• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK set to trigger Brexit on March 29

When should the UK celebrate Independence Day?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NekoFever

Fuck me this is getting embarrassing.

In FOUR DAYS since Article 50 we've threatened to stop co-operating on counter-terrorism and people are talking about whether we could win a war with Spain. And people are still going on about the colour of fucking passports. We haven't even started on the Northern Ireland issue yet.

Seriously, are we the baddies?

It's hard to leave home. Objectively speaking staying in the UK with all that uncertainty must be reaaaaaaly difficult for one's mind. I know that from relatives and friends from Greece. I got calls daily during the worst times of the crisis.

This 100%.

Been in the UK for over 10 years now, and it's a struggle to not get extremely depressed.

It's never easy to move country, especially if the reason for the move is outside of your realm of influence. Luckily Brexit is "just" ideological / politic maneuvering gone wrong, instead having to move due to war / famine, etc.

But yeah, currently planning to move back to Germany, where I have no friends, family, or job, after having spend the majority of my adult life in the UK.

suedester

Banned
In this case, the traditional British composure has been notable for its absence.

The government has been pretty calm and reiterated support of Gibraltar. It's just the odd muppet like Michael Howard talking about Thatcher and Falklands. People like to take an individuals comments and project them across an entire country.

Edit after my post:

Exactly like this

In FOUR DAYS since Article 50 we've threatened to stop co-operating on counter-terrorism and people are talking about whether we could win a war with Spain. And people are still going on about the colour of fucking passports. We haven't even started on the Northern Ireland issue yet.

We would totally kick Spain's arse in a war though.

PJV3

In FOUR DAYS since Article 50 we've threatened to stop co-operating on counter-terrorism and people are talking about whether we could win a war with Spain. And people are still going on about the colour of fucking passports.

The Gibraltan leader was going on about the EU behaving like a cuckolded husband, a seriously loopy response to the situation.

We are leaving the club and our funny little sort of Spanish mate isn't getting an automatic pass back in.

Jesus Britain can you relax please, just because you are leaving the EU doesn't mean you have to go all Glorious Empire on us within a week. It's not 1920 anymore.

jelly

The government has been pretty calm and reiterated support of Gibraltar. It's just the odd muppet like Michael Howard talking about Thatcher and Falklands. People like to take an individuals comments and project them across an entire country.

Edit after my post:

Exactly like this

We would totally kick Spain's arse in a war though.

Not saying anything is just as bad which seems to be a thing with this government. They let the foaming lunatics set the tone without stamping it out.

Those judges, enemies of the people in the papers. Tory government reply? .................

Not content with Gibraltar, Spain is going for the prize, sarcasm!
Things keep going this way, queuing will be next, and then... hyping up your national football team and then sucking! :D

NekoFever

Not saying anything is just as bad which seems to be a thing with this government. They let the foaming lunatics set the tone without stamping it out.

Those judges, enemies of the people in the papers. Tory government reply? .................

This is exactly it. The responsible thing would have been to get out there yesterday and say Howard was talking out of his arse, then take him aside privately and tell him he's a fucking idiot. Now this is the story around the world.

suedester

Banned

Should a government really be responding to every comment? The hounding of the judges did need one but not everything does or should.

Seems like now people have got excited over the prospect of a bit of intra-european war over a rock they have responded.

bbc said:
Brexit Secretary David Davis, in Spain for meetings with members of its government, said Lord Howard was expressing the "resolve" of the UK in supporting the sovereignty of Gibraltar. He made it clear any talk of Falklands style taskforces "wasn't going to happen".

Empty

theresa may is in a bit of a bind wrt her public comments

- in westminster her government has a slim majority and she depends on tacit support of the loony wing of frothing brexiteers, so she doesn't want to criticise them and risk them undermining her government like major.
- yet she needs to negotiate a good deal for the uk and them constantly spouting off about the falklands and prosecco and all their crass stereotypes about loony europeans plays terribly on the continent and makes it much harder politically for eu-27 countries to sell a mutually beneficial deal to their voters.

tuxfool

Banned
Due to EU treaties attacking Spain means attacking the whole EU. Can the UK kick the EU's arse? I think not.

EU treaties, NATO treaties. The whole thing was nonsense, an empty threat.

However, it once again made them look like fools. They probably are fools, because they have been saying nonsense like this these past 6 months.

d9b

Banned
Due to NATO treaties, attacking Spain means attacking the USA.
Attacking the USA means they would be attacking themselves, due to their alliance with USA. Britain will go to war with themselves. Brexit circle complete.

Uzzy

Of course they do. We're about to embark on the toughest and most important set of diplomatic negotiations that the UK have taken part in since Versailles. Even with the best will in the world on all sides, a good deal might prove elusive. Any misspoken word, poorly considered thought or badly timed briefing paper, could derail the whole process and make it harder to get a good deal.

Howard knows that, and should know better than to say anything that would sap diplomatic goodwill from the EU, and irresponsible talk of sending taskforces down to kick the Spanish around isn't going to go down well.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Has this been posted yet?

https://www.ft.com/content/692768f4-17a3-11e7-a53d-df09f373be87

Financial Times said:
Central banks are dumping euros amid concerns over political instability, weak growth and the European Central Bank’s negative interest rate policy — and favour sterling as a long-term, stable alternative.

Despite uncertainty over Brexit — formally triggered last week by prime minister Theresa May — central bankers from around the world see the UK as a safer prospect for their reserve investments than the eurozone, a new poll reveals. According to a survey published Monday of reserve managers at 80 central banks, who together are responsible for investments worth almost €6trn, the stability of the monetary union is their greatest fear for 2017. The results — compiled by trade publication Central Banking Publications and the bank HSBC earlier this year — show some respondents have cut their entire exposure to the euro, while others have reduced their holdings of investments denominated in euros to the bare minimum.

Making Sterling great again!

d9b

Banned
"Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon told the BBC on Sunday that the UK would protect Gibraltar "all the way" because its residents had "made it very clear they do not want to live under Spanish rule".

Britain should definitely calm down a bit.

PJV3

Has this been posted yet?

https://www.ft.com/content/692768f4-17a3-11e7-a53d-df09f373be87

Making Sterling great again!

The figures that came out today were alright for the EU, once the French and German elections are out of the way it should settle down, Italy is a wildcard I suppose.

If they manage to make it through all these problems over the last few years and the next,
they can survive anything.

It's crazy what the region has gone through.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Hmmm... I think this is actually thread worthy. It's more about the Euro than Brexit, and FT is a reputable source. I couldn't find a thread about it.

joanot

But if Spain were the aggressor we'd have NATO. That's an easy win.

If thats what makes you sleep at night.

Why would Spain or the UK attack each other ? Nonsense.

Right now UK's worst enemies are the British government & media sensationalism

Spain & the EU are scapegoats.Let`s not forget that blaming others for our own problems brought us to this situation in the first place.

suedester

Banned
If thats what makes you sleep at night.

Why would Spain or the UK attack each other ? Nonsense.

Right now UK's worst enemies are the British government & media sensationalism

Spain & the EU are scapegoats.Let`s not forget that blaming others for our own problems brought us to this situation in the first place.

Of course they aren't going to attack each other. But if they did, all other countries not being involved, Spain would get a whooping 😀

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
"Defence Secretary Sir Michael Fallon told the BBC on Sunday that the UK would protect Gibraltar "all the way" because its residents had "made it very clear they do not want to live under Spanish rule".

Britain should definitely calm down a bit.

"In this case, the traditional British composure has been notable for its absence."

In the case of threatening to stop co-operating? Yes.
On Gibraltar? No. Although over-reacted.
On the passports? No, that's just pure stupidity.

But yeah, it is embarrassing.

You'd be the one instigating World War 3, and basically proving that the point people made about the EU, that it kept the peace, was valid.

NATO and the EU is not going to just support you in a war against spain, in this hypothetical war scenario, it'd be split if Spain attacked first. And all against you if you attacked first. In either case you're looking at dead young boys to please your pissing contest.... well done.

Maybe you should go back to Call of Duty: English Imperial Warfare Mod. As I"m sure it won't be long until we see that one on PC.

Indeed, to many this is no longer allowed. Germans are quite fed up with your "fun" by now. Look up the documentaries were current day German college kids are asked about Nigel and Friends' tactics. Or the articles in which they discus the British rudeness in politics, "If they hate us so much, why don't they just leave! Getting quite sick of the NAZI comparisons by now" was an answer or theme often heard.

People are a bit sick of you on "the continent", you guys seem great in dishing out, but receiving a few jokes in return is a major issue for you guys. Let me try to find it for you...should be around.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtschaft/grossbritannien-und-die-eu-brexit-dann-geht-doch-1.2940619 I'll try to find more.
https://www.welt.de/debatte/komment...ebe-Brexit-Briten-dann-geht-doch-endlich.html
http://www.stern.de/politik/ausland/brexit--grossbritannien-wird-zu-little-england-6917520.html (Has a section about Gove comparing people that were against it to NAZIs, and it basically states it as "Immer wieder den vergleich" or "As always agian the comparison with..." which should tell you a bit about how SICK the Germans are about that part of the British press and politics. LIke the constant comparison that they want a "Fourth Reich" via the EU :( )
https://magazin.spiegel.de/SP/2016/24/145210817/index.html
http://www.taz.de/!5008960/

I'll save you the documentary of a Dutch TV show were they interviewed the students, but I can send it to you if it is still online. Sorry, I speak Dutch, German, Norwegian and a little English ;). One parent is from The Netherlands the other from Norway and German is just quite easy to understand once you know Dutch, don't know if it works the other way around though :D.
I know that the guy you're replying to got you rattled but in all honesty you're coming across just as a bad and jingoistic albeit on the other side, its hardly conducive to discourse. It may be best to rise above it.

Dehnus

But if Spain were the aggressor we'd have NATO. That's an easy win.

You'd be the one instigating World War 3, and basically proving that the point people made about the EU, that it kept the peace, was valid.

NATO and the EU is not going to just support you in a war against spain, in this hypothetical war scenario, it'd be split if Spain attacked first. And all against you if you attacked first. In either case you're looking at dead young boys to please your pissing contest.... well done.

Maybe you should go back to Call of Duty: English Imperial Warfare Mod. As I"m sure it won't be long until we see that one on PC.
nofunallowed.jpg
Indeed, to many this is no longer allowed. Germans are quite fed up with your "fun" by now. Look up the documentaries were current day German college kids are asked about Nigel and Friends' tactics. Or the articles in which they discus the British rudeness in politics, "If they hate us so much, why don't they just leave! Getting quite sick of the NAZI comparisons by now" was an answer or theme often heard.

People are a bit sick of you on "the continent", you guys seem great in dishing out, but receiving a few jokes in return is a major issue for you guys. Let me try to find it for you...should be around.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/wirtschaft/grossbritannien-und-die-eu-brexit-dann-geht-doch-1.2940619 I'll try to find more.
https://www.welt.de/debatte/komment...ebe-Brexit-Briten-dann-geht-doch-endlich.html
http://www.stern.de/politik/ausland/brexit--grossbritannien-wird-zu-little-england-6917520.html (Has a section about Gove comparing people that were against it to NAZIs, and it basically states it as "Immer wieder den vergleich" or "As always agian the comparison with..." which should tell you a bit about how SICK the Germans are about that part of the British press and politics. LIke the constant comparison that they want a "Fourth Reich" via the EU :( )
https://magazin.spiegel.de/SP/2016/24/145210817/index.html
http://www.taz.de/!5008960/

I'll save you the documentary of a Dutch TV show were they interviewed the students, but I can send it to you if it is still online. Sorry, I speak Dutch, German, Norwegian and a little English ;). One parent is from The Netherlands the other from Norway and German is just quite easy to understand once you know Dutch, don't know if it works the other way around though :D.

The figures that came out today were alright for the EU, once the French and German elections are out of the way it should settle down, Italy is a wildcard I suppose.

If they manage to make it through all these problems over the last few years and the next,
they can survive anything.

It's crazy what the region has gone through.

I don't think it's about Germany at all. Chancellor will be either pro EU or pro EU. Governing parties will be either pro EU or pro EU.

It's probably mostly about France (i.e. that issue would be gone if MLP looses) and Italy.

I'm not even sure what is the endgame of the post-EU crowd is. A post Europe would be more Germany dominated with the UK being less relevant as ever.

The Chief Minister of Gibraltar has called the EU cucks. What a time to be alive.
Waiting for a somber "Nuh huh, I'm rubber, you're glue!" response from the EU.

I'm not even sure what is the endgame of the post-EU crowd is. A post Europe would be more Germany dominated with the UK being less relevant as ever.

I don't think there is an endgame for them. Their electorate is extremely short-sighted and spouts mostly nonsense, and their representatives (MLP, AfD etc.) are looking to bring those nonsensical ideas upon their country, while filling their own pockets with (Russian) money.

D4Danger

Unconfirmed Member
I live in Canary Islands, Spain.

Should I be scared, or is this war thing nonsense I can ignore?

we'll be changing all our guidance systems to imperial so I'd be more worried if you lived in Portugal.

but seriously, no of course not. ain't gonna be no war. this weekend has been so ridiculous.

"If Spain were the aggressor..." we'd be the one instigating World War 3? Eh?

I really don't think Spain would get much support from NATO or the EU if they attacked first...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom