• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK GAF: Wii U Mario Kart 8 bundle w/ extra game - £200 at Tesco Direct

NTom64

Pre-ordered. That's a 30 quid difference from Amazon.co.uk

The free game thing is just the icing on the cake.

Chindogg

This is an awesome price, there surely can't be anyone pulling the usual "needs to be 50 quid less" mem--

Okay, that is surely a decent price.

I still wouldn't bite until £150 though.

Perhaps, but it'll be below £150 by christmas.
Also, the last thing i need is another wheel and remoteplus i don't need. Its an odd bundle, i'd have taken cheaper, and no additional hardware.

edit: WTF, its not the same as the US pack, no additional controller or wheel? Considering that the WiiU regularly goes on firesale for £150 this isn't such a great deal.

Dammit. Never fails to disappoint.

Am I being thick? I can't see anywhere in the listing that mentions the additional free game? I take it this pack only comes with the gamepad, and no standard controller?

Nintendo is throwing a promotion that with any purchase of Mario Kart 8, retail or digital, you'll get a code for a digital version of another game free. Just register the game via Club Nintendo.

Am I being thick? I can't see anywhere in the listing that mentions the additional free game? I take it this pack only comes with the gamepad, and no standard controller?

Ricky 7

Perhaps, but it'll be below £150 by christmas.
Also, the last thing i need is another wheel and remoteplus i don't need. Its an odd bundle, i'd have taken cheaper, and no additional hardware.

edit: WTF, its not the same as the US pack, no additional controller or wheel? Considering that the WiiU regularly goes on firesale for £150 this isn't such a great deal.

That's the basic version that goes for that price.

Lexxism

The free game is from Nintendo themselves. You need to register MK8 in UK's club nintendo for you to choose from the 8 free games.

The free game is from Nintendo themselves. You need to register MK8 in UK's club nintendo for you to choose from the 8 free games.

Ah, that would make sense. Gotta admit that this price has me interested. Already have a 3DS, so it would just be like a family reunion right?

amardilo

Order placed, thanks for sharing this!

Do Tesco take the money straight away on pre-orders or when the item is shipped?

I have been waiting on a deal like this and I have a 7 year old who has been waiting even harder.

What would we need to play any potential Wii game purchases (never owned a Wii in the past)

I will be picking up the Pro Controller as I want something traditional pad wise for myself for certain games/times, does this pad not work with Wii games ?

We may be looking into getting Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 as last Mario I played was Mario 64 and I loved it then.

Mr. Virus

I have been waiting on a deal like this and I have a 7 year old who has been waiting even harder.

What would we need to play any potential Wii game purchases (never owned a Wii in the past)

I will be picking up the Pro Controller as I want something traditional pad wise for myself for certain games/times, does this pad not work with Wii games ?

We may be looking into getting Mario Galaxy 1 & 2 as last Mario I played was Mario 64 and I loved it then.

You'll need a Wiimote and Nunchuk at least. Might be around an extra £30 on top. And as far as I've seen the WiiU Pro controller won't work with Wii games.

robo

Order placed, thanks for sharing this!

Do Tesco take the money straight away on pre-orders or when the item is shipped?

they took my destiny game pre-order money straight away. so I would expect them to do the same with this.

Neff

The Wii U Pro controller doesn't yet work with Wii games and possibly never will. However a Wiimote Plus + Nunchuck will allow you to play just about any Wii game. The Wii U Premium (which this is) already comes with the necessary Sensor bar. If you need a traditional pad, I suggest the Wii Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro.

unfortunatley my Son wants the green Luigi Version direct from Ninty! £299.99, SOBS
You can buy all the additional bits separately for less than £99. Going by Nintendo store prices
Decals £18
Wheel £12
Remote £40 (£30 on Amazon)
Hat £10
£80. If you get the Luigi remote for £30 from Amazon it is £70 total.

Note: You may be able to find better prices outside of that site.

Fakedit: I forgot the Prima guide...sorry. But there is money still to be saved.

Hasney

The Wii U Pro controller doesn't yet work with Wii games and possibly never will. However a Wiimote Plus + Nunchuck will allow you to play just about any Wii game. The Wii U Premium (which this is) already comes with the necessary Sensor bar. If you need a traditional pad, I suggest the Wii Classic Controller or Classic Controller Pro.

It's getting there though. We can already run Gamecube games on Wii U using the Wii U Pro Controller. Of course, this is all reliant on you softmodding your Wii classic mode on the Wii U.

you can only play mario galaxy one and two with a wiimote and nunchuk.

you can buy a classic controller pro for Wii ( which works with some but not all Wii U games) for less than £10 from ebay etc if you want to play old style or virtual console games through the Wii Mode.
it attaches to the Wiimote.

they're out of production but the RRP was £24.99 and can be purchased directly from nintendo's online store for that price.

The classic controller for Wii U is only usable on Wii U games, It's nice but any game that uses it can also be played using the gamepad which has traditional controls. it is wireless.

DagsJT

Already got a PC, PS4, 3DS and a Vita. My missus would hit the roof if I bought this ...

I'd have pulled the trigger if Tesco took payment on dispatch.

But that shiny shiny new toy ....

