• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

SparkTR

My impressions: A.I is dull, controls were tedious and graphics are so-so, despite what some people have said there are fps slowdowns and they're more than occasional. Initially didn't like it much.

That all changed when I went online, it comes into it's own there, the hectic gameplay goes up to 11, tactics become useful and it's much more balanced. I went from bitching about controls to competing with top of the leaderboard in one online match, absolutely brilliant. It's a pity the servers are so screwed at the moment, every 10 connection attempts I get an error for around 8 of them. Hopefully everything is sorted out by tomorrow. All-in-all, car combat is back and better than ever.

DBT85

This goes onto the EU store today for anyone who hasn't played already. Was a blog post about it this morning.

nero2082

haven't played such game for a looong time, Rogue Trip/Vigilante 8 anyone?

which car would you recommend to learn the basics? (aka not dying every 10seconds)

web01

haven't played such game for a looong time, Rogue Trip/Vigilante 8 anyone?

which car would you recommend to learn the basics? (aka not dying every 10seconds)

Vigilante 8 on N64 is still my favourite car combat game of all time. It will never be topped for me. That game was so amazing for its time, loved the terrain deformation and the secret button combination attacks added a ton of depth and multiple uses for each weapon

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
multiplayer still not working. come on man you don't release an MP demo like this :|
Jaffe tweeted this.
Aware of the matchmaking issues some of ya'll are getting- just chatted with Sony: they are on it! Will keep u informed!

Not just me then! Man, the menu screen is class....and incredibly spooky at the same time! That face puts the sh!ts up me!
Yeah, it reminded me of the GoW 3 menu screen.

jett

D-Member
As a TM newcomer, this game feels completely and 100% inaccessible. What a fucking stupid single player challenge to include in the demo. And MP doesn't work.

Is there any trick to finding health pick ups other than memorizing them? I find the blue triangles very easy to miss in the heat of the moment.

That said, this is such a refreshing multiplayer game, finally!

web01

Is there any trick to finding health pick ups other than memorizing them? I find the blue triangles very easy to miss in the heat of the moment.

That said, this is such a refreshing multiplayer game, finally!

Do not think so. You can also get health from running over the bodies of dead drivers, I am not sure if they always appear after killing a player or not.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
:lol Oh Gamestop...

It's a Drive-By Wooing!
Explosions, flaming clown heads, and a man locked into two giant tires don't exactly scream Valentine's Day. They just scream.

So thank your lucky stars that when you pre-order Twisted Metal, you'll receive $10 off an order from
1-800-Flowers.com!* It's a simple solution to that age-old question: game or girlfriend?
Let 1-800-Flowers.com take care of the one you love while you take care of your enemies. Pre-order Twisted Metal now to get early access to the exclusive Axel vehicle and get ready for a twisted Valentine’s Day.

Yamibito

As a TM newcomer, this game feels completely and 100% inaccessible. What a fucking stupid single player challenge to include in the demo. And MP doesn't work.

I used to love Twisted Metal Black back in the day but I totally forgot how to play quite a while ago, took me a while to get used to the (amazing) controls and now I'm winning that challenge no problem- which vehicle are you picking?

SykoTech

Gotta say, I'm not the biggest fan of what they did to Outlaw's special. I loved zapping people in the old games. Also, still bummed that Twister didn't make it in.

Everything else is pretty awesome though.

Dibbz

You must suck fucking donkey balls at games. Every time I see you post it's because you suck at a game. Learn to play you idiot.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Crimson Fury is really good for newcomers. Very easy to control + that flamethrower rocks! It dies very fast though :(

jett

D-Member
I used to love Twisted Metal Black back in the day but I totally forgot how to play quite a while ago, took me a while to get used to the (amazing) controls and now I'm winning that challenge no problem- which vehicle are you picking?

The Crimson something, the fast vehicle. The controls feel really nice but when it comes to combat it just feels like randomness to me, , can't get shit done. At most I kill one AI per match. Yeah I go for the health packs but I keep getting ganged up on.

You must suck fucking donkey balls at games. Every time I see you post it's because you suck at a game. Learn to play you idiot.

LOL, yeah that's right. It's not because this game has complicated mechanics, controls and just plops you right down into a tough as nails challenge without easing you into it at all.

web01

Play the tutorial it helped me, for playing online start with a character with more armor and focus on taking out one player with lower health. Also helps to do straffing runs of groups of enemies then find some weapons and come back for another attack. Its not worth going for health packs unless you are close because of the large size of the maps. (which is a good thing imo puts the focus on attacking) Also do not forget about your recharging powers shield etc on dpad. The challenge it easier if you understand the gameplay mechanics but online is better to learn how to play.

shuri

Banned
I'll be honest, the game simply feels like a rehash of gameplay elements from the '90. Blood Drive , while a retail flop and a budget release, had far more interesting options; you had the random zombie slaughtering challenges while killing the other contestants; you could get select your own loadout (maybe this will be in final version? I didnt bother with the demo for too long, to be honest), and the macabre atmosphere was rendered better.

This version of Twisted Metal feels very 'by the numbers', sadly. I really wanted to like this game; I was hyped for it :(

red731

I can't wait to play this, as it will be my first time in the TM universe, when I download the demo after work.
Also thanks for the tips y'all.

Shadybiz

I'll be honest, the game simply feels like a rehash of gameplay elements from the '90.

I can see where you're coming from with that. To me, though, the really big draw is that I can now play against other humans; something that I couldn't do back in the day (other than on split screen), which is the main reason I'm so excited for it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Classic TM scheme wouldn't be bad... if it wasn't for... you know... the terrible right-stick aiming mechanic that Jaffe had to add... why? It really has no purpose and adds nothing to the gameplay other than some strategic element that goes out the window since you have auto-aim for some of the (IMO) better weapons anyway.

Maybe it works on the other schemes, but it completely ruins the classic TM control feel for me.

KageMaru

Man I had fun with the demo last night. Even though I only played the SP portion, getting my ass blown up left and right, I still loved it. Loved how smooth the game felt no matter how much was going on.

Can't wait to play the MP, hopefully it's up and running tonight.

SykoTech

Yeah, I've been clicking the stick to use turbo. It uses it all up, but I'd still rather do that then shake the controller.

Yamibito

The Crimson something, the fast vehicle. The controls feel really nice but when it comes to combat it just feels like randomness to me, , can't get shit done. At most I kill one AI per match. Yeah I go for the health packs but I keep getting ganged up on.

LOL, yeah that's right. It's not because this game has complicated mechanics, controls and just plops you right down into a tough as nails challenge without easing you into it at all.

Give Death Warrant a shot, a lot easier to get to grips with.

Odrion

Banned
Anyone else feels that the soundtrack is incredibly nostalgic? It all seems to harken back to the kind of music you'd hear on a PSX soundtrack.

The menus too, the font and the grit around the edges (and how it's not smoothed out.) And the way it pulsates and flashes is very reminiscent of all the oldschool PSX EXXTRRREEEME games.

Nice touches.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I only played the Single Player challenge last night, since I didn't have time to play multi.

I haven't played a Twisted Metal since TM2 on the PS1, so I wasn't sure if I'd even like the series anymore, but I was pleasantly surprised at how smooth and responsive the controls were (I did the training to refamiliarize myself with TM).

Then I finally got into combat and promptly got destroyed by the AI. lol. I have to say, it's fricking Twisted Metal! At least what I fondly remember of the series. I had a blast, even though I was getting torn apart. I was slowly getting the hang of it towards the end of my play session, but I can tell there's a bit of a learning curve to the maps and approaches to some of the enemies.

I wasn't sure I was going to buy TM, but that demo sold me on it. I wasn't getting many console games this year (it's a Vita year for me), but this definitely got added to my list, although I may not be able to get it day one. I want to support Jaffe and his team on this, however. I'll get it as soon as I can, though.

Himself

This is amazing. It feels completely different from everything that's been coming out. It's nice to play something with a learning curve for once. I completely suck! It's just going to be that much sweeter once I get a hang of things. But the thing is it's still fun as hell.

I was on the fence and now I am so in.

The fact that people are having "difficulty" getting into this is just testament to the fact that every other major multiplayer game this gen basically play extremely similar to one another and require little to no learning curve. Give this one an hour or so. You'll improve dramatically.

Top Bottom