• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted 4: Nadine And Sully Trailer

Muinaiset

Neo Member
Have you ever played another Uncharted multiplayer before? Even when they had the same framerate targets they looked worlds apart.

But why are we talking about mulitplayer here at all is the bigger question.

There it is!
Because that is what is playable right now and considering all of SC is multiplayer and the game manages to look worlds better is telling. The E3 demo did not look worlds apart from the MP. It looked better, but not by much. UC2 was graphically impressive when it came out. UC4 definitely isn't having the same impact.

What do you mean "There it is"? Anyone who isn't blind can see that SC is a better looking game.

I have no idea how the gameplay of the single player will look, but MP and SP won't even be comparable.

Yeah, like I said the SP will look better, but based off the E3 footage it will definitely be comparable.

Because that is what is playable and considering all of SC is multiplayer and the game manages to look worlds better is telling.

You do realize there's only a fraction of the effort put in SP on the MP, don't you?

I can already see where this is heading. "Effort wouldn't change that the console can't do much more than that at 60fps" and bam. We're back at the brute force argument.

dEvAnGeL

game looks gorgeous but why is people surprised at the transition from cutscene to gameplay like is something no game has done before? are you guys forgetting metal gear solid 4?

dEvAnGeL

And? Many people here disagree.

People are surprised at how much detail it retains from the cutscene.
but have we actually seen the video were it goes immediately to gameplay? because usually ND games are followed by a very short black screen and then gameplay

I've been playing the Uncharted 4 beta and the game does not look that amazing at all. When you're selecting your character they look amazing, but in actual gameplay it's not near as good looking. The recent Call Of Duty games even have better graphics. I'm sure the SP will look a lot better than the MP, but UC4 is not that impressive at all to me graphics wise. I'm really glad they went for 60fps in the MP instead of trying to make it look super amazing though.

Star Citizen is no doubt a better looking game.

Fair enough, I haven't seen actual gameplay from SC that has really caught my eye. MP footage of Uncharted games has never really caught my eye either. SP footage however, is a different matter...This looks much more impressive than the SP footage. Anyway, I don't see how SC and U4 are really that comparable. SC is going for a scale far beyond U4, while U4 has much more convincing attention to detail in my opinion, which SC doesn't really need, or can't afford, given what it is going for.

Muinaiset

Neo Member
And? Many people here disagree.
Whatever floats your boat. Both games look great, but SC is clearly a better looking game overall.

I can already see where this is heading. "Effort wouldn't change that the console can't do much more than that at 60fps" and bam. We're back at the brute force argument.

"The PC is capable of more power than the PS4 so it has better looking games but they're not actually better looking than PS4 games because brute force"

What are you even talking about.

OtisInf

SC mostly brute-forces its way to better graphics. Some people will get upset by that (mainly gaffers who backed SC), but when you compare things like character models of both games and UC4's look better despite SC's obviously containing a lot more polygons, it becomes evident. ND is just very good at pretty much everything.
What does 'brute forces its way to better graphics' even mean? I know what brute force means but getting better graphics has nothing to do with 'brute force', but with better algorithms, code and assets and the available hardware functionality.

Kaze2212

but have we actually seen the video were it goes immediately to gameplay? because usually ND games are followed by a very short black screen and then gameplay

The beginning of the latest E3 demo. During the gameplay and at the end of the gameplay before the title of the game is shown.

Muinaiset

Neo Member
Fair enough, I haven't seen actual gameplay from SC that has really caught my eye. MP footage of Uncharted games has never really caught my eye either. SP footage however, is a different matter...This looks much more impressive than the SP footage. Anyway, I don't see how SC and U4 are really that comparable. SC is going for a scale far beyond U4, while U4 has much more convincing attention to detail in my opinion, which SC doesn't really need, or can't afford, given what it is going for.

The cutscenes for sure look awesome, the detail is great, but I still think even in the cutscenes SC has the edge. This is based off of crappy compressed youtube footage of UC4 of course. But still, the actual gameplay is where it will matter and I doubt it'll look as good as the cutscenes. When you're customizing your character items and whatnot in the MP beta the models look amazing, just like in the cutscenes, but actual gameplay is a far cry from that. I have a feeling the SP will be like that too, not near as extreme, but still.

banagher

Past games were using pre-rendered cutscenes hence the transition and cut to black.
It's all real time now, so alot more seamless.

Roussow

yeieBA.png

MRWFuy.png

Dxpo30.png

7SQP00.png

Taken in the beta tutorial -- the dithering in the first shot is the plants turning transparent as the camera gets closer, it's not permanent.

Looks soooooo good. Sully is looking really old here

Drake is an okay next-gen reimagining, but Sully looks completely different, as does Elena. I'm kinda pissed about that to be honest.

The artists clearly wanted to make them look less cartoony, but I feel like they ditched a bunch of similarities in the process. I also wonder how much facial capture has forced them to change the character models.

Gh7s0ph.jpg

Kaze2212

Taken in the beta tutorial -- the dithering in the first shot is the plants turning transparent as the camera gets closer, it's not permanent.

You can see here that they indeed are using the cutscene model for the gameplay. Here you can see that in the multiplayer the textures and shading are of lower quality. I believe these will be much better looking in the SP.

strafer

Drake is an okay next-gen reimagining, but Sully looks completely different, as does Elena. I'm kinda pissed about that to be honest.

The artists clearly wanted to make them look less cartoony, but I feel like they ditched a bunch of similarities in the process. I also wonder how much facial capture has forced them to change the character models.

Gh7s0ph.jpg

Elena looks better now.

"The PC is capable of more power than the PS4 so it has better looking games but they're not actually better looking than PS4 games because brute force"

What are you even talking about.

Nice reading comprehension.

The best we've seen of SC and UC4 is only comparable because of ND's talent. If you push the comparison to include MP, the gulf gets too big. Doesn't change that SC's use of its resources could have been better.

What does 'brute forces its way to better graphics' even mean? I know what brute force means but getting better graphics has nothing to do with 'brute force', but with better algorithms, code and assets and the available hardware functionality.

How is not having to strike a good cost-benefit balance of polygons for models not an example of brute force?

Muinaiset

Neo Member
Nice reading comprehension.
When you bring up brute forcing and consoles not being able to do 60fps for a game to look like UC4 in the same line it's not exactly easy to tell what you're getting at.

The best we've seen of SC and UC4 is only comparable because of ND's talent. If you push the comparison to include MP, the gulf gets too big. Doesn't change that SC's use of its resources could have been better.
I don't get what this has to do with whether or not SC is a better looking game or not.

OtisInf

How is not having to strike a good cost-benefit balance of polygons for models not an example of brute force?
Because that's not what 'brute force' means. Brute forcing means you're trying everything and eventually you'll hit that combination that fits, so not thinking first what might be the best way to solve things. E.g. you can crack a password by brute forcing, which means you simply try all combinations till you hit the right password. It has no meaning with respect to graphics programming, hence your argument, sorry, doesn't make much sense. I think you mean something else than 'brute force' (but what, is a mystery to me) ;)

zsynqx

Gh7s0ph.jpg

If you watch the panel Neil said they recorded a bunch of scenes before they started using face capture including the one here with Nadine and Sully. I doubt that had anything to do with the face modelling process.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Because that is what is playable right now and considering all of SC is multiplayer and the game manages to look worlds better is telling. The E3 demo did not look worlds apart from the MP. It looked better, but not by much. UC2 was graphically impressive when it came out. UC4 definitely isn't having the same impact.

What do you mean "There it is"? Anyone who isn't blind can see that SC is a better looking game.

Yeah, like I said the SP will look better, but based off the E3 footage it will definitely be comparable.
What does Star Citizen have to do with anything?

Star Citizen does look incredibly impressive but it's going for such a different look in such a different genre. They aren't even remotely comparable. Plus, SC is targeting ultra high-end PCs in a way that no other games today really can. It damn well better look incredible.

as it stands now i find U4 better looking.

Because that's not what 'brute force' means. Brute forcing means you're trying everything and eventually you'll hit that combination that fits, so not thinking first what might be the best way to solve things. E.g. you can crack a password by brute forcing, which means you simply try all combinations till you hit the right password. It has no meaning with respect to graphics programming, hence your argument, sorry, doesn't make much sense. I think you mean something else than 'brute force' (but what, is a mystery to me) ;)

i think what he meant is that despite star citizen checking more graphics tech check boxes, its not translating to a better end result in his eyes

Muinaiset

Neo Member

Star Citizen does look incredibly impressive but it's going for such a different look in such a different genre. They aren't even remotely comparable. Plus, SC is targeting ultra high-end PCs in a way that no other games today really can. It damn well better look incredible.

I am not the one that brought SC up, so I am not the one to ask. From a pure technical standpoint SC is a more impressive game visually. They do look very different from eachother though.

I think he is comparing the shiny chrome of the spaceships with Sully's moustache.

Erm, brute forcing just means that: using brute force rather than finesse to achieve something. In your example, which covers one case, it means trying every possible combination until you get the password, instead of, well, anything else.

Brute force is used pretty regularly to describe how you can get superior IQ from PC ports of games, even if the ports are nothing to write home about. Even if the port gives you no AA options whatsoever, as long as you can change internal resolution, you can just downsample the hell out of the game and get pristine IQ, assuming your hardware is up to it.

Sorry if you hadn't heard of this before, but that's no excuse to be so condescending.

What is this ? Pre-rendered CGI or real time cut-scenes ? :eek:

As far as we know there's no CG in U4. They're going full real-time in part to avoid bloating the size of the game. Especially since it's a series that's known for having nice extras included in them that are going to take up a lot of space on their own.

I am not the one that brought SC up, so I am not the one to ask. From a pure technical standpoint SC is a more impressive game visually. They do look very different from eachother though.

As in any process, there are the quality of the parts used, and how the parts are utilised and come together to create a desired effect. I can imagine many people just looking at parallel footage might consider U4 to be 'more impressive looking' than SC, while SC is obviously technically doing stuff at a higher level than U4 simply because it is running on much more capable hardware.

I don't think the cutscenes look better in SC though. The facial animations look more uncanny to me. The direction in U4 cutscenes is more impressive to me as well.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
I don't know why I'm stepping into this, but I noticed you were arguing what looked better ands now it's changed to what's more impressive.

My take is that a game can look objectively better and yet be less impressive. To me impressive is more contextual. I'm more impressed by a phenomenal looking game on middling hardware than an even better looking game on a 1500-2000 dollar PC. This is because one requires more talent and ingenuity than the other, which is largely what impresses me.

That might be what lukeskymac is getting at with his brute force argument, but I don't want to put words in his mouth.

Javin98

Banned

Oh, look, here we have an example of a PC gamer telling everyone else that thinking Uncharted 4 is better looking than Star Citizen is being delusional. You know it works both ways, right? I have no idea why some of you insist it's wrong to have opinions.

I finally got to see SC on a high end rig this weekend.
UC4 based on the videos released looks just as good if not slightly better.

Top Bottom