My God if Mario 3D World was in this deal I'd be doing back flips. So it's either Pikmin 3 or Monster Hunter.

Monster hunter scares me

mrklaw

MrArseFace
is mario kart a digital download code too? If so, do we know how big it is? Depending on the other game you choose, the 32GB internal storage might not be enough and you'll need a USB drive to plug in too.

This is such a great price, and I'm tempted, but deep down I think I just don't want a Wii U. Even if it was £150, I probably couldn't justify buying it.

openrob

is mario kart a digital download code too? If so, do we know how big it is? Depending on the other game you choose, the 32GB internal storage might not be enough and you'll need a USB drive to plug in too.

It is retail physical game, however the digital copy is 4.9 GB

SmokyDave

You're the last person I ever expected to get a Wii U in the first place.
All those mobile games, yet you know there's nothing like the magic Nintendo produces :)
I think you mean Ubisoft, chap ;)

I bought Wii U #1 and LOVED Zombi U. Thought it wasn't worth keeping the machine for just that title, turns out I was wrong. I want to buy another Wii U to play... Zombi U.

Similarly, Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars is the reason I can't live without a 3DS.

Hasney

Wait, really? From Cube disc?

From .iso's, but it does have anti-piracy protection in. You have to boot the legitimate version of the GC disc from a Wii and store the code in the wiimote, then the Devolution homebrew app will allow you to boot the ISO from a USB device or SD Card.

Could probably boot Cube discs if the drive accepted the disc format. The method also works with non-BC Wii models, just without the Wii U Pro Controller support.

Was going to get this next month but this is a steal. Might have to dip into my savings!

Question for Wii U users... Which game should I get?!

I love adventure games so I'm leaning towards Zelda, especially as I haven't played a single Zelda game in my life. But I've heard great things about Wonderful 101. What do you guys recommend?

Definitely get Wind Waker- it's a great introduction to the Zelda series as well.

Lernaean

Banned
Question for Wii U users... Which game should I get?!

I love adventure games so I'm leaning towards Zelda, especially as I haven't played a single Zelda game in my life. But I've heard great things about Wonderful 101. What do you guys recommend?

I'd recommend W101, but as you said you haven't played any Zelda and WW is a great Zelda, so go for it.
Then buy W101 with the first cash that falls on your hands next, you gonna love it :p

decaf

...plus a download code for any of the promotional games:

- New Super Mario Bros. U
- Game & Wario
- NintendoLand
- Sonic Lost World
- Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate
- Wii Party U
- Mario & Sonic at the Winter Olympics

If anyone wants to get it even cheaper, I'll happily buy any of these download codes off ya.

amardilo

they took my destiny game pre-order money straight away. so I would expect them to do the same with this.

Thanks. Sounds like I will have to go a month missing £200 and nothing to show for it, good thing I don't have to wait too long.

fred

It's a great price, I know it's a great price, but I still can't do it :(
Maybe it's cause I'm a student and a bit skint.
Maybe it's just that game pad.
Maybe it's because I bet it'll get even cheaper in the future.

I don't know :( perhaps this time, the Wii U definitely just isn't my kind of thing.

The weird thing is that EVERYONE has doubts about the GamePad at first, but once you actually start to use it and play games that use it you start to wonder how you managed to be without a touchscreen for so long.

Even something as simple as having a map displayed on it at all times to stop you having to press pause to check it out is worth it's weight in gold.

Steph_E.

If it's a big deal, you can always get a wireless sensor bar. Any wii one should work with wii u,as far as I'm aware. It'll impact almost any wii game, but not as many Wii U games.

It will still have a big impact. If you play multiplayer Wii U games (and even solo games) with a Wii remote you must have the sensor bar.

Steph_E.

Another Mario Kart thread said it is just under 5 gigs.

Edit : beaten to it!

DrFurbs

Hmm I'm on the fence. My 6 year old loves Mario and Luigi on the 3ds and donkey Kong county. I actually enjoy watching videos casted to my TV off these games.

I see there is no fancy controller with it?

Grrr what to do???

Ordered, had some Tesco vouchers so it ended up under £170.

Undecided what free bonus game to choose, narrowed it down to Pikmin, Mario Bros U, or Wind Waker - ultimately I'll end up with all of them, so probably going to choose the one with the smallest download.

Robin64

Just realised the code expires soon.

Buybox-Save20_278x79.jpg

So if you're uhming and ahhing, make up your mind soon. ;)

m0t0k1

Ordered, had some Tesco vouchers so it ended up under £170.

Undecided what free bonus game to choose, narrowed it down to Pikmin, Mario Bros U, or Wind Waker - ultimately I'll end up with all of them, so probably going to choose the one with the smallest download.

bros u has the smallest download:
New Super Mario Bros. U - 2301.7 MB
Wind Waker HD - 2440.0 MB
Pikmin 3 - 4541.1 MB
Wii Party U - 5156.9 MB

Nintendo Land - 3416.6 MB
MH3U - 7020.1 MB
Game and Wario - 3914.4 MB
Wonderful 101 - 12.8 GB
Sonic Lost World - 8474.6 MB
Mario and Sonic 2014 - 9741.4 MB

Top Bottom