• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unit 13 |OT|

Vol5

Well, I think I'll pick this up. I keep going back to the demo and can see myself turning obsessed with beating each of my mission scores. The boss battles look like an interesting addition.

Controls are tight, it's fun. The graphics definitely could be better but it's no show-stopper.

KooPaL

Do any of you Unit 13 players wanna add me to your friend lists?

I have absolutely noone to play with online. Forever alone.

PSN ID: Anastacio

Hey! I am not sure whether I am getting the game but I really liked the demo so hopefully will be picking this up. I am curious though if you are Filipino since that is my grandfather's name haha. Regardless, I'd be adding you up so look out for my PSN: KooPaL-

NHale

The person reviewing Unit 13 for IGN is indeed Greg Miller. He tweeted this today:

For those asking, MLB 12: The Show and Unit 13 reviews go live tomorrow. @jackdrat is on MLB, I'm on 13. #myign

I hope that he at least finished the game before reviewing it...

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
The person reviewing Unit 13 for IGN is indeed Greg Miller. He tweeted this today:

I hope that he at least finished the game before reviewing it...

Agreed. I can't imagine the fallout if he trashes Unit 13 but admits he didn't finish. I suppose it is possible, but I can't imagine describing Unit 13's controls as being bad. Should be interesting.

Can't wait!!!!!! I hope Grace Chen hits the button for Unit 13 and MLB the Show at Midnight!!!!! I'm not sure i'm I'm going DD on The Show, but I know I am on Unit 13. It just seems so convenient for the Daily Challenges and stuff. Hell, DD might be the way to go for MLB to. Just punch the Icon and get a few RTTS games in!!!! Man I love this Vita!!!!!

Mesijs

Agreed. I can't imagine the fallout if he trashes Unit 13 but admits he didn't finish. I suppose it is possible, but I can't imagine describing Unit 13's controls as being bad. Should be interesting.

I think the obsession with finishing a game is overblown. Especially with this game, where you have a set of standalone missions. What difference does it make whether you finish 30 or 40 missions, it's not like you will suddenly rate the game way higher.

And I do not like the controls either. I like the control OPTIONS, such as taking cover, jumping over it, zoom, with the subtle touch add, but aiming itself feels too loose. I tweaked the rotation and acceleration speed but doesn't really solve the issue.

I have the full game btw, for review as well.

Update 1.01 is up:

"Co-op improvements"
"Added polish to targeting transition"

Daily challenges are already up.

Co-op is up and running. Saw a few games but haven't joined one yet.

There's a news feed which shows who's the leader/top score in the daily challenge as well as things you unlocked and when people post up new scores. Also, in the news feed, it said a new mission was unlocked. So I checked and mission 10 was unlocked, even though I have only played mission 1 lol. Guess it's that NEAR function they were talking about.

As for the controls, I guess you can say they aren't PERFECT but they're damn good. It'll take you just a few minutes to get the hang of things. I turned the sensitivity all the way up cause that's what I usually do in shooters but maybe i'll turn it down a little bit to help myself aim better. Aiming would be the only "complaint" i have with the controls but even then, it's not a big deal for me and it's not a game breaker. It's a matter of getting use to it and probably finding the right sensitivity but switching weapons..reloading..cover..everything else shouldnt give you a problem.

All I've played is the first mission and that was a good 10 minutes or so. As this is my first time with the game, I'll be taking my time with things so times will vary. 2nd mission was much shorter though. (you'll see what I'm talking about in the youtube video I posted below).

I played the regular mission then the dynamic mission. In terms of the difference, one thing I noticed was that during the dynamic missions, there looked to be more enemies and some of them even have grenade launchers lol. That was surprising. I haven't played dynamic a 2nd time so I can't say how different things would be that time.

A.I. doesn't seem dumb. Don't know how later levels play out but from what I've played, if they saw me they would shoot, or run and take cover or even try to come around me. If they "see something" they'll be on alert. Think MGS. After a few, they'll go back to their positions.

Yes, not the prettiest game but who cares? Still looks good in motion.

I'll be playing more in a few..more missions and going back to past missions and trying to increase my score/understand the scoring mechanic...and I'm looking forward to that.

Is it worth buying? Personally, yes. Even moreso with that $10 coupon Gamestop is giving. As a fan of the Socom PSP games, I was very much looking forward to this game since this game reminded me of those days and the demo made me even more excited. That right stick is a blessing with a game like this. No where close to beating this game and I already await a sequel.

Here's a video of the 2nd mission. Really short compared to the first mission but it can be longer if you choose to take out the other enemies to increase your score.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gj3-rtOXMgw&list=UUn7zG2coW7eplGKYZAtcZrw&index=1&feature=plcp

Here are a couple of pics I took:

2012-03-05-170938.jpg

2012-03-05-171607.jpg

2012-03-05-171742.jpg

2012-03-05-172702.jpg

2012-03-05-173003.jpg

2012-03-05-173303.jpg

2012-03-05-173604.jpg

2012-03-05-173311.jpg

Seventy5

I just had to work our Mass Effect midnight event, but I got home with my copy of this. Anyone looking for people to play with, add me on PSN. Firing this thing up!

Ken

Fine. I'll buy this tomorrow. I need something to fill that RE: Merenaries itch that Revelaiton's Raid mode couldn't fulfill.

If anyone wants to do add me for this game: nya_08

Seventy5

I just played a co-op mission and a couple solo missions. Online worked perfectly, got connected quick, voice chat was smooth and the mission was fun. I did the second mission also. It's a stealth mission, infil, steal the goods, exfil. It was over in like 3 minutes, perfect for a portable. I get a strong The Club meets MGS vibe from this, really digging it. Thumbs up so far.

billsmugs

What are the daily challenges like? (Or at least, what's today's one like?) If they're pretty different to the normal missions then it could be amazing, but if they're just specific iterations of the dynamic missions set up for everyone to do then that's not so great (but still good).

hagaf22

Neo Member
I ordered this from the TRU BOGO deal on sunday, kinda a bummer that they said it won't ship out till the 8th though. Can't wait to crack this open. Between this and the show, my vita will be getting some constant use.

Shikoro

Now I'm really close to the platinum. Only things left are one co-op game and getting everybody to level 10 (3 more characters). :D

Played the demo and loved it. Will defo pick up. If any Irish-GAF are reading I'd be up for some Co-op. Might take a look on Boards for any takers too!

Now I'm really close to the platinum. Only things left are one co-op game and getting everybody to level 10 (3 more characters). :D

Some questions:

-Is lenghty enough?

-How is the structure of the multiplayer mode? specific missions? if that is the case, are there plenty of them? because the coop is one the main reasons for me to get this.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Is the performance any faster in the final game? The framerate was kind of sluggish in the demo which made the game feel a bit sloppy and rough around the edges.

metta

9:00 a.m. EST and no sign of Unit 13 on the PSN.

I'm guessing it will show around 9:00 a.m. PST but does anyone have a sense of when the store is updated?

I'm guessing it will show around 9:00 a.m. PST but does anyone have a sense of when the store is updated?
If it's anything like the normal SEN update it should be somewhere in the 9:00 AM to 11:00 PM range (EST). They don't always hit that time frame though (too narrow).

nofi

Review embargo is up in 90 minutes, if that might be some indication for you.

Review embargo is up in 90 minutes, if that might be some indication for you.

Good stuff. I seriously hope Greg Miller's review isn't the one giving out about bad controls. I thought the game controlled especially well, better than the shooting in UC minus the gyro assist.

Good stuff. I seriously hope Greg Miller's review isn't the one giving out about bad controls. I thought the game controlled especially well, better than the shooting in UC minus the gyro assist.
I actually thought the controls were the biggest strength of the game based on the demo. They aren't quite as solid as the controls in a good shooter on PS3/360 but I see that as more of a hardware limitation than a problem with the game.

I actually thought the controls were the biggest strength of the game based on the demo. They aren't quite as solid as the controls in a good shooter on PS3/360 but I see that as more of a hardware limitation than a problem with the game.

Yeah, I really liked the controls. And to be fair the analog sticks are just something to get used to really.

I think this idea of game, with the way it's implementing scoring and leaderboards is excellent for Vita.

Yeah, I really liked the controls. And to be fair the analog sticks are just something to get used to really.

I think this idea of game, with the way it's implementing scoring and leaderboards is excellent for Vita.
I definitely adjusted to the sticks as I used them (playing through all of Uncharted with gyro assist and aim assist off) but they will never be as good as the sticks on a console controller because of their limited movement range. Still, they work well and it's hard to complain after playing so many TPS's on the PSP. :)

I definitely adjusted to the sticks as I used them (playing through all of Uncharted with gyro assist and aim assist off) but they will never be as good as the sticks on a console controller because of their limited movement range. Still, they work well and it's hard to complain after playing so many TPS's on the PSP. :)

True that, would love Peace Walker HD and am hoping we'll hear more about Retribution's updating for Vita. Would be god like with smooth aiming.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Really enjoyed the demo, but I have so much to catch up on I might try postponing this until later in the spring.

I thought the graphics were very nice. Simple but crisp.

True that, would love Peace Walker HD and am hoping we'll hear more about Retribution's updating for Vita. Would be god like with smooth aiming.
Is an actual update confirmed? or are we just guessing based on the fact they pulled Retribution off PSN and it seems a natural given the DS3 control mode they had in the original?

Anyone knows if it is possible to change the language in the demo? I hate translated versions and and the one I downloaded from the spanish PSN defaulted to spanish.

Is an actual update confirmed? or are we just guessing based on the fact they pulled Retribution off PSN and it seems a natural given the DS3 control mode they had in the original?

I was under the impression that Sony announced a number of titles would be getting updated versions to account for Vita's dual sticks, Retribution being one of them.

I could be wrong though. Also the fact that Bend had proposed a Retribution sequel before being put on Golden Abyss gives me hope will see a Retribution of some sort.

Anyone knows if it is possible to change the language in the demo? I hate translated versions and and the one I downloaded from the spanish PSN defaulted to spanish.

Most games will take the language that your Vita is configured to, if they support multiple languages in their download. If you've got your system in English, then I guess Unit 13's Spanish demo you downloaded doesn't have all the languages included.

Most games will take the language that your Vita is configured to, if they support multiple languages in their download. If you've got your system in English, then I guess Unit 13's Spanish demo you downloaded doesn't have all the languages included.

Yeah, that seems to be the case with this one. What I really hate is that nowhere in the description is the fact mentioned. At least it is a demo.

This is the reason I am sometimes not willing to buy stuff on the PSN and go retail. You can not always be sure that what you get will be multilingual.

nofi

Not sure about the final version, but the review code was split into about 3 different downloads, each with a 'pack' of languages included.

DBT85

The EU Blog just confirmed again that it is out on Wednesday across Europe but all UK retailers are still saying Friday. I wonder if the digital version will have a 2 day head start on the retail version in the UK.

A first for a console game?

Purexed

Banned
Just had my first co-op experience, and holy shit, I'm going to love playing multiplayer shooters on Vita. The voice chat is really solid, and the timed mission we had was a blast to get through. We had to communicate all match to get to the end of the 15 minute level.

Loving Unit 13!!

addyb

Just had my first co-op experience, and holy shit, I'm going to love playing multiplayer shooters on Vita. The voice chat is really solid, and the timed mission we had was a blast to get through. We had to communicate all match to get to the end of the 15 minute level.

Loving Unit 13!!

Sounds absolutely brilliant. I cannot wait!

Vol5

The EU Blog just confirmed again that it is out on Wednesday across Europe but all UK retailers are still saying Friday. I wonder if the digital version will have a 2 day head start on the retail version in the UK.

A first for a console game?

That's the kind of bonus Sony need to offer on digital copies if they are going to charge full whack. A couple of days (or weeks) head start would be a great sweetener.

Top Bottom