• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK set to trigger Brexit on March 29

When should the UK celebrate Independence Day?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nigel Farage making Britain great again:
cEKvA82.gif

"Things are looking pretty good!"

That Russian puppet is over in California trying to do the same bullshit for the 2018 election.

kmag

Other countries will still want to trade with the UK a lot.

Of course full WTO tariffs on the UK's largest market (the EU) isn't looking pretty good, but there will be plenty of old friends outside the EU who will want to trade at least.

The EU will have a trade deal with Australia before the UK do. It's also almost signed with Japan, and is ongoing with NZ. And the UK leaving will resolve the major issue with EU/India deal (namely visa rights and spirit tariffs)

You've got a lot of catching up to do just to stand still. 58 RTA (trade agreements)and 108 MRA (Mutual recognition agreements) with another 20 trade negotiations in progress.

Of course other countries will want to trade with the UK, but you're simply unlikely to get the sort of deal you get with a market of 450 million people

The EU like all the major economies pretty much gets one sided deals in its favour with smaller nations.

The UK is a bigger economy than most other single nations but desperate. And there's also the fact that the UK is primarily a service exporter and services are hard to get right when it comes to trade deals.

The UK needs a "good" deal because it has chosen to link it's economy to the rEU (imports, exports, services, even workers it seems), and it's get a good deal and stay linked to the EU or retool the economy.

IMO the rEU should offer a "good" deal only insofar as it helps it's own economy, same as what the UK should do, if a retool is better, then, retool away.

bosseye

The Brexitards already fucked my life up. I've been hoping to move to mainland Europe once I've got a career set up. Now I may have to commit a future to this dull island. So my life already got fucked over by something someone else did.

I'm tempted to hope that everyone who voted for this has their lives go to shit in return and hope they get punished for voting the way they did. Not a nice way to think, but it's still tempting.

This makes me sad, it's so toxic. You want people's lives to be ruined, you want to punish others because they have, essentially, a different political opinion to yours.

And I know you said 'tempted' but it seems pretty clear that is your thinking. This crops up a lot on GAF, the pyrhic victory crowd who want failure and misery all round (presumably affecting them too?) simply to say "Told you so". Utterly bizarre.

You can presumably still move to mainland Europe when your career is set up, it'll presumably require more red tape and time than now, but I would imagine it's still going to be a viable option? I hope it works out in some fashion for you.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe
The EU will have a trade deal with Australia before the UK do. It's also almost signed with Japan, and is ongoing with NZ. And the UK leaving will resolve the major issue with EU/India deal (namely visa rights and spirit tariffs)

You've got a lot of catching up to do just to stand still. 58 RTA (trade agreements)and 108 MRA (Mutual recognition agreements) with another 20 trade negotiations in progress.

Of course other countries will want to trade with the UK, but you're simply unlikely to get the sort of deal you get with a market of 450 million people

The EU like all the major economies pretty much gets one sided deals in its favour with smaller nations.

The UK is a bigger economy than most other single nations but desperate. And there's also the fact that the UK is primarily a service exporter and services are hard to get right when it comes to trade deals.

No doubt, that's all true, and it's not looking good.

That said. Australia, New Zealand, and Canada might be willing to do something though that's not too bad for the UK. That's your best bet.

And countries like South Africa have enough on their plate but will still want to trade, I think there'll be countries out there that simply won't want a disruption.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-24/south-africa-seeks-agriculture-boost-in-post-brexit-trade-deal

jelly

Could try to build a bloc with Canada, Australia, and NZ maybe??

All service sector economies.

The major issue is firstly, the EU bloc is massive and has trade deals with many others, no UK trip around the world striking up trade deals is going to match it in the slightest and secondly, the time to get other trade deals done, that isn't happening fast so if the UK can't agree a deal with the EU, that's not good and no they won't get a favourable deal from the EU like they have at this very moment. Thirdly, the EU is a big stick in trade deals, the UK by itself is a tiny desperate stick that has little leverage to get a good trade deal which is an awful platform to be standing on. It's stupid beyond belief.

UK either accepts the four freedoms deal or gets nothing is my guess, the former results in what the hell was the point of Brexit, you've got a worse deal but good access or the latter what the hell are doing no deal that will screw the UK every which way on Sunday.

tuxfool

Banned
This makes me sad, it's so toxic. You want people's lives to be ruined, you want to punish others because they have, essentially, a different political opinion to yours.

And I know you said 'tempted' but it seems pretty clear that is your thinking. This crops up a lot on GAF, the pyrhic victory crowd who want failure and misery all round (presumably affecting them too?) simply to say "Told you so". Utterly bizarre.

You can presumably still move to mainland Europe when your career is set up, it'll presumably require more red tape and time than now, but I would imagine it's still going to be a viable option? I hope it works out in some fashion for you.
*Everyone* is getting failure out of this. Only that some will get more than others. You have to ask yourself why people should have goodwill to stupid behaviour?

All that does is prime the future for more stupidity.

Xando

No doubt, that's all true, and it's not looking good.

That said. Australia, New Zealand, and Canada might be willing to do something though that's not too bad for the UK. That's your best bet.

And countries like South Africa have enough on their plate but will still want to trade, I think there'll be countries out there that simply won't want a disruption.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-01-24/south-africa-seeks-agriculture-boost-in-post-brexit-trade-deal

Doesn't look like Canada is very interested for now:

Canada's finance minister has dashed hopes of rekindling a close trading pact among the countries of the Commonwealth including Britain once the process of leaving the EU has been completed.
Bill Morneau told the Financial Times that while Canada would want to strike a trade deal with the UK once it had left the EU because ”affinity" between the two countries is high, this was far from the top of his priorities. ”We're not talking as much about Brexit as you are in the UK," he said.
While he nodded to the traditional closeness between the two countries, saying that Canadians hold ”pretty dear" the relationship, he was clear that a trade deal is not the top of his agenda.
”From our perspective, clearly the Nafta [North American Free Trade Agreement] relationship [with the US] is of huge importance. That's our biggest relationship by a very big margin, so that's important to us. And then the Ceta relationship [with the EU] opens up a very significant market. Our opening of exploratory talks with China . . . we do see as important and as the UK figures its next steps, that will be important too."
https://www.ft.com/content/47c59030-ac11-11e6-9cb3-bb8207902122

kmag

Could try to build a bloc with Canada, Australia, and NZ maybe??

All service sector economies.

Canada ( Raw materials, including logs, minerals, food (grains, cattle, fish), oil and gas.), NZ (Dairy products, meat, wool and wood products, fish, machinery) and Australia (iron ore, gold, coal, meat, wool, alumina, wheat, machinery and transport equipment) are not service sector economies. They're primarly resource exporters.

Australia goods exports $191 364.6 million
services exports: $53 171.1 million
Canada goods exports $393 481.0 million
services exports: $80 978.0 million
NZ goods exports $33 603.6 million
services exports: $15 005.2 million

All blocs are regional, because the vast majority of trade is local.

The UK needs a "good" deal because it has chosen to link it's economy to the rEU (imports, exports, services, even workers it seems), and it's get a good deal and stay linked to the EU or retool the economy.

IMO the rEU should offer a "good" deal only insofar as it helps it's own economy, same as what the UK should do, if a retool is better, then, retool away.

Well, I don't think we really chose to do that. But the trend of the percentage of our trade with the EU has been declining for years. At the same time, the EU has been declining as a percentage of world GDP, so maybe this is a good time to start looking elsewhere.

Edit:

So is there a count down party?

It's 12:30pm so I think most people will be at work, not really a great time for a party :-/

Pancake Mix

Doesn't look like Canada is very interested for now:

That's from last year. This is what's going on now:

Canada wants to avoid a Brexit cliff-edge too.

The government is pushing for its trade deal with Europe to be ratified by Britain before it leaves the European Union to secure the crucial agreement. It also has its eye on deeper relations with the U.K. once Brexit is complete.

Canada wants to preserve any preferential access that businesses or investors currently have, High Commissioner to the U.K. Janice Charette said in an interview from her office overlooking Trafalgar Square on March 20. ”That's the idea of avoiding some kind of a cliff-edge," she said. Also, ”we'll be interested in seeing what we can do to enhance the bilateral arrangement" after the U.K. is out.

https://www.thestar.com/business/2017/03/22/canada-aims-to-avoid-brexit-cliff-edge-with-trade-talks.html

Canada wants the UK to sign on to CETA and to have something similar with the UK post-Brexit, not a trade disruption with an old friend. The UK is Canada's largest European trading partner.

Xando

Pancake Mix

That's about CETA which the UK will be part of for the next 2 years. As soon as Brexit is through that won't apple to the UK anymore

Quite right, but Canada wants to preserve the spirit of the agreement and perhaps go into service sector stuff (which we both know CETA doesn't cover) post-Brexit.

More from that article:

”If you look at just one-to-one, the area of financial services is huge for the U.K., and that will be of interest for Canada" for going ”beyond what is in the CETA agreement today," Charette said. Trade in services more broadly could be improved and the countries could discuss how to build on CETA arrangements for intra-company transfers or the movement of professionals, she said.

Technical discussions to preserve CETA with the U.K. after Brexit have begun. Francois-Philippe Champagne, appointed Canadian trade minister this year, has met with U.K. Trade Secretary Liam Fox several times already, Charette said.

Obviously it'd have to be a separate deal with a separate name after Brexit, but the spirit of the agreement is solid. Canada is not looking for a disruption, and the UK is a priority.

