• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UK set to trigger Brexit on March 29

When should the UK celebrate Independence Day?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
'Hey guys you're not in the EU anymore so it's okay if we start questioning the sovereignity of parts of your territory and ignore the will of the local population. What?! What are you getting mad for?'

eu logic

The EU has not made any demands regarding the sovereignity of Gibraltar.

joanot

'Hey guys you're not in the EU anymore so it's okay if we start questioning the sovereignity of parts of your territory and ignore the will of the local population. What?! What are you getting mad for?'

eu logic

UE draft guidelines, article nº 22:

22. After the United Kingdom leaves the Union, no agreement between the EU and the United Kingdom may apply to the territory of Gibraltar without the agreement between the Kingdom of Spain and the United Kingdom.

I don´t see the EU questioning the UK's sovereignity over Gibraltar.

Don´t try to find any logic or true facts on UK's tabloids, you won`t find any.

TCRS

Banned
The EU has not made any demands regarding the sovereignity of Gibraltar.

the EU is supporting a country that is questioning the sovereignty instead of telling Spain to shut up already. but apparently that's okay since spain is still an EU country and the UK is on it's way out..

PJV3

UE draft guidelines, article nº 22:

I don´t see the EU questioning the UK's sovereignity over Gibraltar.

Don´t try to find any logic or true facts on UK's tabloids, you won`t find any.

The whole of the commonwealth better get automatically accepted with the UK or we will nuke Brussels.

Don't you know who we are.

Joni

the EU is supporting a country that is questioning the sovereignty instead of telling Spain to shut up already. but apparently that's okay since spain is still an EU country and the UK is on it's way out..
Shouldnt leave if you want the support of the EU. EU is simply standing up for its members.

What?

You're upset that the EU is supporting a member instead of the one who is leaving? What?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

I thought you guys don't want EU to tell a member country what to do.

Pancake Mix

Copied someone else's pancake recipe

TCRS

Banned
Shouldnt leave if you want the support of the EU. EU is simply standing up for its members.

What?

You're upset that the EU is supporting a member instead of the one who is leaving? What?

stop being obtuse. We have every right to be upset at the EU supporting a country that is questioning the sovereignity of one of our territories. the argumentation being put forward here is that's it's natural for the EU to support member states who question the sovereignity of others against the will of the local poluation. instead of, you know, respecting the will of the population and the democratically elected government.

but then what else can you expect from the EU. just shows what a shitty organisation it is.

Joni

stop being obtuse. We have every right to be upset at the EU supporting a country that is questioning the sovereignity of one of our territories. the argumentation being put forward here is that's it's natural for the EU to support member sattes who question the sovereignity of others against the will of the local poluation. instead of, you know, respec tthe will of the population.

but then what else can you expect from the EU. just shows what a shitty organisation it is.
What was the will of the local population on leaving the EU?

Pancake Mix

What was the will of the local population on leaving the EU?

Pretty sure they'll stick with Britain.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar_sovereignty_referendum,_1967

Gibraltar_referendum_Nov_1967.jpg
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gibraltar_sovereignty_referendum,_2002

God everytime I think about people like that I get so worked up.
I worked fucking hard to get where I am, and if these lazy c**ts have jeopardised mine or my wife's careers then this country can go fuck itself. I'm out. Get your tax money somewhere else.

Sorry, rant over.

Those people will never care about you or how hard you've worked, they've lost all sense and anyone who isn't like them or from where they are is the enemy, an elite, someone who can't be trusted and is working to keep them down and ruin the country.

It's infuriating, but to my point, you should leave. There's no point in sticking around and trying to help the country 'muck through'. Leave and find a better life before you're stuck here, because free movement and your right to settle easily in the EU will be gone soon.

I'm curious, what exactly did Spain say regarding Gibraltar sovereignty?

stop being obtuse. We have every right to be upset at the EU supporting a country that is questioning the sovereignity of one of our territories. the argumentation being put forward here is that's it's natural for the EU to support member states who question the sovereignity of others against the will of the local poluation. instead of, you know, respecting the will of the population and the democratically elected government.

Haters gonna hate.gif

Because Britain is completely innocent in the Gibraltar debate and never made claims on any territorial waters that they had no right to, right? /s

If you honestly think that Gibraltar will be annexed or some shit, you're deluded. The EU knows that there are problems between Britain and Spain about it, hence they made it so Gibraltar can have a separate deal and Spain won't block the whole trade deal. They're doing Britain a favour.

Again, Britain didn't even mention Gibraltar in their letter to the EU, while the EU did. One of those two seems to care more about handling obvious problems well.

This is embarrassing. You're just regurgitating arguments that are playing out on pro leave twitter pages instead of thinking rationally and looking at what's actually been said.

suedester

Banned
I'm curious, what exactly did Spain say regarding Gibraltar sovereignty.

Sovereignty

synonyms: jurisdiction, supremacy, dominion, power, ascendancy, suzerainty, tyranny, hegemony, domination, sway, predominance, authority, control, influence, rule

I'd say the point of the EU draft negotiation's is for Spain to have a few of these over Gibraltans.

Pancake Mix

Because Britain is completely innocent in the Gibraltar debate and never made claims on any territorial waters that they had no right to, right? /s

If you honestly think that Gibraltar will be annexed or some shit, you're deluded. The EU knows that there are problems between Britain and Spain about it, hence they made it so Gibraltar can have a separate deal and Spain won't block the whole trade deal. They're doing Britain a favour.

You're confused. Spain does NOT want Gibraltar to get a differentiated deal unless there's a sacrifice (of guess what) and the EU is backing them up. The UK has consistently said they will not enter into negotiations on Gibraltar's future without the consent of Gibraltarians, who have twice voted by ~99 percent to remain British nationals or citizens and retain full self-government.

The EU is doing the UK no favours right now. You are really confused right now.

After lobbying from Spanish diplomats, the EU's opening negotiating position for the Brexit talks presents the British government with the choice of reaching agreement with the Spaniards about Gibraltar's future or exposing its citizens to economic peril by pushing ”the rock" outside any EU-UK trade deal.

”The union will stick up for its members and that means Spain now," a senior EU official said.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/31/future-of-gibraltar-at-stake-in-brexit-negotiations

PJV3

Sovereignty

synonyms: jurisdiction, supremacy, dominion, power, ascendancy, suzerainty, tyranny, hegemony, domination, sway, predominance, authority, control, influence, rule

I'd say the point of the EU draft negotiation's is for Spain to have a few of these over Gibraltans.

It has always been so that you need the members of the union to accept who gets access. It's just how it is.

Sovereignty

Is that backed up by anything that Spain or the EU actually said?

tuxfool

Banned
Sovereignty

If the UK gave a shit about Gibraltar, then they wouldn't leave. Or at least would have a public position on what they want for Gibraltar.

They have said jack shit other than overreact angrily over nonsense.

Pancake Mix

If the UK gave a shit about Gibraltar, then they wouldn't leave. Or at least would have a public position on what they want for Gibraltar.

They have said jack shit other than overreact angrily over nonsense.

Nonsense.

After lobbying from Spanish diplomats, the EU's opening negotiating position for the Brexit talks presents the British government with the choice of reaching agreement with the Spaniards about Gibraltar's future or exposing its citizens to economic peril by pushing ”the rock" outside any EU-UK trade deal.

”The union will stick up for its members and that means Spain now," a senior EU official said

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2017/mar/31/future-of-gibraltar-at-stake-in-brexit-negotiations

This is what started this whole mess. If you know anything about Gibraltar you know what "agreement with the Spaniards about Gibraltar's future" is...

Also, "if the UK gave a shit about -insert blank-" give me a break. It's ~32,000 people who don't get to chart the course of ~65 million, even if that course is foolish.

Is that backed up by anything that Spain or the EU actually said?

Yes. Granted, it might be slightly subtle, hence why so many of you are confused.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Repeat after me:

The EU has not made any comments regarding the sovereignty of Gibraltar.
Spain has not made any comments regarding the sovereignty of Gibraltar since the declaration and the current Minister of Foreign Affairs would prefer a different tone.
Gibraltar's peculiar status means that it needs to be addressed separately. It also means that Spain is extremely unlikely to torpedo a deal with rUK.
Theresa May of all people has said that the whole situation is being hugely exaggerated.

Maybe things are getting out of hand when May of all people tells the tabloids to chill.

Of course not, but it's certainly implied otherwise why would it need a separate agreement with the Spanish government?

I see. So nothing.

The whole Spain has an extra say to me seems just to appease Spain a bit. Spain, just like very other EU country can veto any deal with the UK anyway.

tuxfool

Banned
Spain has not made any comments regarding the sovereignty of Gibraltar since the declaration and the current Minister of Foreign Affairs would prefer a different tone.
Gibraltar's peculiar status means that it needs to be addressed separately. It also means that Spain is extremely unlikely to torpedo a deal with rUK.
Theresa May of all people has said that the whole situation is being hugely exaggerated.

PJV3

Of course not, but it's certainly implied otherwise why would it need a separate agreement with the Spanish government?

Perhaps they want the Gibraltan access not to be based on UK relations but on condition of Spanish agreement.

It's kind of petty but patriotic people get off on that kind of stuff.

kmag

I see. So nothing.

The whole Spain has an extra say to me seems just to appease Spain a bit. Spain, just like very other EU country can veto any deal with the UK anyway.

They've given them this 'extra' veto precisely so they don't feel they have to torpedo the full deal over issues over Gibraltar.

Regardless of the rights and wrongs of Spain's position over the sovereignty of Gibraltar, one of the Spain's biggest bugbears has been the continued smuggling of tobacco and liqueur from the tax haven on it's border. They'll want that sorted.

btw it's not the EU or Spain's fault that the economy of Gibraltar is not viable without Single Market access and land access via Spain.

