• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Trump will win the election and is more popular than Obama in 2008- AI system finds

Status
Not open for further replies.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
giphy.gif

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
If there's ever been a candidate to fool this kind of AI, it's Trump. While he's losing overall, his supporters are constantly spamming social media, and his haters are constantly talking about him.

I've been seeing articles recently about how well Trump's campaign is using Twitter botnets, and how many of Trump-supporting twitters are actually fake accounts created by bots.

If anything, this is election is where the negative and reality-warping power of the internet has fully blossomed. The Alt-Right is powered by internet co-ordination and delusional online bubbles of association. Twitter and social media are powerful tools to reiterate simple, easy to remember sound bites like "Crooked Hillary!" "Email! Email! Email!"

We can see how effective the internet propaganda machine has been in how many young people, the ones most likely to take the Internet seriously, are firmly conditioned to believe both sides are equally bad. Hillary is just like Trump, and the only thing that can save us is the anarchist technocrat/libertarian/it-came-from 4chan factions that the internet fedora army worships as its heroes.

The last time AI was introduced to modern social media, it became a genocidal, racist shitbag. Not surprising the next one would believe Trump will make America great again.

erpg

GAF parliamentarian
This is an AI prediction based on the myth that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

I was just thinking that Facebook could probably predict the result of the election if they wanted but only because they have access to so much private data on people.

This system seems to be monitoring only public activity, which means it's susceptible to being fooled by comrade bots and other trolls

Datamining from social media? Yeaaaahhh....no.

Just because he has a very loyal group of supporters who spam Twitter and FB while the whole rest of the world can't stop talking about how terrible he is, doesn't mean he's popular.

Khaz

Rai said that his system would be improved by more granular data. He said that If Google was to give him access to the unique internet addresses assigned to each digital device, then he could collect data on exactly what people were thinking. For example, Rai said if someone was searching for a YouTube video on how to vote, then looked for a video on how to vote for Trump, this could give the AI a good idea of the voter's intention. He added that there would be no privacy concerns as these internet addresses would be anonymized.

That's... horrific.

Please don't program an AI to analyze the contents of Twitter. That is how you get a super computer dedicated to the eradication of Mankind...

Until you can analyze the content of the posts and tweets, this is based on a flawed idea. Just look at GAF. This forum is overwhelmingly in support of Hillary, yet there are 5x as many threads about Trump. You can't look at that and decide Trump is winning, because most of those threads are scandals or people complaining about him.

Nokagi

Unconfirmed Member
Trump is without a doubt the most talked about candidate so I could see how it might come to that conclusion. Problem is a lot of the talk about Trump is negative.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
I've been seeing articles recently about how well Trump's campaign is using Twitter botnets, and how many of Trump-supporting twitters are actually fake accounts created by bots.

If anything, this is election is where the negative and reality-warping power of the internet has fully blossomed. The Alt-Right is powered by internet co-ordination and delusional online bubbles of association. Twitter and social media are powerful tools to reiterate simple, easy to remember sound bites like "Crooked Hillary!" "Email! Email! Email!"

We can see how effective the internet propaganda machine has been in how many young people, the ones most likely to take the Internet seriously, are firmly conditioned to believe both sides are equally bad. Hillary is just like Trump, and the only thing that can save us is the anarchist technocrat/libertarian/it-came-from 4chan factions that the internet fedora army worships as its heroes.

It might be bots, and I normally might agree with that analysis if not for the huge numbers that Trump is putting up at rallies. At the end of the day, one (or maybe even both?) sides are experiencing a bubble effect. We'll find out who was closer to reality soon enough.

kavanf1

It's worth noting that it was systems using this kind of data mining and analysis which correctly predicted Brexit - the traditional polls all predicted a Remain victory. So seriously, don't get complacent.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
I'm pretty sure psychos spamming social media should not be considered an accurate measure of reality.

Rai said that his system would be improved by more granular data. He said that If Google was to give him access to the unique internet addresses assigned to each digital device, then he could collect data on exactly what people were thinking. For example, Rai said if someone was searching for a YouTube video on how to vote, then looked for a video on how to vote for Trump, this could give the AI a good idea of the voter's intention. He added that there would be no privacy concerns as these internet addresses would be anonymized.
This guy can fuck right off. IP addresses are way too close to home to be considered anonymous.

It's worth noting that it was systems using this kind of data mining and analysis which correctly predicted Brexit - the traditional polls all predicted a Remain victory. So seriously, don't get complacent.

Was there an entire community with hundreds and thousands of bots promoting Brexit? Because that is what's currently happening for Trump. Bots to like and retweet posts on Twitter, upvote bullshit on reddit, and spam facebook. It's pure propaganda and if we found North Korea or Russia doing this shit we'd call it out as such.

Of course people still get out and vote but lets not pretend this is at all legitimate.

Psychos can vote too, ya know.

Yes the Psycho can vote once. Their thousands of bots on the other hand can't.

nomster

It might be bots, and I normally might agree with that analysis if not for the huge numbers that Trump is putting up at rallies. At the end of the day, one (or maybe even both?) sides are experiencing a bubble effect. We'll find out who was closer to reality soon enough.
He's gathering 7500-10,000 people at one off events. That's not representative of anything. shitty bands do that daily, doesn't mean 50% of the population will buy their CDs.

iavi

This is like that one twitter AI that MS put out that instantly turned alt-right neo nazi after spidering through similar data feeds.

Honestly, they say more about the state of the internet than they do the election

blackflag

This is the shit that scares me. Yes I know much of his twitter mentions and stuff are bots themselves but still. I might need to go on blackout for the next week and a half. I'm starting to get really fucking paranoid about next Tuesday even though it looks like a comfortable Clinton win.

I guess I'm a pants wetter

rjinaz

So you still think he will win this? Ignoring the polling that has Hillary consistently with a 5+ point lead with just 10 days or so to go, what's his path?

This is an AI prediction based on the myth that there's no such thing as bad publicity.

This basically. Trump is perhaps one of the most popular (famous) candidates to ever run. But, a lot of that is infamy. People love to talk about Trump, but not so much Hillary. Her supporters are generally tepid. So it seems like Trump is the candidate the people want, but that is severely misleading. I think this election is an exception that doesn't work with systems like this.

Pulka

Makes sense, nobody likes Hillary, and (some) people love Trump. Hillary supporters don't show that they support her because they know she isn't all that great, but they vote for her because they don't want Trump, for the most part. I'm sure there are SOME real passionate Hillary supporters. But Trump supporters love Trump and they show it.

Akuun

Looking for meaning in GAF
This is like that one twitter AI that MS put out that instantly turned alt-right neo nazi after spidering through similar data feeds.

Honestly, they say more about the state of the internet than they do the election
That poor AI. It experienced 20 years of hanging out with the wrong crowd in like 5 hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom