• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 direct feed screens

Dyno

Can't wait for this game, just one minor concern.

capture7kb9.jpg

Look to those jeans, those little back pockets. They are both namby and pamby. SOME men might wear those jeans - and of course I must conceed they are still men but only on the biological level - anyway, some men might but not Nathan Drake.

Never!

Dyno said:
Can't wait for this game, just one minor concern.
Look to those jeans, those little back pockets. They are both namby and pamby. SOME men might wear those jeans - and of course I must conceed they are still men but only on the biological level - anyway, some men might but not Nathan Drake.

Never!
:lol

I have a pair of jeans with pockets like that. But then again, I'm Drake. Don't tell anyone.

Dyno

2 Minutes Turkish said:
:lol

I have a pair of jeans with pockets like that. But then again, I'm Drake. Don't tell anyone.

This very instant there is 'product' in your hair, isn't there? ISN'T THERE!?!

And I bet your chest is as smooth as the ass of ten year old choir boy after mass.

You effete metros cause bile to form in the back of my throat! DO YOU HEAR ME? BILE!!!

Dyno said:
This very instant there is 'product' in your hair, isn't there? ISN'T THERE!?!

And I bet your chest is as smooth as the ass of ten year old choir boy after mass.

You effete metros cause bile to form in the back of my throat! DO YOU HEAR ME? BILE!!!

It's funny you say that, I shave my head, and my chest is a shitload harier than it was when I was younger (I'm 28).

Although I will lay claim to the fact that I was the original metrosexual, at least in Australia anyway. Was cleansing, getting facials and chemical peels long before any salons provided the service for men.

Wow, love the concept art. Beautiful. I hope that Uncharted 2 isn't too city-centric though, we have enough urban games with guns already thanks!

DeZimatoR

Banned
I can't believe people are talking about Drake's ass again. :lol

Anyway, I really hope they shown a gameplay trailer at GDC and release it to the public, but I kinda doubt it...

Don't highlight unless you have BEATEN Resistance 2. >_<

Since Nathan Hale
died at the end of Resistance 2, will the same happen to Nathan Drake at the end of Uncharted 2?

I don't seriously think this will happen, lol.

Catalix

And on the sixth day the LORD David Bowie created man and woman in His image. And he saw that it was good. On the seventh day the LORD created videogames so that He might take the bloody day off for once.

Dyno

Timbuktu said:
Stop staring at his ass.

I can and will stare at his ass, secure with my own musky masculinity to say nothing of the iron-clad heterosexuality at its molten core.

I've stared at Drakes ass for coming on 20 hours now, having played the game twice thus far.

We must stare at his ass, or at least his backside, that is the nature of a 3rd person game.

By the time I finished MSG4 I could count every scintelating pixel in Old Snakes cyborg baboon-like deriere.

The ass, and the jeans that cover them must be correct, they must be authentic, they must be satisfying, they must be... IMMERSIVE!

mr jones

Ethnicity is not a race!
Dyno said:
I can and will stare at his ass, secure with my own musky masculinity to say nothing of the iron-clad heterosexuality at its molten core.

I've stared at Drakes ass for coming on 20 hours now, having played the game twice thus far.

We must stare at his ass, or at least his backside, that is the nature of a 3rd person game.

By the time I finished MSG4 I could count every scintelating pixel in Old Snakes cyborg baboon-like deriere.

The ass, and the jeans that cover them must be correct, they must be authentic, they must be satisfying, they must be... IMMERSIVE!

God GAF is a weird place sometimes...

WinFonda

Dyno said:

eas4fn.gif

Mifune

Mehmber
makingmusic476 said:
Since Nathan Hale
died
at the end of Resistance 2, will the same happen to Nathan Drake at the end of Uncharted 2?

I will be sad. ;_;

If that's a real R2 spoiler, you're a jackass.

Goldrusher

makingmusic476 said:
Since Nathan Hale died at the end of
Resistance 2
, will the same happen to Nathan Drake at the end of Uncharted 2?

I will be sad. ;_;

Learn to (not) spoil.

makingmusic476 said:
Since Nathan Hale
died at the end of Resistance 2, will the same happen to Nathan Drake at the end of Uncharted 2?

Honestly, I thought the same and got scared too.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Good thing I don't really care about Resistance story, because I spoiled myself there as well. It's funny because he did spoilertag it and all, it's just that I assumed it's going to be some joke there.

J-Rzez

makingmusic476 said:
Since Nathan Hale

It damn well better not. Nathan Drake is my favorite new "hero" of this gen. Actually, he's up there with my most favorite of all time.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Reading the A.I. thingy, it looks like someone got MGS in my Uncharted 2 >_<

But I hope that this adds to gameplay, and I believe it will. :)

And looking at Drake's ass, it does look like there's no ass there. The screen on this page is actually my background, and when I do look at his ass while the computer is starting up, it looks like really weird. x_x. I hope his ass gets fixed. But it'll never be anything near Solid Snake's ass. =)

Fusebox

Banned
Dyno said:

Not true, us adventurers require pants where every pocket buttons up - who knows when we'll be upside-down next?

Said Straley: "If they are to hunt for Drake they'll need the ability to climb on the environment, jump across gaps, and drop down from ledges to get to him. The benefit to this was our combat wasn't limited to flat terrain anymore."

Does this mean diving flying elbows from above?

Many reviews said that the original was a mix of tried-and-tested influences. Did you intend to play it safe with Drake's debut?

Bruce Straley: Our goal from the beginning of Uncharted was to capitalize on what we call the "comfort food" of the action-adventure movie genre and translate that into a satisfying, fun gameplay experience for the player.

By "comfort food" I mean those elements from the movies that people have grown up loving and associate so closely with the genre. If you were to make a sci-fi game or horror game, there are certain hallmarks that make up those genres that the developer would need to at least tip their hats to.

Basically we set out to use the action-adventure genre as our palette and paint a really good story, create compelling characters, and place them in exciting predicaments, just like our favorite action-adventure movies do.

Delivering that experience is something I think we've excelled at. I don't look at delivering a fun game as being safe or unsafe, but as accomplishing a very difficult goal that any game developer would be proud of had they made Uncharted!

A player's experience throughout the game is the key in crafting a satisfying experience. "How does the player feel when playing our game?", and "Do they finish it?", are an example of the big questions for us. We've found that an overwhelming amount of players have completed Uncharted: Drake's Fortune. That tells us a lot about how successful we were to hook players into our game story and mechanics once they got the controller in their hands.

You've spoken about the first game having only used 30% of the PS3s power, and the sequel using closer to 100%. What direct benefits will the gamer get from the increased performance - will they be instantly noticeable?

Straley: Yes. No doubt. We're definitely utilizing more power from the PS3 this time around and it will certainly be noticeable in a variety of ways.

With Uncharted 2, the Naughty Dog Engine 2.0 enables us to display more polygons on screen than ever before, which allows us to battle an even greater number of enemies and to create environments with an unprecedented level of detail. The lighting and shadowing systems in the engine have been overhauled, giving our artists the ability to create an even more immersive experience.

The rendering of our skies has been overhauled to include some more realistic light effects as well as a procedural layer to our cloud system, all the while retaining our artist-driven style. The AI has also been enhanced so that our enemies navigate the environments more realistically, react to the world around them, and behave in even more believable ways. We're pushing the snow rendering like we did with water from the first game.

If we do snow, we feel that it's got to be the best snow you've seen! We're also taking on fur and cloth this time. The list goes on and on. Anything we can improve upon, we do, all with the idea of giving the player a more immersive experience.

Basically, we've maximized the power available to us in the console and our updated engine by writing optimized code for the SPU processors and parceling out jobs to the SPUs in an efficient manner.

The PS3 is an extremely powerful piece of hardware as shown by what we were able to accomplish in Uncharted: Drake's Fortune, but we're always pushing the technology here at Naughty Dog. The programmers have been hard at work optimizing and adding new features to our game engine from the moment we shipped Uncharted.

In the Naughty Dog tradition, we're striving to push the hardware to its absolute limits.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=205920

Lince

Banned
The lighting and shadowing systems in the engine have been overhauled, giving our artists the ability to create an even more immersive experience.

The rendering of our skies has been overhauled to include some more realistic light effects as well as a procedural layer to our cloud system, all the while retaining our artist-driven style. The AI has also been enhanced so that our enemies navigate the environments more realistically, react to the world around them, and behave in even more believable ways

what? I? when? she? Mother Theresa? how? I mean, those were already perfect in Uncharted, and they're bigger and better now? *faints*

aku08

DMeisterJ said:
Reading the A.I. thingy, it looks like someone got MGS in my Uncharted 2 >_<

But I hope that this adds to gameplay, and I believe it will. :)

And looking at Drake's ass, it does look like there's no ass there. The screen on this page is actually my background, and when I do look at his ass while the computer is starting up, it looks like really weird. x_x. I hope his ass gets fixed. But it'll never be anything near Solid Snake's ass. =)

even snake's ass had muscles. those were impressive.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Looking into holiday season '09, I think I can safely say that this is my most anticipated game.

Uncharted: DF was outstanding.

Gantz

Banned
Bull shots look good but I'll hold judgement until we get some gameplay videos. Not too wild about the muddy textures though.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Muddy textures... seriously, where? I thought I was maybe crazy for thinking these screens showed some of the best texturing I've ever seen, so I've looked over them again, and nope, I don't think I'm crazy yet. There's not a single low res texture there that I can spot, the only things that look blurry are the areas affected by DOF and other post processing effects.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Lord Error said:
Muddy textures... seriously, where? I thought I was maybe crazy for thinking these screens showed some of the best texturing I've ever seen, so I've looked over them again, and nope, I don't think I'm crazy yet. There's not a single low res texture there that I can spot, the only things that look blurry are the areas affected by DOF and other post processing effects.
relax man. :)

You have been previously quoted as saying you want Uncharted 2 to be "true interactive storytelling". Have you been at all influenced by games like MGS4, which, in particular, has almost unrivaled commitment to storytelling?

Straley: Wow, I said that?! If I used the word "true" in that statement, that would imply that other forms of interactive storytelling were somehow "false", and I don't think that's the case. I love playing games and the beauty of this medium is that there are so many different games to be made.

Telling a story inside of a game is based on what that game requires, there is no real right way or wrong way, just different. Now that being said, what we're trying to do with the Uncharted franchise is really capture that movie feeling by implementing all of the aforementioned features and by trying to implement them in a way that really makes the player feel like they are truly playing one of their favourite action-adventure movies.

Every game is going to have their own agenda or "take" on interactive storytelling, reflective of the individuality of the person or persons responsible for creating that game.

At Naughty Dog we feel there are certain merits to be found in cutscenes - a certain level on intimacy with a character is only obtained be getting to see their detailed expressions.

The subtext of a statement is sometimes only told, or at least embellished upon, through facial expression. Taking away control for the sake of getting a really emotional take on someone, or cutting on something that needs to be seen by the player to help the narrative along is very important in storytelling.

I applaud everyone in this industry trying their different approaches to interactive storytelling - this is just how we're collectively trying to push the medium. It's a fun and very difficult challenge and I don't think there is one answer to how it's to be achieved.

Have you ever considered multiplayer gaming of any kind for the sequel? Co-op maybe?

Straley: We've seen a lot of debate in the community - on various blogs and forums - about whether or not we should implement multiplayer or co-op in the Uncharted franchise. There are some very compelling points that are being discussed both in favour of and against adding these gameplay extensions to our game.

Our heritage at Naughty Dog means we are open to exploring just about any possibility to change, improve or enhance our games, but only if we feel it makes sense to what we're trying to accomplish with Uncharted and can achieve the level of quality we are known for.

For now, our main focus is on Nathan Drake as the central character - we want to be able to concentrate the story on his personal journey.

I wish this was a video interview just so I could've seen the look on Straley's face when he was asked the following question

Can we expect Uncharted to always remain a Sony exclusive?

Straley: The Uncharted franchise is absolutely a PlayStation platform franchise. We have enjoyed a long, fruitful relationship with Sony Computer Entertainment, not to mention that we're a wholly owned subsidiary!

Beyond that one, minor technicality, it's important to remember that Naughty Dog has excelled at focusing on one platform and therefore maximizing the potential of that platform.

We've already discussed just how much we're able to achieve with the PS3 just 3 years into the console lifetime and there's always room to keep pushing ourselves and the console. Focusing on one platform has garnered incredible success for us and there's no reason we can dream of to even consider anything else.

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=206081

kevm3

Sometimes it's like these magazines are being paid by Microsoft or something. Every time a PS3 exclusive comes up, they ask about a 360 port. What kind of dumb question is that to ask a Naughty Dog employee, when Naughty Dog and the Uncharted property is owned by Sony?

alba

Little is the new Big
I really can't wait to have this game in my ps3, controller in hands and just play it... I can't wait to see the leap from the first one i'm sure it will be AFW!

Kittonwy

Banned
I wish some journos would just let developers talk about their games instead of dragging them into their own system wars bullshit all the time, especially when it comes to wholly owned subsidiaries of a platform holder, and with an IP as fantastic as UNCHARTED!!!111!!!
angry.gif
, talk about the features, the story, the immersive experience, the AI, the level designs, there are so much people who are genuinely interested in the game would like to know, there's absolutely no need to resort to that kind of disingeneous garbage.
Indifferent2.gif

CHRP718

Banned
kevm3 said:
Sometimes it's like these magazines are being paid by Microsoft or something. Every time a PS3 exclusive comes up, they ask about a 360 port. What kind of dumb question is that to ask a Naughty Dog employee, when Naughty Dog and the Uncharted property is owned by Sony?
seriously, thats like asking Sony Santa Monica if God of War is a Sony exclusive :lol

Lince

Banned
kevm3 said:
Every time a PS3 exclusive comes up, they ask about a 360 port.

just cheap ass fanboys, the PS3 is worth every penny you fools, how about getting a (better) job or something and stop crying for ports of the best games this gen.

Dyno

Lince said:
just cheap ass fanboys, the PS3 is worth every penny you fools, how about getting a (better) job or something and stop crying for ports of the best games this gen.

HA! PEASANTRY!!!

Awntawn

DMeisterJ said:
I hope his ass gets fixed. But it'll never be anything near Solid Snake's ass. =)
Hate to be the one to break it to you, but Snake's ass is fake. His whole physique is fake. He's just a scrawny old man sitting inside a muscle suit.

Top Bottom