CTLance

Things have certainly gotten off to a fantastic start...
So far, nothing has happened that the average Remainer couldn't have told you before the vote. This is not a fantastic start, it is the expected start.

Granted, nobody expected UK to be quite as delusional or diplomatically inept. However, at best that only sped things up a bit.

TCRS

Banned
Repeat after me:

Maybe things are getting out of hand when May of all people tells the tabloids to chill.

Repeat after me:

Spain has time and again questioned the sovereignity of Gibraltar.
The EU is supporting a member state as a matter of course in an issue regarding the sovereignity of Gibraltar instead of telling spain that it has no right on Gibraltar, that the people of Gibraltar don't want it and that they should back off.

This is embarrassing. You're just regurgitating arguments that are playing out on pro leave twitter pages instead of thinking rationally and looking at what's actually been said.

'people are saying the same thing on twitter, so you are wrong!'

and I'm the embarassing one.

kmag

Repeat after me:

The EU is supporting a member state as a matter of course in an issue regarding the sovereignity of Gibraltar instead of telling spain that it has no right on Gibraltar, that the people of Gibraltar don't want it and that they should back off.

And? The UK has a fucking terrible history when it comes to respecting sovereignty. It wasn't that long ago we handed back Hong Kong despite the wishes of the locals (and no we didn't need to hand back Hong Kong just the new territories)

And Diego Garcia remains a national disgrace, not a lot of respecting the will of the people there.

Spain gave up leverage in regards to Gibraltar to enter the EEC in 86, they're taking it back now. If they want to use their power within the EU to limit the economic viability of the tax haven on their doorstep then that's up to them. Might not be particular nice, but international relations typically aren't. We had the power to prevent that for 30 odd years, we decided to give it up 'despite' the wishes of the Gibraltarians who saw it all coming. It's not Spain or the EU's fault that Gibraltar is only viable with Single market access and a open land border with Spain, it might be different if we could turn back the clock and still have a massive Royal Navy for the Gibraltarians to service while they live in poverty and squalor but we can't and times have moved on.

Funny enough this sort of nonsense between European powers is precisely one of the things the EU was designed to prevent.

You're confused. Spain does NOT want Gibraltar to get a differentiated deal unless there's a sacrifice (of guess what) and the EU is backing them up. The UK has consistently said they will not enter into negotiations on Gibraltar's future without the consent of Gibraltarians, who have twice voted by ~99 percent to remain British nationals or citizens and retain full self-government.

The EU is doing the UK no favours right now. You are really confused right now.

As other people in this thread already said, there has been no comments from Spain or the EU regarding Gibraltars sovereignty. Spain didn't call for any sacrifice. Neither did the EU.

The EU lowered the possibility of Spain to block the whole deal because of Gibraltar by separating it from the rest of the deal.

That's quite a favor for a country in a negotiating position as bad as the UK. Especially considering the consequences the UK would face if they wouldn't get a deal.

Vagabundo

Isn't Gibraltar a completely autonomous overseas territory? Why should it get the same deal as the UK? They have their own flag and everything!!

So Spain will have lots of fun making those negotiations a PITA for the UK. Welcome to the new reality Brexiteers.

joanot

Repeat after me:

Spain has never questioned the sovereignity of Gibraltar.

The issues Spain has with Gibraltar are:

- Territorial waters, as Gib isn´t entlited to them by the Utrech treaty.
- The Isthmus land grabbing by the UK, again, see the Utrech treaty.
- Gib being a tax haven and the money laundering and smuggling of cigarettes, alcohol... into Spain.

They all sound very reasonable to me.

Xando

So much nonsense about fucking Gibraltar. I wonder how things will escalate when the negotiations actually start.

People need to calm the fuck down

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Spain has never questioned the sovereignity of Gibraltar.

The issues Spain has with Gibraltar are:

- Territorial waters, as Gib isn´t entlited to them by the Utrech treaty.
- The Isthmus land grabbing by the UK, again, see the Utrech treaty.
- Gib being a tax haven and the money laundering and smuggling of cigarettes, alcohol... into Spain.

They all sound very reasonable to me.
In all fairness Margallo called for joint sovereignty, but Margallo is no longer the Minister of Foreign Affairs and his successor has revamped the whole office.

This is patriotic chest bumping and nothing else. Let's leave the nationalistic hysteria for the time Spain actually demands joint sovereignty in exchange for access to the rUK deal if it comes to that.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Spain has demanded joint sovereignty in the past.

Spain is not doing it right now nor implying it as a condition for anything.

And even if it did, the talk about sending the gunboats over words about some kind of legal agreement to be discussed with the UK is mental and speaks lower of the people bringing it as a valid point than it does about any kind of dickery ever pulled by Spain over the rock.

Just chill. Nothing is happening.

PJV3

So much nonsense about fucking Gibraltar. I wonder how things will escalate when the negotiations actually start.

People need to calm the fuck down

It's not been that bad really, there is nothing the UK can do about it anyway except walk away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom