• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unit 13 |OT|

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
It's really satisfying to shoot enemies in this game, especially the cover blindfire. I think 36 missions will take a lot of time to complete, as it took me 2-3 hours to get to 10, and they're getting lengthier and more complex. Then you have the 9 HVT missions as well. Zipper has done a good job here.

demolitio

Damn, can't even imagine the USAS-12 in the full game since shotties are pretty good already. I can't wait to clear rooms blasting away on full auto with it. Of course, I can like the USAS-12 now since it's a SP/coop game and not competitive MP like SOCOM 2. :p

Pachimari

From videos i saw i think it could have made a nice MP competitve game, i may be wrong.

I think you are right. I'm playing all the modes right now and I keep missing a competitive multiplayer mode. That's because it controls so well and it's so satisfying shooting people here, while the AI is truly lacking.

Just a basic Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch would have done well, if they removed auto lock-on though.

I love sticking to walls, into cover, it feels so fulfilling! It's one of the most awesome games in recent time to sneak around in.

For me, the stealth mechanic is the true highlight. It feels really tight, and as a friend said, kind of like Metal Gear meets Splinter Cell in regards to responsiveness and use of the minimap.

Shikoro

I'm near completing the whole game. I just have to 5-star every mission, eliminate all the high value targets, get everyone to level 10, play one co-op mission and get the two trophies for which I have no idea what they mean. :/

And now I see why they have a trophy for watching the credits. Daaamn...

I'm near completing the whole game. I just have to 5-star every mission, eliminate all the high value targets, get everyone to level 10, play one co-op mission and get the two trophies for which I have no idea what they mean. :/

And now I see why they have a trophy for watching the credits. Daaamn...

lol

So is it worth picking up?

Pachimari

Do any of you Unit 13 players wanna add me to your friend lists?

I have absolutely noone to play with online. Forever alone.

PSN ID: Anastacio

NHale

Apparently Greg Miller is reviewing the game for IGN and tweeted this the other day:

Interested in opinions. I loathe the game I'm playing. Bad controls, visuals, etc. Do you feel I need to beat it before I can review it?

And the question about needing to finish the game before reviewing it is just something that I wouldn't expect even coming from IGN but then I remembered they did something similar with Under Siege...

addyb

So is everyone hammering the demo over and over? I've played it once and deleted it. My 1 and only game impressed me enough to stick a pre order in. I don't like spoiling a full release by overplaying a demo. I know I'm not spoiling the game as its only 1 level but I like to just try and keep the full game as fresh as I can.

Anyone know what I'm talking about? Lol.

So is everyone hammering the demo over and over? I've played it once and deleted it. My 1 and only game impressed me enough to stick a pre order in. I don't like spoiling a full release by overplaying a demo. I know I'm not spoiling the game as its only 1 level but I like to just try and keep the full game as fresh as I can.

I did the same thing. Loved what I played and 1 time was more than enough for me to purchase the full game.

I think what works in the game's favour is level "grinding" as it were is primarily score-driven. I love going back and seeing how I can augment my approach, different strategies and whatnot. And if you choose the dynamic level option, enemy placement is different.

addyb

I think what works in the game's favour is level "grinding" as it were is primarily score-driven. I love going back and seeing how I can augment my approach, different strategies and whatnot. And if you choose the dynamic level option, enemy placement is different.

Yeah I'm not disputing that. It's the main draw for me when I get the full game. So is that why people are hammering the demo? To just keep improving there scores? Don't see anything wrong with that. I'd just prefer to have a quick one time blast and then leave my next play for the full game.

I'm really glad it's getting some love on gaf though. I also get the feeling the 2 average reviews I read marked the game down because it's not got a typical campaign structure. Where as the positive reviews mark it up because of the scoring dynamic.

Shikoro

Apparently Greg Miller is reviewing the game for IGN and tweeted this the other day:
And the question about needing to finish the game before reviewing it is just something that I wouldn't expect even coming from IGN but then I remembered they did something similar with Under Siege...

He needs to get his eyes checked. It's one of the better games, visually. It's got a nice, clean look despite being sub qHD. Also, not sure if I saw it right, but this thing seems to have ambient occlusion -- pretty nice for a handheld game.

JWong

Banned
I really hope Grace Chen doesn't drag ass on Tuesday. Honestly, I hope they put them up midnight EST. Hell, if they don't , they are a huge disadvantage on ME3 because of all the midnight sales.

s6tnS.gif

I wonder if I could go to ME3 midnight launch to get MLB The Show and Unit 13.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
s6tnS.gif

I wonder if I could go to ME3 midnight launch to get MLB The Show and Unit 13.

If its GS then yeah, they'll sell those games as long as they have them in stock at midnight.

I'll be swinging by my local GS for ME3 midnight launch and I hate Mass Effect. But will gladly pick up my PS3/Vita copies of the Show and maybe Unit 13 which I'm still on the fence for.

Deepo

I've suddenly started feeling excited for this, after not being so impressed with the demo. I've always loathed action games with no story, but after playing some Uncharted, I'm looking more and more forward to the mission structure of Unit 13. Don't get me wrong, I really love Uncharted, but it demands all my attention, so I kind of have to prepare longer sessions to play it properly.

This seems like great fun, and I love the high score and leaderboard stuff. That's what I've enjoyed most with my other Vita games so far (Wipeout, Motorstorm). Turns out I'm really competitive, just not that much into "real time" multiplayer.

george_us

Bad controls? I thought the game had fantastic controls from the demo I played.

Takao

Banned
I feel like the demo is the full version, just with locked sections. It always asks you if you want to buy the full version which gives me that impression.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I feel like the demo is the full version, just with locked sections. It always asks you if you want to buy the full version which gives me that impression.
Yeah, you end up downloading the entire game whenever you download a Vita demo, for most of them at least. The full game (Unit 13 Eng) is just 954MB and 1.1GB for other languages. Only Uncharted: GA is over 3GB, and I guess it's mostly due to the cutscenes and stuff.

addyb

Lol I know I was gutted when i tried it and noticed that option. Dammit.

Takao

Banned
Yeah, you end up downloading the entire game whenever you download a Vita demo, for most of them at least. The full game (Unit 13 Eng) is just 954MB and 1.1GB for other languages. Only Uncharted: GA is over 3GB, and I guess it's mostly due to the cutscenes and stuff.

Uncharted's cut-scenes are all real-time so that's not the bulk of the data, haha.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
Uncharted's cut-scenes are all real-time so that's not the bulk of the data, haha.
Hmm, I thought they were pre-rendered since if you're having a Wes revolver, it shows a pistol during a cutscene - that shouldn't happen if the entire thing is rendered in real time. But considering there isn't a huge visual jump in the cutscene, it may be realtime. I guess it's all game data + audio then.

AppleBlade

I was not interested at all in this game . . . . until someone compared it to the Club and I remembered playing the demo to that game and wanting to give it a try, though I didn't get to. I might pick this up after I'm done with Uncharted and Rayman.

After playing the first mission a few times, this game has really grown on me. It makes me want to try out all the operatives and run through everything multiple times and ways. Very interesting.

Just read this on CAG:

$10 Off Select Vita Games at Gamestop in store/online for PUR members:

- Uncharted: Golden Abyss
- Wipeout 2048
- Hot Shots Gold: World Invitational
- Little Deviants
- ModNation Racers: Roadtrip
- MLB 12 The Show
- Unit 13
- Reality Fighters

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316771

Coupon in the link.

Anyone else receive the coupon or can confirm this?

Even if my membership is the free one, I can still take advantage of this deal, correct? Just want to make sure lol.

jcutner

This game isn't going to have a proper "story" like Call of Duty, right? I get the impression you just manually pick the missions that you want to do, and they don't string together?

TriniTrin

war of titties grampa
Just read this on CAG:

$10 Off Select Vita Games at Gamestop in store/online for PUR members:

- Uncharted: Golden Abyss
- Wipeout 2048
- Hot Shots Gold: World Invitational
- Little Deviants
- ModNation Racers: Roadtrip
- MLB 12 The Show
- Unit 13
- Reality Fighters

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=316771

Coupon in the link.

Anyone else receive the coupon or can confirm this?

Even if my membership is the free one, I can still take advantage of this deal, correct? Just want to make sure lol.

good deal fo sho

Darkone

I think you are right. I'm playing all the modes right now and I keep missing a competitive multiplayer mode. That's because it controls so well and it's so satisfying shooting people here, while the AI is truly lacking.

Just a basic Deathmatch or Team Deathmatch would have done well, if they removed auto lock-on though.

I love sticking to walls, into cover, it feels so fulfilling! It's one of the most awesome games in recent time to sneak around in.

Maybe they will add Competitve threw an Update or something, we can only hope.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
This game isn't going to have a proper "story" like Call of Duty, right? I get the impression you just manually pick the missions that you want to do, and they don't string together?
Yeah, no story. It's a pick-up-and-play game.

billsmugs

The first time I started up the demo, there was no sound. The second time it didn't even load the Live Area page and I had to restart through the recovery menu. I was on the verge of deleting it but decided to try once more and I'm glad I did because it really surprised me, I'm not normally a shooter fan and I despise stealth missions in most games, but I love crouching behind a wall, waiting for a guard to pass before creeping up behind him and getting a stealth melee kill and the shooting controls are also excellent. This went from "boring generic shooter I don't care about" to "day one buy" after one run through of the demo mission.

Has everyone been trying the dynamic mission variant of the demo mission? It randomises your starting position, objectives and enemy placements and if there is enough variety in these for all the 36 levels then (particularly combined with the daily challenges) this could be a really long lasting title.

It's a shame there only appears to be about 9 maps in the full game. Can someone with a review copy confirm whether they are connected differently/have areas removed or added for different missions or are they always the same? Either way, some DLC missions in new areas would be nice and the lack of story means they shouldn't be too hard to add in (ie they don't have to tie in with an existing story in any way).

EDIT: In the tutorial, it says you can switch to scopes/red dot sights by pressing down on the d-pad, instead of using the touchscreen, but down and up both seem to be "reload" for me. Am I missing something in the options?

demolitio

I don't think that tweet is referencing Unit 13.

I don't think so either just by going off the controls comment because there's no way anyone could say it has horrible controls. Hell, Unit 13 is the game that convinced me shooters are possible on the Vita since the aiming is responsive.

Dammit!!! I kinda want to get this game, but at the same time I don't. If only it had even the flimsiest excuse for a campaign and story-line, just some overarching plot to tie the missions together, I wouldn't be hesitating like this...

Top Bottom