• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: Nadine And Sully Trailer

acklame

This game is going to be incredible. I love that all the characters have aged and that it doesn't feel like more of the same. Can't wait to play through and see what they have in store.

Nadine and Sully both have this weird highlight around them in their acene together and the wide shot of them talking makes them stick out against the background so badly it looks like they're on a green screen set.

I agree with you on the wide shot. The depth of field is too shallow for that focal length and it looks unnatural. And the fog enhances the effect and makes them pop out.

I think the perspective looks off as well, Nadine and Sully look so big compared to the couple standing next to the table right behind them. But that can't be. Edit: Maybe my brain is just expecting a narrower field of view because of the shallow depth of field.

JP

Having seen the videos from the past day or say it's crazy that this is all running in realtime. There's so much life in that ballroom, all those people, the audio, the atmosphere. I'm just trying to imagine something like that bit the room but in one of the game's big set pieces with explosions, aeroplanes or whatever.

What I do like is that they've changed the game to give it a more realistic colour pallet, they've kept the really strong but perfectly balance colour pallet of the other games.

One of the few games that I was actually happy to pre-order the day it was announced.

gamerMan

I don't know why but that scene reminded me of Mission Impossible. I can't wait till March for this game. The graphics and storytelling look so beyond anything else. I am sort of glad they aren't showing game play because I can't wait for them to surprise me. So much love and effort has gone into this.

I guess Chloe really is a no-show for UC4. :(

Chloe appeared in the multiplayer trailer, so we can assume she will be a playable character there. All of the characters have unique voice overs in multiplayer so at least you will be able to hear her quips in UC4.

Uncharted 4 is ahead of Star Citizen for me, though I'm pretty sure many of the PC guys will disagree with me.

SC mostly brute-forces its way to better graphics. Some people will get upset by that (mainly gaffers who backed SC), but when you compare things like character models of both games and UC4's look better despite SC's obviously containing a lot more polygons, it becomes evident. ND is just very good at pretty much everything.

It only speaks to the talents of ND who has many years of experience working on AAA consistently. One can wonder what they would be capable of if they were no longer under the restrictions of a closed box.

It's the last Naughty Dog Uncharted.

Every living character that ever mattered will absolutely make an appearance. It's not inconceivable that they won't show Cutter and Chloe before release, guys.

I suppose they could explain away Chloe and Cutter with some dialogue, but I really, really doubt it.

KKRT00

when the SC trailer aired during the game awards it looked...pretty janky, especially the animations

Because it was alpha multiplayer footage and game is doing the animations that are viable in FPP and VR. You couldnt use any U4 animations in FPP.

Koyuga

These cutscenes are not rendered in real time on the console. I refuse to believe this.

It's the last Naughty Dog Uncharted.

Every living character that ever mattered will absolutely make an appearance. It's not inconceivable that they won't show Cutter and Chloe before release, guys.

I suppose they could explain away Chloe and Cutter with some dialogue, but I really, really doubt it.

Bring back Eddie Raja.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Nadine has to be based on Moneypenny from bond right?
Striking resemblance

Alienous

The game looks like it's going to be a heck of an experience, but it seems quite different to previous Uncharted games in direction. Quite a bit more subtle. Maybe it's the music.

Kaze2212

Despite the story part they showed at PSX being great.

This footage and the Nadine introduction trailer are stuck in my head the most.

After thinking about this I feel that this whole section of the game will probably be pure stealth gameplay with some occaisonal melee fights up to the point of Nathan's and Nadine's encounter which also will be a melee fight apparently. I then also feel that it might end in some car chase in town, which could be amazing.

Some gifs.

If they're slowing down the page I will link them on request.

Ve2ewzc.gif

Ewsc69j.gif

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
If I want to be super critical I do feel the lighting/shadowing is a little off, a bit surreal almost, reliant on rim shading and ambient occlusions to give depth to assets in a scene instead of complex global illumination or whatever. Which is not to say that's what it's doing, just how it looks to me, leading to elements in the scene (characters and static assets included) not looking cohesively lit with the scene itself. Like on a detail level the accurate, deeper lighting/shading isn't there, causing props to stand out as floating in the scene or conflicting with the environment lighting more than they should realistically.

But that's nitpicking in a game that otherwise looks fucking incredible on a technically and artistic level, and it's not like countless other games (if not the majority) aren't equally guilty of the aforementioned nitpicking. So whatever.

zsynqx

If I want to be super critical I do feel the lighting/shadowing is a little off, a bit surreal almost, reliant on rim shading and ambient occlusions to give depth to assets in a scene instead of complex global illumination or whatever. Which is not to say that's what it's doing, just how it looks to me, leading to elements in the scene (characters and static assets included) not looking cohesively lit with the scene itself. Like on a detail level the accurate, deeper lighting/shading isn't there, causing props to stand out as floating in the scene or conflicting with the environment lighting more than they should realistically.

But that's nitpicking in a game that otherwise looks fucking incredible on a technically and artistic level, and it's not like countless other games (if not the majority) aren't equally guilty of the aforementioned nitpicking. So whatever.

I remember you saying in the past that you felt Uncharted was at it's worst when it was trying to be serious and "deep," so I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the trailer where he meets his brother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOmPDvVz3MA

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I remember you saying in the past that you felt Uncharted was at it's worst when it was trying to be serious and "deep," so I am interested in hearing your thoughts on the trailer where he meets his brother

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IOmPDvVz3MA

I thought it was excellent. The character scripts and performances came across as genuine and grounded, and the conversation writing struck me as a solid balance between humane and adventuresque.

But my criticism of the other Uncharted games and their serious elements is less about these smaller moments and more about the contrast against the action. This gives me promise that at least the former will be right on track, but I hope they can hold up thematic and character consistency when Drake is inevitably mowing down waves of bad dudes and jumping across exploding shit.

Mendrox

It looks awesome - I won't need series in the future...just games like these, but...

where de fuck is Cloes ass? ;__; I need that PS4 booty

zsynqx

I thought it was excellent. The character scripts and performances came across as genuine and grounded, and the conversation writing struck me as a solid balance between humane and adventuresque.

But my criticism of the other Uncharted games and their serious elements is less about these smaller moments and more about the contrast against the action. This gives me promise that at least the former will be right on track, but I hope they can hold up thematic and character consistency when Drake is inevitably mowing down waves of bad dudes and jumping across exploding shit.

Yer, I wonder how they can solve that problem. Obviously it would help if they cut down on the amount of combat, which got ridiculous in the originals.

kyser73

Yeaaaah, spin-off. That's a good name to call it. Gonna dream about this spin-off tonight. :D

I second this post, and the post it was a reply to.

OT - that conversation between Nadine and Sully...I dunno, it felt on a different level to anything I've seen before in a game.

Yeah, because no artistry and attention to detail is involved in making PC games. You just dump raw unedited stuff on to hardware that does it all for you.

All those lighting artists, character modellers, and engine tech guys that worked on console games before hand all of a sudden stopped being artisans as soon as they were hired by CIG.

That's not what I meant but you proved the second part of my post, so thanks.

Sorry to burst your bubble but there is absolutely no competition for Star Citizen. That game has scenes of 30+ million polys with 4k+ textures and every other advanced graphical effect. Thinking UC4 is coming close to that is a bit silly.

Wow, this one's even better.

Muinaiset

Neo Member
SC mostly brute-forces its way to better graphics. Some people will get upset by that (mainly gaffers who backed SC), but when you compare things like character models of both games and UC4's look better despite SC's obviously containing a lot more polygons, it becomes evident. ND is just very good at pretty much everything.

I've been playing the Uncharted 4 beta and the game does not look that amazing at all. When you're selecting your character they look amazing, but in actual gameplay it's not near as good looking. The recent Call Of Duty games even have better graphics. I'm sure the SP will look a lot better than the MP, but UC4 is not that impressive at all to me graphics wise. I'm really glad they went for 60fps in the MP instead of trying to make it look super amazing though.

Star Citizen is no doubt a better looking game.

I've been playing the Uncharted 4 beta and the game does not look that amazing at all. When you're selecting your character they look amazing, but in actual gameplay it's not near as good looking. The recent Call Of Duty games even have better graphics. I'm sure the SP will look a lot better than the MP, but UC4 is not all that impressive at all to me graphics wise. I'm really glad they went for 60fps in the MP instead of trying to make it look super amazing though.

Have you ever played another Uncharted multiplayer before? Even when they had the same framerate targets they looked worlds apart.

But why are we talking about mulitplayer here at all is the bigger question.

There it is!

Kaze2212

I've been playing the Uncharted 4 beta and the game does not look that amazing at all. When you're selecting your character they look amazing, but in actual gameplay it's not near as good looking. The recent Call Of Duty games even have better graphics. I'm sure the SP will look a lot better than the MP, but UC4 is not that impressive at all to me graphics wise. I'm really glad they went for 60fps in the MP instead of trying to make it look super amazing though.

I have no idea how the gameplay of the single player will look, but MP and SP won't even be comparable. But if they are doing transitions from cutscenes into gameplay there can't be much of a difference, because that would look werid.

Top Bottom