• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves |OT2|

Irish

Wowbagger said:

Beautiful video.

The MP team seems way too arrogant. "Don't question us. We know best." I can't believe what they've done to the game since launch.

If the MP in UC3 continues along the path they've started with the patches post 1.04, I'd rather they not bother.

*sob sob sob*

I've been gone from PSN for way too long. Who's ready to play sometime soon?

Irish said:
Playing right now! :) probably till double cash ends.
Can't believe I forgot about double cash weekend! I have yet to achieve the rank of Fatty Drake.:mad:

deepbrown

Irish said:
Beautiful video.

The MP team seems way too arrogant. "Don't question us. We know best." I can't believe what they've done to the game since launch.

If the MP in UC3 continues along the path they've started with the patches post 1.04, I'd rather they not bother.

*sob sob sob*

Well they shouldn't be arrogant considering what they've said:

There’s been quite a few patches, with complaints following update 1.05. How important is community feedback to the content of your patches?

Community feedback is an essential piece of the feedback loop that helps us update and move our online modes forwards. Their comments – be it praise or criticism – fit right into our established collaborative development environment. Our philosophy to our online mode in UNCHARTED 2 is to treat it as a long-term service to our consumers and our community, which means it’s absolutely critical to listen to them.

You’ve tried to answer angry fans with following patches, but many still feel the game was more fun at 1.04. Might you change it back to how it was, or is the new reduced health here to stay?

We feel the current way our multiplayer modes play creates a satisfying experience for our players, so we’re not considering a wholesale rollback to a previous patch at the moment. That doesn’t mean we’re standing still either, we’re still supporting our multiplayer modes through updates and fresh content.

http://www.playstationuniversity.com/naughty-dog-talks-with-playstation-university-part-1-4234/2/

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I feel like such a downer. But I just watched that "Among Spawns" video and if I hadn't played the beta and around launch I would think this game in multiplayer was always a piece of shit.

Spawning in direct line of sight at the nearest spawn point? How ridiculous. It's just completely unfathomable how anyone could think this was a good idea.

What annoys me more is the general idea of: "Hey people like our game at patch 1.0, let's fuck with the balance" BF:BC2 as well. Hey let's increase the amount of bullets you need to hit to kill a person. Let's not do that at launch or from beta to retail. Let's do that 2.5 months after the game is out. Yup.

And I can't be the only one thinking that the ludicrous amount of skins has backfired on them from a gameplay point. Sure, they probably made easy money.

Because I'm not actively following these threads I might be repeating what others have said, but fuck. There is a reason TF2 uses red vs blue. It's so your opponents are identifiable.

In the beta it was 6 dudes wearing black on the bad side and the colorful people on the other.
Heist Drake was the only exception to this rule, so that was not ideal, but one could live with it. But now the evil side is having a big casual friday and they look like they just got home from the bar.

And then the stupid skeletons that look almost identical on both teams except one wears a grey helmet and the other a red hat. Wow.

This game is the epitome of game of the year .Great in 2009. Utter shit in 2010.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
So what booster combination do you guys recommend? I use DTI/ Fleet Foot for deathmatch and DTI/Deposit for plunder.

I really like the double cash weekend thing, it feels really satisfying getting a $120,000 shut out in plunder.

Yeef

A Pretty Panda said:
So what booster combination do you guys recommend? I use DTI/ Fleet Foot for deathmatch and DTI/Deposit for plunder.

I really like the double cash weekend thing, it feels really satisfying getting a $120,000 shut out in plunder.
Ruh-oh!

Kittonwy

Banned
GGs guyz, lol Breach u rage quitter.
Indifferent2.gif

Kittonwy

Banned
A Pretty Panda said:

I recommend situational awareness/fleet foot.
Indifferent2.gif

You’ve tried to answer angry fans with following patches, but many still feel the game was more fun at 1.04. Might you change it back to how it was, or is the new reduced health here to stay?

We feel the current way our multiplayer modes play creates a satisfying experience for our players, so we’re not considering a wholesale rollback to a previous patch at the moment. That doesn’t mean we’re standing still either, we’re still supporting our multiplayer modes through updates and fresh content.

Boooooooooo. And the game was without a doubt more fun and balanced before that infamous god awful patch. They're just being stubborn.

Draft

Who is the mouth breather at Naughty Dog who insists on ending every Uncharted game with a bunch of Goddamn monsters?

I just spent 10 minutes getting my shit pushed in by some toilet bowl blue Zulus. Just keep shooting!, Drake says. Not helping.

Captain N

I haven't played this game in months and decided to go back play it again. Last night I ended up playing all night and into this morning around 5 in the A.M. . Of course it was on a new PS3 and i spent a good hour or so just downloading the updates and new maps.

Darkatomz

Wowbagger said:
Well hell, those spawns are nothing. I usually run into a situation myself at least once a game. Shit is annoying as fuck. It's way more prevalent than it used to be, probably the worst it's ever been.

Btw, the tank killing Lazarovich twice was hilarious :lol

Draft said:
Who is the mouth breather at Naughty Dog who insists on ending every Uncharted game with a bunch of Goddamn monsters?

I just spent 10 minutes getting my shit pushed in by some toilet bowl blue Zulus. Just keep shooting!, Drake says. Not helping.
Blame 30s adventure serials.

Animal

Banned
Draft said:

I got a bit angry for this the first time I played both games. Now I've accepted it as part of the experience.

Draft

Animal said:
I got a bit angry for this the first time I played both games. Now I've accepted it as part of the experience.
A shitty part. The last boss isn't much fun either.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Draft said:
A shitty part. The last boss isn't much fun either.

I thought the last boss for the first game was really fun and exciting but for the second game it was the low-point of the game. A really tedious run shooting blue berries.

jett

D-Member
Final boss of U2 was -this- close to souring the entire experience for me, much like that piece of shit boss of KZ2. Garbage game design in the endgame of both titles.

Both Uncharted games are good examples of "the chase is better than the catch" to me. I am not fond of the supernatural twists in these two games, and found both final battles less exciting and climactic than the high points of the campaigns. I can overlook that because of the unforgettable overall experience.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Draft said:

Blame the source material really, including Indy. These kinds of stories need some sort of supernatural aspect to them. The way I see it, the whole point of them is the child-like wonder that this world still keeps some secrets locked away from us.

You are probably at a place where you first fight them? It's the most difficult encounter with them you'll have. Try getting one of their dropped crossbows, that puts them down easily. While you have regular weapons run a lot and shoot while running, roll when they get close to you, use grenades as soon as the fight begins if you can. It's not really that hard, they just require completely different approach than any enemy before them.

*edit* ah, OK, you finished it. I liked end boss fight, the scene was set up so you could run around as much as you wanted, and had plenty of opportunity to shoot where you needed to. It was fairly easy on normal difficulty too. The crumbling, collapsing stuff near the end of that fight, and after it was outstanding btw.

I would prefer that the boss fight(s) are more puzzle based though, and that you cannot die as easily until you figure out what needs to be done. I have just finished PixelJunk Shooter and the bosses in that game, especially the last one, are a good example how to do boss fights right, so that they are not too hard and just require some good eye and figuring some stuff out.
Nothing new though, puzzle aspect of Uncharted games is their weakest aspect. They did it better in the second game at least than it was in the first, I hope they keep improving there.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Might have to get back in this game.... was waiting for some new maps or something for a reason to do so.

edit: I'd quite nearly kill for an Uncharted 3!

Well, i completed this game 1 week ago.
Before that the only boxed games i had were GOWIII /MS: PR and i just finished Heavy rain yesterday.
- I wish i would have more types of weapons and the ability to keep at least 4 weapons
- The enemies also were not varied enough imho. I should have fought against some animals (snakes,...).
+ i felt connected to Drake
+ Technically brilliant (but for some reasons, and as a coder, i was more impressed by GOWIII)
+ Excellent pacing
+ Lots of setttings

Overall A+

My ranking up to now (boxed only):
Heavy rain > MS:pR > GOWIII > Uncharted 2

Now playing FFXIII ...
Next RDR, R&C : aCiT, SSFIV, MGS4.

Draft

Lord Error said:
Blame the source material really, including Indy. These kinds of stories need some sort of supernatural aspect to them. The way I see it, the whole point of them is the child-like wonder that this world still keeps some secrets locked away from us.
I don't really think it's fair to blame Steven Spielberg because some twat at ND thinks bullet sponge monkeys liven up the endgame of Uncharted titles.

I feel like vomiting because of how much shit this game turned into. Like... where the fuck did all this lag come from? It wasn't there early on. It wasn't there two months ago. What the fuck?

I spent a good chunk of time playing this and swearing my ass off with all the bullshit I was going through. Shot through walls or watching people not die when a grenade is right at their feet are the biggest offenders. Yet I'll die when I've clearly rolled away from the firecracker grenades and still die.

Don't even get me started about reaching up to grab a bitch only to grab at the air so I drop down to avoid a counterattack only to be WARPED BACK UP like a motherfucker.

ND, you really screwed your own damn game. Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, spawns? Yeah... I spawned at the exact same time as 3 enemies directly across from me in the fort so I threw a grenade and only got 1 of them. Yeah, ok.

Wowbagger

Holy shit... Kotaku updated the article:

UPDATE: A Sony spokesperson says: "Now that Emily is just back from filming Haven she will be working with [Uncharted development studio] Naughty Dog on some DLC content." So much for the Uncharted 3 theory.

Could we actually be getting a new co-op mission?

Wowbagger said:

:O :O :O

So bought, so very bought. If we could pre-order DLC, I so would do that now. Gosh, that is just what Uncharted 2 needs, more DLC. :D I would want some more co-op missions, some more maps for all the modes, and of course more trophies.

Also, I enjoyed the double cash weekend this weekend, despite the fact that my internet went on the fritz on Saturday. Currently, I have 73 million, which is very close to the 77 million mark needed to level up from level X.

arne

Draft said:
I don't really think it's fair to blame Steven Spielberg because some twat at ND thinks bullet sponge monkeys liven up the endgame of Uncharted titles.

We love you too. I'm sure Amy does too, particularly for those kind words...

The mystical, sci-fi-ish portions are part of the broader genre the Uncharted games are part of. It's about creating a larger than life forces that you/Drake have to contend against.

There is, I believe, also this whole thing about how do you create a large, challenging showdown with "normal people?" Then you just run into waves and waves against enemies to ratchet up the difficulty, because you can't make them so lethal it feels cheap to the player. Or you start finding ways to make the enemies tougher -- so thankfully since our genre already has this tradition of the mystical, that is something we were able to consider to adding to our gameplay.

I tried to play online for the first time yesterday and it stuck at the connecting screen. Are there DNS issues or anything else that might need to be taken care of to get a better connection?

I just need those two trophies and I'll get my platinum.

Draft

arne said:
We love you too. I'm sure Amy does too, particularly for those kind words...

The mystical, sci-fi-ish portions are part of the broader genre the Uncharted games are part of. It's about creating a larger than life forces that you/Drake have to contend against.

There is, I believe, also this whole thing about how do you create a large, challenging showdown with "normal people?" Then you just run into waves and waves against enemies to ratchet up the difficulty, because you can't make them so lethal it feels cheap to the player. Or you start finding ways to make the enemies tougher -- so thankfully since our genre already has this tradition of the mystical, that is something we were able to consider to adding to our gameplay.
Why does mystical have to mean bullet sponge with gigaton punch attack? Isn't being able to climb walls and leap 30 feet enough to differentiate them from the normal soldiers? When 90% of the time the player is rewarded for moving cautiously through cover it's pretty fucking lame to introduce a bunch of melee centric douchebags that take 5x the number of bullets to kill.

I don't buy this "it's the genre" excuse one bit. Mystical stuff is fine, crap enemies aren't.

What's really annoying is that it seemed like ND took to heart one of the criticisms from UC1, which was it shouldn't take 10 bullets to the trunk to kill some pirate in a dirty yellow t-shirt.

Any Lord Error was right, it's really only that first fight that's truly terrible, but it's so terrible that I needed to post about it.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
I absolute despise anything mystical in any form of media, but the monkeys in Uncharted 2 were exciting from a gameplay perspective. They were jumping from building to building and they were completely unknown entities when they were introduced. This would have not been the case for additional humans that might have looked differently. And there is only so far you can go with technology before it becomes ridiculous.

If they weren't monkeys I'm sure people would say the same thing about Shambalah. ("Yeah right, it's not like we have Google Earth now, this wouldn't have gone unnoticed.")

Yeef

Wowbagger said:
I'm guessing whatever it is it'll be released on or near the anniversary of the game's launch. Hopefully it's more than just skins. New co-op objective stuff or even a sub-campaign sort of thing would be cool.

bandresen said:
If they weren't monkeys I'm sure people would say the same thing about Shambalah. ("Yeah right, it's not like we have Google Earth now, this wouldn't have gone unnoticed.")
Maybe Dick Cheyney lives there? Did you ever stop to consider that?

Top Bottom