• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK set to trigger Brexit on March 29

When should the UK celebrate Independence Day?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tuxfool

Banned
You seem to be underestimating how important this is,

the Duke of Devonshire Lord Cavendish, in homage to Queen Victoria, introduced bananas to the whole world, and they were bendy bananas, not some foreign muck.

I don't believe he was the first to introduce bananas to Europe, but he does have a strain named after him (and obviously the most popular type).

sammex

C8E_O5NWsAAWn4B.jpg

tuxfool

Banned
As gross as the headline is, that is a fairly good distillation of what the UK is using to bargain in its Article 50 letter. The difference is the delusion that the UK would be offering its services as a mercenary enterprise and not that it also requires help in that regard.

theaface

Speaking of the Sun's front pages, tomorrows is especially gross..

C8HeMAQXUAE-0Ro.jpg

"Your money or your lives". Obviously not a direct quote but it reads well when said by a highwayman in an old western, less so when said/implied by the PM of the UK.

I know I should never ever ever be surprised by The Scum newspaper, but the fact that they've plastered that over their front page as if something to be pleased about (as opposed to deeply ashamed) is remarkable, even for them.

jelly

so did may threaten with war? like seriously?

May basically alluded to a few times in her letter that security 'information sharing, military etc.' should go hand in hand with a trade deal which basically means give us what we want or the terrorists and Russia can have their way with the EU.

Hazzuh

"Your money or your lives". Obviously not a direct quote but it reads well when said by a highwayman in an old western, less so when said/implied by the PM of the UK.

I know I should never ever ever be surprised by The Scum newspaper, but the fact that they've plastered that over their front page as if something to be pleased about (as opposed to deeply ashamed) is remarkable, even for them.

It is supposed to be a reference to British highwaymen from the 17th and 18th century which makes it all the more weird that the Sun are treating it positively. The headline seriously seems like someone trying to present May in the most negative light possible.

May basically alluded to a few times in her letter that security 'information sharing, military etc.' should go hand in hand with a trade deal which basically means give us what we want or the terrorists and Russia can have their way with the EU.

okay so basically they will not only get out of EU but also out of NATO and stop cooperation between secret services. in other words: if russia invades the UK or if eurooean agencies come across any plans of terrorists regarding the UK the EU member countries will do nothing and vice versa. great plan
That's disgusting. Especially after last weeks events in London. Imagine a EU service would know but withold information because of a bad trade deal

why not. thats what may wants? thats what the UK people voted for. more sovereinigty and independence and no outside interference.

The scary thing about that headline is that this is day one, God knows how low they'll go to shape the narrative when shit really hits the fan.

Pandy

I know it's wishful thinking bullshit, but...

... I'm honestly starting to wonder if May isn't secretly still a committed Remainer. She's doing such an incredible job of fouling everything up that she'll be able to say at the last minute that she tried hard but it's going to be a disaster, so let's call the whole thing off.

Disclosure: During the EU ref my theory was that David Cameron secretly wanted Leave to win, because he was making such an arse of it. Maybe these people are just shit Prime Ministers.

tuxfool

Banned
okay so basically they will not only get out of EU but also out of NATO and stop cooperation between secret services. in other words: if russia invades the UK or if eurooean agencies come across any plans of terrorists regarding the UK the EU member countries will do nothing and vice versa. great plan.

Yeah that is kind of the thing, on terrorism they rely on information sharing and cooperation. On Russia they're bound by NATO treaties. It is a bit of a hollow threat. The real problem is that they would make it in the first place.

... I'm honestly starting to wonder if May isn't secretly still a committed Remainer. She's doing such an incredible job of fouling everything up that she'll be able to say at the last minute that she tried hard but it's going to be a disaster, so let's call the whole thing off.

Disclosure: During the EU ref my theory was that David Cameron secretly wanted Leave to win, because he was making such an arse of it. Maybe these people are just shit Prime Ministers.

UK is out. there is no way to rescind this procedure. UK will have to rejoin which will take decades (think turkey)
Yeah that is kind of the thing, on terrorism they rely on information sharing and cooperation. On Russia they're bound by NATO treaties. It is a bit of a hollow threat. The real problem is that they would make it in the first place.

unless US, UK and russia form a new world order alliance (with UK being an annexure to US)

jelly

That's what I'm hoping for. Give people enough time to chew on the shitshow, say it's absolute bonkers to do it, the EU has changed too which is very possible and maybe give another vote once it's done for going through with it. Slim chance but I need it. I don't think we are 100% out just yet. The winds can change and people realise it might be a very bad idea to leave.

CTLance

It's a good wake up call for the EU, actually.

It's been far too long that we've relied on the Britons who've been snooping big time on the transatlantic cable and doing all kinds of intrusive shit like infesting mainland telecom hardware with Trojans (less technical). Meanwhile mainland intelligence services think they're all hot stuff and up to date if one of the execs knows how to use their nephews iPad.

Ok, maybe not quite that bad, but we've been slacking off big time, at least in part due to UK being just that proactive in their data collection and snooping. Which was nonetheless worrying back then - and has become quite horrifying now when they are actually leaving the EU and thus, can stop pretending to play nice. Not like they got a scolding after the Trojan thing, but still, you know. It's all about appearances. It's one thing if your neighbour de-pants you in front of your crush, it's another thing entirely if they need to get a visa and plane ticket to do so.

Xando

The terror threat could be incredibly small in 5-10 years time compared to now. Would be foolish to negotiate on that anyway.
As germany increases military and intelligence budget until 2024 and overtakes the UK in spending it's not the best bargaining chip anyway.
Especially if UK could lose vital intelligence on attacks aswell.

Kyougar

An ancient old East-German proverb says it best:

„Gestern standen wir noch vor einem Abgrund. Heute sind wir schon einen großen Schritt weiter.“

"Yesterday, we were standing before an abyss. Today, we already took a big step forward."

(probably not the best translation)

;)

Well, lets get it over with and get the ball rolling for a united states of europe before 2050 now that the UK is out.

Since the medieval times it was in englands/britains interest to always divide the mainland and ally with the nation/block that holds another great power in check. In a matter they did this also in the EU, always trying to stop or delay further integration of the process of a united EU in all its areas.

theaface

Could also make you look like a total piece of shit acting in bad faith in the light of recent events.

Aye. Westminster using 'security to prevent acts of terrorism' as a bargaining chip, a week after an act of terrorism at Westminster, is a special kind of head-scratcher.

Xando

Aye. Westminster using 'security to prevent acts of terrorism' as a bargaining chip, a week after an act of terrorism at Westminster, is a special kind of head-scratcher.
It's already backfiring for her and creates a huge echo in the media. I expect some kind of backtracking or clarification from her tomorrow

CTLance

Could also make you look like a total piece of shit acting in bad faith in the light of recent events.
Needs Trump quotes for full effect: "Could"

Seriously, if UK were to withhold vital counter terrorism intelligence resulting in EU citizens coming to harm, things could get really ugly. And now that May has dropped these hints, even a random oversight or delay will send sparks flying, big time. Good job, really. Takes guts to not only poke the bee hive, but also feed it proactively with performance enhancing drugs.

Spaghetti

I mean, it was never a secret Farage was a max level white supremacist (the kind who views certain kinds of white people as not "his" white), so any kind of association with Bannon is an "of course" moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom