ask "why are you kneeling?". "let's have this discussion and talk it out". Not once has that been offered or even considered though, same thing with anything having to do with BLM. Yet time and time again I hear "Don't shout down Trump supporters, or altright or freaking Nazis. Hear them out and their concerns".
Why do all of that when you're part of a dominant society that is more than willing to let you straw man the issues of those who are impacted and marginalized into a whole other matter entirely.

FyreWulff

BriGuy

Its like I reading the same Trump tweets over and over again.
You are, because the (manufactured) narrative is a winner for him. His base is all riled up now. Less engaged people who don't even know what the hell the protest is about at least know that they're supposed to "support" the troops and the flag, so they're against anything perceived to run counter to that.

The truth doesn't matter anymore.

I know a lot of people are arguing (quite rightly to some extent) that the actions taken by some of the teams and players are moving away from the original point of the protest.

But.

When I look at the NFL social media feeds I follow, I'm still seeing the Trump-supporting racist factions getting really upset by it. And when people (other fans, veterans, a wide cross section of the country and beyond) are responding to them, they're not just making vague noises about unity, they're talking about the actual issues that this all started with. So even if the teams and players aren't making the right point in the right way, it's still leading to the real issues being talked about front and center, and the bullshit of the don't-disrespect-the-flag crowd being called out. Which can't be a bad thing.

Yeah, that stood out to me in the Mulder/Scully Twitter feed posted above.

Some people were like "stupid actors, was the anthem playing in your photo studio? What are you even protesting? You're wealthy!" To which the replies came "it's not about protesting a song or troops".

The deflection completely backfired. People are having to confront the issue they would have gladly ignored previously.

cameron

I also see from this new story that Villanueva realized he threw his team under the bus?

Yes. He also supports those who kneel.
The rest of the team remained in the tunnel. "I made my teammates look bad, and that is my fault, and my fault only," Villanueva said. "We as a team tried to figure it out, but obviously butchered it."

The former Army Ranger says he is absolutely okay if teammates kneel or sit during the national anthem.

"People that are taking a knee are not saying anything negative about the military, they're not saying anything negative about the flag, they're just trying to protest that there are some injustices in America," Villanueva said.

He says some players who have been kneeling during anthems have even approached him before or after games and thanked him for his service including other players in the NFC North.

Sales of Villanueva's jerseys have skyrocketed since video of him standing outside the tunnel during the national anthem.

"I unintentionally left my teammates behind. I wasn't planning to boycott the plan the Steelers came up with," Villanueva said.

"For anybody who thinks Coach Tomlin is not as patriotic as you can get in America, or any one of my teammates, or the owner, I take offense to that," Villanueva said. "I made coach Tomlin look bad, and that is my fault and my fault only," he said.
https://www.cbsnews.com/news/steele...va-nfl-national-anthem-protest-chicago-bears/

Slayven

http://www.wcvb.com/article/massachusetts-official-to-kneeling-patriots-dance-monkey-dance/12467436

A Brockton parks commissioner is under fire after a social media comment he made about the kneeling members of the New England Patriots, calling the players “turds” and monkeys for not standing for the U.S. national anthem at Sunday’s game.

The Enterprise reports Stephen V. Pina, who sits on the Brockton Parks and Recreation Commission, commented on a social media post about the players kneeling during the national anthem, writing that the athletes aren’t being paid for their politics, adding the the words, “dance monkey dance.”

Not about race

tbm24

I'm upset no one in that news video asked who's still on his list.

People sure are making it easy to argue how athletes are viewed as low key slaves, regardless of how much money they earn.

I also see from this new story that Villanueva realized he threw his team under the bus?

Oh and those flag lovers hate him for that now. Twitter loons feel betrayed that he apologized to his team and feel he must have been threatened. Lots of "You were my hero!" and "How could you do this to the fans that bought your merchandise in support!?" It's weird.

NeonBlack

It was a mistake. You've never had your fingers type out racial slurs really fast and hit send?

tbm24

"The only way out"

What the fuck does that mean? That clearly sounds like a goddamn threat.

Trump is going all in to brand a majority black sport as unpatriotic. Fucking bold move I gotta say, lets see how far racism goes over the love of football.

Leunam

This is incredible.

I knew I would hear about this at work once I saw the Cowboys take a knee. What I didn't realize was that I would hear craziness as I was walking in the door.

One of my coworkers was on the phone outside canceling his service with Nationwide. Then he tells me he's done with Papa John's and then the NFL. He's definitely being less rational then usual.

fertygo

I don't understand why this is so fucking big deal for this orange shit stain and his audience

being so fucking angry over silence protest gesture

why.. WHY

Top Bottom