• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK set to trigger Brexit on March 29

When should the UK celebrate Independence Day?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DiGiKerot

I have two games ordered from base UK. I wonder what happens to the taxes, customs and all that. Should I just cancel the orders?

Article 50 is just the start of the extrication process. If the games are released in the next two years, you are probably fine as they'll just go through as normal.

Xando

And have you any evidence that the UK is prepared to hold these people hostage?

Well the UK could have guaranteed rights of EU citizens in the UK to create some goodwill.
Instead it wants to negotiate about them. Shows you that they see them as potential bargaining chips because the decision is pretty simple. Either they can stay or they leave. Not sure what is there to negotiate.

I hope the EU comes out in a few days after Art. 50 and guarantees all UK citizens to stay in the EU. No matter what the UK goverment wants.

JimiNutz

Banned
Too many people responded to my post to reply to all but I'm not asking for any kind of special deal, I'm just asking that the UK be treated fairly and given a similar (but obviously not identical deal) to nations such as Norway and Switzerland.

Obviously we will need to negotiate our own deal and I don't think the EU owes us anything (other than fairness). I just hope that cool heads prevail during negotiations and that we come to a mutually beneficial deal. At the moment it seems that the EU is desperate to punish the UK and make things as difficult as possible.

And have you any evidence that the UK is prepared to hold these people hostage?

They've sent multiple EU citizens who have lived in the UK for years, and who had residency rights, letters telling them they're not welcome in the UK any more and to make preparations to leave.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...tish-children-told-to-leave-uk-after-24-years
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...eave-brexit-eu-national-citizen-a7639831.html
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/...n-britain-told-to-make-arrangements-to-leave/

If that doesn't tell you what side the UK government is positioned on, I don't know what will.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Well the UK could have guaranteed rights of EU citizens in the UK to create some goodwill.

Maybe ask the EU to do the same for British citizens. They weren't prepared to either.

If you're going to criticise one, criticise the other as well instead of looking like a hypocrite.

Instead it wants to negotiate about them. Shows you that they see them as potential bargaining chips because the decision is pretty simple. Either they can stay or they leave. Not sure what is there to negotiate.

I hope the EU comes out in a few days after Art. 50 and guarantees all UK citizens to stay in the EU. No matter what the UK goverment wants.

May should have guaranteed those rights, no doubt about it, but without a reciprocal agreement she ran the risk of having the EU pull a fast one. I don't think the EU was ever going to do that but you can see the cause of her nervousness even if it is ill-founded. However, hopefully this matter will be addressed ASAP.

d9b

Banned
They've sent multiple EU citizens who have lived in the UK for years, and who had residency rights, letters telling them they're not welcome in the UK any more and to make preparations to leave.

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...tish-children-told-to-leave-uk-after-24-years
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/u...eave-brexit-eu-national-citizen-a7639831.html
http://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/...n-britain-told-to-make-arrangements-to-leave/

If that doesn't tell you what side the UK government is positioned on, I don't know what will.
This is nuts!

Xando

Maybe ask the EU to do the same for British citizens. They weren't prepared to either.

If you're going to criticise one, criticise the other as well instead of looking like a hypocrite.

Well the EU hasn't sent letters to UK citizens telling them to prepare to leave, have they?

I hope the EU guarantees the rights of people as soon Art. 50 is triggered. Guaranteeing before a member state actually notfied the EU it's gonna leave would make the whole "no decisions before Art.50"process nonsense.

Indeed. It's in the much greater interest for the EU and the western world as a whole for the UK to suffer dramatically for their choice. Hopefully the EU countries can make that happen and siphon as much talent and resources away as possible.

Yeah that will make terrorizing member states into obedience much easier in the future. Just what the western world needs.

Those letters were a blunder but I'm not sure what else the HO is supposed to do given that it cannot guarantee anyone's future outside an agreement at top level. Should they tell her everything will be fine when that has not been agreed?

tuxfool

Banned
Yeah that will make terrorizing member states into obedience much easier in the future. Just what the western world needs.

It seems people these days don't realise that "playing stupid games nets them stupid prizes".

It is less about terror, but more about teaching stupid people what consequences are.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Too many people responded to my post to reply to all but I'm not asking for any kind of special deal, I'm just asking that the UK be treated fairly and given a similar (but obviously not identical deal) to nations such as Norway and Switzerland.

