• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal Demo Impressions

Riposte

Surprisingly I've been crushing the competition (other than trouble with learning where health is, AIs are not bad either). However, matchmaking errors makes this pretty much unplayable. Now I can't get a match, period.

EDIT: I am practically a TM newcomer (played a lot of 2 as a kid) and found this game very easy to grasp (though I would died against the AI a few times despite having the highest score). Considering how well I've been doing in multiplayer, maybe I'm just a natural at it or there is some skill translation from mecha games?

ElRenoRaven

There's a turbo dash you can do with turbo activated. Double tap to start turbo then a flick of the controller to dash with it. Unless I completely misunderstood the tutorial.

No you're right. That's the one thing control wise I'd change. Also anyone saying it's not a smooth as hell framerate wise is a fucking liar.

Surprisingly I've been crushing the competition (other than trouble learning where health is, AIs are not bad either). However, matchmaking errors makes this pretty much unplayable. Now I can't get a match, period.

Hopefully today that will be fixed. It's on Sony's end and they've half fixed the problem.

Dibbz

LOL, yeah that's right. It's not because this game has complicated mechanics, controls and just plops you right down into a tough as nails challenge without easing you into it at all.

So because it's complicated that makes it inaccessible for anyone not familiar with it? Please go. I've never played TM before and am having no trouble after the initial learning period. You can't expect to just jump in and start destroying everyone.

AwRy108

This is amazing. It feels completely different from everything that's been coming out. It's nice to play something with a learning curve for once. I completely suck! It's just going to be that much sweeter once I get a hang of things. But the thing is it's still fun as hell.

The fact that people are having "difficulty" getting into this is just testament to the fact that every other major multiplayer game this gen basically play extremely similar to one another and require little to no learning curve. Give this one an hour or so. You'll improve dramatically.

I agree with all of this. Eat Sleep Play really did right by this franchise, esp. in terms of not making any concessions to the feel and challenge of the experience. I was enjoying the game even when I was getting my ass kicked by the CPU; but once I changed vehicles (Meat Wagon FTW!) and learned the map (read: where the health pick-ups were), everything fell right into place.

Also, I'm thrilled with the graphics: the framerate is silky smooth and consistent, the pop-in is minimal, the particle and smoke effects look great w/o being obtrusive, and and destruction looks terrific. I was honestly worried about the graphics b/c of the PS3's small amount of RAM, but my concerns have been quelled.

If I have one major concern, it is this: there's almost too many weapons, which makes it rather daunting to sort through them whilst trying to survive amongst the chaos. I could do with a few less missile types. Then again, this all goes back to the fact that the game makes no effort to bring in casual players--it's almost shouting: this ain't no wading pool, so either jump in head first or get out.

Well done Jaffe and team--this is the first time I've looked forward to Valentine's Day ever.

jett

D-Member
So because it's complicated that makes it inaccessible for anyone not familiar with it? Please go. I've never played TM before and am having no trouble after the initial learning period. You can't expect to just jump in and start destroying everyone.

UTtha.gif

This is a newb-unfriendly demo, plain and simple. Wish I could play online, will wait until after the servers are fixed to give it another go

Anyway, after this and your post in the art direction thread you don't really deserve to be treated seriously. You seem to be a crazy fuck.

Mikey Jr.

Anyone else feels that the soundtrack is incredibly nostalgic? It all seems to harken back to the kind of music you'd hear on a PSX soundtrack.

The menus too, the font and the grit around the edges (and how it's not smoothed out.) And the way it pulsates and flashes is very reminiscent of all the oldschool PSX EXXTRRREEEME games.

Nice touches.

Exactly what I was thinking about the music and I said the same about the font and UI.

Thats not a bad thing though in my opinion.

Mrbob

Waggle flick is dumb, hope this gets patched. Otherwise game is great! Ordered from Amazon this morning.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
I'm trying to think of another button for boost dash instead of waggle, but every single button is already taken up isn't it?

ElRenoRaven

That helicopter pisses me off.

How so? From a gameplay perspective or from a I'm getting my ass kicked by it one?

If the later I can't say I've had much problem with them. I usually freeze them and then they plummet to ground and I ram the shit out of them killing them. Users of it have only managed to pick me up twice. Each time I got out, survived and made them pay dearly for that.

I'm trying to think of another button for boost dash instead of waggle, but every single button is already taken up isn't it?

Yea. There really isn't one that can be used sadly. Hell jump is mapped to two buttons. I figure when it's all said and done I just won't use it much. I usually miss with it anyway. lol

Himself

I'm not really finding the flick turbo to be too intrusive or unreliable. It seems they just ran out of buttons!

Been struggling to get into a MP match, but the more time i spend on that single player map the more I appreciate it. So much shit to destroy, so many little hidden areas and stuff to go careening off of. Saw the jaffe pope and laughed. There's gonna be a ton of "I never noticed that before" moments in this game.

theBishop

Banned
My first impression is relatively positive. I found the 'racer' controls the most intuitive by far. This game definitely suffers from too-many-buttons syndrome. I fear n00bs online will get creamed if matchmaking isn't smart.

Mikey Jr.

I can pretty much beat the SP mode 9/10 times.

It really is just about getting better.

I find that health packs are vital. But also to pick off the weaker opponents first. I kill the motorcycle off as quickly as I can.

sloppyjoe_gamer

Gold Member

Did i somehow misread the thread title? I thought it said 'Twisted Metal Demo Impressions', not 'Twisted Metal Demo Impressions, Only Jaffe cockriders allowed'.

I had the same issues. I didn't play the old TM games that much since i didnt care for them, but all the positive press and GAF's good vibes made me want to give the demo a try. I did. Multiplayer wasn't working, and single player drops you into a full on firefight with AI that only focuses on you with little to no room to move. For TM veterans im sure this wasnt a big deal, but for TM rookies, its a very poor way to introduce people to your game. That's the truth.

Im also going to give it another shot on multiplayer.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
My first impression is relatively positive. I found the 'racer' controls the most intuitive by far. This game definitely suffers from too-many-buttons syndrome. I fear n00bs online will get creamed if matchmaking isn't smart.

Same, I was useless until I switched, then I jumped to the middle of the pack instantly.

I found the MP a bit to fast and hectic, it was just chaos. I hope the SP has a bit more finess and strategy.

Choppers seem way too good in Nuke mode. They should take way less of a pounding than they take. It's an easy win if you have a couple of decent chopper guys on your team.

ElRenoRaven

Ok. First complaint. I managed to get knocked up right on the ass end of my vehicle and am now stuck there. he's stuck. It's outlaw. That needs to be fixed

SparkTR

The gamepad is already so full they couldn't map a button that inverts the camera, I doubt boost will be on anything other than motion control.

Mattdaddy

Gold Member
How so? From a gameplay perspective or from a I'm getting my ass kicked by it one?

If the later I can't say I've had much problem with them. I usually freeze them and then they plummet to ground and I ram the shit out of them killing them. Users of it have only managed to pick me up twice. Each time I got out, survived and made them pay dearly for that.

Yea they are kicking my ass pretty good. I'm having difficulty keeping them targeted if I don't have any freeze missiles. I've been spam dropped a couple times, inducing my nerd rage. I actually had a lot of fun with the demo, the choppers just felt a little bit cheap to me and kinda outta place. I do acknowledge that I died to the choppers several times and may just be bitching. But they did feel cheap.

Also, Nuke was a shit ton of fun, but I have no idea what is going on hahaha.

Aesthet1c

Did i somehow misread the thread title? I thought it said 'Twisted Metal Demo Impressions', not 'Twisted Metal Demo Impressions, Only Jaffe cockriders allowed'.

I had the same issues. I didn't play the old TM games that much since i didnt care for them, but all the positive press and GAF's good vibes made me want to give the demo a try. I did. Multiplayer wasn't working, and single player drops you into a full on firefight with AI that only focuses on you with little to no room to move. For TM veterans im sure this wasnt a big deal, but for TM rookies, its a very poor way to introduce people to your game. That's the truth.

Im also going to give it another shot on multiplayer.

There was a tutorial mode. Did you try that at all?

Grinchy

Banned
The gamepad is already so full they couldn't map a button that inverts the camera, I doubt boost will be on anything other than motion control.

I haven't tried the demo yet. Why do they need a button to invert the camera? Shouldn't that just be in the settings menu?

SparkTR

I haven't tried the demo yet. Why do they need a button to invert the camera? Shouldn't that just be in the settings menu?

I mean a button that shows what's going on behind you rather than in front, reverses the camera. I have no idea what that button is called.

Himself

Sheesh. After one go of the tutorial and about 3 or 4 single player matches i was already getting my sea legs. People...patience!

Maybe games really have become so familiar/homogenized that anything resembling a learning curve is unacceptable.

I really hope "accessibility" doesn't become the main narrative about this game because the game is still tons of fun regardless of sucking/not being familiar with the controls, etc.

Just have some fun! Fuck around! Get whooped for a few matches! Why the eff not?

mattp

Sheesh. After one go of the tutorial and about 3 or 4 single player matches i was already getting my sea legs. People...patience!

Maybe games really have become so familiar/homogenized that anything resembling a learning curve is unacceptable.

I really hope "accessibility" doesn't become the main narrative about this game because the game is still tons of fun regardless of sucking/not being familiar with the controls, etc.

Just have some fun! Fuck around! Get whooped for a few matches! Why the eff not?

this drives me crazy about games/gamers nowadays
i really don't get it
are people that against different experiences?
i love playing games that feel legitimately different from one another
why does everyone want everything to be the same? thats boring, man

Gustav

Banned
this drives me crazy about games/gamers nowadays
i really don't get it
are people that against different experiences?
i love playing games that feel legitimately different from one another
why does everyone want everything to be the same? thats boring, man

I heard this a lot on games of the year deliberations on different podcasts (GiantBomb, IGN, etc.). "If the game is not fun in the first 30 minutes, it's bad".

This thread is tl;dr.

Is it good, guys?

This game is insane o_0

Won my first game. Loving it so far.

I'm loving it so far!!! And the graphics and movement don't give me headaches like most games do these days ( I can't play first person shooters for this reason).

And i like that the Heli can move through narrow hallways on the ground and follow LOL. Good job jaffe. This is old school stuff.

Holy shit the crimson fury reaches sanic speeds. This game is glorious. Jaffe delivered

This is terrific. And I think there is no other game like this on the current consoles either. Its been only one month, but this is so far the most fun game or demo I played this year.

I wonder if this has potential to reach a broad audience, the game seems to have it all locked down.

The AI is vicious, but if Jaffe said the full game will be easier... I'll take it for granted.

Played a online match, awesomely fun.
How does picking a faction affect the match?

Yes!!!! i got those stupid A.I.

Crimson Fury all day.

IMAG0172-1.jpg

Love the game. definitely day 1.

Himself

I heard this a lot on games of the year deliberations on different podcasts (GiantBomb, IGN, etc.). "If the game is not fun in the first 30 minutes, it's bad".

The thing is that it's fun almost immediately. You're dumped into over the top super smooth arcadey destruction.

You definitely won't be very good at it in the first 30 minutes, but you should most likely be having fun. Unless you take losing way too seriously.

mattp

The thing is that it's fun almost immediately. Your dumped into over the top super smooth arcadey destruction.

You definitely won't be good at it in the first 30 minutes, but you should most likely be having fun. Unless you take losing way too seriously.

street fighter isn't all that fun in the 30 minutes either
guess those games are terrible right?
god i hate that line of thinking

Foil

I finally connected to an online death match, and holy shit. It's a different ballgame with human players instead of the punishing/cheap demo AI. The game is insane, fast paced, and relentless against others. At first I was finishing in the bottom half of the rankings, but I didn't even care, the game was furious and flat out fun. As you learn the weapons and how to use them to their max potential the gameplay gets even more enjoyable.

ElRenoRaven

I finally connected to an online death match, and holy shit. It's a different ballgame with human players instead of the punishing/cheap demo AI. The game is insane, fast paced, and relentless against others. At first I was finishing in the bottom half of the rankings, but I didn't even care, the game was furious and flat out fun. As you learn the weapons and how to use them to their max potential the gameplay gets even more enjoyable.

Yup. I just got done with a good stretch in the same room. I do love that too mind you. You get matchmade and are put in a room. Then you can play as many times as you want with that group of people and others can join. It's simply awesome. Anyway the games were great minus the one I got knocked onto the ass end of outlaw. No way at all to get off it. But again anyway the games were a great back and forth. I'd win one then another guy would. The others even after a couple started putting up great fights. I without a doubt see myself getting very very addicted to the game. It's just pure fun. There is no better way to describe it. Pure hectic fun mayhem. The better everyone gets the more fun it is too because you have to work a lot harder for them wins.

Himself

street fighter isn't all that fun in the 30 minutes either
guess those games are terrible right?
god i hate that line of thinking

I've been playing street fighter since the OG SF2 hit arcades and I still suck at those games. Damn fun to play though.

SolidC213

I love the waggle turbo. Ramming a Reaper with Darkside boost turbo + special would kill him in one hit. Best to use it being a big vehicle ramming a smaller one. It makes a big difference when both your weapons are used up and turbo is all you have left.

Top Bottom