• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump: Trans Soldiers now barred from the military entirely

pdog128

Didn't read through the thread, not sure if this has been posted.

Politico reporting ban had to do with getting money for border wall.

House Republicans were planning to pass a spending bill stacked with his campaign promises, including money to build his border wall with Mexico.

But an internal House Republican fight over transgender troops was threatening to blow up the bill. And House GOP insiders feared they might not have the votes to pass the legislation because defense hawks wanted a ban on Pentagon-funded sex reassignment operations — something GOP leaders wouldn't give them.

They turned to Trump, who didn't hesitate. In the flash of a tweet, he announced that transgender troops would be banned altogether.

Juicy Bob

There's some sort of automatic timer built into the POTUS Twitter account to prevent quick fire tweets for security reasons, I assume.

Zolo

This is never going to fly. Even among Non Evangelical Republicans there is backlash. The Navy with its new Aircraft carrier made entirely Gender Neutral bathrooms. No more Urinals or anything all toilets in stalls.

That's the smart decision anyway since this would just go back with the next president anyway.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Fucking how, explain it motherfucker.

It's crap like this and the general dog piling with anyone who has a differing view is why decent discussion with folks of opposing views doesn't take place on GAF.

You are part of the problem.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
It's crap like this and the general dog piling with anyone who has a differing view is why decent discussion with folks of opposing views doesn't take place on GAF.

What's there to discuss at this point? It was a bigoted move from a bigoted person for his bigoted party just to get rid of something the black man before him did. Am I missing something?

Um, not that I disagree with your general statement, but did you even read the vague shitpost comment they were responding to? I wouldn't be in my right mind, either, if someone posted "Trump is right. I'm in the military. Letting trans people serve would hurt the war effort".

xxracerxx

Don't worry, I'll vouch for them.
What's their to discuss at this point? It was a bigoted move from a bigoted person for his bigoted party just to get rid of something the black man before him did. Am I missing something?

Don't forget the possibility of this move contributing to his fucking wall between the US and Mexico.

watershed

Banned

You have a point but it's hard to expect everyone to control their emotions when reacting to this news and replying to someone who basically says "yes, I support discrimination."

Jeremy

Thanks for calling this guy out. I'll repost OverHeat's follow-up to make sure that he's being adequately heard and represented.

Ok, first of all just for the shower situation it was already a mess trying to fit a schedule for women and man. Now where do you fit the transgender? I don't have anything against people who decided to change sex. But seriously in a job that already as problem with sexual misconduct, I think it's to early to mix all that. It's only an opinion by the way

That's not the problem, it's the mentality that run deep within the combat trades seriously people who are different get one hell of a hard time sometime, discrimination and harassment are one of the big reason op honor was created.

Thanks for being a good guy! This forum has gotten rude lately!!!

Um, not that I disagree with your general statement, but did you even read the vague shitpost comment they were responding to? I wouldn't be in my right mind, either, if someone posted "Trump is right. I'm in the military. Letting trans people serve would hurt the war effort".

I'm gonna go ahead and say yes..

Tovarisc

Just spoke to a Trump administration official about the transgender military decision. Here's what they said...
DFqimujXsAAkqgG.jpg

https://twitter.com/jonathanvswan/status/890202683721863168

L4S2eEZ.png

https://twitter.com/nancyayoussef/status/890244205355966467

8W1UxQG.png

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/890281794846818304

9PKbaTc.png

https://twitter.com/ZekeJMiller/status/890285109257043969

Didn't notice any of this stuff, hopefully not reposts.

There is not a decent discussion to be had here.

If bigots and bigot supporters think otherwise, they can fuck off. There's no reason to lower the quality of discourse so far down just to maintain the appearance of civility with subjects like these.

SomTervo

I served in the us military during three periods: DADT, the transition between allowing gays and transgender people to openly serve, and the New Normal of gays and transgender people openly serving.

Fuck every last Republican who is in support of this shit. Including posters on this board. These people have sacrificed just as much as anyone else in the military. Some did it while they were forced under specific and direct threat that if they ever revealed who they truly were they would be summarily deemed unfit to serve any further an discharged. People who wanted nothing more than to serve their country openly and freely. Those motherfuckers are far more brave and openly show more courage in their pinky then any fat pasty ass Republican who never served.

One of the best medics I knew when I was in was kicked out because she mistakenly, in a moment of needing comfort and emotional support told the wrong person that she was transgender in the era of DADT. That bigot told another bigot, and that bigot made sure it went up the chain until she was left with nothing and thrown out. She wound up fucking prostituting herself afterwards just to survive.

Who the fuck is someone like Trump, a draft dodger, able to tell someone that they can't give back to this country? Fuck you you miserable orange piece of shit. You don't care about our military, you don't care about our citizens, you probably barely even care about your family (but you will still throw them under the bus when it comes time to save your own skin, if you don't die of a cholesterol problem before it comes to that).

So again I say fuck anybody who is ok with this. Fuck any neogaf poster, fuck any red Piller, and fuck and Republican living who it's ok with this.

You will all answer for this you merchants of human misery.

Thank you for this post.

flagdaddy

Lmao I literally just had training in January or late last year for accepting trans people in the military. What a major douche this man

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Fucking protest. Shut shit down. Get these people out of office..

This county was founded on protest. Yet you'll get Americans crying about blocking traffic and looting more than actually making an effort. Try everything.

Absolutely this.

If you really care, you make time. You set aside some money, and you organize protests.

You put a million mother fuckers in front of the white house lawn with signs saying to help and support your people or leave, and the word gets across. You organize a mass mailing of hand written letters to congresspeople saying if they won't protect their people, we'll find someone who can, the word gets across.

But that's hard. It's scary. It costs time and money. It might cost your livelihood. People get real weird when they get in and around large crowds. Some people don't like it when others rock the boat. Do you risk sitting in the street with a hundred other people during rush hour traffic? Do you risk being seen in the news if you're gay or lesbian, and you serve in the armed forces? If you're a government employee? A contractor?

How much is it worth to you? How much are you willing to risk for your liberties? That's what we have to deal with here. We haven't gotten to that breaking point, yet.

Fercho

What kind of discussion you can have with stuff like this? Opposing political views and policies in a grey area, yeah, you can discuss, but for something so wrong and black, what kind "opposing views" are acceptable?

Nekofrog

Banned
This is never going to fly. Even among Non Evangelical Republicans there is backlash. The Navy with its new Aircraft carrier made entirely Gender Neutral bathrooms. No more Urinals or anything all toilets in stalls.

Ironically urinals were the least used of all the options when i was in because nobody wants to clean a urinal, a toilet is way easier.

watershed

Banned
Thanks for calling this guy out. I'll repost OverHeat's follow-up to make sure that he's being adequately heard and represented.

OverHeat's opinions on this military policy are not worthwhile. They are based in ignorance as demonstrated by how he responded to others who quoted his post.

Azuran

Banned
Some of them, sure. Definitely.

Here we go. I am going to open myself up to a firestorm of hate from the Rep haters here, but here we go.

I consider myself a left of center moderate, with libertarian leanings. I fucking despised Trump. But I didnt vote because I didnt like Hilary either, and I chose not to choose between the lesser of two evils. However, I live in Texas, so my vote was largely irrelevant. Texas was going for Trump.

Now for the shitty part....

99% of my family are republicans. Including my highly educated parents. They are not racist. They are not bigoted. My sister is a lesbian and they love her dearly. So before I say anything else, FUCK ANYONE that acuses my family of voting for Trump because of being racist or bigoted.

My family, INCLUDING MY LESBIAN SISTER, almost all voted for Trump. They did it because they were gullible, bought into his charade, his cavalcade of lies. My sister was going to vote Hilary until she heard the deplorables comment. That single statement swung her vote to a man she otherwise wouldnt have voted for.

I get so goddamn sick and tired of this us vs them shit and everyone inthese threads accusing ALL republicans of the despicable nature that is so obvious in Trump, and by turning a blind eye to his actions, the rest of the Reps in washington.

So yes, fuck republican politicians. Fuck any of the racist bigoted republicans who voted for Trump for those reasons. But I draw the line there.