Obviously we will need to negotiate our own deal and I don't think the EU owes us anything (other than fairness). I just hope that cool heads prevail during negotiations and that we come to a mutually beneficial deal. At the moment it seems that the EU is desperate to punish the UK and make things as difficult as possible.

Here's the thing: whatever "mutually beneficial arrangement" we get, it'll be a net loss for the UK in terms of trade with the EU. Because there are no club privileges without club membership. There's nothing mean spirited about it. Specially when being needlessly nice to the UK is contrary to the EU's own interests. This is precisely what happens when you decide to change a friendship to a partnership.

The UK won't get anything that didn't ask by deciding to go solo. That is not punishment. Specially when May's strategy has been to drive the UK straight into hard Brexit. At this point, whatever the UK gets will be precisely what they asked for.

It seems people these days don't realise that "playing stupid games nets them stupid prizes".

It is less about terror, but more about teaching stupid people what consequences are.

Awful opinion. I would say that I hope that your life gets fucked over because of something someone else in your country did but I won't because I'm not that much of a cunt.

What the fuck is this?

tuxfool

Banned

Neither Norway nor Switzerland actively squandered any goodwill towards them over the years. The consideration of what "fair" is has to be within the greater context of what is good for the EU.

CTLance

Sure, but you still have to compromise more than if you're representing only your own interests.
What's so bad about compromises? Do you honestly think the UK on its own is able to strike deals with other countries - and especially trading blocs -without compromising on far more issues?

UK coming to a trade agreement with e.g. China will see UK bent over a barrel and China bringing the pain. Only EU can hope to go toe to toe with a giant like that. And there are increasingly more of these giants and blocs around. It's an economic arms race of sorts.

The big players will absolutely rip UK a new one, and cheerfully at that. That's why they are the big global players in the first place. It's the name of the game, eat or be eaten. There are no freebies to be had. This is about business.

tuxfool

Banned
Awful opinion. I would say that I hope that your life gets fucked over because of something someone else in your country did but I won't because I'm not that much of a cunt.

Unfortunately as a collective everyone suffers. I certainly feel for those that aren't pushing for this idiocy, but moreover you should be blaming the ones that voted for this first, not other people that now have been forced to look out for themselves.

Audioboxer

So Holyrood just voted for IndyRef 2. Amazing times.

A small hurdle, but yeah, a crucial one to get over. Next issue is Westminster. At worst though all they can really do without a mutiny on their hands is force the hand to a set date and time. The vote is going to happen at some point, the question now is simply, when?

The debate in the Scottish Parliament was quite vicious, watched some of it. As usual, Tories being Tories, and Labour being Tory-lite. Lots of "pls don't divide us" and "but think about 2014!". Desperation all round to keep Scotland tied firmly to this UK corpse.

Murdo Fraser with his hilarious attempt at saying Nicola Sturgeon makes Theresa May popular in Scotland was LOL. He's a proper grade A bellend.

theaface

The UK has unequivocally rejected a Norway/Switzerland model before the topic has even come up for discussion. We've opted for a hard Brexit and won't accept the four freedoms. That's on us, 100%. Thank May and the Brexiteers for that one, not the EU. Or maybe Cameron, who sought to hold a referendum on an immensely complex subject with a ludicrously simple single question.

Everything the EU has said up until now speaks of fairness, not punishment. As an institution, it should best serve the interest of its remaining 27 members, not the single country that volunteered to leave. Again, that's not punishment, just a cold splash of harsh truth to the face.

The Brexitards already fucked my life up. I've been hoping to move to mainland Europe once I've got a career set up. Now I may have to commit a future to this dull island. So my life already got fucked over by something someone else did.

I'm tempted to hope that everyone who voted for this has their lives go to shit in return and hope they get punished for voting the way they did. Not a nice way to think, but it's still tempting.

Chmpocalypse

Blizzard
Man, Quiche is being so chipper and optimistic about all of this. For y'all's sake I hope he's right. I must confess I'm rather less optimistic about this thing.

News (Tagesschau) claimed there's already 7.2% fewer exports from Germany to the UK compared to last year. May the gods have mercy upon all of us.

The biggest problem is that UK hasn't needed to negotiate on that scale and in that particular area for a long time now and thus has to scramble to get back the expertise and staff. Keep in mind these things can take up to a decade to nail down.

Afterwards, they will have to start from scratch instead of organically growing into those deals like the other small countries. After EU has possibly finished ripping out their desired chunks of flesh, they might not even find themselves in a particularly good economic situation, which makes negotiations harder. Especially given the time frame for any wide-ranging trading agreements. UK would need those deals, like, yesterday.

What are the specific advantages to being a small country instead of a large trading bloc in this context? Flexibility? Because that's pretty much the only thing I can imagine. The only thing is that such a large body is less flexible and less agile if things get really involved since it's still a bunch of loosely tied together countries.
A bigger market being more desirable from the viewpoint of the partner, more and better skilled/paid/rested negotiators doing better work (and given the potential profit for less money per country), less reliance on the resulting payout meaning less exploitable urgency... a trading bloc is superior in any other regard that I could think of. Granted, I'm just a lowly IT drone and have no clue about economics.

He's not. He's whistling past the graveyard.

d9b

Banned
In case people need a source:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39422747

69 to 59 in favour of calling for a Referendum.

Nigel Farage making Britain great again:
cEKvA82.gif

"Things are looking pretty good!"

Joni

Okay. That basically means paying exactly as much as you do now as Norway pays as much per capita as the reduced tariff the United Kingdom has, accepting the Schengen Area, remaining in the single market in return for freedom of movement. But you can fish as much as you want.

Xando

Nigel Farage making Britain great again:
cEKvA82.gif

"Things are looking pretty good!"

Dude doesn't care. He'll leave the UK if brexit turns bad anyway
UK goverment turned that down before any negotiations though. That's not the EUs fault

RenditMan

Banned
What's so bad about compromises? Do you honestly think the UK on its own is able to strike deals with other countries - and especially trading blocs -without compromising on far more issues?

UK coming to a trade agreement with e.g. China will see UK bent over a barrel and China bringing the pain. Only EU can hope to go toe to toe with a giant like that. And there are increasingly more of these giants and blocs around. It's an economic arms race of sorts.

The big players will absolutely rip UK a new one, and cheerfully at that. That's why they are the big global players in the first place. It's the name of the game, eat or be eaten. There are no freebies to be had. This is about business.

Trade deals are done between non EU countries with far smaller economies than the UK daily, do please tell us how the UK won't be able to do said deals.

The UK economy is larger than 20 or so EU countries economies put together. It'll be fine.

d9b

Banned
Trade deals are done between non EU countries with far smaller economies than the UK daily, do please tell us how the UK won't be able to do said deals.

The UK economy is larger than 20 or so EU countries economies put together. It'll be fine.

Things are looking pretty good.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
Other countries will still want to trade with the UK a lot.

Of course full WTO tariffs on the UK's largest market (the EU) isn't looking pretty good, but there will be plenty of old friends outside the EU who will want to trade at least.

Do you think that the trade deals in those cases are better then what the UK is getting right now in the EU?

Sure the UK can and will make trade deals but the terms will likely not be as favorable as the country would like.

In case people need a source:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-39422747

69 to 59 in favour of calling for a Referendum.

Oh fuck. I'm not sure we can cope with one fundamental constitutional change, let alone two at once.

I thought we blew our national reserves of stupidity on Brexit, but I guess there are near-bottomless reserves of the stuff.

I hope this is just posturing by the SNP to get more influence over Brexit.

kmag

<citation needed>

Most recent trade deals have been bloc to bloc. There are relatively few single nations doing trade deals and outside of South Korea (who are essentially a corporate controlled entity) the single nation players are mostly natural resource providers (Australia, Canada, Chile, Norway etc), and the UK has deals with most of those single players via the EU.

When you are doing deals you'll be doing them with trade blocs (most of whom have bigger economies) or bigger single countries. Sorry to burst your bubble. Still there's always NZ.

Armaros

Those other counties have the Majority of their trade connected to the EU?

Neo C.

You know their deals, right?

Audioboxer

Oh fuck. I'm not sure we can cope with one fundamental constitutional change, let alone two at once.

I thought we blew our national reserves of stupidity on Brexit, but I guess there are near-bottomless reserves of the stuff.

I hope this is just posturing by the SNP to get more influence over Brexit.

Nah, they've already tried to engage with and shape Brexit. It failed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom