• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Uncharted: Among Thieves release date, box-art and pre-order incentives announced

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
JoJo13 said:
They're using Tri buffering or something now, so there won't be any tearing at all.

There wasn't in the beta.

Good. That was my only real complaint with the first game.

Banned
templeusox said:
On last week's Podcast Beyond (100th episode) Evan Wells was a guest, and he specifically mentioned how tech-sharing from Guerilla and Insomniac helped them solve some screen-tearing issues in the game. Nothing big, but interesting to hear some specifics w/r/t tech-sharing.

Good news. It looks like reviewers won't have much to complain about this time around.

Naughty Dog fixed every issue and improved a great deal. This game will be just as good, if not better, than MGS4.

Schrade

848484 said:
Good news. It looks like reviewers won't have much to complain about this time around.

Naughty Dog fixed every issue and improved a great deal. This game will be just as good, if not better, than MGS4.
PS3 exclusive though... automatic 1 point deduction.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
So here is the Uncharted 2 countdown Mac OSX Widget, and Windows 7 / Vista Sidebar Gadget I've been making for the past few days in my spare time. As you can imagine, the chest will open on the release day, but after that day is gone by, the widget will switch from countdown mode into displaying the current date and time, so you will have some reason to keep it even after the release, if you chose so.

Download OSX Widget Here
Download Windows Vista and Windows 7 32bit Gadget Here
Download Windows Plain Executables (Recommended for Win XP which has no sidebar, and 64bit Windows 7)

Here's what the widget looks like on Mac.

o0sd3q.jpg

As you will see if you install it, it has numerous animations such as the snow storm going, and the snow buildup on the chest (hey, it's a feature in the game so I had to have it), which can be shaken off by rolling mouse over the chest. However, I made sure that after the widget screen is closed, any memory and CPU usage from this widget are completely eliminated, so you can run it on laptop without any worries, unless you like to keep widget screen open looking at it for hours :p

Of course, since we still don't know the release date outside of the US, I made the settings screen available, so that you can set the correct date to which it will count down to, once the date is known:

xni5p0.jpg

As you can see, there's an option to disable the snow storm animation (which will also prevent the snow buildup, of course!) but there's not much need for this on Mac because as I mentioned, there's no CPU and memory impact once the widget screen is closed.

Unfortunately, this version of widget doesn't display the settings in a standard Flip-around widget fashion, but I have that version available as well upon request, it's just that you will have to set some cookie settings, which I didn't want to have in a regular release.

Lastly, if the screen estate is tight on your widget screen, you can also use the small version of the widget instead (it's included on the zip file)

4g57yw.jpg

And the default Windows Sidebar Gadget looks just like the small Mac version, conforming to standard sidebar size:

23wnqte.jpg

In the spirit of the way Windows gadgets operate, when you drag it out of the sidebar, it will expand become full size, just like the bigger one on Mac, and you can position it anywhere on the desktop, even if sidebar is hidden:

29bez2c.jpg

The option to disable the snow storm animation could be useful on Windows as the gadget is present on the screen all the time, so it would eat some CPU cycles (even though it's minimal with the small version)

Nice to hear about no screen tearing. :) Also, Lord Error, that gadget is awesome. I don't use gadgets, but if I did I would definitely use that one you made.

womfalcs3

Banned
Okay. Amazon currently has 3 dollars off the MSRP, but they're also including a 5-dollar credit towards music downloads once the order ships.

The only thing holding me back is if they have a 5 dollars off promotion where you enter a code at checkout. I also wish they included a 10-dollar credit towards a future video games purchase as they're doing with Modern Warfare 2. They guarantee the lowest pre-order price, so I'm not weary of them lowering the base price in the future.

womfalcs3 said:
Okay. Amazon currently has 3 dollars off the MSRP, but they're also including a 5-dollar credit towards music downloads once the order ships.

The only thing holding me back is if they have a 5 dollars off promotion where you enter a code at checkout. I also wish they included a 10-dollar credit towards a future video games purchase as they're doing with Modern Warfare 2. They guarantee the lowest pre-order price, so I'm not weary of them lowering the base price in the future.

You know the 5$ code expires BEFORE the game ships in October. It says the code expires on September 30, 2009

Promotional offer is valid from August 5, 2009 through August 31, 2009 and subject to change. You must redeem the credit by September 30, 2009.

So its not really a deal for this game, since it wont be applicable. They dont charge you until the day it ships.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
RavenFox said:
I'm running Windows 7. Must find a way
Yeah, there's several gotchas to get this running on Windows 7, wish I tested this more on it before I posted.

First of all, to get Sidebar working at all on any Windows 7, you have to have UAC enabled at least on default setting (Control Panel / Action Center / User Account Control link on the left side, check if the slider is on Default)

Then, you need to re-download Gadget from the same link above - I had to replace it as I realized the way I packed it, Win 7 wouldn't recognize it, but it was working fine on Vista. New one should work fine on both, as long as you use 32bit Windows 7.

On 64bit Windows 7, there's simply no way to get this to work in a legit way - not until Adobe fixes things on their end. What you have to do to get it to work is to manually run the 32bit Sidebar.exe, by going to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Sidebar\sidebar.exe
and then double clicking on Uncharted 2 Countdown.gadget which you would have unpacked from the downloaded zip. Then it will show up and run fine, and basically, as long as you ensure that 32bit Sidebar.exe is running upon reboot, this should all continue working.

It's a bit of a hassle though, so for those who don't want to go through it, I created plain .exe files that can be run on any Windows with no problems, but they have the typical window border around them:
http://www.mediafire.com/?kkmnhtzkeuk

womfalcs3

Banned
Dedication Through Light said:
You know the 5$ code expires BEFORE the game ships in October. It says the code expires on September 30, 2009

So its not really a deal for this game, since it wont be applicable. They dont charge you until the day it ships.

They should take off that as a promotion from the Uncharted 2 page, then.

Loudninja

New screens and some facts!
http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3168740&sec=IMAGES
# 1) Over 130,000 people participated in our Uncharted 2 Multiplayer Beta, covering players from 135 countries all over the world.

# 2) The total of all multiplayer and co-op games played during the three weeks of our Beta was over 40,300 hours.

# 3) In Uncharted: Drake's Fortune we had 104 individual environment files on the disc; in Uncharted 2 we have over 400.

* 4) We spent over 30 days on our soundstage recording motion capture performances which resulted in over 90 minutes of cinematics -- along with a ton of in-game animations.

* 5) Our daily back-up of data has been averaging over one terabyte lately... and that covers only Uncharted 2 assets and data.

# 6) We drank a s*** ton of soda -- over 30,000 cans -- and one bottle of bourbon during the two years of production on Uncharted 2.

# 7) Between the 100+ Dogs working at the studio, we have over 16 nationalities and over 10 languages represented.

# 8) We've moved twice in our history: From the Universal Studios lot next to Insomniac games to an office spot above a Santa Monica outdoor mall, and to our current space -- formerly Sony BMG's offices.

# 9) We still have several of the "Original Naughty Dogs" with us, who started the first Crash Bandicoot game almost 14 years ago!

# 10) We've always had at least one dog "mascot" at Naughty Dog since the beginning. Currently our resident dogs are Pogo, a French Bulldog, and Trumpet, a Bichon Frise.

Beowulf28 said:
Is there going to be a clan system in the final game?

Clan system wasn't in the beta, so I don't think you'll see it in the final version.

Loudninja said:
New screens
http://www.1up.com/do/media?cId=3168740&sec=IMAGES

Quote:
# 1) Over 130,000 people participated in our Uncharted 2 Multiplayer Beta, covering players from 135 countries all over the world.

# 2) The total of all multiplayer and co-op games played during the three weeks of our Beta was over 40,300 hours.

# 3) In Uncharted: Drake's Fortune we had 104 individual environment files on the disc; in Uncharted 2 we have over 400.

* 4) We spent over 30 days on our soundstage recording motion capture performances which resulted in over 90 minutes of cinematics -- along with a ton of in-game animations.

* 5) Our daily back-up of data has been averaging over one terabyte lately... and that covers only Uncharted 2 assets and data.

# 6) We drank a s*** ton of soda -- over 30,000 cans -- and one bottle of bourbon during the two years of production on Uncharted 2.

# 7) Between the 100+ Dogs working at the studio, we have over 16 nationalities and over 10 languages represented.

# 8) We've moved twice in our history: From the Universal Studios lot next to Insomniac games to an office spot above a Santa Monica outdoor mall, and to our current space -- formerly Sony BMG's offices.

# 9) We still have several of the "Original Naughty Dogs" with us, who started the first Crash Bandicoot game almost 14 years ago!

# 10) We've always had at least one dog "mascot" at Naughty Dog since the beginning. Currently our resident dogs are Pogo, a French Bulldog, and Trumpet, a Bichon Frise.

:O @ info&screens.

lostxii

This is definitely encouraging. Hopefully this means tons of diverse environments.

arne said:
Just one. It was quality so it needed to be savored. haha. Kidding.

Let the nitpicking on the screens begin...
:p

Is the 2nd multiplayer beta going to be the last taste of multiplayer before the release, or are you going to do a multiplayer demo as well?

JoeFenix

Nice! Drake got his ring/necklace back!

I hope it actualy moves and reacts to Drake's movements now though. I fully expect it to!

Top Bottom