And people are so caught up in supporting their goddamn team, that they refuse to accept this reality. They refuse to accept the fact that there are good, hard working, loving, non racist, non bigoted republicans out there like my family that voted for this incompentent, blubbering, bigoted orange toad simply because they were so short sighted and gullible that they believed the lies of his that they cherry picked and chose to focus on, blind to the rest of what was so obvious about him to me and most other neutrals/democrats.

Yes my statement of fuck both sides is probably taking this long-winded response too far in the other direction, and obfuscating the fact that the subject matter at hand is most definitely tied to the evils of the republican party. But I do hate both sides, insofar as I hate the fact that we have "sides" at all.

Yep, and human nature sucks. I did read your post. I think I agree with a lot of what you say. My feelings on the matter at hand are covered above. I will probably step back from this thread because I am sure my family is about to be shit on and I dont feel like getting banned defending them.

The biggest piece of garbage I have read on this site. Jesus Christ I seriously regret reading past the first paragraph.

People like you and your family are the reason why that orange motherfucker is in power right now. Own up to your decisions or shut up. You don't get the right to lecture people when it comes to moral issues

Fuck Republicans and fuck everyone who votes ft them. And that even includes my own piece of shit family members who voted for that piece of garbage.

We only have sides because piece of shit conversavtives refuse to join us in the present. Sating liberals are the same as those asshole is fucking ridiculous and shows that you have absolute no idea what the fuck you're talking about.

This is actually going to be a fairly enormous additional expense. The cost of replacing these soldiers--recruiting, training, equipping, and paying benefits for other soldiers capable of filling their roles--is very rarely going to be less than a million dollars a head. That's just the reality of military logistics; human life isn't cheap when you're talking about highly-trained and battle-proven individuals, it's actually really fucking expensive, which is why we consider it fiscally sound to lob a $20,000,000 missile into a building instead of risking a platoon of soldiers clearing it manually.

That's without getting into the costs in terms of immediate readiness and overall fighting strength. Even just on the face of it, this does not save money, it's actually gratuitously expensive.

Give me a break with the tone policing and leave it to the mods. The guy had np fucking idea what he was talking about as evidenced by his military having trans people for 25 years and him saying was bad for combat with not a single piece of evidence to back that up. I don't give a fuck about being rude these are people's lives being messed with. Get over yourself

Fucking protest. Shut shit down. Get these people out of office..

This county was founded on protest. Yet you'll get Americans crying about blocking traffic and looting more than actually making an effort. Try everything.

Yes, totally agree!

I can't believe there is not more protest in the US. There seems to be a bizarre apathy about this debacle. The world is watching your democracy and freedoms being demolished in real time, right before our eyes.

Protest, block the streets, paralyze the country. What is it going to take to remove this bastard and his cronies from office? It's just going to get worse!!

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Absolutely this.

If you really care, you make time. You set aside some money, and you organize protests.

You put a million mother fuckers in front of the white house lawn with signs saying to help and support your people or leave, and the word gets across. You organize a mass mailing of hand written letters to congresspeople saying if they won't protect their people, we'll find someone who can, the word gets across.

But that's hard. It's scary. It costs time and money. It might cost your livelihood. People get real weird when they get in and around large crowds. Some people don't like it when others rock the boat. Do you risk sitting in the street with a hundred other people during rush hour traffic? Do you risk being seen in the news if you're gay or lesbian, and you serve in the armed forces? If you're a government employee? A contractor?

How much is it worth to you? How much are you willing to risk for your liberties? That's what we have to deal with here. We haven't gotten to that breaking point, yet.

Great post! You are right, it is really tough to get out from your comfort zone and try to make a change, for the bigger good. And yes, you have a point that you are not near the breaking point.. Hmm..

Maximilian E.

AKA MS-Evangelist
Yes, totally agree!

I can't believe there is not more protest in the US. There seems to be a bizarre apathy about this debacle. The world is watching your democracy and freedoms being demolished in real time, right before our eyes.

Protest, block the streets, paralyze the country. What is it going to take to remove this bastard and his cronies from office? It's just going to get worse!!

Great post also, I agree as well. This has been my main point/issue..

Give me a break with the tone policing and leave it to the mods. The guy had np fucking idea what he was talking about as evidenced by his military having trans people for 25 years and him saying was bad for combat with not a single piece of evidence to back that up. I don't give a fuck about being rude these are people's lives being messed with. Get over yourself

He's being sarcastic.

Jeremy

OverHeat's opinions on this military policy are not worthwhile. They are based in ignorance as demonstrated by how he responded to others who quoted his post.

Give me a break with the tone policing and leave it to the mods. The guy had np fucking idea what he was talking about as evidenced by his military having trans people for 25 years

How could I have forgotten you guys need '/s' put behind every single word? Just wanted to show he was being ignorant by defending an absolute asshole along with the type of discourse he should expect 99% of the time. I will edit it for people who are confused.

That's some awful sarcasm

It's okay! You're the second person today who was too wrapped up in themselves itching for an argument to acknowledge anything else.

This is all very, very off topic though so I'll end it here! I still wish we could get something concrete about this ban but it seems like things are slowly beginning to come out.

He's being sarcastic.

How could I have forgotten you guys need '/s' put behind every single word? Just wanted to show he was being ignorant by defending an absolute asshole along with the type of discourse he should expect 99% of the time. I will edit it for people who are confused

Yeah how could people ever be confused in thread where the president just fucked over thousands of people and a significant amount of people even in this thread support him

It's okay! You're the second person today who was too wrapped up in themselves itching for an argument to acknowledge anything else

Well I'm glad the most important thing in this thread for you is making yourself out to be a victim

watershed

Banned
How could I have forgotten you guys need '/s' put behind every single word? Just wanted to show he was being ignorant by defending an absolute asshole along with the type of discourse he should expect 99% of the time. I will edit it for people who are confused.

It's okay! You're the second person today who was too wrapped up in themselves itching for an argument to acknowledge anything else.

Then your post is shitty and you should refrain from posting sarcastic nonsense in a thread that is about serious news and has people feeling very raw emotions. It's inconsiderate and cynical internet behavior.

Maximus.

People talk about doing something, what about those who sat home election day. Even before that, the primaries.

Reality check! Time to pay and work overtime for not caring when it mattered.

Pretty much. It's funny seeing people to "well what do you expect us to do!??!?". America likes to be overtly involved in the world and when it can't even take care of its own country, people are allowed to speak up about it. It's ridiculous that A) the Republican Party in its current form has such success B) obviously it's also ridiculous Trump was elected. At least people around the world care enough to see how bad this is and say something because clearly a lot of people within America don't give a shit or are too ignorant to realize.

rambis

Banned
This is actually going to be a fairly enormous additional expense. The cost of replacing these soldiers--recruiting, training, equipping, and paying benefits for other soldiers capable of filling their roles--is very rarely going to be less than a million dollars a head. That's just the reality of military logistics; human life isn't cheap when you're talking about highly-trained and battle-proven individuals, it's actually really fucking expensive, which is why we consider it fiscally sound to lob a $20,000,000 missile into a building instead of risking a platoon of soldiers clearing it manually.

That's without getting into the costs in terms of immediate readiness and overall fighting strength. Even just on the face of it, this does not save money, it's actually gratuitously expensive.

Honestly this isn't that big a deal logistically. Highest estimate I saw put Trans numbers around 15k in all the branches combined. Some individual service branches averaged more than 10k loss a year just on downsizing in recent years. There isn't a lot of money to be saved here either.

jstripes

Banned
And the lives of trans people just keep getting better and better.

/s

Fuck.

Them being used as political scapegoats just to win points with his base is sickening.

With stuff like this and the Scout Jamboree, Trump really has made Godwin's Law obsolete.

US GAF posters are not really representative of the USA. If they were, Hillary Clinton would have won with 90% of the popular vote.

Whether people here like to admit it or not, the majority of Americans do NOT support many of the progressive agenda items everyone here assumes is common sense and self evident. You can look at pew polls, IPSO, etc but I'd argue the majority of Americans

- do not support illegal immigration, or amnesty for those who are already here
- do not support trans rights beyond the right to exist and be invisible
- support cops, just wish they'd shoot people a lot less
- don't want anything to do with Muslims or Islam
- don't think/care much about climate change beyond supporting recycling
- don't care what the rest of the world thinks about America
- don't think racism/sexism is a big deal

They DO care about healthcare, jobs, how much an iPhone is, stock market, housing values, gas prices, and what Hollywood stars are up to (but not their political opinions).

Thats why the healthcare stuff went up in flames, way too many people started thinking "wait a second... this may hurt ME!" and went to their reps.

That isn't going to happen with a pretty narrow issue of whether trans people are able to serve in the military or not.

Pretty much. It's funny seeing people to "well what do you expect us to do!??!?". America likes to be overtly involved in the world and when it can't even take care of its own country, people are allowed to speak up about it. It's ridiculous that A) the Republican Party in its current form has such success B) obviously it's also ridiculous Trump was elected. At least people around the world care enough to see how bad this is and say something because clearly a lot of people within America don't give a shit or are too ignorant to realize.

I don't see this post offering any advice or suggestions besides "stop being stupid"

Jeremy

Yeah how could people ever be confused in thread where the president just fucked over thousands of people and a significant amount of people even in this thread support him

Well I'm glad the most important thing in this thread for you is making yourself out to be a victim

Not at all! The victims today are actually the topic of discussion (trans people being barred from the US military) if you'd like to go back to that. I will point out that not very many people have supported him in this thread and those who do have been pretty inappropriate about their views which resulted in a ban. That's why I chose that particular comment where he correlated allowing trans members to serve with an increase in sexual misconduct, along with having to figure out how you can fit in trans people onto a shower schedule with men and women.

Then your post is shitty and you should refrain from posting sarcastic nonsense in a thread that is about serious news and has people feeling very raw emotions. It's inconsiderate and cynical internet behavior.

Thanks, I'm sorry if I offended you in any way and for anyone else that has posted anything sarcastic in this thread, like the "Things just keep getting better and better for trans people." I understand how comments like that and mine can lose their intended touch when people are dealing with an emotional situation.

Things are not getting better for trans people, people defending it are not making good points (essentially what I was trying to convey), and it's not a time for sarcasm or any type of funnies in this thread. I want to get back to the actual discussion though. Thank you.

GAF posters are not really representative of the USA. If they were, Hillary Clinton would have won with 90% of the popular vote.

Whether people here like to admit it or not, the majority of Americans do NOT support many of the progressive agenda items everyone here assumes is common sense and self evident. You can look at pew polls, IPSO, etc but I'd argue the majority of Americans

- do not support illegal immigration, or amnesty for those who are already here
- do not support trans rights beyond the right to exist and be invisible
- support cops, just wish they'd shoot people a lot less
- don't want anything to do with Muslims or Islam
- don't think/care much about climate change beyond supporting recycling
- don't care what the rest of the world thinks about America

They DO care about healthcare, jobs, how much an iPhone is, gas prices, and what Hollywood stars are up to (but not their political opinions).

Thats why the healthcare stuff went up in flames, way too many people started thinking "wait a second... this may hurt ME!" and went to their reps.

That isn't going to happen with a pretty narrow issue of whether trans people are able to serve in the military or not.

I'm not talking about gaf posters, I'm talking about Americans. Where are the protests? The women's march was great, but then it just... stopped.
Aren't Americans known for their passion and love of their country?

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Honestly this isn't that big a deal logistically. Highest estimate I saw put Trans numbers around 15k in all the branches combined. Some individual service branches averaged more than 10k loss a year just on downsizing in recent years. There isn't a lot of money to be saved here either.

Yup. With over 1 million enlisted soldiers, 15k is a (significant, but still small) drop in the bucket. It would be a pain in the ass, but Trump could legit remove openly trans people from the military, and it wouldn't make a dent.

Lets see if the American people lets that happen.

My hot take?

We let children in school get gunned down, and nothing came of it. There's even folks who say that it didn't fucking happen.

Do you really think people will give a fuck if a few trans folk lose their jobs?

/hot take

RedAssedApe

Banned
so if you're currently enlisted. you just get discharged or what? do you still get benefits for your service?

don't see why any of these people would want to defend the country anyways when the country won't defend their rights.

Top Bottom