It's everyone else you have to worry about.

Not going to shed a single tear for people who are going to go broke because they were scared of foreigners and brown people.

Fuck that noise.

You know what happened with people the EU was pretty nice to, especially in regions where the own government didn't do a shit.

They were the ones who voted flr Brexit lasr year.

If I could hop on over to America for a job, I would!

Dunno, pretty much all my family moved there. I might be able too as well, but who knows when. I'm not convinced that moving to other parts of Europe is really a good option. I don't want to offend other Europeans at all. It's not like the economies of the only countries in the EU i'd settle in are doing too well, like Spain.

The worst case scenario for the economy here is pretty much what is Spain right now. And Brexit is going to hurt continental Europe the most, outside of UK, itself.

I guess, my POV is coming from London, where it's pretty different from the rest of the UK. Yes, if I was living in some grim town, I think I'd be a lot more angry, lol.

It's been approx ~70 years of a post-British Empire time period (arbitrarily choosing 1950 as a date) and still I see this English pride of "we're the best in the world" in almost every Englishman I meet online and offline (note: markedly not the same from Welsh, Scottish or Irish people). Interesting undertones of that in Brexit and comments about Brexit.

Still though, hats off on Independence, hope you understand how your colonies felt back then.

Pancake Mix

Not going to shed a single tear for people who are going to go broke because they were scared of foreigners and brown people.

Fuck that noise.

I mean...that sort of attitude goes both ways. Countries in the Middle East make far stupider decisions all the time, should nobody shed a tear for them in return?

Severe economic difficulty would be good for no one.

I mean...that sort of attitude goes both ways. Countries in the Middle East make far stupider decisions all the time, should nobody shed a tear for them in return?

That's happening regardless. When EU funding into towns/cities stops, they'll go back to being shit-holes again.

And only an idiot will argue that the UK government will pick up that lost funding. Those areas will decline even further, people will have even fewer opportunities, their children will be born in even worse poverty and do you know who they'll blame? The EU and foreigners. And when they've fucked chicken to death, they'll turn on each other and start to demonise others on welfare who they 'feel' don't deserve it.

These people deserve to suffer. Only through suffering will they realise what they had and what they willingly gave up for the empty promise of seeing one less Muslim on their streets.

I hope they have the decency to not have children, but that's unlikely so I'll hope they don't have more than one. Again, unlikely.

It's been approx ~70 years of a post-British Empire time period (arbitrarily choosing 1950 as a date) and still I see this English pride of "we're the best in the world" in almost every Englishman I meet online and offline (note: markedly not the same from Welsh, Scottish or Irish people). Interesting undertones of that in Brexit and comments about Brexit.

Still though, hats off on Independence, hope you understand how your colonies felt back then.

You don't, just that you probably don't immediately realise the English that are on the internet and aren't doing that because we haven't taken a union jack, tied it round our wang dang doodle and set that as a display picture/avatar/whatever.

Pancake Mix

That's happening regardless. When EU funding into towns/cities stops, they'll go back to being shit-holes again.

And only an idiot will argue that the UK government will pick up that lost funding. Those areas will decline even further, people will have even fewer opportunities, their children will be born in even worse poverty and do you know who they'll blame? The EU and foreigners. And when they've fucked chicken to death, they'll turn on each other and start to demonise others on welfare who they 'feel' don't deserve it.

These people deserve to suffer. Only through suffering will they realise what they had and what they willingly gave up for the empty promise of seeing one less Muslim on their streets.

I hope they have the decency to not have children, but that's unlikely so I'll hope they don't have more than one. Again, unlikely.

I don't think anyone seriously thought the UK government would cover the lost funding in Cornwall and Wales. They didn't care.

But wishing people to suffer and not to have children? You disgust me, piss off with that attitude.

You seem like a really angry bloke, and again, nothing has actually happened yet...

I don't think anyone seriously thought the UK government would cover the lost funding in Cornwall and Wales. They didn't care.

But wishing people to suffer and not to have children? You disgust me, piss off with that attitude.

Um, they were literally begging for assurances of continued funding the morning after the vote.

And yes, I do hope they don't have children. Bringing children into the world when you can barely feed yourself is incredibly selfish and all they are doing is creating problems that society will have to deal with when they decide to wash their hands of their children.

And a lot of people voted for brexit knowing it would cause hard times for others. Not sure why I should respect that.

Seiryoden

nvm.

nekkid

It doesn't matter who we are, what matters is our plan.

Sorry, but this attitude is deeply unhelpful.

In fact, you've lowered yourself to a level below those people you are so offended by with that comment, so congrats.

Pancake Mix

Um, they were literally begging for assurances of continued funding the morning after the vote.

And yes, I do hope they don't have children. Bringing children into the world when you can barely feed yourself is incredibly selfish and all they are doing is creating problems that society will have to deal with when they decide to wash their hands of their children.

Of course the councils wanted the funding to continue. They were probably as shocked as anyone. Doesn't mean they thought they would get it.

Your stupid anecdote about children is essentially implying that most people in Africa and Asia should not have children. Maybe piss off, I dunno. Cornwall and Wales will survive and don't pretend like you ever cared about them.

I think he meant, severe economic problems were part of the reason for the vote, not just racism.

And if I'm not mistaken, the EU doesn't actually pay into any British cities or towns due to their GDP per capita, just like France or Germany. But that's not to say the economic hurt isn't about to come. Oh, that will happen. Just for different reasons.

Yes, it's a sad day. I don't think people from the EU should be happy. Your economy and political power also diminished. Liberal westernism lost. Russia won.

Gotten into arguments with my GF many times for saying her two friends who voted brexit, one a true lefty who did it as a joke apparently, are either dim or uninformed. Hahaha, people talk about fighting and rifts between husbands and wives, I am angry at my GF for having a single friend who voted brexit, the other friend she kinda let go of.

The worst is when I was having lunch with old work colleagues, and their retarded pro Brexit take. I don't blame the people. They are a combination of apathetic, racist, dim, uninformed, and for the lulz trollish. Blame Cameron. He made what has to be the biggest political blunder in Modern British history. That might be an understatement.

Cool analogy, when was the last time the rights of British citizens were changed thanks to a referendum or election in Lebanon or Palestine?

Maybe they should have thought of that before they voted for it?

Pancake Mix

Cool analogy, when was the last time the rights of British citizens were changed thanks to a referendum or election in Lebanon or Palestine?

That was not my analogy, and we're talking about a tiny number of people, so that would obviously never be on the radar.

Joni

And if I'm not mistaken, the EU doesn't actually pay into any British cities or towns due to their GDP per capita, just like France or Germany. But that's not to say the economic hurt isn't about to come. Oh, that will happen. Just for different reasons.

It does fund certain sectors and area's in Britain. Some examples.
http://gov.wales/funding/eu-funds/?lang=en
Britain is a net contributer but it does get money back through different programs where it goes to those net contributors.

I think, you know the whole Russian ideology, their philsopher Alexander Dugan? If I am not mistaken is his name. You know Putin's idol. The whole belief that Europe will be controlled by Russia, Eurasia, all the way to dublin. And America would be the other world influence. And their belief that is always going to be the end battle, America versus Russia, the two super influences of power.

I kinda think this actually will come to pass over time. As fucked up as it is, Putin's world view, his reason for coming back into power, it seems to be coming to pass. He keeps on winning and taking down the EU.

Le Pen could very easily win. And the Eastern European, EU countries have a huge facism racism problem, already. Culturally speaking, Poland, and Bulgaria are much more similar to racist facist Russia than to say Germany. The rot as already started, and those countries won't be too difficult for Russia to influence, I think.

Of course the councils wanted the funding to continue. They were probably as shocked as anyone. Doesn't mean they thought they would get it.

Your stupid anecdote about children is essentially implying that most people in Africa and Asia should not have children. Maybe piss off, I dunno. Cornwall and Wales will survive and don't pretend like you ever cared about them.

Pretty sure the councillors were campaigning for Brexit, so why would they be shocked?

And yes, they shouldn't. Look at the famine sweeping through some African countries right now. How many children are going to suffer and die of starvation? I get it, having children is a biological imperative, but you should take your circumstances to look after and feed that child before you have one. I don't know why you'd take an issue with this.

Would you have children if you could barely feed yourself once a day?

And I did care. I cared that they were being rejuvenated by EU funding and receiving new opportunities like Liverpool, then they decided to vote away the only help they'll receive. They were warned and they still opted to literally chop off the only hand that was willing to feed them. It's hard to feel any sympathy for these people.

Comparing the UK in the EU to the former colonies' situation as part of the British Empire seems rather tone def to history to me.

Jacob

Pretty sure the councillors were campaigning for Brexit, so why would they be shocked?

Which councillors? Plaid Cymru and Mebyon Kernow both backed Remain. The "begging for funding" story that got the most traction right after the referendum involved an independent member of the Cornwall Council (a representative article can be seen here), but he was also in favor of Remain during the referendum campaign.

Audioboxer

So, the 29th, is it a midnight launch? How many have pre-ordered Brexit?

Edit: Unprecedented, it has unlocked early http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-39422353

Theresa May has signed the letter that will formally begin the UK's departure from the European Union.

Giving official notice under Article 50 of the Lisbon Treaty, it will be delivered to European Council president Donald Tusk on Wednesday.

In a statement in the Commons, the prime minister will then tell MPs this marks "the moment for the country to come together".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom