• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 2 direct feed screens

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I don't know why would anyone get upset over such question. In fact, if anything it's doing ND a favor, making sure that noone interested in a game would hold off hoping for a more complete version coming later as a port. Not everyone is versed into intricacies of who owns who or what.

Looks gorgeous but it doesn't mean shit if it still has the sense of humor of a live-action Disney flick. I couldn't even finish the demo of the first game because of those retarded quips and one-liners.

DMeisterJ

Banned
Awntawn said:
Hate to be the one to break it to you, but Snake's ass is fake. His whole physique is fake. He's just a scrawny old man sitting inside a muscle suit.

Don't you ever talk about Solid Snake like that! RAWR!! :(

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Dash said:
Drake's butt should be bigger.
Comments like this are about as misplaced as "Lara's boobs should be bigger". In fact even more so, because they made it pretty clear they wanted to have people in the game that do not have immaculate body physique. Elena was like that, so it only makes sense that Drake would be as well.

EktorPR

Pitch Black Flint said:
Looks gorgeous but it doesn't mean shit if it still has the sense of humor of a live-action Disney flick. I couldn't even finish the demo of the first game because of those retarded quips and one-liners.

You suck, then.

Man, I was just playing through the first game and even after playing Metal Gear, Gears 2 and Dead Space; Uncharted still looks amazing, up there with the very best titles this year.
Cannot wait for Among Thieves.

EktorPR said:
You suck, then.

:lol Chill, man. No need to take offense.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. Every game should provide some challenge for the player to overcome. I guess struggling with the writer's shitty sense of humor just wasn't what I expected. But you're probably right though. It's not a fault, it's a feature.

arne

Pitch Black Flint said:
:lol Chill, man. No need to take offense.

Maybe I'm being too harsh. Every game should provide some challenge for the player to overcome. I guess struggling with the writer's shitty sense of humor just wasn't what I expected. But you're probably right though. It's not a fault, it's a feature.

opinions are opinions.
based on my reading of comments and game reviews, your opinion is in the minority. maybe it would be worthwhile to broaden your experience a bit first and then see what you think in the end.

arne said:
opinions are opinions.
based on my reading of comments and game reviews, your opinion is in the minority. maybe it would be worthwhile to broaden your experience a bit first and then see what you think in the end.

Or maybe he just has taste?

I think it is pretty undeniable that a game who's badguys yell out such awesome taunts as, "die airplane guy!" land squarley in the cheese category. At least the gameplay is fucking of the hook.

Hazaro

relies on auto-aim
flarkminator said:

I think it is pretty undeniable that a game who's badguys yell out such awesome taunts as, "die airplane guy!" land squarley in the cheese category. At least the gameplay is fucking of the hook.
It is delicious cheese and you should eat it.

WinFonda

I think Uncharted has a good sense of humor and it's one of the few games whose cut scenes aren't embarrassing to watch with other people around.

I never heard the "Die airplane guy!" line uttered but that is hilarious. :lol

arne

flarkminator said:

there's different types of humor.

say, there's trading places vs. ace ventura vs. scary movie vs. chris rock vs. lisa lampinelli vs. eddie murphy raw vs. woody allen

maybe it was on purpose to evoke those feelings. just a thought.

arne said:
there's different types of humor.

say, there's trading places vs. ace ventura vs. scary movie vs. chris rock vs. lisa lampinelli vs. eddie murphy raw vs. woody allen

maybe it was on purpose to evoke those feelings. just a thought.

Well, I think his argument is that its not particularly /well/ written. My shortly and un-eloquently put point was that just because people like something doesn't mean it's objectively well written. It's the same argument that just because something has a high metacritic doesn't mean a game is objectively good or bad.

But anyway, I still love you. <3

The Weak point of Uncharted was the Combat...

The goddamn enemies were bullet sponges. I don't care if the AI is enhanced, 4-5 shots on some poor chap with no body armor is too much to take him down.

I just hope they make this right.

nib95

Banned
The Bookerman said:

The goddamn enemies were bullet sponges. I don't care if the AI is enhanced, 4-5 shots on some poor chap with no body armor is too much to take him down.

348221486_c95617922d.jpg

Thrakier

The Bookerman said:

They take much more in Gears. Why is no one complaining about this? Because they are "aliens"? Does that change the annoying thing about bullet sponges?

Also, aim for the head. They will go down in no time.

Three shots with the pistol (in normal mode) or one in the head seems pretty perfect. If it was one shot in head or two in the body it would take away almost all advantage of hadshot. One in the body or head even more so. Three is good.
I dont get why the Ak47, which have 7.62 ammo, inflict less damage than the gun though.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
haj guyz, anything new lately (2 days)?

nib95 said:

when they shove a ton of south asian mercs at you, at the same time, it's not that easy.

Either way, i did finish it.

I simply found some spots were rediculously hard because of that.

I loved the game either way.

The Bookerman said:

Dude, this is just not true. One shot to the head, or three to the body. Period. Combat in Uncharted is damn near flawless.

Dyno

The gunplay is excellent but true heads know that iron fisting those fucking ethnics was the true path to glory. Two in the chest while you're running up to them and KABLAOW! Gimme double ammo!

DangerStepp

Who is that new girl?

Is Drake kinda like the Michael Keaton Batman, in that he gets a new leading lady with each new installment in the series?

The Bookerman said:
when they shove a ton of south asian mercs at you, at the same time, it's not that easy.

but Drake himself can also stand a lot of bullets before he goes down, giving you more time to aim before you go back to hiding. unless you're playing crushing, I think the game is pretty fair about the difficulty

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Arne, I'm no game designer, but I found on my first playthrough of Uncharted I found that I didn't use the melee attacks enough. It wasn't until the second playthrough that I really started experimenting with them.

Perhaps in Uncharted: AM you guys should consider finding a way to encourage players to use melee attacks more. I realise Uncharted 1 had the initial boat level tutorial bit, and the incentive of 2x ammo (this was great! It shows that you guys were/are aware that you'd have to give incentive to the player for wanting to go hand-to-hand. I hope it remains in the sequel), but perhaps having a section where you are weapon-less, and have to take out enemies using only melee attacks toward the second quarter, or second half of the game. By that time most people will be starting to get into there "comfort zone", so switching things up will probably have a bigger affect on the person playing, which in turn will mean they'll be more likely to have the moment of "ohhh, melee attacks are really useful", which will, in theory, make the person playing use the hand-to-hand side of the combat more, assuming you slowly reintroduce the guns (perhaps with limited ammo), so that the player is forced to find a happy medium between gun slinging and fist fighting.

This could all take place over, I dunno, an arena (room) or two, but I feel it would make the overall experience better for some.

Like I said, I'm no expert. But hey, there's my two cents. :)

The Bookerman said:
Try it again.

3-4 shots to the body. at least.
Yeah depends on the enemy, regular AK47 enemy takes 3 shot. Big guys with shotguns takes more. Still not to many. If you say "not realistic" you clearly missed the point of Uncharted.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I don't understand the logic behind wanting enemies to just fall to the ground when shot.

The game would basically become a shooting gallery mini-game. Most of the actual strategy would vanish.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Gibb said:
nope.. still debating ass shapes.. after 5 pages..
the SE of Uncharted2 should contain inflatable butts
You can almost sense what one of the codes in the game will do. We already got the Doughnut Drake, it's now time for a Bigass Drake.

arne said:
opinions are opinions.
I can't even put myself in the state of mind where jokes and writing in Uncharted would be considered bad...

monocle-man.jpg
?

Tenkai Star said:
Yeah depends on the enemy, regular AK47 enemy takes 3 shot. Big guys with shotguns takes more. Still not to many. If you say "not realistic" you clearly missed the point of Uncharted.

I agree. Specially when keeping stand with three shots is the most realistic thing uncharted has :lol But you know... "just a reason to complain please..."

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Rez>You said:
Arne, I'm no game designer, but I found on my first playthrough of Uncharted I found that I didn't use the melee attacks enough. It wasn't until the second playthrough that I really started experimenting with them.

Perhaps in Uncharted: AM you guys should consider finding a way to encourage players to use melee attacks more. I realise Uncharted 1 had the initial boat level tutorial bit, and the incentive of 2x ammo (this was great! It shows that you guys were/are aware that you'd have to give incentive to the player for wanting to go hand-to-hand. I hope it remains in the sequel), but perhaps having a section where you are weapon-less, and have to take out enemies using only melee attacks toward the second quarter, or second half of the game. By that time most people will be starting to get into there "comfort zone", so switching things up will probably have a bigger affect on the person playing, which in turn will mean they'll be more likely to have the moment of "ohhh, melee attacks are really useful", which will, in theory, make the person playing use the hand-to-hand side of the combat more, assuming you slowly reintroduce the guns (perhaps with limited ammo), so that the player is forced to find a happy medium between gun slinging and fist fighting.

This could all take place over, I dunno, an arena (room) or two, but I feel it would make the overall experience better for some.

Like I said, I'm no expert. But hey, there's my two cents. :)

I rarely found a good moment to use hand to hand - it was either because I was completely out of ammo, and had one guy left, so I just run towards him and start hitting him. But it's often a too great a risk to take to start using hand to hand, since they're most likely a good distance away from you, and taking them out would mean running from cover to cover to get near enough. Which takes a whole lot more time than just gunning him down with a wellplaced shot or three. I also rarely found a good moment to use the grenades as well. Often I just used them for fun, but rarely were they more useful than using the gun. Considering you only had a few of them on you at a time, it was easy to save them for later, when they were "needed".

Anyway, are there any cheats, or bonuses if you will, which I'm allowed to use to earn my Charted - Crushing trophy?

jett

D-Member
People are actually hating on Uncharted's humor and writing?

I sure hope ND isn't paying any attention to these retards.

methane47

Tenkai Star said:
Three shots with the pistol (in normal mode) or one in the head seems pretty perfect. If it was one shot in head or two in the body it would take away almost all advantage of hadshot. One in the body or head even more so. Three is good.
I dont get why the Ak47, which have 7.62 ammo, inflict less damage than the gun though.

Not the case.. The problem is that there is a moment after being shot where the enemie is invincible. Delay is a second or less.. but The effect is.. wasting an entire clip but Only 5 shots counting.. If you just tap the R1 you will see that it still only takes 3-4 shots to take some one down.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
jett said:

I would've said it in a more PC way, but yeah. Word.

methane47

I'm sure I read about it somewhere that the reason that was done was because of the animation engine, they didn't want an enemy to go through 10 reactions in 2 seconds.... But I'm not sure.. i could be totally wrong on that..

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
methane47 said:
Not the case.. The problem is that there is a moment after being shot where the enemie is invincible. Delay is a second or less.. but The effect is.. wasting an entire clip but Only 5 shots counting.. If you just tap the R1 you will see that it still only takes 3-4 shots to take some one down.

Yeah, that kinda annoyed me. That happens with the normal handgun too, I can pull the trigger three times very fast, but only one, or two if I'm lucky, counts. The enemy still reacted to the bullet, but it didn't count. Feels a bit cheap.

StarEye said:
Yeah, that kinda annoyed me. That happens with the normal handgun too, I can pull the trigger three times very fast, but only one, or two if I'm lucky, counts. The enemy still reacted to the bullet, but it didn't count. Feels a bit cheap.
Well, we never complained when playing Mega Man, Castlevania etc back in the days. 2 seconds invurnability after getting hit was standard, now, its payback time =P

StarEye

The Amiga Brotherhood
Tenkai Star said:
Well, we never complained when playing Mega Man, Castlevania etc back in the days. 2 seconds invurnability after getting hit was standard, now, its payback time =P

Hehe, well that was more about being lazy when it came to balanze out the difficulty. When you have one billion bullets going towards you, and you get no invulnerability time, you'll be dead once you take the first bullet, because you can't recover. I remember games that didn't make you invulnerable, and they were extremely frustrating, when they shoot you the moment you're back on your feet and ready to shoot.

jett said:

Damn Jett beat me to it. Writing and Dialogue in Uncharted are excellent
and I would argue some of the best I have ever seen.

Top Bottom